Terraria: Otherworld This is the End: Otherworld Development Cancelled

The only thing successful entrepreneurs have in common is that they have failed... and learned from and persisted through those failures.

Privateers has literally nothing to do with Otherworld - two VASTLY different situations. Will just leave it at that.

Oh, indeed. I wasn't trying to bring that into discussion. Was merely trying to reference said game to make a point about customer perception.

And seriously, if voicing my displeasure with the way something was handled is selfish. I guess I'm selfish. Sorry, but I'm not sorry.

As respectable as finally coming out and saying this is. I don't feel the need to be all fawning, and "don't worry you will get them next time".

Some people are like that. And you must learn to deal with it.

Awww that's really unfortunate especially for you guys but its okay because there's a bright future ahead for Re-Logic and like you said, many ideas still in the works. Keep doing great things guys! You never disappoint me.

maybe if you give the production to another company altogether, Otherworld will have a truly free and blank slate to be made on.

maybe if you give the production to another company altogether, Otherworld will have a truly free and blank slate to be made on.

That's the very thing Re-Logic wanted to get out of. They already did that once. It started out as 505 and then they gave it to Pipeworks and now they're thinking that outsourcing really isn't working, that every future project should be done in-house.

The SLATE was not really a major problem, as they have stated on the first page the project was just taking too long and it wasn't making progress fast enough... bringing it to another company has already been attempted and it didn't get much more done.

Interesting how many people and time it will take to finish the game?

Developing a game takes a long, long time. Especially if you want it to be a good game that is up to the standards that Re-Logic has in mind (it took ConcernedApe of Stardew Valley fame 5+ years to get his 1.0 out the door, and IIRC, he slaved away at that game and it ate up a huge chunk of his life). T:OW would have had some big shoes to fill, because Terraria 1.3.6 is hugely popular, many people play Terraria, and they don't want to let down their customers or give their customers the impression that Terraria was just a fluke.

If they had released T:OW and it just wasn't up to standards, or it just wasn't as fun as the original then their reputation could have been tarnished. Re-Logic is in a precarious position right now, because they only have 1 title developed solely by them, which was a smash hit. If they release a game that gets mixed reviews, some people might think that Re-Logic just got lucky with Terraria and that they really aren't that good of a developer.

That, and there's enough bad sequels in the gaming industry as it is; I would hazard a guess that Re-Logic didn't want T:OW to be known as yet one more bad sequel/spinoff game, and they certainly don't want people looking at it like it's a cash-grab or something.

One thing we need to realize is that the community here on TCF is probably <10% of the whole Terraria playerbase, and a good portion of the playerbase was probably not even aware of Otherworld. If OW were to be released in such a way that it just didn't live up to the standards that Terraria set, some Terraria players might have viewed it... less-than-favorably.

There's a lot that goes on behind the scenes that we just aren't aware of.

I wasnt sure where to put this, seeing as its not terraria. But I had a question for the developers.
Could you show a larger bit of gameplay, maybe the first 10 minutes? No need to keep it undercover anymore.

Good Day, Terrarians-

We wanted to take a few moments to share some important news with you all in regards to the status of Terraria: Otherworld.

As you all know from when we first announced the game a long while ago – and as we repeated in our subsequent posts - Re-Logic’s focus has and always will be on delivering complete and quality game experiences to our fanbase. Just to underscore it once more, this means that we will not compromise game quality for speed to market or for any other reasons within our control. Our team has a clear vision for this game – one that we shared with all of you with much shared excitement – and, in spite of all of our efforts, the current state of the game remains equal parts far from that vision and beyond behind schedule from our initial planning when we shared Otherworld with all of you three years ago. Progress has absolutely been made during that time – but unfortunately, a very thorough status review of the game versus its intended design showed both the Re-Logic and 505/Pipeworks teams that things were quite a bit further away from the finish line than we had imagined. Taking the massive amount of work that would be remaining to complete along with the extensive time it would take to get that done, and how that would greatly interfere with the pursuit of other projects on behalf of Re-Logic – it becomes clear that this leaves things in a very undesirable state.

As a result, we have made the decision to terminate development of Terraria: Otherworld.

We sincerely thank both of our external development teams for their hard work on the game, but at some point, we have to be honest with ourselves and realize that Otherworld simply is never going to reach its potential in any sort of reasonable time or fashion.

We know that the cancellation of Terraria: Otherworld will not be happy news to anyone. It is FAR from a happy moment for us either, when we look at all the time/effort/resources that we poured into the project. However, we feel strongly that we owe it to our community and loyal customers to uphold the standards that both you and we expect and to focus on delivering the best possible games that we can for you all to play. Come whatever may, quality is simply not something we are willing to compromise on to make a quick buck. It may be painful in the short term, but our sincere hope is that it will pay off for everyone in the long term in regard to our future games. T:OW will never come to pass, but its lessons learned and ideas generated will absolutely yield dividends for everyone.

index.php

So, what now? Next Steps for Re-Logic & Lessons Learned

• In hindsight, it goes without saying that we never should have spoken publicly about this game as early-on as we did. We will fully own that error in judgement. Moving forward, we will be far more judicious about only sharing information on projects in which we are fully confident in regards to timing, etc. We can only apologize for all of the emotional rollercoaster this caused.

• Trying to outsource development of such a critical title for our company – even if just in part – was not the way to go. Moving ahead, our focus for the core development of new/future titles will be more inward and will seek to utilize our own people. We will share more information there just as soon as we have it.

• Re-Logic has possession of the game (design, code, art, sounds, etc.) as it exists today, and there are still a ton of amazing ideas under the hood here – many of which have never been publicly shared. These are ideas that we have not and will not forget and that you will very likely see implemented in our future titles.

• Active development of Terraria continues - 1.3.6 is still very much in active development. We know that we have not shared a lot in the way of spoilers there – but rest assured that the team has been working tirelessly on our next PC wave.

• This keeps our partners at 505/Pipeworks wholly focused on Console/Mobile/Switch – and there is still a TON to get done there, so that should be good.

index.php

Thanks so much to you all for your amazing support of Terraria, Terraria: Otherworld, and our company. It is that support that drives us every day to do amazing things for you and we look forward to sharing more of what is to come very soon.

We are sure that you have a ton of questions, and we will answer what we can – but we will not delve into some areas out of either respect or confidence or the unknown. So we will ask your patience and forgiveness in advance there. Thanks!

Im not even damn sad or angry at the devs. They tried their damn best. Trying is better than nothing. Thats a fact. Otherworld looked like a really good concept! Im excited to see terrarias future and where the devs will take it! ^-^ Relogic if you're reading this or a dev is... Keep trying your best. I cant wait to see what you guys got planned for 1.3.6. I know you didn't wanna cancel T:OW but you had an idea. That idea slowly strayed. But tbh... OW looked like an amazing concept. Crimother looked like a boss that I would definitely fight

Why would you want to see gameplay of a game that's no longer in production? Maybe there wasn't even a proper gameplay at all.

As stated before, they won't release any content of the game in cases of future ideas.

The 1.3.4 DD2 crossover content was similar to what was being developed for T:OW; namely, the tower defence style of gameplay. If memory serves correctly, one of the Re-Logic developers referred to the DD2 event as being like a test bed for T:OW. If you've played the DD2 events, you probably have a fairly good idea what T:OW was supposed to be. :)

Edit: Note: This was moved from a separate thread and was in response to @TheWorfer27's above request to show more details of the gameplay.

Last edited:
I would totally have liked to see this game come to completion, but if not then maybe we can see some mechanics re-used for regular 'ole Terraria?
(Please? :merchantcry:)

Wait what ? No way, is this real ? This is such a shocker, I've been waiting for so long
[doublepost=1524508419,1524507867][/doublepost]If you're starting to make a new game now, I fear that I will forget about gaming, like my life, man... I don't have much time left until I'm at a point where I have little to no time for gaming, I really didn't expect nothing to come out until I'm this old but it looks like it's getting there and honestly, it's just sad.

Developing a game takes a long, long time. Especially if you want it to be a good game that is up to the standards that Re-Logic has in mind (it took ConcernedApe of Stardew Valley fame 5+ years to get his 1.0 out the door, and IIRC, he slaved away at that game and it ate up a huge chunk of his life)...

I apologize for my google translate)) my idea is that if the authors are sure that in five years they will make this game, then a huge community of terrarians will happily support the project and will wait. If a million people give five dollars each, I think that will be enough. But this does not seem to work like Re-logic, so we'll wait for something else

Wait what ? No way, is this real ? This is such a shocker, I've been waiting for so long
[doublepost=1524508419,1524507867][/doublepost]If you're starting to make a new game now, I fear that I will forget about gaming, like my life, man... I don't have much time left until I'm at a point where I have little to no time for gaming, I really didn't expect nothing to come out until I'm this old but it looks like it's getting there and honestly, it's just sad.

Eh, c'mon, there's other games out there.

You like Terraria, I get that, hey so do I.

But Terraria is far from the only game I play. There's Starbound, there's Stardew Valley... I've been eyeing My Life At Portia (Stardew Valley + Breath of the Wild on PC!?!? *drool!*), then I've got my staples of FFXIV, WoW, there's also Minecraft if you're into that kind of thing (It's been on my to-do list for a long time), and then there's a plethora of other indie pixel art games, there's also some awesome ones coming up, like Heart Forth Alicia, Bloodlines: Ritual of the Night, and don't forget about stuff like Axiom Verge, Shovel Knight, etc.

Plenty of games out there.

EDIT: Not that I'm saying you should forget about Re-Logic and their games, but you know, if you've done everything you can think of to do and are waiting for 1.3.6+ like the rest of us, and you're bored... give some of the stuff I mentioned above a try.

Will development of Other World continue someday or will the game be released as is?

Already answered in the OP itself, no they are not releasing the game as-is, and no, there are no plans of continuing development and any usable assets might be re-used in Terraria or other future projects.

Back
Top Bottom