Map-Adventure The Old Mans Quest

Hey guys! I'm super exited to finally make account here so I can post some new cool stuff, I've had Terraria for over 4 years (not 5 :( ) and I make youtube vids, and I've made a few and I'm going to be sowing you guys a adventure map I've created (I made a video on it that's why I brought up my channel ) So here is my map If you guys have any tips or any criticism I would be glad to hear it, (constructive criticism ) this is the video I made on it
Here is the link! : https://terraria.curseforge.com/projects/old_mans_quest
My video on it:
Chippys video on it:
(This guy is awesome) FuryForged's video on it :
I hope you guys have fun playing it any tips / suggestions will help!

Last edited:
I'm going to assume this map is made be super punishing on purpose and not feel bad about the multitude of deaths over the span of an hour it took to crawl through the map =)

The overall map visuals and fluidity of going from A to B to C etc as you progressed through the map was nice. I'm not up to date by a long shot on how map mechanics work these days but I'm loving how people are making auto teleport doors.

Going to be honest I died fairly instantly on pretty much every combat encounter. The scales fairly weighted against the player with any error I felt.
The exception of course the last fight in the map where you are seriously overpowered for the encounter haha...
If I played through again just the fights I'd wager I would do a lot better, it was mostly unexpectedly getting jumped and initially reacting wrong after taking the gems. Jumping up for the fliers then the shades coming in with nowhere to go whilst landing the first jump ooof.
Getting the blade of grass and immediately switching to it when I think the iceblade would've made bacon easier.
The initial spider cave was probably on the difficult side of fair. Silver sword slightly inefficient for the area but passable.

I'm 100% here for the parkour though and honestly these sections were nice to play through, again on the difficult side of fair.

I don't think the following suggestions fit in flavor of the map considering it was made for yrimir's return haha but i'll list a few things anyway I would consider to make things take a more casual approach:
  • Personally I'd probably remove the shark spawners and hellstone floor Or work around some way of lessening the time between retries (that instant teleport on spawning for the last area was pretty cool on this).
    To me all these do is make the player take the extra time to run from spawn instead of climbing up the ladders to retry the goal.
    This is more of a personal grievance when coupling death with parkour sections, considering whether serious failure should result in a full fledged death or not. To be fair death has its uses and it can be pretty entertaining to unexpectedly be overwhelmed.

• I found it hard to see some of the hazards (spikes) without first jumping into them / shooting the ice blade at every square on the map first.
    Hard to see the detail of some of the hazards or where one should be jumping in tight spaces.

• A few times I literately had no idea what to do next (especially being new to a few map mechanics)
    I think chippy's video shows this as well where he got lost at the rope windows and the waterfall area with the sand(?) block that made jumping harder.
    Sometimes it can pay to have a short seeming superfluous area which in actual fact introduces the player to an upcoming challenge to teach the player ahead of time to climb or how to deal with jumping.
Though I had a fair expectation of what to expect and had fun with the deaths/unfairness.

I think the prize a the end rolled pretty well!!
20170814200745_1.jpg

Cheers for making the map!

I'm going to assume this map is made be super punishing on purpose and not feel bad about the multitude of deaths over the span of an hour it took to crawl through the map =)

The overall map visuals and fluidity of going from A to B to C etc as you progressed through the map was nice. I'm not up to date by a long shot on how map mechanics work these days but I'm loving how people are making auto teleport doors.

Going to be honest I died fairly instantly on pretty much every combat encounter. The scales fairly weighted against the player with any error I felt.
The exception of course the last fight in the map where you are seriously overpowered for the encounter haha...
If I played through again just the fights I'd wager I would do a lot better, it was mostly unexpectedly getting jumped and initially reacting wrong after taking the gems. Jumping up for the fliers then the shades coming in with nowhere to go whilst landing the first jump ooof.
Getting the blade of grass and immediately switching to it when I think the iceblade would've made bacon easier.
The initial spider cave was probably on the difficult side of fair. Silver sword slightly inefficient for the area but passable.

I'm 100% here for the parkour though and honestly these sections were nice to play through, again on the difficult side of fair.

I don't think the following suggestions fit in flavor of the map considering it was made for yrimir's return haha but i'll list a few things anyway I would consider to make things take a more casual approach:
  • Personally I'd probably remove the shark spawners and hellstone floor Or work around some way of lessening the time between retries (that instant teleport on spawning for the last area was pretty cool on this).
    To me all these do is make the player take the extra time to run from spawn instead of climbing up the ladders to retry the goal.
    This is more of a personal grievance when coupling death with parkour sections, considering whether serious failure should result in a full fledged death or not. To be fair death has its uses and it can be pretty entertaining to unexpectedly be overwhelmed.

• I found it hard to see some of the hazards (spikes) without first jumping into them / shooting the ice blade at every square on the map first.
    Hard to see the detail of some of the hazards or where one should be jumping in tight spaces.

• A few times I literately had no idea what to do next (especially being new to a few map mechanics)
    I think chippy's video shows this as well where he got lost at the rope windows and the waterfall area with the sand(?) block that made jumping harder.
    Sometimes it can pay to have a short seeming superfluous area which in actual fact introduces the player to an upcoming challenge to teach the player ahead of time to climb or how to deal with jumping.
Though I had a fair expectation of what to expect and had fun with the deaths/unfairness.

I think the prize a the end rolled pretty well!!
View attachment 180222

Cheers for making the map!
Thanks! and yeah its meant to be punishing and make you die, this was my first map and I wanted to see how well I could build a map before I moved on to my bigger project. (I'm working on another map that's going to have a real story, and a real adventure to it) And I was just testing things out and stuff like the auto teleporting doors (I invented that myself ^_^) so since it was kinda a "mini map" type build I wanted to make it longer by making it harder. And it came out great, and I got a lot of helpful and good feedback from it! Now its time to move on to my "big project" wish me luck!

Just to make things easier, you might want to put the download link on this page so that people don't have to navigate elsewhere. Not necessary, though.

Just finished the map. Pretty good item progression, but the difficulty is way over the top. I had to break some pots just to get some glow sticks because many parts of the map were pitch black. I had to cheat my way through many of the trials, which I don't really have much to say on. I could be terrible, or it could just be hard. I'd recommend giving the player a fairy bell at the start, along with perhaps giving the silver broadsword a knockback modifier to help with the wall creepers. Enough judging the map, I actually really enjoyed it. Nice job!

This map is just not for me. I dislike Parkour map with over the top difficulty. What is even the point of the sword if you cn't even deal with the shark traps with it. I am not a good parkour terraria player, but adventure is too much of a stretch for this map.

Back
Top Bottom