What is your opinion on future cross-platform play?

Status
Not open for further replies.

InvisibleBurger

Terrarian
To me, cross-platform play will be game-changing. Now that 1.3 has come out for Xbox One and PS4, I hope that Pipeworks and Re-Logic work together to make cross-platform multiplayer for Terraria a possibility. My friend plays Terraria on PS4 (he's new, he just beat the EoC), and I play it on Mac (I've beaten the game as a melee class in normal, I'm now working on beating expert with a mage class) and we love to talk about it. I give him advice, he tells me about things that happened in his game, and we play while calling each other.
However, we would like to play together, but since he plays on PS4 and I play on Mac, we are forever separated...
Unless Re-Logic and Pipeworks work together to make cross-platform multiplayer a reality.

To me, cross-platform play will be game-changing. Now that 1.3 has come out for Xbox One and PS4, I hope that Pipeworks and Re-Logic work together to make cross-platform multiplayer for Terraria a possibility. My friend plays Terraria on PS4 (he's new, he just beat the EoC), and I play it on Mac (I've beaten the game as a melee class in normal, I'm now working on beating expert with a mage class) and we love to talk about it. I give him advice, he tells me about things that happened in his game, and we play while calling each other.
However, we would like to play together, but since he plays on PS4 and I play on Mac, we are forever separated...
Unless Re-Logic and Pipeworks work together to make cross-platform multiplayer a reality.
I think it would be super fun; not sure how viable it is, though.
Then again, I don't know anything about programming.

I think it would be super fun; not sure how viable it is, though.
Then again, I don't know anything about programming.
Neither do I, and it is a large possibility that it might not be possible with the current way that Terraria is built on computer and how it's built on console, but I hope that there is some chance that cross-platform play could be viable.

The biggest hurdle is getting all the platform manufacturers (console) to buy in on cross-play. So far they have not for the vast majority of games. They mumble about technical issues and security of their player networks and never really do anything to make it viable for game developers to work on cross-play features for their games.

Yes, you can cross-play Minecraft on XB1, Windows 10, mobile and the Switch (eventually?). But Microsoft owns the game and two of the platforms; Sony isn't part of it. Microsoft wanted to get in on the popularity of the Switch, but there's no other such deals made public. As far as I know, this is a one-off deal.

Earlier this year, there was a brief 'glitch' that allowed XB1 and PS4 players to join in co-op games of Fortnite. Once the 'glitch' was brought to the awareness of Epic Games, it was quickly patched out.
https://www.polygon.com/2017/9/18/16329656/fortnite-cross-platform-play

It's really not up to Re-Logic and Pipeworks to make this happen, at this stage. I think it would be a very fine thing to have happen, though.

The biggest hurdle is getting all the platform manufacturers (console) to buy in on cross-play. So far they have not for the vast majority of games. They mumble about technical issues and security of their player networks and never really do anything to make it viable for game developers to work on cross-play features for their games.

Yes, you can cross-play Minecraft on XB1, Windows 10, mobile and the Switch (eventually?). But Microsoft owns the game and two of the platforms; Sony isn't part of it. Microsoft wanted to get in on the popularity of the Switch, but there's no other such deals made public. As far as I know, this is a one-off deal.

Earlier this year, there was a brief 'glitch' that allowed XB1 and PS4 players to join in co-op games of Fortnite. Once the 'glitch' was brought to the awareness of Epic Games, it was quickly patched out.
https://www.polygon.com/2017/9/18/16329656/fortnite-cross-platform-play

It's really not up to Re-Logic and Pipeworks to make this happen, at this stage. I think it would be a very fine thing to have happen, though.

Thanks for explaining!
It is a pity that since Microsoft owns the game, XB1, and Windows, they won't enable cross-platform play with PS4, since it's Sony and all that.
I do have hope that Microsoft and Sony might make a deal together for helping the devs do cross-play with PC/Mac and PS4, but I know it probably won't happen. However, it could turn into a selling point for Terraria to have cross-play (as it was with Rocket League), so who knows. I guess for now, me and my bud are forever separated...

It is a pity that since Microsoft owns the game, XB1, and Windows, they won't enable cross-platform play with PS4...

Sorry for digging up an old post, but I need to correct the record.
Microsoft is very open to allowing cross platform / cross network play, it's Sony that's actively blocking it.
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016...hurdle-to-cross-platform-play-developers-say/

I too would like to play Terraria across platforms, namely if certain family members get it for certain consoles I can still play with them without shelling out for another copy.

I say nay. It has unfair advantages and disadvantages for different platforms. PC there isn't really disadvangtages, but there's a lot of advantages. For example, Console players' cursors move REALLY slowly. Mobile players have trouble building and piling up sometimes. It wouldn't be fair. Just keep it multiplayer on same platform.

Yussss I needs yusss
[doublepost=1516210892,1516210846][/doublepost]I don’t see a problem with it at all.

(I've not programmed before but here's my feedback) It will be good but even the One Terraria still leave gaps. For example,they promised little gaps but to have an ability to cross-play is no gaps beetween updates or very little that in the history of Terraria never happened. PC is the main platform but I've seen difficulties of programming PC to other platforms. I haven't seen PC to cross play (sorry). Console have big chance also as Mobile to Console. But I've heard that Mobile wouldn't be a whole part of "One Terraria" as they may leave Lepus and other Mobile Exclusive because of cough *505* wants it to stay. And the console legacy items make it more diffuclt as well as platofrms still have gaps as they have different coding mechanics. Also the platform differences like controls affects. Also Pipeworks and Relogic are different companies. Pipeowrks just work for porting Terraria and possibly Otherworld. This is preety long so you're amazing if you finshed.

Thanks for explaining!
It is a pity that since Microsoft owns the game, XB1, and Windows, they won't enable cross-platform play with PS4, since it's Sony and all that.

It wasn't MS that stopped cross-play for Minecraft on PS4; it was Sony. Mojang made the offer, but Sony refused and with a pretty lame excuse (something about them not being able to control things and "protect" their users). A similar situation happened with Rocket League where the developer called Sony out on not allowing cross-play with other platforms.

But back to the matter at hand, Terraria would need some other things to go cross-platform besides being given the OK from console manufacturers. A big one would be parity of content, meaning each version would essentially have to be the same (though there could be differences in functionality, such as how PC has the chat bar). There's also the question of how something like a universal friend's list could be made, and so on.

Cross-play is an awesome feature and it's nice to see more developers are doing it, but there is a lot that goes into making it happen. It would be nice to have someday, but I think that dream is a ways off.

It wasn't MS that stopped cross-play for Minecraft on PS4; it was Sony. Mojang made the offer, but Sony refused and with a pretty lame excuse (something about them not being able to control things and "protect" their users). A similar situation happened with Rocket League where the developer called Sony out on not allowing cross-play with other platforms.

But back to the matter at hand, Terraria would need some other things to go cross-platform besides being given the OK from console manufacturers. A big one would be parity of content, meaning each version would essentially have to be the same (though there could be differences in functionality, such as how PC has the chat bar). There's also the question of how something like a universal friend's list could be made, and so on.

Cross-play is an awesome feature and it's nice to see more developers are doing it, but there is a lot that goes into making it happen. It would be nice to have someday, but I think that dream is a ways off.
Everytime I See "Sony" In A Post, I Hate Them More And More. They Keep Making Mistake After Mistake.
Lets Hope They Get A Smack In The Face And Actually Do Something Right For Once. `-_-
Like Agreeing To Make Terraria Crossplay `;)

Sorry for digging up an old post, but I need to correct the record.
Microsoft is very open to allowing cross platform / cross network play, it's Sony that's actively blocking it.
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016...hurdle-to-cross-platform-play-developers-say/

I too would like to play Terraria across platforms, namely if certain family members get it for certain consoles I can still play with them without shelling out for another copy.
The number of times they said "Windows 10" in that article makes me suspicious. Are they really open to cross-play, or are they just trying to consolidate two of their tightly controlled markets? (XBox and Windows Store)

would be weird, but fun

mobile player may have issues but if it's xbox and pc i can see it happening

ps4 may not be possible, as well, sony may have problems implementing cross-play w/ microsoft, but overall it's a gr8 plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom