PC 1.3.1 : Mechanics and Controller Support!

Status
Not open for further replies.
A very comprehensive announcement post!:cool: The bundled adventure map is an awesome touch. I hope it's creators are rewarded for the epic amount of effort involved in crafting such great content.:happy: Also, thank you for pointing wiring enthusiasts to us once again:
Finally, if you're ready to step your game up, check out [T-MEC] or Terrarian Mechanical Engineering Corps, for all things wiring and automation!
We've started discussing the our first reactions in this thread. :D

Oh I just love that I can toggle on and off stuff from the PDA now !!!and also turn visible or hidden state of light pet and pet from the inv instead of dropping them inn and out!!!! I think pearlstone brick wall got new spite in inv not sure when placed but like it!!

Boreal leafs u looking good!

Just how much of this update requires a new world to be made? If it's just a few new traps, I can just mine those from a new one, but if it's more important... I'll have to give up a world with the perfect forest background/hollow placement for me, and corruption-proofing again will be a nightmare :<

the mushroom biome looks ~fabulous~ during bloodmoons. has this always been the case or is it new?
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=689600094

It has been like that for a while - I always thought it was a fairly neat change.

Just how much of this update requires a new world to be made? If it's just a few new traps, I can just mine those from a new one, but if it's more important... I'll have to give up a world with the perfect forest background/hollow placement for me, and corruption-proofing again will be a nightmare :<

Other than an item or two (the new trap comes to mind), I think you should be just fine staying where you are.

New traps and statues, mostly, all of which can be brought back and used in pre-1.3.1 worlds.

No new enemies/biomes/events that require a new world to get and use, afaik. You'll likely be just fine with your existing world.

original

If I got this right, the Stardust Wings and Nebula Mantle seem to have been buffed nicely. My Stardust Wings are finally faster and fly further than my Fishron Wings, although it doesn't seem to have the hover capability anymore. The Nebula Mantle still flies slowly horizontally, but it has the hover ability now and that allows you to fly incredibly fast.
If this was intentional... thank you. It was very disheartening to make some endgame wings only to find that they were pretty bad.

Just for clarification, critters can still be caught. However, the statue-spawned ones cannot be caught because it would be too easy to farm high-end bait from them (as opposed to the well known high-yield Grasshopper technique, which are only worth 10% bait power).

Now if only they would fix the natural firefly spawn rate, where 9 out of 10 days you can go an entire night and only see <10 fireflies (but yet you see dozens and dozens of birds even though birds IRL aren't nocturnal...). I was kinda excited about critter statues, but now they're rather useless since we can't catch the critters anyways. I was thinking "FINALLY! I don't have to wait 10+ game days derping around at my base hoping to get a dozen fireflies per night until I build up enough that will last me awhile"

... apparently not.

Quick question about statue spawned monsters. Do they have all the same drops, I set up a farm quickly for blood zombies and medusas.

My immediate feedback
Pre-gameplay

• Added Controller Support using Xinput.
  • Added Inventory Sorting.
  • Dart Traps & all Temple Traps can now be hammered to rotate 90 degrees at a time.
  • Added smart interact, making chatting with NPCs, opening doors and using objects easier.
  • Cannons (normal, bunny, confetti, Snowball Launcher) can now be controlled by wire and shoot fake projectiles!
  • Improved Smart Cursor & made it interact with more items.

These are really nice touches to the game. I've long wanted the traps to work like this.

• Improved the Settings Menu and added new settings.
  • Improved melee hit detection around slopes.
  • You can now use situational building accessories from your inventory and toggle their effects like info accessories.
  • Info icons now have a border around them when aimed at (clarity!).
  • Improved keybinding options, you can now also bind to mouse 3/4/5.

The new settings (I've checked on them) are interesting, and I'm glad you finally made mouse border customizeable. Slopes have for a long time had problematic hit detection, and I'm glad you now have more toggling options for accessories. This should help a lot for serious builders.

• Added Logic Gates (AND, NAND, OR, NOR, XOR, NXOR (and more)
  • Added The Grand Design.
  • Added Junction Box.
  • Added Mechanical Lens.
  • Added Announcement Box.
  • Added Static Hook.
  • Added Presserator.
  • Added Engineering Helmet.
  • Added Companion Cube.
  • Added Gem Locks.
  • Added 12 new craftable Critter Statues.
  • Added Portal Gun Station.
  • Added Trapped Chests.
  • Added Projectile Pressure Pad.
  • Added several new monster statues.
  • Added Angler Tackle Bag.
  • Added Geyser Trap.

Logic gates? You just entered a new world of wiring.
I'm dying to find out what the Static Hook is, and the companion cube fills me with glee.
Portal Gun station might remedy the portal gun somewhat, as I've repeatedly stated I thought it was terrible. But if the portals still vanish when too far away, and you thus would have to go back and trigger them again, this fails for me. We'll see.

Trapped chests? As in, chests rigged with traps when opened? Sign me up. It made stuff around you more interesting in Diablo 2.
Geyser trap? New traps are a bingo for me!

• You can now find Beehives in the Jungle - Not the bees!

Uhm. What does this mean? There are already beehives? Do you mean Jungle Surface?

• Medusa can no longer petrify players directly above her.
  • Medusa is now Hardmode-only.
  • Slimes should no longer be able to go through 1 block high gaps.

*sigh* and onto the bad news. While I don't expect everyone to agree, I always felt Medusa's nerfs were unnecessary given the cavern-like structures underground providing you with plenty of cover in most scenarios, added with the fact that her biome is avoidable, especially if you got killed in a certain area, as you know approximately where to not go. Given the sandbox nature of the game, you can easily proceed with caution and use blocks and building to iron her away, if she's really that much of a pest.

While she was nerfed to no longer serve as a good miniboss (who was honestly way less annoying than the wallhacking wyverns), the fact that you can now abuse her AI even more, makes me disappointed. Anyone who's played Terraria for more than a day knows that if you stand directly above ANY mob, they'll just stand right below you, trying to reach you. At this point, if Medusa can't even petrify you (Which wouldn't do much anyway, as you're out of reach), you've basically got yourself free farming for her head by just standing on a platform.

Then you went further and made her Hardmode-only. Despite the fact that she's a normalmode mob. And she is no longer dangerous in hardmode, especially when you hookshot to somewhere safe above her.

To me, Medusa lost all her vigor, slightly scary appeal and role as a "terrifying foe", when she got put away until she's no longer relevant, with further nerfs. I know I don't speak for everyone, as a lot of people find her to be "too hard", but I feel you could AT LEAST let Expert Mode have her be a challenging "let's hope we don't run into this legendary foe" twist. Expert Mode was made to appeal to the most hardcore of players, no? I never had an issue with Medusa, I infact loved her when initially introduced. Maybe it's because I'm of the "better players", but again, that's all the more reason to talk about Expert Mode.

I hope you reconsider when it comes to at least Expert Mode. Infact, I'd like her to be buffed and have a more important role as a miniboss; accessories like mirror sunglasses could be a way to combat her abilities and stun her for a few seconds, hit her, and quickly move back before she rips your face off.

Yes, it's okay if slimes are so slimy that they push themselves through 1-tile blocks in Expert Mode. It adds to the fun, and prevents players from abusing the fact that they can just build themselves inside a square, one a one-tile hole and hit enemies while not being hit back. Enemies will be knocked back, but at least this could prove some change of retaliation, sometimes.

• Fixed Flesh Grass spreading under Sunflowers.
  • Fixed Tally Counter not showing information for enemies hit with mounts or special attacks.
  • Fixed Wall of Flesh going above hell and dragging everyone with it.
  • Fixed ancient light and fishron bubbles not appearing in expert mode.
  • Fixed minor capitalization issue in the guide's help text.
  • Fixed star in a bottle buff not working.

Hilarious how the WoF could do that, I'd like to see it.
The guide's typo has been hurting my heart.
Star in a bottle buff? I never heard of this!

Last edited:
So... @Yoraiz0r any knowledge of when TShock is updated? Would be nicer to make adventure maps with that asap...

And great work @Lazure with the sprites, some of them have needed to be done since 1.1 xD

Oh I just love that I can toggle on and off stuff from the PDA now !!!and also turn visible or hidden state of light pet and pet from the inv instead of dropping them inn and out!!!! I think pearlstone brick wall got new spite in inv not sure when placed but like it!!

Boreal leafs u looking good!
Um... The PDA and pet visibility thing isn't new though. You could always do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom