Terraria 1.3 Low FPS

PartyRockVamp

Skeletron Prime
Hi, ive just updated terraria 1.3 and still has problems like 1.2.4.1 with frame skip on. Iam getting max of 45 FPS with frame skip and no frames skip has laggy mouse
PC Specs:
Intel Core i5 4690K
8GB RAM
nVidia GTX 960 2G

Hi, ive just updated terraria 1.3 and still has problems like 1.2.4.1 with frame skip on. Iam getting max of 45 FPS with frame skip and no frames skip has laggy mouse
PC Specs:
Intel Core i5 4690K
8GB RAM
nVidia GTX 960 2G

Read the troubleshooting section.

Hi,

Welcome to PC Support Section.

In order to further assist you, please verify the following information below before proceeding. Please, we remind you that Terraria has certain requirements in order to function properly on your system. If you fail to check these requirements you may encounter errors or issues.

To avoid errors or mistakes, please consider posting your System Specifications. You can obtain this information by Right-Clicking My Computer on your system. You will get basic information about your Processor and RAM. If you wish to get a full detailed list, you can use third party software to determine your specifications or salvage the information from the Device Manager (Advanced Users). You may also use the available and recommended Third Party Software to gain your full system specifications for our technicians.

How to improve your support thread
  • Post screenshots of errors
    • You can use the PRINT SCR key on your keyboard to paste your current monitor to the clipboard.
  • Provide your system specifications
  • Provide your current mandatory dependencies versions (XNA & .NET)

Be reminded this post is intended to simply your next reply and ease our troubleshooting. If you fail to provide detailed information, it becomes a tedious task to determine what caused your problem. Please be kind enough to follow these simple steps and helpful tips!

NOTE: If you are using an illegal copy of the game, you will receive no support, this process determines if you are using a legal copy.

Before you ask, check in these threads to solve your issues:

Available Third Party Software
System Requirements
  • Processor: 1.6 Ghz (Single Core)
  • Memory: 512 MB
  • Hard Disk Space: 200 MB
  • Video Card: 128 MB Video Memory, Shader Model 1.1 Support
  • DirectX®: 9.0c or Greater
Game Dependencies (MUST Install)
Troubleshooting Your Problem with TerrariaServer.exe
In order to figure out what your problem is with the game, we require that you run the Terraria Server Client (TerrariaServer.exe). This will display any errors or successes on launch. Should there be any errors from the program itself, use the command prompt and copy the error to display it here.
  1. Right click within the Command Prompt.
  2. In the drop-down menu, select Mark.
  3. Once you made a selection, Right Click or Press Enter to copy.
  4. Paste your results in your thread.
If you have trouble with the above instructions, your system might be showing "Not Responding" or your System may need to be rebooted to start clean.

Before proceeding any further, please delete the config.dat file located in your Terraria Folder under My Documents/My Games. Then start Terraria again, this may fix some unexplained issues, but we wish to make sure you are running a nice and clean installation:
  1. Locate My Documents Folder.
  2. Open My Games Folder.
  3. Open Terraria Folder.
  4. Delete Config.dat file from this location.
Verify Terraria's Steam Cache
If your game is unresponsive at times it is recommended you do a Verify Steam Cache with the game provided for Steam (This does not include GOG Version).
  1. Goto My Library on Steam.
  2. Right-Click Terraria and Select Properties.
  3. Goto Local Files Tab.
  4. Now Select Verify Integrity of Game Cache.
If you have trouble with the above instructions, you may be using a different provider or retailer.
Frequently Asked Questions

Q: My world has corrupted somehow and will not load properly, what can I do?
A: You may have corrupted the world by using modded clients, computer shutdown before the world could complete the save, or system failure within Terraria that caused the problem. You can try attempting to load your world using TEdit (Download).

Q: My game is not launching, or I get errors regarding XNA/.NET Framework!
A: You can attempt to make sure you have all Game Dependencies first, then try attempting this solution:

If you don't feel like sifting through all that, it's basically to do with the framework permissions.

This is how you change the right to use Framework/XNA:
  1. Right-Click the specific directory (Listed Below).
  2. Select Properties.
  3. Select the Security Tab
  4. Click on Advanced Option
  5. Select the Owner Tab
  6. Click on the bottom button to Edit.
  7. On this window select the Administrator in the row and make sure to select the Checkboxes below.
  8. Hit Apply and close all the windows.
  9. Try running the game again.
Do the above for all of the following FOLDERS:

C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\assembly\GAC_32:
Microsoft.Xna.Framework\v4.0_4.0.0.0__842cf8be1de50553
Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game\v4.0_4.0.0.0__842cf8be1de50553
Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics\v4.0_4.0.0.0__842cf8be1de50553
Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Xact\v4.0_4.0.0.0__842cf8be1de50553

C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\assembly\GAC_MSIL:
Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Avatar\v4.0_4.0.0.0__842cf8be1de50553
Microsoft.Xna.Framework.GamerServices\v4.0_4.0.0.0__842cf8be1de50553
Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Input.Touch\v4.0_4.0.0.0__842cf8be1de50553
Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Net\v4.0_4.0.0.0__842cf8be1de50553
Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Storage\v4.0_4.0.0.0__842cf8be1de50553
Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Video\v4.0_4.0.0.0__842cf8be1de50553

Q: Steam has reported that one (1) file has failed verification and was downloaded?
A: This file is known as the serverconfig.txt file. Originally this file shouldn't be packed with the game as Terraria should create this file automatically on launch if it is missing or out of date. Due to it being changed and updated by server owners, the file will constantly fail the verification process. This has no effect on playing the game, and can be ignored.

Q: I am experiencing low frame rate for Terraria, but the machine passes as recommended?
A: If you are using nVidia Control Panel, you can select Terraria.exe process and change the specifications on how your graphic card handles the game. Follow these instructions:
  1. Open nVidia Control Panel.
  2. Select Manage 3D Settings.
  3. Choose Program Settings Tab.
  4. Select Terraria as current program.
  5. Turn Triple buffering and Vertical sync to On.
  6. Run Terraria and turn Frame Skip to Off.
  7. The application should be running better than your current setup.

Tried everything and this is bot, auto or Ctrl+C -Ctrl+V message
Q: I am experiencing low frame rate for Terraria, but the machine passes as recommended?
A: If you are using nVidia Control Panel, you can select Terraria.exe process and change the specifications on how your graphic card handles the game. Follow these instructions:

I see that you are still experiencing this issue:

When you will fix frame skip capping FPS at 42? It's annoying to force Vsync and have 60FPS with lagging mouse

We do not globally cap FPS below 60 with frameskip on; I run the game with Frameskip ON at 1920x1080 windowed and default nVidia settings, and I get a consistent 60 FPS with no video or mouse lag. My specs:

Intel i5-3570K @3.40GHz
16 GB RAM
nVidia GeForce GTX 660 w/2GB VRAM
Win7x64 Home Premium

If you haven't done so already: check the Video settings in Terraria and set Multi-Core Lighting to OFF, and see if that improves anything (assuming it was ON).

Last edited:
I see that you are still experiencing this issue:

We do not globally cap FPS below 60 with frameskip on; I run the game with Frameskip ON at 1920x1080 windowed and default nVidia settings, and I get a consistent 60 FPS with no video or mouse lag. My specs:

Intel i5-3570K @3.40GHz
16 GB RAM
nVidia GeForce GTX 660 w/2GB VRAM
Win7x64 Home Premium

If you haven't done so already: check the Video settings in Terraria and set Multi-Core Lighting to OFF, and see if that improves anything (assuming it was ON).
I tried everything and the FPS still stuck at 43 when frame skip on. And multicore lighting is off
If this helps you then here are my updated specs:
Intel Core i5 4690K 4.5GHz
16 GB RAM
nVidia GeForce GTX 960 2G
Windows 10 Pro

I'm guessing that Windows 10 might be the culprit here; a web search for 'windows 10 fps' turns up a LOT of issues for many games. Some seem to have solutions, your mileage may vary. I don't have a machine with Win 10, so I can't say definitely this is the issue, but you have an objectively better setup than I do, and the OS is the one big difference.

I also recalled this post a couple of weeks ago: http://kotaku.com/windows-10-getting-much-needed-gaming-improvements-toda-1775780063
Perhaps this will offer some insight.

I'll ask around the beta team to see if they turned up anything related to this.

I'm guessing that Windows 10 might be the culprit here; a web search for 'windows 10 fps' turns up a LOT of issues for many games. Some seem to have solutions, your mileage may vary. I don't have a machine with Win 10, so I can't say definitely this is the issue, but you have an objectively better setup than I do, and the OS is the one big difference.

I also recalled this post a couple of weeks ago: http://kotaku.com/windows-10-getting-much-needed-gaming-improvements-toda-1775780063
Perhaps this will offer some insight.

I'll ask around the beta team to see if they turned up anything related to this.
It was same on windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

It was same on windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Well, I really don't know what else to tell you then.

I did check with the testers (and even with Cenx) - a lot of testing was done on Win10 (and Win7/8.1), and they aren't able to replicate such a drastic FPS drop. It's quite difficult to address an issue that they can't replicate or directly observe. They are aware that there are some reports of this issue, and they will keep it in mind.

Well, I really don't know what else to tell you then.

I did check with the testers (and even with Cenx) - a lot of testing was done on Win10 (and Win7/8.1), and they aren't able to replicate such a drastic FPS drop. It's quite difficult to address an issue that they can't replicate or directly observe. They are aware that there are some reports of this issue, and they will keep it in mind.
Maybe too powerfull PC? or overclock?

Maybe too powerfull PC? or overclock?
I wouldn't think it's that.

My MB overclocks my CPU slightly, and it's unlocked so I could tweak it more if I wanted. I've done nothing that I know of to tweak to get any extra performance. Haven't really touched the nVidia settings at all.

I'm guessing from those specs that you're dealing with a desktop vs a laptop - did you build it or buy it off-the shelf? Has it got adequate power and cooling?

I wouldn't think it's that.

My MB overclocks my CPU slightly, and it's unlocked so I could tweak it more if I wanted. I've done nothing that I know of to tweak to get any extra performance. Haven't really touched the nVidia settings at all.

I'm guessing from those specs that you're dealing with a desktop vs a laptop - did you build it or buy it off-the shelf? Has it got adequate power and cooling?
Yeah, 700W power supply, Water cooling for the CPU - 360mm rad and ASUS DirectCU 2 cooling. Nothing ever reaches 70`C or more

EDIT: I built that PC

Try this:

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: My world has corrupted somehow and will not load properly, what can I do?
A: You may have corrupted the world by using modded clients, computer shutdown before the world could complete the save, or system failure within Terraria that caused the problem. You can try attempting to load your world using TEdit (Download).

Q: My game is not launching, or I get errors regarding XNA/.NET Framework!
A: You can attempt to make sure you have all Game Dependencies first, then try attempting this solution:

If you don't feel like sifting through all that, it's basically to do with the framework permissions.

This is how you change the right to use Framework/XNA:
  1. Right-Click the specific directory (Listed Below).
  2. Select Properties.
  3. Select the Security Tab
  4. Click on Advanced Option
  5. Select the Owner Tab
  6. Click on the bottom button to Edit.
  7. On this window select the Administrator in the row and make sure to select the Checkboxes below.
  8. Hit Apply and close all the windows.
  9. Try running the game again.
Do the above for all of the following FOLDERS:

C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\assembly\GAC_32:
Microsoft.Xna.Framework\v4.0_4.0.0.0__842cf8be1de50553
Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game\v4.0_4.0.0.0__842cf8be1de50553
Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics\v4.0_4.0.0.0__842cf8be1de50553
Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Xact\v4.0_4.0.0.0__842cf8be1de50553

C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\assembly\GAC_MSIL:
Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Avatar\v4.0_4.0.0.0__842cf8be1de50553
Microsoft.Xna.Framework.GamerServices\v4.0_4.0.0.0__842cf8be1de50553
Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Input.Touch\v4.0_4.0.0.0__842cf8be1de50553
Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Net\v4.0_4.0.0.0__842cf8be1de50553
Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Storage\v4.0_4.0.0.0__842cf8be1de50553
Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Video\v4.0_4.0.0.0__842cf8be1de50553

Q: Steam has reported that one (1) file has failed verification and was downloaded?
A: This file is known as the serverconfig.txt file. Originally this file shouldn't be packed with the game as Terraria should create this file automatically on launch if it is missing or out of date. Due to it being changed and updated by server owners, the file will constantly fail the verification process. This has no effect on playing the game, and can be ignored.

Alternate Solution (The Aero Mode Bug)
  1. Goto your Desktop.
  2. Right Click and Select Personalize.
  3. Enable Aero Mode by selecting an Aero Background Option.
  4. You can also go Fullscreen Mode while Disabled Aero Mode.
Q: Experiencing an XAudio Driver Issue?
A: Check this out about the error: http://forums.terraria.org/index.ph...out-due-to-xaudio2_6-dll-on-windows-10.32894/

I'm Also Having These Problems Of Low FPS, My Terraria Is In The Low And It Runs To 22Fps Ocilando Of 22Fps To 5Fps
Although There Is A Game In 3D Battle In Arena Called "Paladins" That Rotates In High At 30Fps Or More

Re-Logic, Terraria Optimization Not Very Good No, At 1.3 It Still Staged At 30Fps, More Dps Has Been Decaying, Right Now I Closing Explorer And All, It Still Hangs
Can I Be Fooling Myself In Something, Could More Please See This? For the Good of the Community That Likes This Game?

"And If Someone Pronounces Is Wrong, It's Because I'm From Brazil and Was Using Google Translate"

I'm Also Having These Problems Of Low FPS, My Terraria Is In The Low And It Runs To 22Fps Ocilando Of 22Fps To 5Fps
Although There Is A Game In 3D Battle In Arena Called "Paladins" That Rotates In High At 30Fps Or More

Re-Logic, Terraria Optimization Not Very Good No, At 1.3 It Still Staged At 30Fps, More Dps Has Been Decaying, Right Now I Closing Explorer And All, It Still Hangs
Can I Be Fooling Myself In Something, Could More Please See This? For the Good of the Community That Likes This Game?

"And If Someone Pronounces Is Wrong, It's Because I'm From Brazil and Was Using Google Translate"

Its .NET limitations, nothing with Terraria or Developers fault of using .NET. Simply is the limit of its ability. However, I run Terraria on basic level fine, so there must be content you are not providing us with that explains your drop. Have you completed the Marathon achievement?

This is for people like me, that are browsing a old post looking for answers, try zooming all the way out. This helps with mine as if I am not it seems to only get ~45.
I am not sure why it does this though.

Back
Top Bottom