Unlocking the Mage's Potential

Lord Garak

Retinazer
Despite being the most die-hard Terraria fanatic I know, I've never, ever bothered to delve into the world of wizardry. Dozens of Warriors, a garrison of Rangers, and a lone Summoner, but not one mage I have ever borne. The extent of my arcane combat ends with the Space Gun. And yet for as long as I remember Mage has always been the meta of Terraria, the elitist.

So where did I go wrong? What is the key to this class? It has such an enormous equipment pool that I very much want to take the plunge, but I can't figure out the secret to mana management and weapon usage, nor can I locate a guide. If any Mages would care to enlighten me I would be most grateful.

Despite being the most die-hard Terraria fanatic I know, I've never, ever bothered to delve into the world of wizardry. Dozens of Warriors, a garrison of Rangers, and a lone Summoner, but not one mage I have ever borne. The extent of my arcane combat ends with the Space Gun. And yet for as long as I remember Mage has always been the meta of Terraria, the elitist.

So where did I go wrong? What is the key to this class? It has such an enormous equipment pool that I very much want to take the plunge, but I can't figure out the secret to mana management and weapon usage, nor can I locate a guide. If any Mages would care to enlighten me I would be most grateful.
just use shadowbean steaff and nebula armor from the beginning so u can be a good mage

Honestly when I play as a mage, I usually try to avoid draining my mana too much unless I use a lot of mana regen stuff. I don't really like using mana potions because the debuff decreases the effectiveness of magic weapons. For bosses, usually a mana regeneration potion paired with a star in a bottle and some other items that increase mana, do everything for me.

It's just a matter of balancing your mana I think. As long as you can balance it so you don't run out of mana in the worst moment, it should be fine.

Also if you're in mid-pre-Hardmode, I guess the Space Gun is fine but there are other weapons like the Water Bolt that can be useful. The Water Bolt should be able to destroy most pre-Hardmode bosses easily and once when you start Hardmode, you should try farming some biome Mimics or souls to gain some basic Hardmode mage weapons. This might be a bit hard or tedious because these enemies deal a lot of damage but once you get some weapons, it should be a lot easier. The Meteor Staff is also a good early-Hardmode weapon that can be crafted easily.

Honestly when I play as a mage, I usually try to avoid draining my mana too much unless I use a lot of mana regen stuff. I don't really like using mana potions because the debuff decreases the effectiveness of magic weapons. For bosses, usually a mana regeneration potion paired with a star in a bottle and some other items that increase mana, do everything for me.

It's just a matter of balancing your mana I think. As long as you can balance it so you don't run out of mana in the worst moment, it should be fine.

Also if you're in mid-pre-Hardmode, I guess the Space Gun is fine but there are other weapons like the Water Bolt that can be useful. The Water Bolt should be able to destroy most pre-Hardmode bosses easily and once when you start Hardmode, you should try farming some biome Mimics or souls to gain some basic Hardmode mage weapons. This might be a bit hard or tedious because these enemies deal a lot of damage but once you get some weapons, it should be a lot easier. The Meteor Staff is also a good early-Hardmode weapon that can be crafted easily.
MR potions, bottled stars, any other items? What kind of accessory modifiers?

Don't worry I'm used to avoiding damage with low defense.

I finally delved in recently and can summon it up in just one word:

Patience.

- You will not always run in Rambo like to get monsters
- Trigger happy will get you killed unless equipped to the teeth

Below are NECESSARY items if you'd like to enjoy the mage experience:
- Celestial anything. Getting those far away stars can really save the day
- Backup mana potions for when you forgot to pay attention to your mana pool
- ANY items that greatly increases your mana pool. I've found that Mana Cap beats Mana Regeneration any day. Although the later is very helpful.

I've found that you need at least 2 weapons:

- Knockback item with low mana cost. You will get mobbed and if you don't have one of these your choices are to run or die.
- The second is up to your style. It will be your main weapon, more suitable for picking off creatures one by one.

Strategies:

- Make use of your terrain. Items that allows flight or my favorite the Flying Carpet will keep you out of harm's way while allowing you to decimate your opponents from afar.
- Know your enemy. Sometimes it's best to run or to get situated. Know what your up against and have an idea of what it's going to take to defeat them.

The Bad News:

Sorry Devs but the Mage "Class" needs some major attention as it does in most games. You will be challenged and until you've beat Skeletron ( for Non-Hard Mode ) or defeated Plantera ( for Hard Mode ) you will not have items that correctly align to your point in the game. The Class is difficult at first, as designed, and takes some time to get used to. It's a completely different world so you can scrap most battle tactics from other classes.

My Favorite Weapons ( Pre Hard Mode )
- Water Bolt
- Demon Scythe
- Magic Missile/Flame Lash
- Space Gun w/ Suit

My Favorite Weapons ( Hard Mode )
- Golden Shower
- Leaf Blower
- Spirit Flame
- Rainbow Rod
- Betsy's Wrath
- Life Drain
- ANY End Game item at which point when you get one of these you become a God

my pre-HM favourite magical weapons are here:
-Space Gun in the Meteorite suit
-Gem Staves (in 1.2.4 on mobile I used that Diamond Staff)
-Flower of Fire (it is op, and it can bounce, effectve against the wall of flesh)
-Flame Lash
in hardmode:
-Sky's Fracture (crafted from a Pre-HM weapon and light shards)
-ShadowBeam Staff
-Razor Pine
-Staff of Earth
-any Nebula or PostMoonLord weapon

Back
Top Bottom