Portal Gun Station Wiring Systems

Clara

Terrarian
With projectile pressure plates it is easy to do a lot of things in combination with dart trap and similar items, especial useful for timing when things are activated. All traps have about a 3 second cooldown between each use, there are other items that can create projectiles when wired such as cannons, snowball launchers and firework boxes, all probably have some funky unique uses but portal gun stations from what I can tell are more useful than any traps or other items, because of these features:

-Shoots projectile that can activate projectile pressure plates
-Cooldown between use is a fraction of a second
-Projectile goes extremely fast, from what I can tell it goes over multiple pressure plates every frame
-It can be wired to change angles, essentially storing 9 different states

I have not worked out how fast the projectile travels exactly in all 3 possible speeds, honey (slow), water (medium) and no liquid (fast), it would be useful to see the exact numbers.

Here is a little setup:
va1BhzO.gif

The top part shows just how fast it travels.

The bottom part shows an engine, repeating itself until it is closed off, this is the smallest possible space this would work using honey. Any smaller then the cooldown prevents the station from firing again.

Wiring:
926d2ff43be24bd298a790b2d0f37f65.png

I was wondering if that would work (portal cannon and cyan plate), but never got around to testing it. That's pretty cool. I can definitely see this becoming popular for certain uses.

Just for information purposes:
The portal gun station looks to have a cool down of 30 ticks. I activates again on tick 31, which is consistent with what I've seen with mob statue cool down.
bY4n6ND.gif

The projectile travels ~350 tiles in 1 second, which is 5.83 tiles per tick. It can activate all teal plates it crosses, making it the only thing I know that can hit more than one plate per tick
nWpVCzG.png

wcMsbZY.png
I tried to use my counter for this, but it got smoked lol

All traps have about a 3 second cooldown between each use
Except the spear traps with a 1.5s cooldown (but that's still 3 times longer than a portal gun station).

Awesome little setup demo. I'd had a portal gun self-repeating across the entire width of my lab-space, but I'd not thought to try firing it through honey yet! I'm counting the length of that honey track at ~43 tiles (using an actual rule, on screen), that right? Which would be 350tiles/s....
The projectile travels ~350 tiles in 1 second
divide by 2, because it should be repeating (just under) 2 times per second, and divide by 4, as that's the standard slow-down factor for honey immersion = 43.75 tiles, yeah.

So 87.5 tiles/s. It's kind of a shame that doesn't work out as a nice integer number of tiles per second, since this will alternate between triggering 1, 1, and 2 plates per tick. But then with hoiktronics for that anyway, I guess. :)

Also, nice hat @Baih! ;) (And thanks for the post.)
[doublepost=1464338085,1464337990][/doublepost]Oh, and @Bahamut, I'm intrigued, will your super-counter count every single plate activation from a (full speed) portal gun projectile???

Oh, and @Bahamut, I'm intrigued, will your super-counter count every single plate activation from a (full speed) portal gun projectile???
As it is now, no. The projectile speed causes the gates to to puff smoke. I tried at first, but I was getting numbers like 3 - 20 acts/s. (which was clearly wrong) They were still numbers, however, (not odd configurations of segments) so that tells me its breaking at the counter.

I'll have to see if I can modify it, so it can handle the speed.

Back
Top Bottom