Official Terraria 1.3 Status Update: Mobile & Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings, Terrarians!

We know you have been anxious to see some progress on the 1.3 update for Terraria on mobile devices. Both Re-Logic and Pipeworks have also been excited to share some pre-production work that has been completed! This work focuses on the specific features and changes that are required for the Mobile version above and beyond the core codebase.

This small teaser showcases some of what users might expect to see on their mobile devices when the update comes out. This also gives us a chance to show you a little peek into the development process to those who are curious. Note that this is only intended to be sample image and is still very much “work in progress”.

View attachment 202151

This is a first-pass mockup of the new mobile UI. As you can see, the layout is similar to the PC and console versions, with some alterations to make it fit the mobile screen space. After several rounds of feedback, we have made and continue to work on polish with the User Interface. Primarily, we have tweaked a few things in the UI to be less cluttered; the icons on the left side now have a uniform background, and the menu icons on the bottom of the screen no longer have backgrounds taking up space. This is still very much work in progress, and we expect a few more tweaks to this sample image before it is finalized (with similar work going on at the same time for other parts of the UI).

We also wanted to take this opportunity to update you on our current plans since the original forum post from when we took over console & mobile development of Terraria is no longer accurate.

We’ve been working with both 505 Games & Re-Logic on updated priorities after the console launch. This includes fixing a list of bugs that are still present in the console versions and moving full-speed ahead with Switch development. Mobile development has been focused on UI design and codebase refinement thus far.

In terms of launch order and timing, the nature of game development makes this very hard to predict. Our current expectation is that the Nintendo Switch version of Terraria will launch first, with the mobile update coming out after the Switch version is completed. We are discussing ways to accelerate both paths as well. Currently, we don’t have a timeline on that, but as soon as we have more information we will make sure to share it with you guys.

We want to thank everyone for their patience and support.

The Terraria Team
I know Ocram will have legacy items, but what about Lepus and Turkor the Ungrateful?

I'm pretty sure that's why it's taken so long; better to have a late, finished product that to have a broken, early product!
Amen to that!
Good things happen to those who wait.
I would say its taking some time to update but the developers are taking into account to fix some issues the current version of mobile terraria has. I haven't had many myself but other people do.

that crafting hud is pretty BIG SECKSEE YOS, i love it big thumbs up.
IMG_3274.JPG

Amen to that!
Good things happen to those who wait.
I would say its taking some time to update but the developers are taking into account to fix some issues the current version of mobile terraria has. I haven't had many myself but other people do.
I also use the same mentality with some mods I'm planning on getting once I get my hands on Steam Version!

are you saying that mobile and switch 1.3 will be mobile and switch 1.3.5?

Those are placeholder images. From what Loki said earlier in the Thread, they shouldn't be read into too much. The Mobile and Switch versions of Terraria will release with the 1.3 version of Terraria. After all of the platforms (Xbox One, PS4, Switch, and Mobile) have 1.3. Work will happen to bring the 1.3.x versions to those platforms.

I'm excited about Terraria in switch. I dont own one yet but i understand they take advantage of bluetooth or NFC for multiplayer games to connect even wireless. I wonder how is it going to work with Terraria on the nintendo switch. As it is right now on mobile, to use the multiplayer up to 4 players have to be in the same wifi server. You can activate the hotspot in your phone and use it as a local server. But it would be awesome if your friends also have switches with Terraria to get together (somewhere) and play 4 people in the same game.

Those are placeholder images. From what Loki said earlier in the Thread, they shouldn't be read into too much. The Mobile and Switch versions of Terraria will release with the 1.3 version of Terraria. After all of the platforms (Xbox One, PS4, Switch, and Mobile) have 1.3. Work will happen to bring the 1.3.x versions to those platforms.
Ok; thanks for the helpful reminder

This is AWESOME! Now all we- or well, I- just have to wait and see what requirements our devices need! I just hope we won't those new iOS versions *cough* 11.0 *cough*

I think it could run it considering the old mobile devices that ran it.
I expect that a lot of mobile devices that can currently run Terraria will not be able to run the 1.3 release. You have to understand that the current mobile implementation of Terraria is a completely different engine that does not process the game all at once like the PC version does.

I expect that a lot of mobile devices that can currently run Terraria will not be able to run the 1.3 release. You have to understand that the current mobile implementation of Terraria is a completely different engine that does not process the game all at once like the PC version does.
Proto, my phone is a galaxy s7. Its old in today's standard, but will it run it? What will happen to those phones that can't play the update? Can we still use the current version?

Proto, my phone is a galaxy s7. Its old in today's standard, but will it run it? What will happen to those phones that can't play the update? Can we still use the current version?
I'm not a developer, so I can't answer those questions. I kinda doubt the decisions have even been made yet based on my conversation with Loki.

The minimum specs for Terraria on PC are a 2 GHz processor and 2.5 GB of RAM. I'm not expecting Terraria 1.3 on mobile to require that much hardware, but if your device is nowhere near those numbers I'd be looking into the possibility of an upgrade just in case. Looking at your phone specs though a Galaxy s7 is probably safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom