Other Game Pokémon

What is Your Favorite Pokémon Type?

• Total voters
I will amend my original post:

NIANTIC representatives of _________ should move/delete and check ALL pokestops and gyms' locations, and NIANTIC should make night have no benefits, or even better, make it worse.
You should also be able to remove Pokespots and Gyms if there is one in your yard, house, work building, etc. by contacting Niantic.

If you're making a virtual-reality game like this, it has to take LOTS of responsibility and time to make sure no one walks into a wall, or a car, or a cliff.

or warn them to be more self aware outside of the opening screen

You should also be able to remove a Pokestop/Gym if you have your phone on for at least 48 hours there

Last edited:
To catch a Pokemon, there's like a 20 meter radius or so. Most people are smart enough to catch a Pokemon somewhere safe even if the Pokemon itself is in an unsafe place. And even without that, and I can't stress this enough, it's the player's fault that they get hurt, not the game's.

It doesn't matter one iota what "smart" players do. I don't even give a :red: about what they do because they are not the problem. And if you think smart people are the majority.. well..

PgY8MNn.jpg

Pokéstops and gyms shouldn't be in your yard, unless your yard is a "known landmark." People going into yards are likely there for random wild Pokémon, which appear nearly everywhere. In fact, if Pokémon only appeared at stops and gyms, it would likely remove quite a lot of the "going into places you shouldn't be" aspect, because most of the gyms and stops are in public places that are known for having people regularly visit them.

Shady people tend to prefer less.. uh, open areas. Like that side alley.

Ive been on plenty graveyards, to honor the dead and when i was younger to play there too. A graveyard literally is just a park with graves in them.

I dont know about america but here graveyards have their own secturity staff and video supervision, its literally one of the least attractive spaces for criminals.

The way I see it, the best thing we can do is make sure we are safe. Yes, not everyone is going to play safe, and play nice, and play smart. But this is going to happen with literally almost any other situation possible. Auto-populating points of interest isn't a great idea, but this was based on a previous game, and those locations were user-submitted with approval. I don't think players intentionally submitted dangerous areas, that they would then have to navigate to be able to have access to on the regular. On the contrary, they probably chose easy-to-access, public, relatively safe areas. Because these players were submitting these locations for the purpose of being able to hit them while on the move, while navigating from place to place, without having to trek too far from main roads.

And as many pokestops as I've hit, I have yet to see even one that could be remotely considered dangerous, inaccessible, or otherwise on someone's private property that would immediately put them in peril. Maybe to an unsupervised toddler (Keep in mind you don't need to be moving to hit a pokestop) who decides to fall in a shallow creek on a nature trail. But again, the safe people cannot account for the unsafe ones. This is true in the game, this is true everywhere in life. Even walking on a sidewalk could have someone fall hazard to a driver who is too busy texting on the phone and ends up hitting them. The best thing that can be done, as I said, is proper education and exercise of safety. And again, common sense. If the goal is to prevent a hazard, the best solution is to remain vigilant, aware, and use common sense.

I disagree with the notion that the developer is entirely at fault, as well. For the record, they did specifically put in precautions to a lot of problems that were mentioned. For example, pokemon are far, far less likely to appear near roads, train tracks, and in people's houses. I've never seen a pokemon in anyone's house. I've seen them pop up on yards, but those yards are very easily within the radial bubble to allow them to be caught without incident. I'm not going to blame the developers just because people who play the game, do so irresponsibly. That is beyond silly, in my opinion. I have no ideas what everyone else's cities look like, but there are no people getting mowed down by cars here. There are no people drowning in creeks here. There are no kids falling off of buildings here. Nobody getting shot for breaking into someone's property for a pokemon. Is this anecdotal experience? You're damn right it is. But people here are capable of playing responsibly, intelligently, and safely.

I'm not going to fault the company just because a small percentage of people who play the game do so in an unsafe manner. This game has done more for getting people out of the house and interacting socially with strangers than I've seen any piece of technology, media, or software do in a very, very long time. To fault the developer for these people is quite the extreme. This seems to be entirely a case of "The arguments of potential safety concerns is actually a bigger argument than these concerns actually happening." I too can name an infinite number of horrendously unlikely scenarios that would result in someone's negligence while playing the game leading to death, injury, or maiming. I can make a simultaneously infinite number of scenarios for a huge amount of existing pieces of technology as well. Just because the potential for bad situations to occur doesn't mean these bad situations are occurring often enough that the system is fundamentally flawed. (And yes, I'm not discrediting the accidents that have happened. It's unfortunate that they happened, but they could have been very, very, very easily avoided.)

I think people are focused way too much on the potential negatives, and not enough on the reality of what's actually happening. Pokemon Go is not, nor will it ever be, a game that demands your complete and utter attention in a way where you completely lose track of direction, time, or your own self preservation. Most of the players I see walk with phone-in-hand. They feel vibration, stop walking to adjust their position / catch a pokemon / hit a pokestop, check their surroundings, and go on their merry way. They are not crossing the street because their eyes are glued to the phone. It's not a game that demands that much of your attention. If you've ever texted anyone while walking, you're probably more dangerous than the average Pokemon Go player, because I kid you not, texting takes much more attention. Reading a text and then replying to it with your own takes more attention than glancing at your phone and checking what's happening on Pokemon Go, because 90% of the time, there is nothing of any remotely urgent matter happening that would demand so much attention that you toss out all notions of safety out the window.

Which leads me back to my initial statement: Common sense. You are responsible for playing safe, and if you have kids, you are responsible for them playing safe. Sad but true; you're not responsible for other people who are not playing safe. This is a sad reality. You cannot account for everyone around you using common sense and safety precautions, but using your own common sense, precautions, and awareness will severely reduce the chances for any accident to occur. I think people are too worried about the potential for disaster that they haven't realized these disasters aren't really happening that much. They're still going to happen, obviously, but a lot of it is extremely preventable incidents.

So again, is the developer at fault? Partially. But to say the consumers and players are not at fault would be wildly untrue. The developer created a game that implores users to traverse to collect pokemon and items. By doing so, they introduce an inherent element of danger to anyone playing. However, the players should understand this, and introduce an extra layer of precaution while playing. It is common sense, sorry for anyone that might be tired of hearing it. By asking players to move around, there is extra danger present. Precautions have been made to reduce any risks possible while maintaining the integrity of the game, but in the end, some of the responsibility will inevitably need to fall on the players as well. Parents need to supervise their children, and more mature players need to understand and account for the risks associated when moving around.

So again, no, I don't think Pokemon Go is inherently dangerous. I think people who forget where they are, and don't exercise proper safety while they play it are dangerous. People who don't play responsibly are dangerous. The same can be said of driving, running, walking, jogging, flying, swimming, playing sports, or any activity that people concentrate too much on. The game itself doesn't demand that much attention, nor does it demand players do dangerous things to succeed. As long as people exercise safety, risks of accidents will greatly decreased. Pokemon Go is just Google Maps with guns monsters that occasionally appear and are dealt with in a single tap of the screen. Or are in a location that takes you a couple seconds to see.

Not dismissing safety concerns as invalid, but there's only so much of it that can be pinned on the creators of the game, before we need to think that maybe some people are just dangerous, and it doesn't matter what these people do, they're still going to be dangerous to themselves and others. I don't believe in halting progression of technology and entertainment simply because of human folly. Human folly will always be an absolute as long as humans exist, no need to blame a game for making it easier for people to do dumb stuff. Be safe when you play it, use common sense when you play it, watch your kids when they play it. Because you never know when human folly can strike, and you absolutely cannot control if it comes from someone else. Falling asleep at the wheel, texting, distractions, anything can cause an accident these days. Don't blame cars or phones in dangerous hands. Sorry for the huge rant.

I think here is a classic example of the media making a fuss- it seems like suddenly lots of people are being injured or killed. That may be true, but if you compare it to the masses of people who play it fine without any incident, you would probably realise what a minority the people at risk are. Almost every game has some small minority that got injured playing it.
It seems like a lot of people because the media only focuses on the 'interesting' stories.

I don't doubt that the game has potential to be dangerous, not only due to dangerous places but also from other people. That stampede at Central Park in New York could have caused serious injury.

"So, guys, we kind of need to clean up the gene pool a bit. Remove the stupid as it were. How about we create an app for that?"

Mature people are walking in supermarkets' private areas, offices where they don't work, police stations, on railroads, all kinds of places they have no business of being.
It boggles my mind how many irresponsible sods are walking around out there.

Now if mature people already can't seem to use common sense then kids would even have less of a problem getting in trouble. I think it's very wise of parents if they'd deny their children access to this game.

"So, guys, we kind of need to clean up the gene pool a bit. Remove the stupid as it were. How about we create an app for that?"

Mature people are walking in supermarkets' private areas, offices where they don't work, police stations, on railroads, all kinds of places they have no business of being.
It boggles my mind how many irresponsible sods are walking around out there.

Now if mature people already can't seem to use common sense then kids would even have less of a problem getting in trouble. I think it's very wise of parents if they'd deny their children access to this game.
A mature person would know right from wrong via problem solving and more. These people are just straight up stupid. Not smart, nor mature.

I'm not going to fault the company just because a small percentage of people who play the game do so in an unsafe manner.

Here's the issue, though: the game inadvertently rewards dangerous, risky or illegal behaviour, such as entering private property or walking across the train tracks. Being able to play a game unsafely is one thing. Being rewarded for doing so is a whole other matter.

*MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAN*

So, I played through the main part of saphhire and got all the way to the elite 4 only to realize that my team SUCKED (Swellow, Sableye, Gyrados, Torkoal, Machoke, Magneton) , I couldn't get past the 2nd elite. So I did a bit of research into pokemon stats and such and put together a team I liked (Registeel, Salamence, Relicanth, Sceptile, Exploud, Crobat). I spent about 10 HOURS farming them all up to a decent level, I was just about to head on and try the elite 4 again when I accidentally closed the game.....

Without saving it......

I feel so, depressed. And don't really have the urge to complete the game anymore...

*MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAN*

So, I played through the main part of saphhire and got all the way to the elite 4 only to realize that my team SUCKED (Swellow, Sableye, Gyrados, Torkoal, Machoke, Magneton) , I couldn't get past the 2nd elite. So I did a bit of research into pokemon stats and such and put together a team I liked (Registeel, Salamence, Relicanth, Sceptile, Exploud, Crobat). I spent about 10 HOURS farming them all up to a decent level, I was just about to head on and try the elite 4 again when I accidentally closed the game.....

Without saving it......

I feel so, depressed. And don't really have the urge to complete the game anymore...

Bless you, that's devastating :'(

Honestly, I don't even care about stats. I pick out Pokemon that aren't :red: and have good defenses against all or most types and make them my team.

Back
Top Bottom