Recent content by Nicol Bolas

1. Nicol Bolas

Terraria State of the Game - December 2020

They shouldn't serve a progression purpose. Their purpose is to be a reward for exploration, to break up the monotony of digging underground because you sometimes find something interesting. It's a unique alternative to ruined cabins and the like. Not everything in the game needs to be about...
  2. Nicol Bolas

Terraria State of the Game - November 2020

... am I the only one who remembers that there was a 3 week span when Console had achieved parity with the PC? I mean yes, 1.4 came out on PC a few weeks later, but no port of Terraria had managed to achieve parity with PC since 1.1. Updates were faster. Things slowed down when Pipeworks...
  3. Nicol Bolas

Having actually done game development before, they're not so much "rose-colored" as "reality-colored". This isn't NCIS, where two people can bang on the same keyboard to do stuff faster. Game development in general, and programming in particular, takes time. And for what it's worth, I've...
  4. Nicol Bolas

Considering that they got the handoff of code only in August (maybe), and there are only about 33 days left in the year, I'd say that's exceptionally fast. You're talking about 6 months to get up to speed on a foreign codebase, port in substantial changes and assets, and then add in controller...
  5. Nicol Bolas

Different developers have different ideas of what the different stages mean, so there's no exact, widely-agreed-upon definition of "alpha". But broadly speaking, pre-alpha is just full development. Alpha generally represents a feature complete status; everything that's going to go into the game...
  6. Nicol Bolas

1.4 is only what, 7 months old at this point? You probably waited longer than that for 1.3 on console. And given that they've had a complete change-out of developers, that's not an unexpected time to wait. It went really well. Consoles had feature parity with PCs. Granted, it was only for like...
  7. Nicol Bolas

Rounding Out the Journey: Terraria 1.4.1 is Here!

I think the point he's trying to make is that, if the developers closed a door for you, maybe instead of complaining about the door, look for an open window nearby. For example, if there are new builds that can improve your play, but are only available in a corruption-based world, maybe you...
  8. Nicol Bolas

Why not just give you the Zenith at the start of the game? You don't have to use it, but why would the developers care if you play the game differently from their intent to start with a short sword? Terraria is not a pure sandbox game and it never has been. It has had progression elements in it...
  9. Nicol Bolas

Then perhaps you should consider that what you see as "signs of overworking, frustration & fatigue" may in fact not be those things. Or that other people don't necessarily agree that what you see as signs of those things are actually indicative of them. And therefore, when they react negatively...
  10. Nicol Bolas

I think there's a difference between "the game is in a good place now, so you can stop making new content" and "you need to stop making new content". These are different statements with different meanings. The first is a suggestion; the second is a demand. I would have been fine with Terraria...
  11. Nicol Bolas

NPCs not selling pylon

First, you might want to change the tag on this bug to not be "working as desired" if rounding is the primary problem. It should also be noted that what's being said here doesn't line up with what was in the 1.4.1 reveal. Specifically: The penalty for crowding is the same as it was before...
  12. Nicol Bolas

Did 1.4.1 "fix" happiness?

I think I've made it clear in prior posts from months ago that I think the only "fix" for happiness is to remove it from the game. But ignoring that, the question is this: did 1.4.1 reduce the most annoying aspects of happiness? I don't have the actual numbers in front of me, so I can't know...
  13. Nicol Bolas

Indeed, thinking about the happiness changes (again, under the assumption that when they're talking about the "town detection radius", they're not talking about any of the happiness radii), it should actually be eaiser to get larger groups of NPCs happy together. One of the main problems with...
  14. Nicol Bolas

I think it's important to recognize that the "town detection radius" is different from the "I'm too close to other people" happiness radius. The town detection radius is used to tell whether an area counts as the "Town Biome" (and thus whether Pylons can be powered and whether to play the town...
  15. Nicol Bolas

It took less than 5 months to develop 1.4.1 (and some of that time was spent bug-fixing 1.4.0). I highly doubt it would take more time than that to port 1.4.1's content to an actively functional platform. You're going to stop using the OP spell because it used to be more OP? I mean really...
Back
Top Bottom