Sprites Yuyu's Minibiomes: The Hero's Crypt

Yuyutsu

Dungeon Spirit
Welcome, welcome. Yuyutsu here, and allow me to tell you a tale about heroes of the old times. Welcome to another one of:
kdcROYP.png

Yuyu's Minibiomes

I'm back with another Underground microstructure, guys! Now, if you've seen my other suggestions, you know that I like Underground minibiomes/microstructures. If you haven't seen my prior suggestions, though, here's a brief explanation as to why.
ice_screenshot_20180614-170701.png
The Underground/Cavern layer are filled with more of the same: water, cabins, and stone. It gets monotnous and boring to make multiple trips. There's so much room for expansion! Furthermore, I feel that more graves and spirits are a fitting theme for the Underground, though I may be a little bit biased. Continuing on the theme of death and spirits from my last suggestion, I present to you:

New Piskel (25) (1).png
The Hero's Crypt
202775-5b63c653e9e3cf117f12ebccf9dfb487.png

divider.png

Structure
The Hero's Crypt is a somewhat circular pit found in the Cavern layer of the world. The pit is ringed with Bone Block Walls, and platforms of Bone Blocks around the pit hold both regular Gravestones and Ethereal Graves (see below). Multiple Offering Pots are available to break.
Ethereal Graves cannot be broken, however, until Skeletron has been defeated and the undead are restless.
The Hero's Crypt is far rarer than an Underground Cabin, but multiple are scattered throughout the world. Also, big news! This microstructure is not based on a Starbound one in any way! Baby steps, guys. The Hero's Crypt is meant to be an aside to the player's journey to the underworld after defeating Skeletron. Let's check out what tiles can be found here at the Hero's Crypt.

sprite_5 (2).png

Offering Pots

Similar to Vanilla Pots. Break when hit.
Loot:
Amethyst.png
Topaz.png
Amber.png
Ruby.png
Emerald.png
Sapphire.png
Diamond.png
Any Gem
Bone.png
Bone (Post Skeletron)
Ancient_Gold_Helmet.png
Ancient_Iron_Helmet.png
Ancient Gold/Iron Helmets (rare)
Vanilla Pot Loot

Breaking Offering Pots may spawn (25%) the following:
New Piskel (29) (1) (7) (2).png
Ethereal Wisp

New Piskel (25) (1).png

Ethereal Graves

Breaking Ethereal Graves will (100%) spawn one of the following:
New Piskel (25) (2).png
Ethereal Slime
New Piskel (29) (1).png
Ethereal Champion
New Piskel (29) (1) (7) (1).png
Ethereal Shaman

and may spawn (25%) the following:
Ethereal Wisp

Breaking all Ethereal Graves in a Hero's Crypt will spawn the following:

Bone_Pile_Icon (10).png
Berserker

divider.png

Function
While in the Hero's Crypt, the player receives the 'Calm' buff, reducing enemy spawns. Destroying all Ethereal Graves destroys this effect. The Crypt is not meant to be threatening, unless you disturb the graves of the fallen.

divider.png

NPCs
The Hero's Crypt adds 4 new Enemies (1 Miniboss), and 1 new Critter. None spawn naturally.
New Piskel (29) (1).png

Ethereal Champion
80 HP / 37 Damage / 2 Defense / High KB resist
Semi-transparent. Floats slowly towards the player, but occasionally charges swiftly in a straight, horizontal line (think Queen Bee). Can spawn when an Ethereal Grave is broken.
Drops:
sprite_1.png
Champion's Helm- 10%
sprite_2.png
Champion's Bulwark - 5%

New Piskel (29) (1) (7) (1).png

Ethereal Shaman
94 HP / 30 Damage / 0 Defense / High KB resist
Semi-transparent. Attempts to revolve around the player, shooting bouncing bolts of blue energy. Can spawn when an Ethereal Grave is broken.
Drops:
sprite_0.png
Elderwizard Staff- 10%

New Piskel (25) (2).png

Ethereal Slime
60 HP / 27 Damage / 4 Defense / Medium KB resist
Occasionally becomes semi-transparent and invulnerable for 2 seconds. Slime AI. Can spawn when an Ethereal Grave is broken.
Drops:
Gel.png
Gel- 1-2

Bone_Pile_Icon (10).png

Berserker
700 HP / 40 Damage / 12 Defense / 100% KB resist
Miniboss. Aggressively flies around the player for 10 seconds, charging left and right. Then, stands still for 5 seconds, shooting out lingering red bolts that hang in the air for a short while.
Drops:
sprite_3.png
Beserker's Blade- 50%
sprite_4.png
Horns of the Beserker- 50%
Bone.png
Bone- 5-7

Ethereal Wisp
5 HP / 0 Damage / 0 Defesne
Floats around, and emits a blue glow. Can be caught and sold for 20
SilverCoin.gif
, or can be turned into its own cage.

divider.png

Items
The following items are drops from enemies in the Hero's Crypt.

sprite_1.png
sprite_2.png
sprite_0.png

Enemy Drops:

Champion's Helm
2 Defense. When worn, the player emits a blue glow, even in the vanity slot.

Champion's Bulwark
2 Defense. Double tap the down key to immobilize the player, but increase life regeneration, Defense by 10, and immunity frames. 5 second duration, 3 minute cooldown.

Elderwizard Staff
24 Magic Damage / 8 Mana / 2 Knockback / 4% Crit Chance
Shoots out two bouncing bolts that bounce upon hitting enemies or tiles.

sprite_3.png
sprite_4.png

Beserker Drops:

Beserker Blade
Right-click to dash through multiple enemies. Swinging the blade may release a red bolt (rarely) that lingers in the air.

Horns of the Beserker
Double tap the down key to increase Movement Speed and Damage by 20%, but reduce Defense by 5 and life regen. 10 second duration, 2.5 minute cooldown.

divider.png

Mockup
As always, here's a mockup of the Hero's Crypt, using building and coding.
ice_screenshot_20180615-175934.png

Wow, that was larger than I expected. Oh well :p

divider.png

And that concludes today's suggestion! I hope you enjoyed this one! This is my third minibiome suggestion in three days, and I'm far from done! Expect more soon :) But, as usual, questions? Comments? Concerns? Thank you guys for reading!

Last edited:
Still awesome suggestions, I’ve definitely wanna see some good cavern pit to make it calm and scary but quite enjoyable for some reason. But still, an good suggestion as always :)

I'll suggest/add a Boss that can be summoned also in the Crypt:

Cries of the fallen ones roar louder.

The Fallen Terrarian

[can be summoned using Divination Bones item in The Heroes' Crypt]
AI: The Fallen Terrarian AI/Legion AI
Max Health: 30000/50000[Expert] (20000/30000[Ex][Stage 1], 10000/20000[Ex][Stage 2])
Damage [in 0 Armor]:
50/100[Ex] (Contact)
100/200[Ex] (Magic)
150/170[Ex] (Ranged)
200/300[Ex] (Melee)
Defense: 200

Phases:
The Fallen Champion has two stages and five phases of attack in stage 1 only:
[Stage 1]
1. Fighter Phase - rushes to your character to damage you. 25%/50%[Ex] chance of displacement and reappears at the back of your character.
2. Melee Phase - unleashes a giant sword which is dodgeable but deals heavy/fatal damage when hits. Also inflicts Bleeding debuff by 15%/25%[Ex]
3. Magic Phase - fires some waterbolt projectiles that deals moderate/heavy damage and inflicts Slowed debuff (100%).
4. Ranged Phase - fires Phantasm-like projectiles that deals heavy damage and inflicts Broken Armor/Withered Armor[Ex] (25%[both difficulty]).
5. Summoning Phase - summons 2/4[Ex] Ethereal Champions in-between phase changes. Spawns up to 10/20.

After hitting to pulp, the shell of the champion sheds, signalling for the second phase:

Legion

[Stage 2]

Destroying his summoned (if any) Ethereal Champions, he will fuse souls to himself.
Legion will emerge, changing from his Terrarian shell to his more grotesque design. Hitting him will summon Ethereal Wisps and, occasionally, Dungeon Spirits [Only if summoned Post-Plantera], to disrupt your attacks. Hitting him will also make him smaller, like King Slime. But as he will became smaller, his true form will be like Skeletron covered with thick Ectoplasm.

Killing him will drop the following:
- Soul of Blight [Exchanging Ocram into more useful one] ??-??
- Ectoplasm 20-50 [only after Plantera is killed]
- Dullahan's Blade [Melee Weapon]
- Tribow [Ranged Weapon]
- The Unnamed Staff [Magic Weapon]
- Legionnaire [Summoning Weapon]
- Cursed Armor Shards [item, used in crafting Bloody Armor [Crimson HM Upgrade of Crimtane Armor], Dark Armor [Corruption HM Upgrade of Demonite Armor] and Paladin's Armor [Hallowed Hardmode Upgrade of Hallowed Armor], obtainable in Hardmode only]
- Dried Rose [Summons Dullahan Pet]
- The Fallen Terrarian Trophy [depicts his Helm full of Ectoplasm]
- The Fallen Terrarian Treasure Bag [Expert Mode exclusive]
- Revengeance [Expert Mode Accessory] - summons friendly Ethereal Champions to fight for you if hit. Greatly increases minion count (+2) but greatly decreases Armor (-10). Ethereal Champions expire after 2min

that's all I suggest, I hope this will be implemented.

I'll suggest/add a Boss that can be summoned also in the Crypt:

Cries of the fallen ones roar louder.

The Fallen Terrarian

[can be summoned using Divination Bones item in The Heroes' Crypt]
AI: The Fallen Terrarian AI/Legion AI
Max Health: 30000/50000[Expert] (20000/30000[Ex][Stage 1], 10000/20000[Ex][Stage 2])
Damage [in 0 Armor]:
50/100[Ex] (Contact)
100/200[Ex] (Magic)
150/170[Ex] (Ranged)
200/300[Ex] (Melee)
Defense: 200

Phases:
The Fallen Champion has two stages and five phases of attack in stage 1 only:
[Stage 1]
1. Fighter Phase - rushes to your character to damage you. 25%/50%[Ex] chance of displacement and reappears at the back of your character.
2. Melee Phase - unleashes a giant sword which is dodgeable but deals heavy/fatal damage when hits. Also inflicts Bleeding debuff by 15%/25%[Ex]
3. Magic Phase - fires some waterbolt projectiles that deals moderate/heavy damage and inflicts Slowed debuff (100%).
4. Ranged Phase - fires Phantasm-like projectiles that deals heavy damage and inflicts Broken Armor/Withered Armor[Ex] (25%[both difficulty]).
5. Summoning Phase - summons 2/4[Ex] Ethereal Champions in-between phase changes. Spawns up to 10/20.

After hitting to pulp, the shell of the champion sheds, signalling for the second phase:

Legion

[Stage 2]

Destroying his summoned (if any) Ethereal Champions, he will fuse souls to himself.
Legion will emerge, changing from his Terrarian shell to his more grotesque design. Hitting him will summon Ethereal Wisps and, occasionally, Dungeon Spirits [Only if summoned Post-Plantera], to disrupt your attacks. Hitting him will also make him smaller, like King Slime. But as he will became smaller, his true form will be like Skeletron covered with thick Ectoplasm.

Killing him will drop the following:
- Soul of Blight [Exchanging Ocram into more useful one] ??-??
- Ectoplasm 20-50 [only after Plantera is killed]
- Dullahan's Blade [Melee Weapon]
- Tribow [Ranged Weapon]
- The Unnamed Staff [Magic Weapon]
- Legionnaire [Summoning Weapon]
- Cursed Armor Shards [item, used in crafting Bloody Armor [Crimson HM Upgrade of Crimtane Armor], Dark Armor [Corruption HM Upgrade of Demonite Armor] and Paladin's Armor [Hallowed Hardmode Upgrade of Hallowed Armor], obtainable in Hardmode only]
- Dried Rose [Summons Dullahan Pet]
- The Fallen Terrarian Trophy [depicts his Helm full of Ectoplasm]
- The Fallen Terrarian Treasure Bag [Expert Mode exclusive]
- Revengeance [Expert Mode Accessory] - summons friendly Ethereal Champions to fight for you if hit. Greatly increases minion count (+2) but greatly decreases Armor (-10). Ethereal Champions expire after 2min

that's all I suggest, I hope this will be implemented.
Nice suggestion! However, I don't think a minibiome needs its own boss. It's just here to spice up the world, and shouldn't be a necessity during a playthrough, but rather, a nice addon.

The Underground/Cavern layer are filled with more of the same: water, cabins, and stone.
The Underground/Cavern makes up about two-thirds of the world, yet all of the interesting stuff is on the surface. So I'm always up for more variety underground.

I know it's just a mock-up, but the image doesn't feel very much like a crypt or even a graveyard. (It kind of looks like a lot of players died in a mushroom biome. :))
If you're going for an open-air graveyard, there should probably be more dirt (where the corpses would be buried) and fewer levels. It'd be wider than it is tall - at least as big as Granite/Marble mini-biomes. Perhaps a couple of gold chests buried underground. Add some breakables like extinguished campfires and bone piles to add to the flavour of the area. Consider some kind of light purple grass that can 'grow' new graves, like Jungle grass can grow Plantera bulbs. This makes the graves renewable. Some Spooky Wood trees devoid of leaves can also be present. (Since there are no Spooky Wood trees, this would be a new tree type.) To finish off, some green, blue or purple torches (perhaps even Obsidian or Cursed torches) would round off the spiritual feeling.

Alternatively, you could consider a mausoleum and replace the graves with tombs and coffins. They would make more sense to be stacked in multiple levels. Add pots and other offerrings to the dead. This could be a large structure, sort of like the Lihzahrd Temple. Some torches to light the way and some vengeful spirits to guard the tombs. The Hero's tomb can be more elegant, placed in a room with a special design.

I hope that gives some inspiration!

Enemies: they look good! Can any/all of the enemies travel through walls?
Items: I like the idea of obtaining Ancient items from this area. That feels fitting. I'm iffy about the Bone Sword though - not sure if that really fits in with the theme.

Overall, I quite like the idea!

The Underground/Cavern makes up about two-thirds of the world, yet all of the interesting stuff is on the surface. So I'm always up for more variety underground.

I know it's just a mock-up, but the image doesn't feel very much like a crypt or even a graveyard. (It kind of looks like a lot of players died in a mushroom biome. :))
If you're going for an open-air graveyard, there should probably be more dirt (where the corpses would be buried) and fewer levels. It'd be wider than it is tall - at least as big as Granite/Marble mini-biomes. Perhaps a couple of gold chests buried underground. Add some breakables like extinguished campfires and bone piles to add to the flavour of the area. Consider some kind of light purple grass that can 'grow' new graves, like Jungle grass can grow Plantera bulbs. This makes the graves renewable. Some Spooky Wood trees devoid of leaves can also be present. (Since there are no Spooky Wood trees, this would be a new tree type.) To finish off, some green, blue or purple torches (perhaps even Obsidian or Cursed torches) would round off the spiritual feeling.

Alternatively, you could consider a mausoleum and replace the graves with tombs and coffins. They would make more sense to be stacked in multiple levels. Add pots and other offerrings to the dead. This could be a large structure, sort of like the Lihzahrd Temple. Some torches to light the way and some vengeful spirits to guard the tombs. The Hero's tomb can be more elegant, placed in a room with a special design.

I hope that gives some inspiration!

Enemies: they look good! Can any/all of the enemies travel through walls?
Items: I like the idea of obtaining Ancient items from this area. That feels fitting. I'm iffy about the Bone Sword though - not sure if that really fits in with the theme.

Overall, I quite like the idea!
Thank you! I guess the theme is more along a mass-grave. I tried to make this more of a 'microstructure' than a biome, so I err on the side of not making it renewable/ making it larger than it should be. I do see what you mean, though.

Yes, all enemies can travel through walls, barring the Ethereal Slime. And, as for the Bone Sword, on hindsight, I see what you mean. Consider it removed. Once again, thanks for the feedback!

Thank you! I guess the theme is more along a mass-grave. I tried to make this more of a 'microstructure' than a biome, so I err on the side of not making it renewable/ making it larger than it should be. I do see what you mean, though.
Thinking about it some more, I've realised what was bugging me. There is too much content for a 'micro' biome like a Living Tree, Granite or Marble. The number of enemies, items and a critter make this more akin to a 'mini' biome like the Mushrooms, Ocean or Temple. The Hero's Crypt doesn't need new music, new background, fishing quests, and so on. But I do think it should be renewable, to give a player the opportunity to farm the new items and enemies.

Honestly, this is your best idea yet, A rarity that you could choose to leave alone or face the consequences.

And you also fell into the red ghost>blue ghost trap that so many fall into

Still great though!

Back
Top Bottom