Official Console 1.3 Update Feedback Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, first post on the forums here. I have an Xbox One X and have been eagerly waiting for the 1.3 update. I have already run into the map overwriting bug which I have now lost all my progress. I play multiplayer with my daughter and even though my map has been overwritten that is not what has turned me off to playing the game anymore. The simple fact that everytime I go into my daughters gameworld none of the map is revealed. I have to start all over again as it is all black. We have tested it where I started a new world and none of her map that has been revealed saves either. Also my settings are never saved however that is so trivial its fine, but has anyone fround a workaround to have the map saved so I dont have to keep starting from scratch. Until that gets fixed I am done playing which is sad as my daughter has also stopped playing since it is frustrating. Sorry to rant but am hopeful there is something I am missing.

Yes they have. Yes, some things will be done. What precisely that is has not been revealed yet.

Pretty sure that is just a graphical oddity/glitch with the text and not actually impacting the stats themselves, gameplay-wise.

Those two are known (I have them all the time in my play as well) - though those are not game-breakers, so they are far lower down "the list"....

How long were you idling? Is it a set period of time or variable?

I will see if PW has this listed - I have not encountered it myself yet. I cannot say where it is on their list until I hear back.

Just so that I am clear:
  • You are saying that the counter resets to zero any time you switch between a MP world and SP world?
    • So, if you were at 1057 green slimes on your SP world and then you swapped to a MP world, when you came back to SP, it says Green Slimes: 0?
  • Also, it resets at every Moon Lord kill
  • Again, all of these on the same consistent world(s)? (as kill counts are tied to worlds, not characters)

Incorrect in the last part, correct in the first in terms of order of priority.

This is the endgame Celestial Tower invasion event. It is intended to be a challenge - one that leads up to the best gear in the game and the final boss battle. The good news is that you can see those Pillars on your map and avoid them as needed. Each Pillar has its own dynamics designed to challenge various gameplay styles. Give it a chance and maybe research a bit about the event on the wiki. :)

Just going to give my straight up honest take (caveat: my current play is only through Skeletron and due to my crappy internet, I can only play SP) as of right now - that doesn't mean that others' takes are different (ymmv, etc) and I am sure it will be called biased, limited, etc. Also this is just my personal thoughts - cannot say that this represents the team, etc. - but such as that is:

Oddly enough - and this is coming from someone that would greatly prefer M+K for Terraria, but also grew up on consoles - I have not had this "literally unplayable" experience that I expected to encounter after hearing a lot of the more extreme comments here. My biggest difficulties are adjusting to playing with Terraria a gamepad at all - but that's my issue, not the game.

Playing on a TV, from a couch ~10' away... and no, I do not (sadly) own a 72" TV. :p

The UI has a handful of issues (blinking is annoying, overlap of some text, etc) - but the only time I find things trip over into the "holy crap that's really bad" realm is when ANY level of zoom is put in place. Zoom - for some reason - creates a litany of transparency and other issues that I would personally agree start to trip into the "this really isn't gonna work" stage.

Also can be a bit hard when in the map screen to zoom and look for stuff (one of my fave approaches) given the sensitivity of the cursor there and the font size.

The rest - quite frankly - is adjusting to a new way. For example, double tapping LB to get to the "grid" crafting works best for me here - whereas on PC I would have used the "list". I can get how a "filtered" list would be easier in some aspects - but this is far, far from unusable or even that difficult really once I took time to sort it out. Granted, I am "used" to the PC interface - but there is a far cry from "I'm used to X and this is Y" and "this is so horribly broken that no reasonable human being could use this". At this point, I'm about as smooth with Console as PC in this regard. Just my take - again, not invalidating anyone else's.

All that to say - everyone gets that this is different. Have tried to be up front about that - and that, though the "old way" isn't returning, that the team has the list of feedback and will hopefully soon be able to share a plan to perhaps ease that transition from X to Y for those that find it difficult.

You can toggle D-Pad mapping back in the Controls menu (where you can also customize your controls).

So, let me paraphrase back to be sure I have it:
  • All of the issues that you had with SE on your system are not occurring on his.
  • Hypothesis being that there may be some aspect of older XB1's that trigger this (now I am gonna have to go look at XB1 hardware changes over time)
  • How old is yours vs his?

If you are unable to save your progress at all, I would tend to agree with that assessment. I know there are (from the last I saw) a couple of fixes that touch on saving/autosaving in the next fix patch... so I will be hopeful that this resolves your specific issue (as well as for anyone else experiencing the same). I have been unable to replicate any of it yet on my play - in spite of trying (and having an accidental attempt when my net dropped and my box logged me out of my profile and thus the game/my save). Gonna keep trying though.

I have directly shared your experience and all details to the QA and Dev teams - they were aware of a few edge cases (the source of those fixes I mention above), but not directly yours - and no one has been able to replicate it since (even I have tried to do so on my retail box). That said, and like you say, not being able to save is certainly a "big deal" - so I'll stay at it.

Filing a report via their system can never hurt - I say go for it.
It’s all subjective. I imagine you played Terraria on PC. I never have. And my personal vision is decent, but bad enough that I must play fully zoomed in for the game not to be a blurry mess on my TV, a 49” 4k tv.

The UI we had before WORKED in this situation. It was clearly made for console use. The one we have now, at full zoom, is not usable to me.

If they manage to fix it so that I feel like I can use the menus at full zoom, I will be happy even if it is never as good in my eyes as what we had. If they don’t, then I’ll simply stop playing. I don’t want to. My group built a city that spanned a quarter of the map once. But if I feel the devs do not care about my experience then I will move on, and remember that when their next game releases.

Hi Loki, Thanks for the response. I am fine with the world being overwritten (well not fine but whats done is done) my question on a workaround is in regards to the fact that when I join my daughters world for a multiplayer game if I explore the map it shows where I have been. When I exit out and join the game right after...or even the next day then the map is all black as if I never explored anything. Perhaps an example would help...I go into her world and go all the way to the left and right until I hit the ocean. Then when I jump back into her game the next day it is all black as if it was unexplored leaving me to have to again run all the way left and right to find the ocean just so it shows on the in game map or minimap. Is there a workaround for that or are we the only ones where everytime we join a multiplayer game we have to reexplore everything?

If you are unable to save your progress at all, I would tend to agree with that assessment. I know there are (from the last I saw) a couple of fixes that touch on saving/autosaving in the next fix patch... so I will be hopeful that this resolves your specific issue (as well as for anyone else experiencing the same). I have been unable to replicate any of it yet on my play - in spite of trying (and having an accidental attempt when my net dropped and my box logged me out of my profile and thus the game/my save). Gonna keep trying though.

I have directly shared your experience and all details to the QA and Dev teams - they were aware of a few edge cases (the source of those fixes I mention above), but not directly yours - and no one has been able to replicate it since (even I have tried to do so on my retail box). That said, and like you say, not being able to save is certainly a "big deal" - so I'll stay at it.

Filing a report via their system can never hurt - I say go for it.

Thanks for the reply. While I would agree that "technically" the game is playable it is my opinion (based on my personal experiences so far) that it is in fact unplayable since I can't save at all (as you suggest would be the defining key point). The game doesn't give me the control to save unless I want to Quit every single time and reload just to save progress and even that isn't a guarantee. The problem is that without a reliable save function the game isn't fun. Who want's to play for an hour just to have to start over again next time they play? Try building something for a couple of hours then simply turn the system off and delete your saves. Start over. Rinse and repeat. That my be playable but it's not any fun so to me it's unplayable. Unless the devs where shooting for just technically playable and don't care whether it's an enjoyable experience, which I doubt very much.

So while the game is technically playable as in I can boot it up and play without having my progress saved the inability to save progress makes me want to not play it. To me, that makes a game unplayable...not because of the content mind you but because it can't be trusted as being reliable towards providing the basic fundamental aspects of a video game...the ability to save your progress. Yes, I realize that there are arcade games and such that don't save progress but Terraria was never meant to be one of those games. Therefore, I must consider it broken to the point of being shelved...unplayable.

Once again, this is a fresh new post-update world and character. I haven't played any other world or character since the update and haven't brought anything into this world that wasn't there to begin with.

And just for the sake of loving this game I just logged in again a few seconds ago and once I saw my completely empty bags (of which I had filled to the brim along with my piggy bank before the last crash) I just couldn't care enough to play so I instantly logged out. That is a game creating a feeling within a player to not play the game...that to me is the very definition of unplayable.

It’s all subjective. I imagine you played Terraria on PC. I never have. And my personal vision is decent, but bad enough that I must play fully zoomed in for the game not to be a blurry mess on my TV, a 49” 4k tv.

See, this is why we are having a different experience, I suspect. (my vision is not that wonderful either). My screen is a bit bigger, but not by much. That said - the zoom-in is where all of these transparency and opacity and on and on issues come to pass. I set my controller down once for a bio break and came back and didn't notice at first until I went to craft something (one of my triggers must have been hit when I put it down). It was really bad. To me, that zoom issue is at least one of the core/root problems right now - the rest, I think mostly falls into "gotta get used to it'/"it's a big change" (with a few exceptions).

This can easily be seen by anyone zooming to 100% and then zooming in even a slight amount. Clearly, all zoom levels need to have equal support here.

Rest assured that is not something "no one cares about" - its a legit issue.

Hi Loki, Thanks for the response. I am fine with the world being overwritten (well not fine but whats done is done) my question on a workaround is in regards to the fact that when I join my daughters world for a multiplayer game if I explore the map it shows where I have been

Not sure about the map reset thing. I'm not fine with the world overwrite issue - but I am glad there is a workaround and a fix in the near-term coming (hopefully).

I will ask though, about the map thing.

So while the game is technically playable as in I can boot it up and play without having my progress saved the inability to save progress makes me want to not play it.

Yep. Do not disagree with that at all. Apologies if I was unclear before - was addressing two different issues (UI and your save issue). If you cannot save progress reliably on a game as deep and lengthy as Terraria, it kinda defeats the purpose.

I have not had that issue - I would assume most have not (or we would hear more about it) - so thus my personal experience. Yours is different and for good reason. Not being a coder, all I can promise is that I have and will make sure your issue is seen and will update as I can as to its being addressed. I am hopeful that the next update will fix whatever is going on with your saves - I do hope you will check back and let me know one way or the other once it drops.

I have a peculiar question that I haven't seen in earlier posts. Is it possible that they could make the old August 26, 2016 version available? Some kind of dual selectable update rather than forcing this update down everyone's throat? I am one of those that feel the UI has ruined the game. I tried uninstalling it, set autoupdate off and reinstalled it, but it is now back to its unupdated version - I believe April 17, 2014. Of course a lot was released between 2014 and 2016 and I would like to be able to restore my saved worlds from USB. I understand a lot of work went into this update, but I just am not impressed enough with the new content with everything that was ruined. Consoles are not and will never be PCs. As has been stated before the game play is entirely different and, well, you just can't force a console to do what a PC does. I've never heard of anyone playing a PC game, or working in Open Office or MS Office across the room on a 42 inch monitor... They're sitting 18 to 24 inches away where everything can be seen with a mouse that moves freely everywhere.
So, can this game be set to run the old version with the patches to prior to this update? I am not asking for the new content , I just want the game I bought to work the way it has for the past couple years.
If not, I will delete this unusable PS4 version and stick with the PS3 version that is playable.

@Loki

No hard feelings. I was mostly venting and I really do appreciate your updates as the level of communication is most inspirational. Outside of venting I just wanted to make absolutely sure that everyone that needs to be is aware of the issue and from your responses I have no worries about that. I hope that you can tell from my other posts since the update that I'm a fair individual with an open mind to change. I absolutely love this update outside of the crash bug. I can even tolerate the UI :) Please don't take anything I have said too harshly, sometimes it just comes down to whether or not I've had my coffee yet.

And who are we kidding...I'm about to load up the game again. I want to test whether or not freeing up more HD space will help (although 50 free gigs should be enough to handle saves properly) and I want to try the Split-Screen save...I'll log in my game partner's character into split-screen then Save & Quit her character first. The one time that the game froze after a split-screen MP session it didn't lose any progress because even though her screen froze with a spinning sunflower I was still able to Save & Quit the game normally from my screen. I want to see if either of those ideas have any affect on this issue so of course I'm going to play again. After that though I'll have to leave it up to you all to figure things out because I'll be fresh out of ideas and I'll only be able to tolerate the loss of progress so much before giving up. In that event, I have Terraria on PC ready to roll.

Thanks again and Peace!

EDIT: I just had a thought about this and was wondering if it could have anything to do with the game Syncing to the Cloud during a Save & Quit? If so, should I turn Cloud Saving off to see if it helps or is that a NO-NO? I don't play on any other xbox other than my own so the cloud saves were always just a piece of mind thing for me but if it's possibly causing problems I'd be willing to do anything at this point to see if it works.

Last edited:
See, this is why we are having a different experience, I suspect. (my vision is not that wonderful either). My screen is a bit bigger, but not by much. That said - the zoom-in is where all of these transparency and opacity and on and on issues come to pass. I set my controller down once for a bio break and came back and didn't notice at first until I went to craft something (one of my triggers must have been hit when I put it down). It was really bad. To me, that zoom issue is at least one of the core/root problems right now - the rest, I think mostly falls into "gotta get used to it'/"it's a big change" (with a few exceptions).

This can easily be seen by anyone zooming to 100% and then zooming in even a slight amount. Clearly, all zoom levels need to have equal support here.

Rest assured that is not something "no one cares about" - its a legit issue.
Well, that’s why I’m still here waiting to see how well it works post “fix”. I can get used to a terrible UI if it is at least functional (hello again Minecraft Better Together).

Any word on when the next patch for any of these issues is? Have one friend so paranoid he won’t even update until the overwrite bug is gone.

Hey, a small minor bug I haven't seen posted anywhere. I play on xbox1, when I'm done in a chest and I hit the B button to exit, most of the time it won't exit. The contents of the chest disappear from the screen for a split second but then they're back. I have to hit the B button 2-3 times to get out of the chest.

This happens on both chests I've placed and ones I've found.

Playing on world that was created after the recent update.

Thanks
Dan

I have a peculiar question that I haven't seen in earlier posts. Is it possible that they could make the old August 26, 2016 version available? Some kind of dual selectable update rather than forcing this update down everyone's throat? I am one of those that feel the UI has ruined the game. I tried uninstalling it, set autoupdate off and reinstalled it, but it is now back to its unupdated version - I believe April 17, 2014. Of course a lot was released between 2014 and 2016 and I would like to be able to restore my saved worlds from USB. I understand a lot of work went into this update, but I just am not impressed enough with the new content with everything that was ruined. Consoles are not and will never be PCs. As has been stated before the game play is entirely different and, well, you just can't force a console to do what a PC does. I've never heard of anyone playing a PC game, or working in Open Office or MS Office across the room on a 42 inch monitor... They're sitting 18 to 24 inches away where everything can be seen with a mouse that moves freely everywhere.
So, can this game be set to run the old version with the patches to prior to this update? I am not asking for the new content , I just want the game I bought to work the way it has for the past couple years.
If not, I will delete this unusable PS4 version and stick with the PS3 version that is playable.

That would be the absolute best solution to this horrible mess they've created. That way, the people who love this update could still play it & those who hate it could downgrade. They won't do that, of course, because they don't want to have multiple styles of the game. Everything has to be the same as the PC, because they're tired of making updates for multiple systems, and figured no one will care. They don't take into account that the PS4 isn't a PC. We shouldn't have had this forced on us.

I'm personally going back to PS3 & Vita for when I'm on the couch or on the go.

Last edited:
If this continues happening every time you launch the game, please let us know.

However, the world file conversion process can be rather lengthy, depending on total number of worlds, etc.
My friends have been stuck on world conversion for hours, and still aren't able to play since the update came out, they have no worlds, please respond.

Any word on when the next patch for any of these issues is? Have one friend so paranoid he won’t even update until the overwrite bug is gone.

