Recent content by Bethany

1. Bethany

tModLoader Not all code paths return a value

*thumbs up* Programming is a great skill to pick up. Learning C# will help you if you want to try web programming using PHP and JavaScript — the languages are different but their syntax and many operations are based on the C language.
  2. Bethany

Casual Random Chitchat Thread

English is more confusing than many languages partly because it's a mashup of so many other languages. At the core it's West Germanic but with a lot of French, Latin, and Old Norse, and plenty of borrowed vocabulary from practically any region you can think of thanks to England's imperial...
  3. Bethany

You'll definitely need to learn programming in general and C# specifically, or else you're going to run into one roadblock after another. Try this free ebook (you have to sign up for occasional emails but can cancel any time) — Syncfusion Free Ebooks | C# Succinctly It includes stuff you won't...
  4. Bethany

I don't know Terraria modding but have programmed professionally in C# for many years. My advice here addresses C# itself, with an informed guess as to the Terraria side of the affair. If you declare a return type for a function, you must return a value of that type. CanUseItem() doesn't return...
  5. Bethany

You're right to associate the two, since both potion and potable come from the same Latin root, potare (to drink). Similarly, lotion (originally meaning a liquid used when washing) is related to the species name of the common North American raccoon, Procyon lotor ("before-the-dog washer"...
  6. Bethany

Google knows all, tells all. Usually. https://katherinebarber.blogspot.com/2014/08/why-is-today-first-not-oneth.html Also, Etymology Online. first | Etymology, origin and meaning of first by etymonline The blog item has links to "second" and "third". For etymonline, you can type any word into...
  7. Bethany

Since my metabolism no longer runs as hot as when I was a kid, Krispy Kremes are now about a once-a-decade treat for me. So I'll have two, maybe three more before I die. Them's the breaks.
  8. Bethany

What you did there: I see it.
  9. Bethany

The doughnut is derived from the Dutch olikoek (Americanized form: olycoke). The defining characteristic is that they're cooked by frying in hot oil, deep fat, or lard; "olikoek" = oil-cake. There are yeast doughnuts, which are light and have bubble-holes in the interior like baguette, and...
  10. Bethany

Other The ability to place an anvil on a work bench.

Sorry — I was using "acorns" as a short way of referring to the very un-scientific way tree seeds behave in Terraria. In the real world, no matter where you plant an acorn it will grow into an oak tree (or won't grow at all). In Terraria, you get different species of trees depending on what...
  11. Bethany

Hence my last sentence, "It's game logic, doesn't need to be workable in the real world." Acorns.
  12. Bethany

Mobile Can someone draw the hardmode v on this map?

Haven't played recent versions, but in my experience it's not even a V every time. You can get an X.
  13. Bethany

I own actual anvils of several sizes. You would not want to do full-sized anvil work on a regular wooden workbench. Not only would it need to support the anvil's weight, but the weight of the workpiece and the force of hammer blows. How about the heavy workbench? Seems likely it would be...
  14. Bethany

NPCs & Enemies Turkor and lepus in the next update for nostalgia reasons!

All the console/mobile-exclusive bosses are IP of the company (companies?) that made them, from what I've read here in the past. I'm not an authority on this, just passing along posts from earlier.
Back
Top Bottom