Nintendo Switch

The Switch looks quite interesting in its design. Basically, it appears you can dock it and use it as a traditional console with a controller and TV. Or you can undock it and use it as a handheld, like the DS.

I think we can safely assume the dock would provide extra processing power and serve as a recharging station when in use. Maybe the Switch as a handheld can do graphics at 720p and in the dock, can go up to 4K. (Just as an example.) I think the key thing here is going to be battery life. The GBA SP and DS had really good battery life. I could play it for weeks (at a couple of hours per day) without needing a recharge. The 3DS and Wii U Gamepad don't have very good battery life. They'd need charging every few days. The Switch is going to need good battery life to be viable as a handheld. (And for that, it may need lesser hardware, referring the above comment on the dock providing extra power.)

The controllers look a but awkward, but we'll have to wait and see how they handle.

Will the console be successful...? I don't know. As someone who likes Nintendo, it's sad to admit I have my doubts. Sony/Microsoft pretty much have the hardcore gamer market cornered. PC is pretty stable at it is, still continuing to have AAA and indie/experimental titles as it always has. PC, Xbox and Playstation aren't going anywhere anytime soon.
Of course, there will be plenty of people who purchase a Switch for Nintendo's first-party franchises: Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Super Smash Bros. But the Wii and DS were the right product at the right time and got an audience that's not normally into console gaming. For that, they were insanely successful. But times have changed, and this audience has moved on to mobile and tablets. Maybe if the Switch has a large number of compelling titles, it can win over some of the hardcore and casual markets. I guess only time will tell if this is the case. Personally, I hope it's a success. :)

I think Nintendo took a step in the right direction with this. Instead of some gimmick, like the wagglemote for the wii or less so, the gamepad with its gyro function and second screen on the wii u, this is more just convenience, and functionality you would expect from a console. Also apparently there will be no region locks. I like it a lot.

There's lots that needs to be answered about this (price, battery life, the power of the system while in mobile mode, whatever the :red: retro compatibility is, if it comes with a pro controller, etc).
So I'm not overly hyped about it, and I just hope 'hype culture' doesn't ruin this like it did so many other things.
Basically, I'm optimistic. I want this to be nintendo getting back on track from this disappointing year for them. so hopefully 2017 will be a great year for nintendo.

Staunch PC Master Race here but I really like the Switch - finally a console that is actually a little smart.

Firstly, it combines mobile and lounge room gaming - I think there may have been other PC based units that did this but whatever, Nintendo has the market cornered here over them. Secondly, cartridges... I hated laser discs the day they were invented, horrible, nasty, mechanical, gigantic, idiotic pieces of tech they were.

I think for Nintendo it could be the standard going forward for them as both their mobile and lounge gaming will be on the same platform. Apparently it is easy for developers to develop games for on top.

But seriously though, there is one seriously compelling reason I might buy it... Zelda Breath of the Wild. :joy:

the only problem I have with the switch is it comes out at a very awkward time for me, because I've had my wii u for only like 2 years. and have only gotten wind waker HD, and super mario maker for it really.

oh, also apparently the system works very, very smoothly while in mobile mode. But it also gets a performance boost while docked in home mode. I'm not sure what this "boost" most noticeably improves upon, or even how it works. because according to Nintendo the entire system is housed in the mobile screen, and the dock just lets you play on your TV

I'm still curious about battery life though. because this is more so something you take on long trips for entertainment. it's likely to have a charge cable separate from the dock, but it would suck if it has :red: battery life like earlier models of the 3DS

Last edited:
the only problem I have with the switch is it comes out at a very awkward time for me, because I've had my wii u for only like 2 years. and have only gotten wind waker HD, and super mario maker for it really.

oh, also apparently the system works very, very smoothly while in mobile mode. But it also gets a performance boost while docked in home mode. I'm not sure what this "boost" most noticeably improves upon, or even how it works. because according to Nintendo the entire system is housed in the mobile screen, and the dock just lets you play on your TV

I'm still curious about battery life though. because this is more so something you take on long trips for entertainment. it's likely to have a charge cable separate from the dock, but it would suck if it has :red: battery life like earlier models of the 3DS

Sell the WiiU now...

I'm going to make a bold prediction and say, despite the lack of fanfare and some of the criticism for it not being innovative enough, the Switch is going to be big. (Or, the next model after the Switch, but y'know, continuing in the Switch vein).

All those "little" games like Pokemon might soon become massive next gen open world games, along with all the other Nintendo exclusives. It also seems to be getting a lot more support from 3rd parties than is the usual as well.

I might be wrong but :red: it, I'll put my money on Nintendo for top sales in consoles in the near future. I don't think it's going to be big at the beginning, more of a slow burner, a bit like the release of the iPad - critics were like, "it just an underpowered laptop" and "who would actually need this" etc. I think the Switch might end up being similar (though not quite as big as the iPad of course).

Big calls Rubes!

(Will be back in 5 years eating my words :( )

Nintendo has released some details on the Switch on 12th January. It's to be released worldwide on 3rd March. And... well... it's kinda underwhelming to me. Here are two links on some details:
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/01/nintendo-switch-launches-worldwide-march-3-299-in-us/
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/01/mario-kart-8-splatoon-2-more-nintendo-switch/
Probably also a YouTube presentation somewhere as well.

I'm not the kind of person who is going to worry about how many pixels it has or how the number of FLOPs compare to the PS4 / Xbox One. There are three things that interest me: Price, battery and games.
Price: AUD$470. Way too expensive. Even with the Australia Tax added on.
Battery: Reported to be 2.5 - 6.5 hours.
Games: Launching with only TWO first-party games: LoZ: Breath of the Wild and 1-2 Switch. Did Nintendo learn nothing from the Wii U launch? At a minimum, the console should not launch without a new 3D Mario, new 3D Zelda and a new Mario Kart. Nintendo have just one of those. There isn't even any information (yet) on when or if we can expect new a Mario Kart, 2D Mario, Star Fox, Metroid, Super Smash Bros...

There's nothing to make this system stand out for me. For the cost, I can get an Android tablet with access to Google Play and a battery that lasts all week. I'd have money to spare to get Breath of the Wild on Wii U. It's quite disappointing and I really hope they're just keeping some information under wraps to surprise us later.

However, credit where credit is due: Nintendo are supporting standard microSD for expansion, USB-C for charging and has no region lock. In the era where companies keep moving to proprietary standards, this is nice to see.

...and there's no voice chat. You need to use a phone app for that. Yeah my $50 phone has bluetooth, y'know Ninetendo you could have just put the blue tooth in da machine..

They've really ballsed up a potentially great system.

I'm pretty stoked, if only for Breath of the Wild and the new Mario game. I'm disappointed it'll be a while before I can buy it(tuition and bills are a thing, unfortunately).

Right now the Switch looks like an interesting concept that fails to introduce itself as such...at least in my opinion. The switch's main selling point is that it's a console/handheld hybrid. Yet during Nintendo's presentation I didn't really feel that they touched on that at all and just focused on the "motion controls" that everyone seems to hate. I have confidence that Nintendo can do motion controls right, if they can do it right with the Wii they can do it right here but with how motion controls have become an eyesore to the gaming community it's clear to see why anyone from outside of Nintendo's fanbase can look it with some mild hate. Also the games unimpressive line up at launch is something that bothers me, sure Breath of the Wild is amazing, even I who isn't that big of a Zelda fan can see it selling well...but a game cannot sell a console on its own. The Switch had some meaty games coming out like Spaltoon 2 (c'mon Nintendo Splat2n why didn't you do it?!) and Mario Odyssey and having them on release would've been great!

Nintendo is good at entertaining its fanbase but it has no clue how to attract people outside of it which what one should do, to EXPAND the people who are willing to buy what you present to them and willingly. People who don't really like Mario and Zelda need something they're comfortable with to be interested but Nintendo didn't really do that and though many Nintendo fans are praising the Switch like the second coming of Christ I already expect its launch to be horrible. (though ARMS does look interesting I'll give them that)

In my opinion they should've talked more on the Switch's console/handheld features and pushed the release date to December 2017 so they can have a much more impressive line-up. Though the Switch could have a bad launch and still sell like hot-cakes later on (looking at you 3ds) this "possible" outcome could be a major setback if not a devastating one for Nintendo. When the Wii U was doing horribly they immediately jumped boats to the 3ds. Now that the 3ds is getting old and probably has 1 - 2 years and a half of its life time left and all their resources going to the Switch they can't afford to lose right now.

On a less pessimistic note, the *click* sound the Switch's logo makes is addicting as hell and I love it.

Surprised that no-one has mentioned yet: The Switch has been released. Did anyone get one? Anyone planning to get one? If you have one, what are your thoughts and impressions?

Consensus seems to be it's a good handheld but a poor TV console.

I currently do not plan to get a Switch. It's not worth it with the limited software range. I'll get Breath of the Wild on Wii U though. Why did Nintendo again release a console without the minimum software requirements? The "Nindies" program - of which Terraria is included - could be a good start to filling the gap. For now, it's wait and see.

Edit: Lets leave the launch on a high note: Apparently the cartridges are very bitter, presumably to stop people (especially children) putting them in their mouth.
http://www.polygon.com/2017/3/1/14784140/nintendo-switch-cartridges-taste-awful-psa

Last edited:
I got one on release day and have been deep into Zelda everyday since.. Now SHHHH... go away...

(I'll come back later once I've played with it a bit more)

Man, I want a switch so badly, but I don't have enough money to get it. I know eventually I'll be able to save up enough, but it's gonna be a pretty long wait.

Back
Top Bottom