Hopefully soon. I do not think they will have all of any UI changes in yet, but I do know that Overwrite was a major focus of this wave - so I am hopeful that one will be squashed at last.

Hopefully the tweaks that they have planned will work for you. As for me, I have no issues with it zoomed to 100% - anything tighter than that is bad juju on the UI front, no argument from me there. Maybe just different backgrounds/experiences. /shrug

when is xbox going to get the grand design and multi wire tool it's sooooo inconvenient to engineer without it

I will see if PW has this listed - I have not encountered it myself yet. I cannot say where it is on their list until I hear back.

Just so that I am clear:
  • You are saying that the counter resets to zero any time you switch between a MP world and SP world?
    • So, if you were at 1057 green slimes on your SP world and then you swapped to a MP world, when you came back to SP, it says Green Slimes: 0?
  • Also, it resets at every Moon Lord kill
  • Again, all of these on the same consistent world(s)? (as kill counts are tied to worlds, not characters)
Yes. I play single player in my main world, the counts go up. I switch to multiplayer and load the same world and all the kill counts reset. In the worlds where I have never played MP, the kill counts are fine... I just killed my 600th zombie in one of my new worlds. But every time I switch my main world from SP to MP so my friend can join me, even if just to swap items we've gotten while farming, the counts reset and I have to start from scratch.

Yesterday, I had a solar eclipse. 79 butchers, 40-something deadly spheres, 4 mothrons, 80-something vampires, et cetera. Invited my friend over after the eclipse ended to give him some items I've been saving for him and get an item he'd been saving for me. He was in the world 5 minutes tops. I switched back to single player, had a blood moon leading into another eclipse. And all the enemy counts were right back at 0.

When killing the Moon Lord, neither of us leaves the world between kills. We take down the pillars and fight the Big Bad Boss, clean up the mess, heal, spend some time just puttering until the cultists respawn, rinse and repeat. And yet somewhere between the Moon Lord dying and the cultists reappearing the kill counts reset back to zero.

This is all one single world. I've only ever invited my friend over to my main world. None of my other worlds have this problem. Just the main, and just when I go from SP to MP and back to SP.

Whilst I was going to the dungeon, there were new enemies, a powerful one then appeared and after I defeated it, my world got surrounded with swarming enemies just after this. Every time I go near them, I do not last long even though I have maximum life.

The cultists are passive unless attacked. You can just walk right past them. Just don't wear something like the chlorophyte armor b/c the crystal might shoot at them and aggro them. Most minions won't even target them unless they're already aggro'd.

If you've already started the event the only way to get rid of them is to beat the pillars and defeat the Moon Lord, or die trying. You can ask a friend or someone here to help you if you need to.

Last edited:
when is xbox going to get the grand design and multi wire tool it's sooooo inconvenient to engineer without it

That would be a part of the 1.3.1 content update - which I assume will be after console is stabilized and mobile/switch are brought to pass.

Yes. I play single player in my main world, the counts go up. I switch to multiplayer and load the same world and all the kill counts reset. In the worlds where I have never played MP, the kill counts are fine... I just killed my 600th zombie in one of my new worlds. But every time I switch my main world from SP to MP so my friend can join me, even if just to swap items we've gotten while farming, the counts reset and I have to start from scratch.

Does this happen on splitscreen MP or just network MP?

This is all one single world

Does this happen on other worlds? Like if you created a brand new world from scratch, does this happen on that one as well or is it literally just that one world?

Does this happen on splitscreen MP or just network MP?

Does this happen on other worlds? Like if you created a brand new world from scratch, does this happen on that one as well or is it literally just that one world?

Just that one world, and only after it's been switched to Multiplayer. I haven't played multiplayer in any of my newly generated worlds. Should I try and see if it happens there too?

Network MP. My friend is in another province and there is literally no one here for me to need splitscreen. I have no one to play with except online.

Just that one world, and only after it's been switched to Multiplayer. I haven't played multiplayer in any of my newly generated worlds. Should I try and see if it happens there too?

Network MP. My friend is in another province and there is literally no one here for me to need splitscreen. I have no one to play with except online.

Would be a good experiment - could just make a new one and see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom