Are water gfx uneditable -- hard-coded into the game?

Lunatic Lobbyist

The Destroyer
The deep blue, purple-ish tint of water in Terraria always bothered me, so I tried making a texture pack that made it more greenish (like a clean ocean water irl). I extracted the following 3 files and changed the hue of them:

water_0.png (in the misc folder)
Liquid_0.png
Waterfall_0.png

I only wished to edit the main overworld water color (used by forest and beach biomes) in the foreground for now, so I was hoping these 3 were all I needed. These 3 files appear to change edges of the water in-game, but the rest of the water itself is unchanged (aka all water deep enough to slow you down or swim in). This unchanged portion includes the surface of the water that has the ripple effect.

Are there some files I'm missing here? Or is it what I'm afraid is more likely, that bodies of water hard-coded into the game making it impossible to edit in this way?

Help/ideas/solutions from those who know anything is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:
Try changing water_0 to a .xmb file and replacing the image in Steam/steamapps/common/Terraria/Content/Images/Misc. As far as I'm aware, you have to replace the .XMB in order to change it for some reason.

I did just this so that I can show you:
Screenshot 2017-06-23 16.40.28.png

((Ignore the glitchy appearance, a color modification shouldn't look glitchy.))

Try changing water_0 to a .xmb file and replacing the image in Steam/steamapps/common/Terraria/Content/Images/Misc. As far as I'm aware, you have to replace the .XMB in order to change it for some reason.

I did just this so that I can show you:
View attachment 174199
((Ignore the glitchy appearance, a color modification shouldn't look glitchy.))
I'd like your post a million times over if it were possible.

Needless to say, that worked perfectly. Wouldn't have ever guessed that would've done the trick, so your kindness and knowledge is much appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to help.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom