tModLoader Class Based RPG Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've mentioned before, but this is a big part of why I would like an NPC to sell "class change" scrolls (resetting you to level one as whatever class, but without starting items). It opens up the mod to people without the need to make new characters. That and because I think an NPC is needed anyway, so you can check on your progress, what level-up bonuses you've recieved, what your active and passive abilities are, etc...if you forget. `:p
You'd probably only forget if you stopped using the mod for awhile, like if you were to not play Terraria for awhile, and in that case it'd be more likely, at least for me, to make a new character.

Has anybody made some serious progression on a Soulbound yet? Like, how strong is it as you're going into hardmode and are you doing strictly summons only? I want to try a summon only Soulbound I'm just worried that it may not be that viable the more progress you make due to less mobbing. I really love the theme of it though, so I'm very curious to see what people say.

Has anybody made some serious progression on a Soulbound yet? Like, how strong is it as you're going into hardmode and are you doing strictly summons only? I want to try a summon only Soulbound I'm just worried that it may not be that viable the more progress you make due to less mobbing. I really love the theme of it though, so I'm very curious to see what people say.
I'm playing Soulbound, but I'm not in hardmode yet, nor is it a summon only. Now that I did some fishing and got reaver shark, I do have the imp staff, and will probably beat up the queen soon. I'm focusing on magic as a secondary, which for the most part so far hasn't really been a secondary, but with an imp staff I could probably use it less. It should be viable, maybe. Depends on if you'll have other mods.

I'm playing Soulbound, but I'm not in hardmode yet, nor is it a summon only. Now that I did some fishing and got reaver shark, I do have the imp staff, and will probably beat up the queen soon. I'm focusing on magic as a secondary, which for the most part so far hasn't really been a secondary, but with an imp staff I could probably use it less. It should be viable, maybe. Depends on if you'll have other mods.
Interesting... Yeah, I have a plethora of mods. I'm looking forward to trying it out soon.

Interesting... Yeah, I have a plethora of mods. I'm looking forward to trying it out soon.
If either of you find it to be significantly weaker than other classes, let me know so I can make adjustments.

If either of you find it to be significantly weaker than other classes, let me know so I can make adjustments.
I most definitely can. I want to assume that it should be strong because it's damage is altered by minion capacity but we'll see. I'll make one soon and start going through phm and go into hm. I don't mind flip-flopping multiple characters for the sake of mod feedback, which by the way, I'm totally digging Ninja so far!

Edit: Like I said, the only reason why I'm a little worried is because summoning is powerful due to it's mobbing capabilities. Feedback is on its way!
[doublepost=1465326667,1465326172][/doublepost]
There's a 30 second cooldown currently, so 20 seconds downtime. If popular opinion is that there should be no cooldown, I'll take it into consideration.
If anything, don't make it instant, make it at least a 15 second cooldown, that way there's at least 5 seconds of downtime, you know? From first glance I would say a 15/20 second cooldown wouldn't be too overpowered.
[doublepost=1465326945][/doublepost]
I, uh... seem to have forgotten about sentry summons. Soulbound might be a little broken if you use those. I'll look into a way to make the distinction between the two and make sure they aren't getting that ridiculous damage boost.

Edit: Looks like the sentry summons aren't even categorized as minions, so I'll probably have to make changes individually by ID. Don't think there's a way for me to detect modded sentries.

Edit2: Alright, the vanilla sentries are fixed for the next patch. The item will still display their damage as if it were really high, but they will ignore the Soulbound damage bonus. I decided not to mess with the Stardust Guardian's damage, since he's awfully weak already and I wish he was better.
So, if I'm understanding this, sentries aren't getting a damage bonus? That's disappointing. I feel like it's already going to be pretty challenging with one minion. The sentry would probably allow you to go pure summoner with little issues. Again, this is just speculation. I'm gonna go ahead and whip that character up now.

Edit: Maybe you could calculate it so that sentries could get half of the bonus or something? That way they don't feel left out. I could also be misunderstanding your post and the sentries could be super strong, if so, I'll correct my post or delete some things, haha.

Last edited:
What about demon-class? He is fixed? Demon is very strange - absolutely no balance. Flames no limits and often no shooting.
I have 20+ spheres around character - every enemy dying of touch me.

I've mentioned before, but this is a big part of why I would like an NPC to sell "class change" scrolls (resetting you to level one as whatever class, but without starting items). It opens up the mod to people without the need to make new characters. That and because I think an NPC is needed anyway, so you can check on your progress, what level-up bonuses you've recieved, what your active and passive abilities are, etc...if you forget. `:p
I personally don't like the idea of being able to change class, but I'm otherwise fine with this. Just know that I won't be spriting a town NPC, so either someone else would do it and post it here/send it to me or I'd just recolor some vanilla NPC.

I most definitely can. I want to assume that it should be strong because it's damage is altered by minion capacity but we'll see. I'll make one soon and start going through phm and go into hm. I don't mind flip-flopping multiple characters for the sake of mod feedback, which by the way, I'm totally digging Ninja so far!

Edit: Like I said, the only reason why I'm a little worried is because summoning is powerful due to it's mobbing capabilities. Feedback is on its way!
[doublepost=1465326667,1465326172][/doublepost]
If anything, don't make it instant, make it at least a 15 second cooldown, that way there's at least 5 seconds of downtime, you know? From first glance I would say a 15/20 second cooldown wouldn't be too overpowered.
[doublepost=1465326945][/doublepost]
So, if I'm understanding this, sentries aren't getting a damage bonus? That's disappointing. I feel like it's already going to be pretty challenging with one minion. The sentry would probably allow you to go pure summoner with little issues. Again, this is just speculation. I'm gonna go ahead and whip that character up now.

Edit: Maybe you could calculate it so that sentries could get half of the bonus or something? That way they don't feel left out. I could also be misunderstanding your post and the sentries could be super strong, if so, I'll correct my post or delete some things, haha.
Sentries still get your regular minion damage bonus, but not the huge bonus that your single minion enjoys. That would give the class far too much of a power spike when sentries become available (100 damage spider queen, 600 damage frost hydra, etc. right when they become available) - if it's too weak, power should be given somewhere more easily balanced. Also be aware that sentries don't get the speed bonus from the active, since the idea is that you're tied to that one minion you've summoned.

What about demon-class? He is fixed? Demon is very strange - absolutely no balance. Flames no limits and often no shooting.
I have 20+ spheres around character - every enemy dying of touch me.
I haven't updated the mod since I made those fixes. It will come soon enough.

Is there a way to see my current bonuses / current class?
Not yet. Best way to go about it is to remove all your equipment and see how your stats compare to a new character.

Sentries still get your regular minion damage bonus, but not the huge bonus that your single minion enjoys. That would give the class far too much of a power spike when sentries become available (100 damage spider queen, 600 damage frost hydra, etc. right when they become available) - if it's too weak, power should be given somewhere more easily balanced. Also be aware that sentries don't get the speed bonus from the active, since the idea is that you're tied to that one minion you've summoned.
Ah, gotcha. That makes plenty of sense to me now. 'preciate you clearing that up.

So, I feel I should mention that the Slimy Saddle and Blessed Apple deal summon damage. I think it's fine to keep the buffs they get with Soulbound, but I also feel like I should mention it.

So, I feel I should mention that the Slimy Saddle and Blessed Apple deal summon damage. I think it's fine to keep the buffs they get with Soulbound, but I also feel like I should mention it.
Ah, I'd forgotten about that. Man, if I'd thought about all the other stuff that works off minion damage I would have taken another angle for this. These aren't primary sources of damage at any point in the game, so I'll just leave them be.

I did mention the unicorn's charge attack previously with the Cavalry though forgot to mention that fact. Sorry.

There's also the Alien Mount's laser eyes. Scuttle was it?

I did mention the unicorn's charge attack previously with the Cavalry though forgot to mention that fact. Sorry.

There's also the Alien Mount's laser eyes. Scuttle was it?
The wiki didn't say what damage it does, so I'm not sure. It might, if I ever get that mount I'll test it out.

Its a set ammount of summon damage. All mounts deal summon damage. This was stated when that alien mount was revealed

Hey @Hiccup251 , how limited are you with coding things? I had an idea for a class but I wasn't sure if it'd be too extreme. It was basically gonna be something similar to Soulbound. I was gonna call it Hunter. The class would maybe have a choice of two types of summons (ranged or melee, think slime or hornet but not those as the choices) and instead of having to summon them with a staff they'd be a bound "pet" that levels up with you as you kill bosses and whatnot. You yourself would deal ranged damage and deal less of the other types. Now, what the pets would be is up to you. I wasn't sure what the limitations are. Maybe spriting a hawk or maybe tweaking a bird's sprite and that could become the flying melee type. I'm not sure about the ranged type of minion. I was thinking that when you select the Hunter contract you'd get a consumable that'd give you one or the other.

What makes this different to Soulbound is that Soulbound characters have the ability to change their summon/pet whenever they want to, allowing variety. With the Hunter your decision will impact your playstyle. What are your thoughts? Would that be a project outside of this mod or do you think it may have some potential?

Edit: Just thought of something amazing. What if we took it a step further and made it so that if you chose the ranged pet you'd get bonuses with melee instead of ranged and with the melee pet you'd get bonuses with ranged, or do you think that might be too complicated?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom