tModLoader Calamity Mod

What would you like me to create more of?

• NPCs (enemies, house NPCs, etc.)

Votes: 1,170 19.5%
  • Bosses

Votes: 2,450 40.8%
  • Items (Accessories, Weapons, etc.)

Votes: 1,581 26.3%
  • Vanity (furniture, armor sets, etc.)

Votes: 438 7.3%
  • Mineable Stuff (Ores, Blocks, etc.)

Votes: 372 6.2%

• Total voters
You are correct, but I thought this conversation was about the hit counter?

which is exactly why the 3 comments you made before is irrelevant. this isn't a rant about difficulty, this is a rant about the hit counter which is one of the worst ways of artifical difficulty that could be placed in terraria. it's frustrating and not fun. i could really enjoy the fight if i played to not die, but now every bull:red: projectile hit between phase changes while im mid-air etc. leaves me enraged. the perfect example of difficulty is devourer of gods, yharon is a close second. this boss, i almost killed him but im not feeling it, which is disappointing because this is the superboss

edit: i just killed him... yeah

Last edited:
which is exactly why the 3 comments you made before is irrelevant. this isn't a rant about difficulty, this is a rant about the hit counter which is one of the worst ways of artifical difficulty that could be placed in terraria. it's frustrating and not fun. i could really enjoy the fight if i played to not die, but now every bull:red: projectile hit between phase changes while im mid-air etc. leaves me enraged. the perfect example of difficulty is devourer of gods, yharon is a close second. this boss, i almost killed him but im not feeling it, which is disappointing because this is the superboss

Then I refer you back to my original response. If you've almost killed Supreme Calamitas, then you're very close to winning the fight. Continue trying and practicing, I'm absolutely sure you'll be able to succeed.

Then I refer you back to my original response. If you've almost killed Supreme Calamitas, then you're very close to winning the fight. Continue trying and practicing, I'm absolutely sure you'll be able to succeed.

again, im not talking about winning or losing, im talking about how much the hit counter sucks. the fight is frustrating and not fun this way. i just beat him and i felt nothing. it wasn't this way with yharon or DoG. this fight wasn't challenging in a good way, the whole time i was like lets get this :red: over with it.

again, im not talking about winning or losing, im talking about how much the hit counter sucks. the fight is frustrating and not fun this way. i just beat him and i felt nothing. it wasn't this way with yharon or DoG. this fight wasn't challenging in a good way, the whole time i was like lets get this :red: over with it.

When I was going through SCal, the hit counter was responsible for...well, 99% of my deaths, especially after I sort of gave up on my first run (I was doing just calamity), when I got to doing this mod with stuff like Thorium, Fargo's, it was a lot easier in comparison to how it was previously. It still felt accomplishing to finally take down SCal, though, due to the amount of times the boss defeated me, and if they were to have taken out the hit counter, the boss would be far easier, and far less of a challenge, and, in my opinion, far less accomplishing. The boss would essentially take more preparation then skill.

Even though I have technically beaten the boss, I don't really know if I have any right to say that proudly, if at all, especially since I haven't beat the boss with just this, no other major mods.

When I was going through SCal, the hit counter was responsible for...well, 99% of my deaths, especially after I sort of gave up on my first run (I was doing just calamity), when I got to doing this mod with stuff like Thorium, Fargo's, it was a lot easier in comparison to how it was previously. It still felt accomplishing to finally take down SCal, though, due to the amount of times the boss defeated me, and if they were to have taken out the hit counter, the boss would be far easier, and far less of a challenge, and, in my opinion, far less accomplishing. The boss would essentially take more preparation then skill.

Even though I have technically beaten the boss, I don't really know if I have any right to say that proudly, if at all, especially since I haven't beat the boss with just this, no other major mods.

yes i understand, i agree with your points that is why I'm asking for a rework. They could literally slap like a xx% decrease in healing during the fight instead of a hit counter and it would be fine. im asking for a rework not just removing the hit counter as weapons like exoblade would make the fight way too easy. they could also rework the auric tesla set, having 2 invulnerabilities right when you're going to die is insane.

I need help the staff of blushie won't work can someone tell me why and i do have more then 200 mana.

Edit: what does i support calamity do? (i'm new to this i don't know what almost anything does

I need help the staff of blushie won't work can someone tell me why and i do have more then 200 mana.

Edit: what does i support calamity do? (i'm new to this i don't know what almost anything does
The "I support Calamity" is only a banner that brings you to this thread when you click on it.

About the staff... No idea.

A lot of the late game bosses have some questionable design issues.

Plaguebringer Goliath darkening and tinting the screen green can make a lot of his obstacles difficult to see if you summon him underground. Inside your Plantera arena, for example, where the background tiles may also be green. It's kind of yuck, and while it makes the fight harder, it's not harder in a player-friendly way. If I have to change my screen contrast to see something, that's a problem.

Polterghast's late-fight projectiles are a mess. I don't know what's been altered about that with the new version, but the excuse "it's bullet hell" doesn't apply if there's not a pattern and if the player lacks the fine-tune movement to dodge the bullets. They're just everywhere in Death Mode, and while that's supposed to be the hardest it gets, it's kind of lame to force a player to keep a Rod of Discord just to duck out of random bouncing projectiles that happened to form a zone of no escape. It's also very hard to make a snap judgement as to whether you're in such a zone.

Devourer of Gods is super lame once you get down to it. I've nailed down three ways of beating him, and each method is tedious. The easiest is to go vertical. Either dig a deep hole and fall down it, or equip a lot of jumping items and leap into the sky at 150 mph. Attack as DoG follows you. The challenge won't be avoiding DoG, it'll be nudging your character a bit to the left and right to avoid the laser wall. It takes practice but you get used to it, and after that you're just waiting for this massive health sponge to shut up and die. And do mean shut up because he quips at you like a thirteen year-old. I understand DoG is a powerful being, but I've figured out his shtick and I'm not impressed by his whining.

Perhaps it's my fault for not usually approaching DoG in the horizontal fashion he may be intended to be fought, but DoG screws with your movement, so I don't like to play his game. I alter Terraria, I build the arena, I make the rules. If DoG is going to interrupt my run speed or mess with my flight, then we're going to do things in a way that cancels out his advantage. It's basic sense. I don't particularly appreciate him phasing out of existence to drag out the fight, especially after I've already mastered the laser wall, because I'm now I'm just waiting on this oversized worm to realize its been beaten.

Yahron is just Duke Fishron turned up to eleven, and I'm not super fond of Duke Fishron in the first place just because the random teleporting can give him an attack vector you're not in a great position to dodge. Personally I think it's silly for the dragon to talk down to me about my worthiness. You're the one getting destroyed, punk, I should be the one deciding who's worthy. I don't see why killing Mothron for the billionth time proves I'm ready to continue wrecking your dumb face, but okay, I'll humiliate the dragon twice if it wants. Whatever.

Then finally there's Calimitas. The way it's designed kind of invalidates gear progression. Its health is gated off so even if you have a powerful weapon you're stuck jogging through its routines at roughly the same pace. What're you going to do with your Shadowspec gear? Kill Yharon? Doesn't Yharon have a DPS cap? Kill DoG again? Why? I mean he'll start phasing to drag the fight so it's not even fun. That's not even getting into the bullet hell thing, where again, the randomness of the projectiles makes a Rod of Discord important to get through in case you're trapped by bad luck. I also agree that the hit counter is a bit obnoxious. Excuse me for taking my time and relying on my regen but there's random projectiles everywhere and I can't always conveniently fly up to where the next target's at.

I don't really care what bullet hells are normally because Terraria isn't Touhou, it's Terraria. Bosses should be designed to work with Terraria in mind.

That said, it's not like the late bosses need to be easier. Just more interesting, more fair, and sometimes jiving better with the standard gear progression scheme that normal Terraria is all about.

A lot of the late game bosses have some questionable design issues.

Plaguebringer Goliath darkening and tinting the screen green can make a lot of his obstacles difficult to see if you summon him underground. Inside your Plantera arena, for example, where the background tiles may also be green. It's kind of yuck, and while it makes the fight harder, it's not harder in a player-friendly way. If I have to change my screen contrast to see something, that's a problem.

Polterghast's late-fight projectiles are a mess. I don't know what's been altered about that with the new version, but the excuse "it's bullet hell" doesn't apply if there's not a pattern and if the player lacks the fine-tune movement to dodge the bullets. They're just everywhere in Death Mode, and while that's supposed to be the hardest it gets, it's kind of lame to force a player to keep a Rod of Discord just to duck out of random bouncing projectiles that happened to form a zone of no escape. It's also very hard to make a snap judgement as to whether you're in such a zone.

Devourer of Gods is super lame once you get down to it. I've nailed down three ways of beating him, and each method is tedious. The easiest is to go vertical. Either dig a deep hole and fall down it, or equip a lot of jumping items and leap into the sky at 150 mph. Attack as DoG follows you. The challenge won't be avoiding DoG, it'll be nudging your character a bit to the left and right to avoid the laser wall. It takes practice but you get used to it, and after that you're just waiting for this massive health sponge to shut up and die. And do mean shut up because he quips at you like a thirteen year-old. I understand DoG is a powerful being, but I've figured out his shtick and I'm not impressed by his whining.

Perhaps it's my fault for not usually approaching DoG in the horizontal fashion he may be intended to be fought, but DoG screws with your movement, so I don't like to play his game. I alter Terraria, I build the arena, I make the rules. If DoG is going to interrupt my run speed or mess with my flight, then we're going to do things in a way that cancels out his advantage. It's basic sense. I don't particularly appreciate him phasing out of existence to drag out the fight, especially after I've already mastered the laser wall, because I'm now I'm just waiting on this oversized worm to realize its been beaten.

Yahron is just Duke Fishron turned up to eleven, and I'm not super fond of Duke Fishron in the first place just because the random teleporting can give him an attack vector you're not in a great position to dodge. Personally I think it's silly for the dragon to talk down to me about my worthiness. You're the one getting destroyed, punk, I should be the one deciding who's worthy. I don't see why killing Mothron for the billionth time proves I'm ready to continue wrecking your dumb face, but okay, I'll humiliate the dragon twice if it wants. Whatever.

Then finally there's Calimitas. The way it's designed kind of invalidates gear progression. Its health is gated off so even if you have a powerful weapon you're stuck jogging through its routines at roughly the same pace. What're you going to do with your Shadowspec gear? Kill Yharon? Doesn't Yharon have a DPS cap? Kill DoG again? Why? I mean he'll start phasing to drag the fight so it's not even fun. That's not even getting into the bullet hell thing, where again, the randomness of the projectiles makes a Rod of Discord important to get through in case you're trapped by bad luck. I also agree that the hit counter is a bit obnoxious. Excuse me for taking my time and relying on my regen but there's random projectiles everywhere and I can't always conveniently fly up to where the next target's at.

I don't really care what bullet hells are normally because Terraria isn't Touhou, it's Terraria. Bosses should be designed to work with Terraria in mind.

That said, it's not like the late bosses need to be easier. Just more interesting, more fair, and sometimes jiving better with the standard gear progression scheme that normal Terraria is all about.

jeez bosses that make you have to adjust to obstacles in order to push you to your limit total bull:red:
oh and they SAY things how :red:ing absurd that :red:'s just totally uncalled for in every way

No but I do agree with some of these points. I believe that bosses clearly do have flaws, there's no such thing as a perfect game and there's no such thing as a perfect design, even if they are, at least in my opinion, rather well designed. Supreme Calamitas does have issues that do need to be worked out, and the Plaguebringer Goliath forced me to take the fight to above ground, forcing me to make an entire arena dedicated to just one boss I only have the intention of fighting once.

But at the exact same time, these bosses require quick judgement, and adjusting to conditions placed in order to make the fight more challenging on a level that doesn't affect how you play the game a whole, just how you fight the AI of the boss in such applied certain conditions. Tackle these fights as you will, as it is still defeating the boss in a tactic you've developed that is CLEARLY effective as you are still dealing with the things placed in your way in order to create challenge, but these bosses are supposed to enforce an aura of expertise. Dealing with the Devourer's gravitational changes is possible, as people have clearly adapted to the challenge set before them and even mastered the fight, which, based on the videos I have seen, REALLY doesn't force you to change everything about how you play the game. It involves well timed dashes from some, timing your heals and when you take to the skies/drop to the ground, and avoiding the head at all costs.

Polterghast is, yes, very hard when it comes to the last phase. I often compare the fight to Plantera in terms of movement and some of its attacks, but at the exact same time, people do not have to change their entire style of play just to handle this one boss that just so happened to be very hard and challenging in terms of dodging projectiles. Dig out a sizable arena in the Dungeon, expand it if you have to seeing that the Dungeon's walls are sold directly by the Clothier, and just use the Rod of Discord if you have to (which, by the way, is craftable and doesn't take too much effort to craft, anyways. You have to catch five fish, kill a bunch of pixies and get some souls of light, then you have one of the most useful tools in the game for as long as you want to have it.)

I don't understand why you have so much :red: against Yharon, but okay. It's teleporting is quite hard to deal with, but keeping an eye on him and making sure you either have a Rod or an accessory that allows you to dash is a guaranteed effective way of surviving his teleporting. Beyond that, if you can absolutely wreck his health, good for you, but the fight is literally the second-to-final boss of the mod as of the time I am currently typing this post out, so YES, it's going to have something theatrically gripping and is supposed to give you a feeling of suspense. If you don't feel this, that's you. But personally, watching and having fought him at least one time before was a very suspenseful, tense experience for me, and I'm under the impression that the creators of this mod intended for just that. (Beyond that, would you not want to fight Yharon in armour you have a better chance with?)

One thing I will agree with, however, is that Supreme Calamitas is very hard, and the :red: she throws at you is a little unfair. I can agree that the fact she throws bullet hell after bullet hell is a little enraging (not just in a difficulty way, but in terms of the game and its physics not being taken into account.) You cannot stay suspended at all points in time with just a set of wings (some mounts let you, but if you don't have them then how the :red: could you?), and the hit counter adds a layer of difficulty most players will not ever be used to upon reaching it. Although some of my previous comments don't reflect this, I've attempted the fight a little bit more since then, and I am beginning to see the points made against her as of the recent comments. A fix I would suggest is giving her the ability to deal more damage to you, but entirely removing the hit counter as a whole. Then you CAN rely on an endurance round, where regen and healing can be taken advantage of to make sure that the fight can be dealt with as effectively as possible based on whoever's style.

I can agree with a lot of points made, in that certain bosses to have a layer of blatant unfairness to them (Plaguebringer, Supreme Calamitas.) But other than that, the player is expected to not change how they play, or use one single tactic (for most of these) but instead deal with the challenges placed in their path to a degree that allows them to stretch the extent of their skill and knowledge about the game.

i think its time i throw my 10 cents into this.
But at the exact same time, these bosses require quick judgement, and adjusting to conditions placed in order to make the fight more challenging on a level that doesn't affect how you play the game a whole, just how you fight the AI of the boss in such applied certain conditions. Tackle these fights as you will, as it is still defeating the boss in a tactic you've developed that is CLEARLY effective as you are still dealing with the things placed in your way in order to create challenge, but these bosses are supposed to enforce an aura of expertise. Dealing with the Devourer's gravitational changes is possible, as people have clearly adapted to the challenge set before them and even mastered the fight, which, based on the videos I have seen, REALLY doesn't force you to change everything about how you play the game. It involves well timed dashes from some, timing your heals and when you take to the skies/drop to the ground, and avoiding the head at all costs.
fabsol designed the mod to make it so theres no creativity in what weapon(s) or accessories you choose for a boss. you only really choose what weapons are the best of what you can get. and, unlike weapons, there are barely any (viable) accessories that are different than the norm. i do agree with your point of the edgy quotes, though.

Polterghast is, yes, very hard when it comes to the last phase. I often compare the fight to Plantera in terms of movement and some of its attacks, but at the exact same time, people do not have to change their entire style of play just to handle this one boss that just so happened to be very hard and challenging in terms of dodging projectiles. Dig out a sizable arena in the Dungeon, expand it if you have to seeing that the Dungeon's walls are sold directly by the Clothier, and just use the Rod of Discord if you have to (which, by the way, is craftable and doesn't take too much effort to craft, anyways. You have to catch five fish, kill a bunch of pixies and get some souls of light, then you have one of the most useful tools in the game for as long as you want to have it.)
polters original ai was literally just planteras enraged form minus the speed boost, and with different forums and a laser wall that requires rod of discord. most bosses REQUIRE rod, leaving no room for creativity.

I don't understand why you have so much :red: against Yharon, but okay. It's teleporting is quite hard to deal with, but keeping an eye on him and making sure you either have a Rod or an accessory that allows you to dash is a guaranteed effective way of surviving his teleporting. Beyond that, if you can absolutely wreck his health, good for you, but the fight is literally the second-to-final boss of the mod as of the time I am currently typing this post out, so YES, it's going to have something theatrically gripping and is supposed to give you a feeling of suspense. If you don't feel this, that's you. But personally, watching and having fought him at least one time before was a very suspenseful, tense experience for me, and I'm under the impression that the creators of this mod intended for just that. (Beyond that, would you not want to fight Yharon in armour you have a better chance with?)
50% of yharon is duke fishron, and the other 50% is betsy. once again, rod is REQUIRED for this fight, and if you dont use all the required accessories and weapons with the right modifiers, you will die almost instantly.

One thing I will agree with, however, is that Supreme Calamitas is very hard, and the :red: she throws at you is a little unfair. I can agree that the fact she throws bullet hell after bullet hell is a little enraging (not just in a difficulty way, but in terms of the game and its physics not being taken into account.) You cannot stay suspended at all points in time with just a set of wings (some mounts let you, but if you don't have them then how the :red: could you?), and the hit counter adds a layer of difficulty most players will not ever be used to upon reaching it. Although some of my previous comments don't reflect this, I've attempted the fight a little bit more since then, and I am beginning to see the points made against her as of the recent comments. A fix I would suggest is giving her the ability to deal more damage to you, but entirely removing the hit counter as a whole. Then you CAN rely on an endurance round, where regen and healing can be taken advantage of to make sure that the fight can be dealt with as effectively as possible based on whoever's style.
i can agree with most of this, except the keeping of the bullet hell. a complete redesign of the boss would be better in my opinion.

i think its time i throw my 10 cents into this.

fabsol designed the mod to make it so theres no creativity in what weapon(s) or accessories you choose for a boss. you only really choose what weapons are the best of what you can get. and, unlike weapons, there are barely any (viable) accessories that are different than the norm. i do agree with your point of the edgy quotes, though.

polters original ai was literally just planteras enraged form minus the speed boost, and with different forums and a laser wall that requires rod of discord. most bosses REQUIRE rod, leaving no room for creativity.

50% of yharon is duke fishron, and the other 50% is betsy. once again, rod is REQUIRED for this fight, and if you dont use all the required accessories and weapons with the right modifiers, you will die almost instantly.

i can agree with most of this, except the keeping of the bullet hell. a complete redesign of the boss would be better in my opinion.

Never used the rod, solely relied on dashes and grappling hook up until my SCal attempts. Leviathan also disproves the need for either of these in one of his more recent videos on Yharon specifically. I disagree with your points and don't understand why you assume it's entirely required. Maybe in Death Mode.

Also, you're probably right when it comes to the Supreme Calamitas redesign.

Never used the rod, solely relied on dashes and grappling hook up until my SCal attempts. Leviathan also disproves the need for either of these in one of his more recent videos on Yharon specifically. I disagree with your points and don't understand why you assume it's entirely required. Maybe in Death Mode.

Also, you're probably right when it comes to the Supreme Calamitas redesign.
if you dont want to build a massive arena and analyze the bosses code, rod is the only viable option.

it's going to have something theatrically gripping and is supposed to give you a feeling of suspense. If you don't feel this, that's you. But personally, watching and having fought him at least one time before was a very suspenseful, tense experience for me.

1. Defeat boss
  2. Boss says you're not worthy to ACTUALLY defeat him
  3. Put on super-special schmuck hat dragon asked me to wear to prove myself
  4. Kick the dragon's :red: again
  5. "Theater!"
What kinda theaters you going to, son? What plays make the viewer sit through all of act one, intermission, repeat all of act one again, and then proceed to act two? Not any good ones, I'll tell you that. It reads like schoolyard bullying to me, and I'm the bully.

And come on, Supreme Calimitas accusing you of cheating if you beat her on the first try for that log on? Lame. I lost to her for a few runs, took a break, went to the store, tried again, beat her after my break, but because there was no record of additional tries, she accused me of cheating. It's not like her other quips are a whole lot better. These monsters are supposed to be thousands of years old but they don't act older than ten. Small kids have more decorum. She'd be more intimidating and theatrical if she'd shut up.

And the point I'm making is that if you want a cool and challenging boss, a "bullet hell" does not consist of projectiles being thrown all over the place like you sneezed glowing cheerios into your computer monitor. It's usually a pattern, and one that respects the mechanics of the game they're in. If I'd describe the DoG fight as anything, it'd be "Galaga, except sometimes the boss leaves to check on the stove". Because you're falling or rising vertically and shooting projectiles at what is functionally a large Terraria worm with high collision damage. Once you've mastered the laser wall, you're waiting for the boss to stop screwing around so you can get back to wailing on it.

A good boss would involve setting up patterns, projecting attacks so the player knows what's coming, and then mixing up those patterns as the boss proceeds along. If you want a long boss battle, you have to go through the work of creating patterns and unique attacks for each stage of the long fight. You don't have stretches where the boss goes invulnerable or recovers all its health while the player can't interact with the dumb things. Additionally, the projectiles being random means there's an element of luck to the fights when that matters - sometimes you'll get trapped, sometimes you won't, it just depends on where the balls bounce to.

You don't HAVE to use Rod of Discord to beat these bosses, but to get past the luck aspects of some of these designs, it's a good idea and you shouldn't be without it. I personally think that's a design in need of improvement.

if you dont want to build a massive arena and analyze the bosses code, rod is the only viable option.

Didn't analyze code, and just built things with a lot of platforms. Again, I really, REALLY don't understand what the problem there is.

Feel free to use the rod if you want to. Some people aren't skilled in not using the rod, or simply see the rod as the only viable option, as you seem to do. But it isn't REQUIRED that you use ANYTHING beyond the Yharon fight, which requires you wear Silva Armour or above (at least, soon to be above.) Nobody is forcing you to use anything other than certain tiers of weapons, which Terraria already enforces (it's enforced you wear at least chlorophyte-tier armour to fight Plantera and Golem, it's enforced to wear molten/necro/jungle/bee armour, or at least Shadow armour, to fight the wall of flesh).

Yes, Calamity has issues in certain boss mechanics and allowing the player to do certain things, and YES, things are very unfair with certain bosses in ways that are not player-friendly, but nobody's forcing you to use a Rod of Discord. Nobody is forcing you to rely on something you really don't have to go out of your way to get. If this was the case, and the Rod of Discord wasn't directly SUPPLIED to you (either around Moon Lord time, or the drop rate is massively increased, or anything that just lets you have it guaranteed somehow), THEN I'd be getting angry about it.
[doublepost=1529203701,1529203190][/doublepost]
  1. Defeat boss
  2. Boss says you're not worthy to ACTUALLY defeat him
  3. Put on super-special schmuck hat dragon asked me to wear to prove myself
  4. Kick the dragon's :red: again
  5. "Theater!"
What kinda theaters you going to, son? What plays make the viewer sit through all of act one, intermission, repeat all of act one again, and then proceed to act two? Not any good ones, I'll tell you that. It reads like schoolyard bullying to me, and I'm the bully.

And come on, Supreme Calimitas accusing you of cheating if you beat her on the first try for that log on? Lame. I lost to her for a few runs, took a break, went to the store, tried again, beat her after my break, but because there was no record of additional tries, she accused me of cheating. It's not like her other quips are a whole lot better. These monsters are supposed to be thousands of years old but they don't act older than ten. Small kids have more decorum. She'd be more intimidating and theatrical if she'd shut up.

And the point I'm making is that if you want a cool and challenging boss, a "bullet hell" does not consist of projectiles being thrown all over the place like you sneezed glowing cheerios into your computer monitor. It's usually a pattern, and one that respects the mechanics of the game they're in. If I'd describe the DoG fight as anything, it'd be "Galaga, except sometimes the boss leaves to check on the stove". Because you're falling or rising vertically and shooting projectiles at what is functionally a large Terraria worm with high collision damage. Once you've mastered the laser wall, you're waiting for the boss to stop screwing around so you can get back to wailing on it.

A good boss would involve setting up patterns, projecting attacks so the player knows what's coming, and then mixing up those patterns as the boss proceeds along. If you want a long boss battle, you have to go through the work of creating patterns and unique attacks for each stage of the long fight. You don't have stretches where the boss goes invulnerable or recovers all its health while the player can't interact with the dumb things. Additionally, the projectiles being random means there's an element of luck to the fights when that matters - sometimes you'll get trapped, sometimes you won't, it just depends on where the balls bounce to.

You don't HAVE to use Rod of Discord to beat these bosses, but to get past the luck aspects of some of these designs, it's a good idea and you shouldn't be without it. I personally think that's a design in need of improvement.

Okay, I agree with the quips thing. That was something I realized was kind of dumb in retrospect, and I didn't bother putting in an edit as I didn't expect to get directly quoted on that.

I would like to ask, however, what the difference between, say, the Plantera fight (which doesn't necessarily rely on patterns, as it literally just fires seeds and shoots bouncing thorn balls at me in the first phase, and then proceeds to simply pick up speed and move rather erratically (not uncontrollably, just a little less predictably) with tentacles nearly covering half of my screen at any given moment) or the Moon Lord (where once the second phase is active (or at least when you kill one or more of the eyes, spawning the True Eyes), things become incredibly hectic as conflicted patterns overlap heavily and you're forced to deal with, essentially, at least three "bosses" you can't kill or do anything about while desperately flying around and trying to kill the Moon Lord's core) has different than these bosses you're talking about that have "random projectiles" or "lack of patterns?"

(This isn't to bash the original design of Terraria, this is more to ask what is different about the original design compared to the ones you are critiquing.)

The powerful moves that can do a lot of damage generally have a lot more projection. The Moon Lord's laser, for example, will generally charge up for a while, and it starts its firing away from the player. When you get comfortable with the boss, you learn to hop over it. The floating eyes are trickier because they fire similar lasers, but they do a great deal less damage and the floating eyes tend to lag behind a sprinting player, which can make it possible to outrun their laser. If you can't outrun it for some reason, they actually follow a pattern too. I think it's something like cluster attack, then laser. So dodge the clusters of eyes, then prepare to dodge the lasers - the floating eye lasers also spin a bit slower.

It feels chaotic, but it's a fun and well-designed fight because there's a controlled aspect to it all. It's not just projectiles bouncing all over the screen at random.

Plantera is actually a really tough boss for some people, but if you have enough open space I think it's maybe one of the easiest. If it has to chase you it gets erratic, but all you have to do to beat it is fly a circle around it. Plantera will mostly hold in place in both forms because it can't turn faster than you can circle it. The bouncing balls it drops would be a real problem if you couldn't build an arena high enough to ignore them. Polterghast, meanwhile, doesn't allow its bouncing projectiles to leave the screen, so they're just everywhere at all times.

The amount of damage projectiles do is also a factor, and if you consider something like Death Mode which raises contact damage and the degree of projectile spam, you get into a situation where there's very little margin for error, and a pretty high chance you'll get in an inescapable situation anyway due to random chance.

Didn't analyze code, and just built things with a lot of platforms. Again, I really, REALLY don't understand what the problem there is.

Feel free to use the rod if you want to. Some people aren't skilled in not using the rod, or simply see the rod as the only viable option, as you seem to do. But it isn't REQUIRED that you use ANYTHING beyond the Yharon fight, which requires you wear Silva Armour or above (at least, soon to be above.) Nobody is forcing you to use anything other than certain tiers of weapons, which Terraria already enforces (it's enforced you wear at least chlorophyte-tier armour to fight Plantera and Golem, it's enforced to wear molten/necro/jungle/bee armour, or at least Shadow armour, to fight the wall of flesh).

Yes, Calamity has issues in certain boss mechanics and allowing the player to do certain things, and YES, things are very unfair with certain bosses in ways that are not player-friendly, but nobody's forcing you to use a Rod of Discord. Nobody is forcing you to rely on something you really don't have to go out of your way to get. If this was the case, and the Rod of Discord wasn't directly SUPPLIED to you (either around Moon Lord time, or the drop rate is massively increased, or anything that just lets you have it guaranteed somehow), THEN I'd be getting angry about it.
name me some accessories that are viable against scal thats different than the norm of sponge, the designated class accessory, ect, or a weapon that does actual damage against yharon that isnt sea dragon or whatever the kids use nowadays against him.

EDIT: didnt notice the double post but the guy above showed the difference quite clearly

name me some accessories that are viable against scal thats different than the norm of sponge, the designated class accessory, ect, or a weapon that does actual damage against yharon that isnt sea dragon or whatever the kids use nowadays against him.

The flesh totem is good for SCal. I'd say the Bloodflare Pact is rather good too, at least for SCal, seeing that you have double your HP. Critical hits are a :red:, but you have a 75% chance to not take them, and if you can heal up enough/rely on regen long enough, you'll just be able to take more hits in terms of direct damage. (None of these are referring to the hit counter. That's an inevitability that you cannot do anything about. Nothing will ever change the value of the hit counter. I'm talking about sheer damage.)

The Worm Scarf is also useful, and by extension the Bloody Worm Scarf and the Core of the Blood God. Essentially I'd rely on Ravager drops quite a lot for the SCal fight, and similarly for the Yharon fight as well.

I'm not entirely sure what the "sea dragon" you're referring to is, but I personally prefered using the Empyrean knives in the rematch fight with Silva Armour, in terms of melee. Phantasmal Fury and Rouge Slash were fun to use as well, but I mostly do magic, so I don't know much about other class weapons.
[doublepost=1529205608,1529205170][/doublepost]
The powerful moves that can do a lot of damage generally have a lot more projection. The Moon Lord's laser, for example, will generally charge up for a while, and it starts its firing away from the player. When you get comfortable with the boss, you learn to hop over it. The floating eyes are trickier because they fire similar lasers, but they do a great deal less damage and the floating eyes tend to lag behind a sprinting player, which can make it possible to outrun their laser. If you can't outrun it for some reason, they actually follow a pattern too. I think it's something like cluster attack, then laser. So dodge the clusters of eyes, then prepare to dodge the lasers - the floating eye lasers also spin a bit slower.

It feels chaotic, but it's a fun and well-designed fight because there's a controlled aspect to it all. It's not just projectiles bouncing all over the screen at random.

Plantera is actually a really tough boss for some people, but if you have enough open space I think it's maybe one of the easiest. If it has to chase you it gets erratic, but all you have to do to beat it is fly a circle around it. Plantera will mostly hold in place in both forms because it can't turn faster than you can circle it. The bouncing balls it drops would be a real problem if you couldn't build an arena high enough to ignore them. Polterghast, meanwhile, doesn't allow its bouncing projectiles to leave the screen, so they're just everywhere at all times.

The amount of damage projectiles do is also a factor, and if you consider something like Death Mode which raises contact damage and the degree of projectile spam, you get into a situation where there's very little margin for error, and a pretty high chance you'll get in an inescapable situation anyway due to random chance.

I see your points, and I'm very happy you gave me a well thought out, dignified response rather than just screaming. Personally, I tend to have a little trouble with Plantera; typically my tactic is I try to get enough gear and buffs on me to shred her before things get too crazy for me to handle.

The Moon Lord... I never really spent time to analyze the patterns. Watching Yrimir's fight against it in Expert Mode again, however, I can pick up on a lot of predictability at points. Even though I still feel like the True Eyes are still a little hard to deal with, as I'm often caught in situations in which they're off-screen, and two (or in unlucky situations, all three of them) use their beam at the same time, I can understand how they have an aura of predictable patterns to them, and I think with enough practice, I'd be able to deal with the fight more effectively, despite their onslaughts.

Overall, I agree with you now that I've seen your side in an explained sense. Thank you very much for a clear, thought out response!

The flesh totem is good for SCal. I'd say the Bloodflare Pact is rather good too, at least for SCal, seeing that you have double your HP. Critical hits are a :red:, but you have a 75% chance to not take them, and if you can heal up enough/rely on regen long enough, you'll just be able to take more hits in terms of direct damage. (None of these are referring to the hit counter. That's an inevitability that you cannot do anything about. Nothing will ever change the value of the hit counter. I'm talking about sheer damage.)

The Worm Scarf is also useful, and by extension the Bloody Worm Scarf and the Core of the Blood God. Essentially I'd rely on Ravager drops quite a lot for the SCal fight, and similarly for the Yharon fight as well.

I'm not entirely sure what the "sea dragon" you're referring to is, but I personally prefered using the Empyrean knives in the rematch fight with Silva Armour, in terms of melee. Phantasmal Fury and Rouge Slash were fun to use as well, but I mostly do magic, so I don't know much about other class weapons.
should have said that better.
ima just re-ask that question so it can be understood better.
what is the verity in accessories for scal?

also, sea dragon is this
https://calamitymod.gamepedia.com/Seadragon

should have said that better.
ima just re-ask that question so it can be understood better.
what is the verity in accessories for scal?

also, sea dragon is this
https://calamitymod.gamepedia.com/Seadragon

Variety is truly up to to the player. Those are my personal choices in accessories, and although the Sponge is a pretty good one, I never really go through the trouble of making it.

I've used the Asgardian Aegis, Affliction, Core of the Blood God, Celestial Tracers, Astral Arcanum, Counter Scarf (because dodging is just something I can't live without), and Draedon's Heart (I typically never not use that when I have it, I could probably use something else. Might've been a poor decision on my part.)

You really don't have a restriction on accessories. I don't know if what I'm using is proving or disproving your point, but that's what I personally use. I don't typically see anyone relying on a single trend on accessories when it comes to SCal, if they are then I'm going to hope I'm not exactly following it.

Back
Top Bottom