Showcase [Showcase] Compact Portal Gun Station Automation That Cycles Through 3 Directions

JereTheJuggler

Spazmatism
Let's get right into the build, shall we? Here's a gif I made of it in action
http://i.imgur.com/M2cqWCk.gifv
and for easy reference sake,
WtK6d1X.png
6mmkYlx.png

The way it works is that the 3 second timer (which could be swapped out for 5 seconds) controls the whole operation, and you can have some other mechanism turning this on/off by connecting it to the blue wire that leads off-screen.

The timer is directly connected to the top dart trap, which fires and hits 2 pressure plates that activate and deactivate the top lamps of both AND gates as well as firing the middle and bottom dart traps.

The AND gates are what make the gun rotate, and whichever one has it's bottom lamp turned on is the one that rotates it. Because of the way the gates fire when activated and deactivated the portal gun actually rotates twice per cycle of the machine.

The middle dart trap is what decides what direction the gun should rotate in. The first pressure plate in front of the dart simply actuates the block past it, so the dart only goes through it every other time it's fired. The second pressure plate in front of the dart is what toggles which AND gate has its bottom lamp on.

The bottom dart trap merely serves as a delay to make sure the gun rotates first and then shoots, as the pressure plate in front of it simply makes the gun fire.

Nice portal canon control. :) So this particular kind of setup might be for a nifty adventure map puzzle type thing?

I'd like to see how this might be setup as a transport network, at regular intervals (due to their limited range). I'm dubious that they could be that much more convenient than a teleporter network (since the Grand Design hit the scene), but they would certainly have their own style!

Nice portal canon control. :) So this particular kind of setup might be for a nifty adventure map puzzle type thing?

I'd like to see how this might be setup as a transport network, at regular intervals (due to their limited range). I'm dubious that they could be that much more convenient than a teleporter network (since the Grand Design hit the scene), but they would certainly have their own style!

As for the adventure map applications, I have been thinking about it, and that is why I made the device. The biggest problem however is that if you have a portal gun, you have control over both orange and cyan, no ifs ands or buts about it, whereas in the actual portal games you either have no gun and a few stations or you have a station that fires one color while your portal gun can only fire the other color.

I also don't really know about the practical application of this as an alternative to teleporters because the station can only shoot sideways and above the horizon, which would make a system completely dependent on them rather difficult to achieve.

The biggest problem however is that if you have a portal gun, you have control over both orange and cyan, no ifs ands or buts about it

Most adventure map "rules" would recommend getting rid of your gun to play in the spirit of the map. If you use the top portion of the cannon you can change portal colors which could give you more control over where the player has options to go using multiple portal gun stations. You could leverage @ZeroGravitas one use activation to control what color or how many times a particular source or destination portal would be available:

Most adventure map "rules" would recommend getting rid of your gun to play in the spirit of the map
Oh, no, that's not what I meant. If I didn't want the player to have the portal gun I just wouldn't give them one, because part of the rules would be to start with a new character, which is the case for almost all adventure/puzzle maps. When I said that I was referring to how in the real portal you can have a gun that only shoots orange and have a station that shoots cyan, but that's not possible with Terraria because you can't disable a color on a gun (which I'm not suggesting the devs add because that'd be rather impractical).

Back
Top Bottom