Console Console 1.3 - An Update on Timing

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, hate to be that guy, but is there going to be any of this content added to 3ds any time soon/ at all?
dude i hope that. I uze 3ds too.
[doublepost=1495899890,1495899837][/doublepost]
So, hate to be that guy, but is there going to be any of this content added to 3ds any time soon/ at all?
Also 3ds has ended updates so its probally not likely.but hopefully Terraria Otherword will make the port.

Console is going to have to wait the same amount of time as Mobile, try to have empathy like me...please:happy:

Maybe it's just me but I don't understand why console is always on the back burner. I mean look at how many updates the Pc has received and how long the console has been waiting for 1.3. Now yes better to have a product fixed rather than broken but really need to step it up , so much hype as been built up for a update that's 2 years old and we have to wait even longer. Idk about other players out there but after collecting and owning the bosses and restarting and creating new characters , this update would have been nice.

So please HURRY UP
I'm tired of seeing Pc updates left and right and we are still using DOS

Will there be anymore console exclusive bosses/enemies/items/npc in console 1.3?
[doublepost=1495906800,1495906703][/doublepost]
Maybe it's just me but I don't understand why console is always on the back burner. I mean look at how many updates the Pc has received and how long the console has been waiting for 1.3. Now yes better to have a product fixed rather than broken but really need to step it up , so much hype as been built up for a update that's 2 years old and we have to wait even longer. Idk about other players out there but after collecting and owning the bosses and restarting and creating new characters , this update would have been nice.

So please HURRY UP

I feel that the reason it is taking so long for 1.3 console to come out is because of the transition between Engine to Pipeworks, dunno if that is the reason, but in my opinion that was a major setback.

Remember that the entire codebase has been rewritten for console for this as well. So it's not as simple as "just add content".

Regarding PC updates and priorities - remember that the pc and console teams are totally separate. That said, the hope is that the rewrite will allow for a closing of that gap - substantially so.

Greetings, Terrarians!

;( why
As you may have seen from Cenx' tweet this week, we have been playtesting the upcoming Console 1.3 update within our team in order to help make this rewrite/update the very best that it can be. (If you missed the image of the team playing, check it out below). We are having a great time and generating tons of feedback for the Pipeworks team.

Clearly, a ton of progress has been made - pretty much everything has been added, etc., though quite a good amount of work remains in squashing bugs, optimizing performance, and addressing the list of feedback that we are giving Pipeworks as a part of our playtesting.

The good part of this is that the game/update will be all the more polished and awesome as a result of this extra work.

The downside is that the team is going to need more time than expected to pull it all together. How long isn't quite clear yet - but both teams feel pretty sure that we are looking at a delay into Q3 in order to do what needs doing. Obviously, that isn't ideal for anyone, but it is what is needed to hit our "quality first" philosophy and to make this update hit its potential.

Hopefully, the delay will not be too long at all, but we wanted to go ahead and fill you guys in on the situation as soon as we knew ourselves.

Thanks for understanding and your support - we will answer any questions that we can of course.

He said "help" he means have the community report bugs to you guys, with the dev kits already in your possession. Pretty much as we already do, but the difference would be that those reported would be from an open beta release.

Other games do this with pretty good results...but it leaves them few excuses for delays lol.

Other games released what is essentially a limited timed demo of the game. As any game developer will tell you those things take a lot of extra time to develop. For a team the size of what Pipeworks is using that would delay the actual release of 1.3 for consoles by A LOT. Best to just let them finish what they are doing and trust their internal QA for now.

So please HURRY UP

Terraria on the PC is currently the only true version of the game. The current releases on other platforms are ports of the game that were handled by a completely different game studio. This arrangement is actually really common for the console version of a game, and contributes to why they tend to be behind the PC version.

Sony/MS make companies jump through some hoops for releasing updates to a product, while on PC updates updates are often pushed out without any involvement from Steam or other distributors. The idea of rapidly releasing a lot of patches to fix issues is something both console companies are strongly against, to make the platforms seem like the more reliable place to play your games. Sony/MS would rather developers release much better tested products with infrequent updates. So a lot of devs work out the major bugs on the PC version before pushing out the updates to the consoles. If it's all the same company without forked code then the lag time can be pretty small, like Overwatch for instance.

Terraria had the unfortunate issue of not only was the company working on the console version different from the PC team, but the engine the PC version was written in (XNA if I remember correctly) did not play nice with anything that wasn't a MS product. So while a port for the 360 was probably easy, a port for the PS3 would have been ridiculously hard. Engine got around this problem by rewriting everything for the consoles (think it was c++). This let them work on a single console version, but meant everything had to be converted from the original PC code to the custom engine they wrote. This process had to be repeated for the mobile/3DS ports since they couldn't run either existing engine. All that converting took time and often generated new bugs the PC hadn't suffered from, so even more time had to be spent fixing things. All that led to the console versions falling far behind the PC updates.

I have no clue what voodoo magic Pipeworks is doing for a unified code base that works across PS4, XB1, Android, Switch and iOS, but I really hope they can pull it off.

Man I'm so stoked for this! Can't wait to play Terraria 1.3 with my pal on PS4, lookin' real good. I wonder how the control scheme will work though considering the controls seem like they were completely used up for PS4.

EDIT: Completely forgot 1.3 already has a control scheme for the PC. Well, still excited anyway!

I remember somewhere saying they won't do it for xbox 360, does that still apply under Pipeworks?
Yeah. If they added old generation consoles into the mix, you could see this delay drop into Q4. Since the consoles have outdated hardware, if you got the update, the system/game would crash.

I'm unsure if it's a PC thing or a 1.3 thing, but would we get the option to 'favourite' items that are in our inventory so it won't be deposited when we click 'deposit all'?

I was thinking maybe when you're hovering over an item in your inventory, press right stick or something to 'favourite' it.

Other games released what is essentially a limited timed demo of the game. As any game developer will tell you those things take a lot of extra time to develop. For a team the size of what Pipeworks is using that would delay the actual release of 1.3 for consoles by A LOT. Best to just let them finish what they are doing and trust their internal QA for now.

Terraria on the PC is currently the only true version of the game. The current releases on other platforms are ports of the game that were handled by a completely different game studio. This arrangement is actually really common for the console version of a game, and contributes to why they tend to be behind the PC version.

Sony/MS make companies jump through some hoops for releasing updates to a product, while on PC updates updates are often pushed out without any involvement from Steam or other distributors. The idea of rapidly releasing a lot of patches to fix issues is something both console companies are strongly against, to make the platforms seem like the more reliable place to play your games. Sony/MS would rather developers release much better tested products with infrequent updates. So a lot of devs work out the major bugs on the PC version before pushing out the updates to the consoles. If it's all the same company without forked code then the lag time can be pretty small, like Overwatch for instance.

Terraria had the unfortunate issue of not only was the company working on the console version different from the PC team, but the engine the PC version was written in (XNA if I remember correctly) did not play nice with anything that wasn't a MS product. So while a port for the 360 was probably easy, a port for the PS3 would have been ridiculously hard. Engine got around this problem by rewriting everything for the consoles (think it was c++). This let them work on a single console version, but meant everything had to be converted from the original PC code to the custom engine they wrote. This process had to be repeated for the mobile/3DS ports since they couldn't run either existing engine. All that converting took time and often generated new bugs the PC hadn't suffered from, so even more time had to be spent fixing things. All that led to the console versions falling far behind the PC updates.

I have no clue what voodoo magic Pipeworks is doing for a unified code base that works across PS4, XB1, Android, Switch and iOS, but I really hope they can pull it off.
I can safely assume you've never bug tested before lol.

Community bug testing has never once been the cause for further delays and distribution of the current product via download does not take long at all...but alright.
It speeds up the process significantly especially when you have, as you mentioned, a small team working on the project.

I cant care less for testing this game so...but apparently giving flase information on the process is still a thing fans do.

I can safely assume you've never bug tested before lol.

Community bug testing has never once been the cause for further delays and distribution of the current product via download does not take long at all...but alright.
It speeds up the process significantly especially when you have, as you mentioned, a small team working on the project.

I cant care less for testing this game so...but apparently giving flase information on the process is still a thing fans do.

The delay wouldn't come from the community testing, it would come from making the beta test itself. PS4/XB1 don't have a system like Steam where a developer can just push out a beta test client alongside the full game client, so a separate beta version of the game would need to be released on the console stores. Making that beta for release takes time and developer resources away from finishing the game release. Relogic and Pipeworks aren't big enough companies to just whip this out and not have it affect the development time. Betas/demos delaying development is not false information, it's a proven reality even the most basic google search can show you.

Also no matter what you tell people, most will consider that beta a demo of a final product. Release a buggy mess for people to play? Most folks will assume that the full game is going to be like that too. These are many of the same reasons why you don't see game demos released anymore.

The delay wouldn't come from the community testing, it would come from making the beta test itself. PS4/XB1 don't have a system like Steam where a developer can just push out a beta test client alongside the full game client, so a separate beta version of the game would need to be released on the console stores. Making that beta for release takes time and developer resources away from finishing the game release. Relogic and Pipeworks aren't big enough companies to just whip this out and not have it affect the development time. Betas/demos delaying development is not false information, it's a proven reality even the most basic google search can show you.

Also no matter what you tell people, most will consider that beta a demo of a final product. Release a buggy mess for people to play? Most folks will assume that the full game is going to be like that too. These are many of the same reasons why you don't see game demos released anymore.

I'll take your word for it lol.

I'm unsure if it's a PC thing or a 1.3 thing, but would we get the option to 'favourite' items that are in our inventory so it won't be deposited when we click 'deposit all'?

I was thinking maybe when you're hovering over an item in your inventory, press right stick or something to 'favourite' it.

Yup. Was doing this in the play we had going. ;) I do not recall what the trigger was, though with mappable controls... (not sure if this is something that could be remapped either... I would have to look, but sadly, no devkit here :( )

Yeah. If they added old generation consoles into the mix, you could see this delay drop into Q4. Since the consoles have outdated hardware, if you got the update, the system/game would crash.

Not happening. As 505 noted last year, the decade+ old hardware is not capable - particularly in the RAM department. That and MS/Sony have pretty much publicly moved on...

---

Public Betas are not nearly as smooth and clear and easy as they are being made out to be. Nor are public bug reports nearly close to as reliable (remember, there is a TON more to reporting and reproducing and investigating a bug than "X feature is producing Y undesired result, please fix" ;) ).

Not saying public betas are inherently bad - more that there is a tool for every situation. Of course, to play devil's advocate, every public release of every software ever has that initial round of bugs that come in...so in a way, every release ever is a public beta. :p

That being said, developers - ourselves included - have to meet a minimum threshold wherein they are satisfied with that initial release. Knowingly putting out something that you yourself feel needs more work/polish/etc.? Well, that is a self-fulfilling prophecy that leads to bad places. ;)

The team is focused where they need to be right now. Will see if any other options are needed for this or any other platforms as those bridges are crossed.

Not sure what else to tell you. :)

This is a 1.3 feature and will most likely be added. :joy:
[doublepost=1496013787,1496013680][/doublepost]
This is a 1.3 feature and will most likely be added. :joy:

Just saw Loki's post `:D
[doublepost=1496013908][/doublepost]
Yup. Was doing this in the play we had going. ;) I do not recall what the trigger was, though with mappable controls... (not sure if this is something that could be remapped either... I would have to look, but sadly, no devkit here :( )

Not happening. As 505 noted last year, the decade+ old hardware is not capable - particularly in the RAM department. That and MS/Sony have pretty much publicly moved on...

---

Public Betas are not nearly as smooth and clear and easy as they are being made out to be. Nor are public bug reports nearly close to as reliable (remember, there is a TON more to reporting and reproducing and investigating a bug than "X feature is producing Y undesired result, please fix" ;) ).

Not saying public betas are inherently bad - more that there is a tool for every situation. Of course, to play devil's advocate, every public release of every software ever has that initial round of bugs that come in...so in a way, every release ever is a public beta. :p

That being said, developers - ourselves included - have to meet a minimum threshold wherein they are satisfied with that initial release. Knowingly putting out something that you yourself feel needs more work/polish/etc.? Well, that is a self-fulfilling prophecy that leads to bad places. ;)

The team is focused where they need to be right now. Will see if any other options are needed for this or any other platforms as those bridges are crossed.

Not sure what else to tell you. :)

Thank you Loki for clearing up things that we want to know, I know that most of us greatly appreciate it :merchantgrin:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom