Mobile The Path Ahead: Major News Updates for Console & Mobile

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure there are many optimizations that could be made within the code to make it use ram more efficiently and I know there are ways to optimize 2d graphics without sacrificing any quality but again both of these things are easier said than done
And what if all those optimisations had already been done to get us to the current state? What then?

This also affects the new 3ds right? Please say yes cuz this update looks amazing and i would pay again if necessary just to play it.

Let's say they implement streaming. It causes the game to get laggy as hell, but the 1.3 content could be squeezed in. Would it be worth it?
hell I would be happy with them doing something like minecraft does loading only a certain area around you yeah it stops for a fews seconds every few minutes but its better than pretty much loading every block at once like terraria does which is so unnecessary

hell I would be happy with them doing something like minecraft does loading only a certain area around you yeah it stops for a fews seconds every few minutes but its better than pretty much loading every block at once like terraria does which is so unnecessary
Unfortunately that would only work in single-player (and perhaps not even then (biome spreading)). Terraria is built as a multi-player game and has to have everything in memory at all times, as any part of it can change at any time.

So I just came back from a 1 year break and see this...
where to begin. I know where!
-Mobile will get 1.3
-Codeglue is finally gone
-Mobile bug fixes will actually fix bugs instead of just introducing 10 more
-We will get a new developer that actually checks the interests of its community
-More mobile exclusives
-Better Controls!
-RIP Heart Arrows...

Welcome Pipeworks! I am really excited for all you have to offer us!

Unfortunately that would only work in single-player (and perhaps not even then (biome spreading)). Terraria is built as a multi-player game and has to have everything in memory at all times, as any part of it can change at any time.
I rarely ever even play online so that wouldn't bother me at all and I'm sure they could figure out a way to keep track of biome spreading without actually loading the objects themselves its just such a major waste of ram to load it all at once

which again goes back to my point that it is about time

And again, I'd disagree. It is more about how much of the quality of the game can be sacrificed to "make it work". We can expound about the "potential optimizations that may or may not be there", but at the end of the day, optimizations and workarounds have their own side effects.

If it were a matter of time, it would be done. Its not a matter of time anymore, except that "time marches on" and we are left with systems that can't keep up with the needs of the game in question.

And I think that's all I'll say on the matter, since at a certain point, you just have to take our word for it, or choose not to. And once we reach that point, there is nothing more to say. :)

I'm sure there are many optimizations that could be made within the code to make it use ram more efficiently and I know there are ways to optimize 2d graphics without sacrificing any quality but again both of these things are easier said than done

If this is the case, then i'm going to wait for my SNES compatible version of Terraria. Should be fun to play it on that!

And again, I'd disagree. It is more about how much of the quality of the game can be sacrificed to "make it work". We can espouse about the "potential optimizations that may or may not be there", but at the end of the day, optimizations and workarounds have their own side effects.

If it were a matter of time, it would be done. Its not a matter of time anymore, except that "time marches on" and we are left with systems that can't keep up with the needs of the game in question.

And I think that's all I'll say on the matter, since at a certain point, you just have to take our word for it, or choose not to. And once we reach that point, there is nothing more to say. :)

just for the record I mean no offense at all just drives me crazy knowing my only choice is moving my world to a stationary console since sony will most likely never make a new portable device. I HATE stationary consoles as I travel all the time. I literally have all 2700 or so items already so continuing on the vita would be completely pointless with nothing new to achieve

Last edited:
Is it possible that if a person manages manages to solve the problem you had trouble with that you could continue with the ps3 xb360 psvita?

If this is the case, then i'm going to wait for my SNES compatible version of Terraria. Should be fun to play it on that!
comparing 128kb of ram to 512mb is a bit crazy don't you think considering one image alone is about 128kb or larger...yes I know you were being a smartass but still

And again, I'd disagree. It is more about how much of the quality of the game can be sacrificed to "make it work". We can expound about the "potential optimizations that may or may not be there", but at the end of the day, optimizations and workarounds have their own side effects.

Is it at all possible to make the code for the PSVita version open-source for those of us in the community who wish to try and make changes ourselves?

comparing 128kb of ram to 512mb is a bit crazy don't you think considering one image alone is about 128kb or larger...yes I know you were being a smartass but still

No im not being a smartass. you said that you believed it could be optimized, and since everyone is saying that Terraria can run on older gen, i don't see a problem with this.

Or if you believe that my idea is ridiculous, then you know how i feel about the complaints of people not understanding that technology can become outdated and cannot run software that is to advanced for it. The developer said it can't be done, they know the code, they know the limitations of the hardware, and the requirements of the software.

It has been stated multiple times by the devs that they already had to optimize Terraria multiple times to actually keep it running in its 1.2.4 form, let alone any optimizations that were made when the game was ported originally. If there are any optimizations left to make, they are few and are not going to open enough space for a 1.3 version that's up to the dev's standards. As for optimising graphics, I don't know what process you are referring to, but if it is indeed going to free up memory (instead of just storage space, which isn't the problem), it won't be a lot.
Here's an old screenshot of mine from getting 1.1 ported on a GameBoy advance. I like referring to this screenshot as it's very inspirational towards me as a modder. If it works, they should try it
That's an emulator, that hardly counts. There is no way you'd be able to run Terraria in any shape or form on an actual Gameboy Advance, not even with contemporary memory chips in the cartridge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom