Xbox One Online multiplayer with child account

aa999

Terrarian
Hi all,

I purchased Xbox One version of Terraria for my son to play online with his friend, but online multiplayer doesn't work on his account. If he tires to start a new game himself, "Online" option is greyed out and he cannot select it. If he tries to join his friend's online game, he gets an error message saying "The game will end due to the Membership Content settings"...

He has a child Xbox account, but Xbox Live permission are set to allow online multiplayer. Permissions are set correctly as other games (i.e. Forza 5) work in online multiplayer mode with no issues for him.

Terraria works fine online with my own (adult) account, so it must be related to the child account. As I said, online multiplayer is enabled for his accounts and it works fine in other games. To narrow down the issue I tried changing his date of birth in Microsoft account to 1980, but this didn't make any difference. Also tried to set option "Limit apps, games and media" in Microsoft Family to "No Restriction" but that didn't help either...

Any help would be appreciated.

Does his account have a paid Gold subscription? Each account trying to access online play will need a Gold sub. If he doesn't, he will only be able to play offline and local splitscreen.

Regarding Gold subscription... You shouldn't have to purchase another Gold subscription for your son. Apparently there's something called Home Gold which allows you to share Gold benefits witheveryone in your household.

To answer above questions, yes I have purchased Xbox Gold Live Subscription for my own account and all family accounts on the same Xbox can use it to play online. When we didn't have Gold the error message was very clear and immediately offered to purchase it. Online multiplayer also works with other games. So Gold subscription is not the issue here...

Hi all,

I purchased Xbox One version of Terraria for my son to play online with his friend, but online multiplayer doesn't work on his account. If he tires to start a new game himself, "Online" option is greyed out and he cannot select it. If he tries to join his friend's online game, he gets an error message saying "The game will end due to the Membership Content settings"...

He has a child Xbox account, but Xbox Live permission are set to allow online multiplayer. Permissions are set correctly as other games (i.e. Forza 5) work in online multiplayer mode with no issues for him.

Terraria works fine online with my own (adult) account, so it must be related to the child account. As I said, online multiplayer is enabled for his accounts and it works fine in other games. To narrow down the issue I tried changing his date of birth in Microsoft account to 1980, but this didn't make any difference. Also tried to set option "Limit apps, games and media" in Microsoft Family to "No Restriction" but that didn't help either...

Any help would be appreciated.
Perhaps try this solution from the 505 Games Support Portal:
https://support.505games.com/en/sup...in-terraria-all-of-my-options-are-grayed-out-
You may have accidentally skipped the End-User License Agreement (EULA). Not accepting the EULA will turn off access to online features.

Please re-read the EULA by selecting 'Help & Options' from the Main Menu, and then selecting 'Re-read EULA'.

The issue resolved (thanks to 505 Games support)!

In addition to "Join multiplayer games" I had also set option "Share stuff people make (Xbox 360: Member Content)" to "Everybody".

Thanks to everyone trying to help.

Back
Top Bottom