Casual Who watches Supernatural?

Sam Coster

Skeletron Prime
latest

Who watches Supernatural and if so what is your favourite season and character?
Mine was either 5 or 11 and Castiel. What about you?

I've been watching since about season 2ish and this season (season 12) is quickly becoming my favorite. I've been very happy with the way they have brought the story back down to the human level with the British Men of Letters plot while slowly working in the Nephilim and Prices of Hell story elements. Bring the story back down to ground level was very necessary after last season took it as high as it could go with the god/darkness story line; after that, there is really no way to escalate things any further without deescalating first.

Seasons 1 through 5 were all pretty darn good, but I will say I don't miss the emotional brother moments of Sam and Dean crying that ended so many episodes in that era. I'd say season 5 would fall near the top of my favorite list, maybe even in first or second place.

I like seasons 10 and 11 well enough, but I was very disappointed that they ascended the fanon idea that Chuck was god. I've never liked that idea at all as it took away what was a very excellent mortal prophet character and I much preferred the idea that Chuck transcended to heaven after his job was done instead of simply being god. I also didn't like the fanon elevation because there is nothing in the previous stories that supports Chuck actually being god, the closest being word of saint paul level hearsay by the actor who played Chuck claiming that Kripke told him to play the character as if Chuck was god.

Ignoring the backdoor pilot episode that was meant to start the Bloodlines spin off show, the worst season is definitely the Leviathans season, I think it was season 7 and some of 8, though seeing ghost Bobby was a small bit of awesome in an ocean of terrible. The pacing, plotting, scripting, directing, and to some extent even the acting was simply abysmal through out that story arc.

Favorite character is a lot harder to nail down. In the old days I would have said Bobby without hesitation, I'm a sucker for the tough love older mentor trope, but now that he is gone I would have to say it is a three way tie between Castiel, Sam, and Dean. I just love all three of them and the way they interact and play off each other. Their dynamic reminds me a lot of Kirk, Spock, and McCoy from the original Star Trek show. You have the no nonsense physical of Dean/Kirk, the emotional rationalism of Sam/McCoy, and the fish out of water logical attitude of Castiel/Spock. The comparisons between the characters of the two groups isn't exact, but the dynamics of whole are very similar between the two.

All and all, Supernatural was and still is a great show, regardless of what is said by the fake fans that trash everything after season 5. Really there is only one thing wrong with Supernatural and it has nothing to do with the show itself; the only problem with the show is that large chuck of the fandom are terrible. Besides the previously mentioned original seasons purists, there are the shippers that care more about shoving their ridiculous character pairings into the show than they do about the actual lore of the series, the whiners that complain about every episode being the downfall of the series, and, worst of all, those that cry "FILLER!!" every time an episode isn't fully devoted to advancing the season's overarching plot, ignoring that at its heart the show is built on monster of the week stories and that is where the best story and character development is done.

Season 12 is getting very interesting, the whole nephilim plot is exciting. Thing I didn't like about season 11 was bringing God into it, because now when anything major happens it's like where's God? . Also in season 11 it seemed God contributed nothing towards TEAM FREE WILL, which sucked considering he could've done some cool things.

People on the Wikia believe death is still alive and is hiding, which would be cool or even possibly trapped like before by God.
People also believe the Archangel Michael will return possibly to either fight the nephilim or to destroy the earth in vengeance.Funnily enough the season finale is on the date that the nephilim is said to be born.It would be cool if the nephilim was very power and there was a battle between Michael, Lucifer and the child, though this would be unrealistic.
People also believe in episode 21, Crowley is supposed to be killed, though if so would be brought back to life somehow.

Nothing worse when an amazing episode happens then the next is a pointless filler about vampires. Talk about trolling the fans. I know you say the characters develop more here but when some serious stuff goes down and they decide to take a break with a 'Filler' let's be honest, we all get slightly annoyed knowing we must wait another week.
Example being last weeks episode "the future" season 12 × 19 when we saw the true power of the nephilim make Dagon look like trash, and the fact Castiel is doing a season 8 on us again.

In some ways I found season 11 better than 5 because season 5 only had Lucifer, tiny bit of Michael, Crowley and Castiel. Season 11 had Amara, God, Lucifer, Castiel, Crowley, Rowena and more so character wise season 11 won.

Season 12 was ok at first. To be honest, I'm not a fan of Mary Winchester but maybe in later episodes she will develop more. The British men of letters at first were good, but now I find them just annoying spying on everyone and proclaiming they're amazing even though Sam and Dean to all the heavy lifting dealing with Lucifer and his child. The sooner they're gone the better.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom