Other Lightning during storms

LilStarla

Terrarian
I've always thought the sound of thunder was a bit strange without any lightning flashes or sparks to come before it. How about adding flashes of light that would actually light surfaces and objects? Perhaps even dangerous lightning sparks that, if they were to strike the player (or enemies), would deal a bit of damage and induce the confused buff? Also having trees destroyed by lightning would be neat too :dryadgrin:

That lightning itself sounds a bit more destructive and annoying than it would be pleasing, honestly.

Although I've to agree that at least a lightning 'flash' effect would be neat to have in game.

Well I was thinking having it incorporated into the game and not just be a simple visusl effect. I didnt mean for lightning to pop you countless times during a storm but rather be a low-chance occurence, such as when a falling star strikes an enemy. Simple flashes wouldnt satisfy me. I'd have to see big glowing sparks, too! :dryadgrin:

Nothing in the game annoys me more than being insta-killed by a boulder or explosives trap, especially when everything is going so well. So I understand being hit by lightning (I actually have been struck, BTW) could be a nuisance, but so long as it occurs seldomly and doesn't chip off 200hp then it wouldn't be any worse than being hit by a dart trap :dryadtongue:

Also, perhaps Dangersense Potions could be used to detect an impending lightning strike, and the buff doesnt have to be negative. Maybe a buff called "Charged!!" that grants enhanced movement and melee speed, etc.

Im also thinking of collecting the energy from a lightning spark like in Stardew Valley for use in some crafting.

Lightning could have the same effect as being struck by a Fallen Star: Harmless to the player; inflicts lots of damage on enemies. Taking that further, lightning could leave an item on the ground where it struck.

(What item? What does it do? I don't know, it's just a thought bubble. :))

Isn't that the whole point of lightning? Lightning is meant to be destructive and annoying, that's what it is.
In terms of game design, Lightning does't really deserve their place if all it means is to make the rain weather threatening.

Not every rain has lightning, and not every lightning is as dangerous as games predicts since you can hear it from far away.

[EDIT] I just wanted to avoid having a death caused by a bad luck roll. I didn't meant to offend the Original poster by this at all. :(

Last edited:
This would be great, but I, personally, would prefer it to be entirely aesthetic. I believe it would add a lot of atmosphere to thunderstorms in Terraria, but it would just be frustrating to have to worry about lightning hitting me, especially since there are already things like Flying Fish and Angry Nimbi.

Lightning could have the same effect as being struck by a Fallen Star: Harmless to the player; inflicts lots of damage on enemies. Taking that further, lightning could leave an item on the ground where it struck.

(What item? What does it do? I don't know, it's just a thought bubble. :))
I really like the idea that lightning would drop an item on the ground. Maybe it could be some sort of shard that would be used for potions?

This is on mobile AFAIK, should be ported over just for visual effect and nothing else really.

Maybe the frequency of lightning would be decided based on the player's Y position and what biome they're in? (I.e alot of lightning in crimson and corruption, would work very nicely with the whole "evil" aesthetic)

That lightning itself sounds a bit more destructive and annoying than it would be pleasing, honestly.

Although I've to agree that at least a lightning 'flash' effect would be neat to have in game.
As ppowersteef said it would be annoying if it could destroy tiles or harm the player, but on the positive side the flashing visual effect could be great! :D I would love to see this in game, it will add a nice change to the rain event as its normally kinda boring.

Back
Top Bottom