Console Fireblossom Farming Issue

Chuggs Gaming

Duke Fishron
Im not sure if this is a bug or not or if I'm doing something wrong.

Here's what I've experienced.

Firstly, the fireblossom plant itself spawns very rarely in the underworld for me. That alone provoked me to attempt to set up a farm for it.

Second, I've only had one naturally spawned plant drop seeds. One seed exactly. So I took that very delicate treasure of mine and tenderly transported it to my home base, where I prepared a flower bed of ash blocks 6 wide and two high on the ends.

Next, I planted the seed. Day after day I checked the progress of my seedling. But the fireblossom did not bloom. I read in the notes on the wiki that the flower must be partially submerged in lava to bloom.

So, I dumped a bucket of lava and boom, it bloomed immediately.

I harvested the fireblossom and once again I was awarded just one seed. So, I decided to change my strategy. I took that one seed and placed it in a clay pot.

Days and days in game went by. Actually, realistically, several RL days went by. The fireblossom finally blooms. I harvest it, with my Staff of Regrowth, still no seeds.

What the heck?

So I make my way into the underworld once again. Bearing my Staff of Regrowth, now reforged to be "lucky". And sporting my newly crafted Platinum Watch. And I carefully combed through the entire biome.

I found a cluster of fireblossoms blooming, all scattered within 4 blocks of each other. I struck the first one with my so-called "Lucky" Staff of Regrowth, at 3:50pm (just to be safe). No seeds.

I waited until 4:30pm for the next. No seeds. Then 5pm. Nothing. Then 6:30pm. Nada.

I'm a little confused. Is there something more efficient I can do?

I thought any herb will grow and blossom in a clay pot. All of my other herbs grow faithfully and yield an excessive amount of seeds. More than I can realistically plant.

Thoughts?

Im not sure if this is a bug or not or if I'm doing something wrong.

Here's what I've experienced.

Firstly, the fireblossom plant itself spawns very rarely in the underworld for me. That alone provoked me to attempt to set up a farm for it.

Second, I've only had one naturally spawned plant drop seeds. One seed exactly. So I took that very delicate treasure of mine and tenderly transported it to my home base, where I prepared a flower bed of ash blocks 6 wide and two high on the ends.

Next, I planted the seed. Day after day I checked the progress of my seedling. But the fireblossom did not bloom. I read in the notes on the wiki that the flower must be partially submerged in lava to bloom.

So, I dumped a bucket of lava and boom, it bloomed immediately.

I harvested the fireblossom and once again I was awarded just one seed. So, I decided to change my strategy. I took that one seed and placed it in a clay pot.

Days and days in game went by. Actually, realistically, several RL days went by. The fireblossom finally blooms. I harvest it, with my Staff of Regrowth, still no seeds.

What the heck?

So I make my way into the underworld once again. Bearing my Staff of Regrowth, now reforged to be "lucky". And sporting my newly crafted Platinum Watch. And I carefully combed through the entire biome.

I found a cluster of fireblossoms blooming, all scattered within 4 blocks of each other. I struck the first one with my so-called "Lucky" Staff of Regrowth, at 3:50pm (just to be safe). No seeds.

I waited until 4:30pm for the next. No seeds. Then 5pm. Nothing. Then 6:30pm. Nada.

I'm a little confused. Is there something more efficient I can do?

I thought any herb will grow and blossom in a clay pot. All of my other herbs grow faithfully and yield an excessive amount of seeds. More than I can realistically plant.

Thoughts?
As far as I know Staff of Regrowth doesn't have anything to do with harvesting seeds.

Secondly if they're blooming with the full shine they should yield seeds. You do need to make sure the lava goes above the lip of the pot though.

Fireblossoms are a bit confusing on console. They do bloom in the afternoon (a 1.3 feature), however they won't drop any seeds then due to a bug. To get seeds use lava to get them to bloom and make sure you don't harvest during the afternoon (3:45 PM to 7:30 PM). Each plant will drop 1-3 seeds, at least when planted on ash.

Fireblossoms are a bit confusing on console. They do bloom in the afternoon (a 1.3 feature), however they won't drop any seeds then due to a bug. To get seeds use lava to get them to bloom and make sure you don't harvest during the afternoon (3:45 PM to 7:30 PM). Each plant will drop 1-3 seeds, at least when planted on ash.
Thank you. Does that mean that planting them in clay pots is currently pointless?

To clarify my question, should the fireblossom only be planted in ash blocks with a layer of lava?

Or will any block be ok to use if the fireblossom is in a clay pot that is sitting in lava? The ash block screws with the aesthetics of my garden.

Last edited:
I havent used pots for farming much, so it's hard for me to make any recommendations. When I built my garden a long time ago there was this bug that caused potted plants to grow much slower than on ordinary blocks. So I opted farming on regular blocks despite being sensitive to random violence in the interest of better yields. I don't know if that bug has been fixed or if it's still around.

One advantage of growing Fireblossoms on ash, is that you don't need as much lava as you do when using pots. Though when the 1.3 update finally arrives, you won't need lava at all.

Thank you. Does that mean that planting them in clay pots is currently pointless?

To clarify my question, should the fireblossom only be planted in ash blocks with a layer of lava?

Or will any block be ok to use if the fireblossom is in a clay pot that is sitting in lava? The ash block screws with the aesthetics of my garden.
You can use any blocks if you're using pots. You just need to have a layer of lava that raises above the level of the pots.

Back
Top Bottom