tModLoader Calamity Mod

What would you like me to create more of?

• NPCs (enemies, house NPCs, etc.)

Votes: 1,170 19.5%
  • Bosses

Votes: 2,449 40.8%
  • Items (Accessories, Weapons, etc.)

Votes: 1,580 26.3%
  • Vanity (furniture, armor sets, etc.)

Votes: 437 7.3%
  • Mineable Stuff (Ores, Blocks, etc.)

Votes: 372 6.2%

• Total voters
Variety is truly up to to the player. Those are my personal choices in accessories, and although the Sponge is a pretty good one, I never really go through the trouble of making it.

I've used the Asgardian Aegis, Affliction, Core of the Blood God, Celestial Tracers, Astral Arcanum, Counter Scarf (because dodging is just something I can't live without), and Draedon's Heart (I typically never not use that when I have it, I could probably use something else. Might've been a poor decision on my part.)

You really don't have a restriction on accessories. I don't know if what I'm using is proving or disproving your point, but that's what I personally use. I don't typically see anyone relying on a single trend on accessories when it comes to SCal, if they are then I'm going to hope I'm not exactly following it.
there are almost no other accessories besides those post scal.

there are almost no other accessories besides those post scal.

Rampart of Deities, Siren's Heart, Statis' Belt of Curses, The Community, Heart of the Elements, Ethereal Talisman, Elemental Gauntlet, The Amalgam, Yharim's Gift, Nebulous Core, Elemental Quiver...

Rampart of Deities, Siren's Heart, Statis' Belt of Curses, The Community, Heart of the Elements, Ethereal Talisman, Elemental Gauntlet, The Amalgam, Yharim's Gift, Nebulous Core, Elemental Quiver...
noone would be dumb enough to use the community, hote, the amalgam, or nebulous core post yharon

about the others, thats pretty much where the list ends. the others are non-viable for any post ml boss.

noone would be dumb enough to use the community, hote, the amalgam, or nebulous core post yharon

about the others, thats pretty much where the list ends. the others are non-viable for any post ml boss.

Yeah okay sure.

You've deducted 4 accessories from my list of 11. Combined with the 7 I listed before, this stacks up to 14 accessories you can pick and choose from out of those listed. Including the Sponge, this is 15. While there isn't a lot, compared to Terraria's typical variety, take into account that this is literally the most end-game you can currently get at this point in the Calamity mod. This is the part in the mod in which choices begin to narrow themselves down, and while there are still separate ways to play, things do tend to become less various in many games in terms of certain things near end game.

However, you can take whatever combination of accessories you absolutely want to. There's no defined way to play this game, or fight any boss in this mod. You're entirely allowed to pick and choose whatever you'd like to play with, and suite how you use them to whatever works for you in favour of defeating the boss.

And lord, let's not take into account the fact you can choose from 5 different classes now to fight this boss. There's absolutely no variety whatsoever, there's truly only one way you can ever fight Supreme Calamitas, or Yharon, or anything after it, clearly.

Yeah okay sure.

You've deducted 4 accessories from my list of 11. Combined with the 7 I listed before, this stacks up to 14 accessories you can pick and choose from out of those listed. Including the Sponge, this is 15. While there isn't a lot, compared to Terraria's typical variety, take into account that this is literally the most end-game you can currently get at this point in the Calamity mod. This is the part in the mod in which choices begin to narrow themselves down, and while there are still separate ways to play, things do tend to become less various in many games in terms of certain things near end game.

However, you can take whatever combination of accessories you absolutely want to. There's no defined way to play this game, or fight any boss in this mod. You're entirely allowed to pick and choose whatever you'd like to play with, and suite how you use them to whatever works for you in favour of defeating the boss.

And lord, let's not take into account the fact you can choose from 5 different classes now to fight this boss. There's absolutely no variety whatsoever, there's truly only one way you can ever fight Supreme Calamitas, or Yharon, or anything after it, clearly.
each class has 1 accepted weapon that actually does good damage against scal. and the cap for accessories was 7 (maybe 8?), making there only 2 sets of accessory slots to actually use for verity. plus, the strategy for every boss is the exact same boring slog.

each class has 1 accepted weapon that actually does good damage against scal. and the cap for accessories was 7 (maybe 8?), making there only 2 sets of accessory slots to actually use for verity. plus, the strategy for every boss is the exact same boring slog.

You can't switch and interchange accessories at all?

Also, in terms of Auric tier alone, Melee has 2, Ranged has 2, Magic has 2, Summoner has 1 (that one's fair), and the Celestus can be used by any class, as it's classless.

On the subject of strategies... tell me there isn't a single boss in all of Terraria, mod or not, that has no reliance on a single kind of strategy used in order to best deal with it. Literally no boss in the entire game has a single, generalistically widely-used strategy in the ENTIRE game.

Eye of Cthulhu: run in a straight line. Dashes will never hit you, especially in Expert.

Eater of Worlds: use a melee/piercing/exploding weapon. In Expert, try to avoid staying still when it shoots vile spit.

Brain of Cthulhu: watch for it's teleports, and stay away from large clusters of Creepers. In Expert, it genuinely isn't that different, as only one brain has a health bar.

Skeletron: Big platform is preferable. Run back and forth, and jump over hands. In Expert, don't stay at one point of elevation in order to dodge skulls when he starts shooting them.

Queen Bee: several layers of platforms is best. Switch between them when she dashes. Get an exploding or melee weapon in order to deal with bees. spike balls also work to place on platforms to trick her into taking damage with each dash.

Wall of Flesh: big block platform across all of the underworld. run and shoot.

You see my point here, surely. But at the exact same time, you don't really have to do these things.

I've fought the wall before without a bridge. I've almost entirely abandoned the platform arena with Queen Bee, only using them to support like, heart lamps and campfires. With the Eye of Cthulhu, I tend to try and stay in one area so that it becomes a little more challenging... I don't like the fight with that one general method, it gets boring, as you say.

There are other examples of bosses that have been fought in ways people don't USUALLY do. Take Yrimir's Expert Moon Lord fight (at least the first one, I do not know if he's done it again.) He, instead of doing what a lot of people do end up doing for that fight, which is fighting the boss by only flying around and using the Rod or fast wings for the phantasmal laser, opted for staying on the ground for almost the entire first phase, using a small setup with a shield of blocks to avoid damage from the laser entirely. On Phase 2, he tries to outpace the eyes.

And in terms of Calamity bosses, take Leviathan's challenge with the Devourer of Gods, Cosmic Kunai only:

The tactics he uses here aren't tactics you can't use with other classes, with other weapons. I'd go as far to say that you can use these unconventional methods to deal even more damage to it than if you did some other way.

There is no one true way to deal with any boss in Terraria, or the rest of the game. I've utilized the methods Leviathan uses against the Devourer in my own fights, and it'd proven itself to be rather effective. Not only that, but it's made the fight much more thrilling and fun, as I have to dedicate a rather large amount of concentration in getting it right.

You can't switch and interchange accessories at all?

Also, in terms of Auric tier alone, Melee has 2, Ranged has 2, Magic has 2, Summoner has 1 (that one's fair), and the Celestus can be used by any class, as it's classless.

On the subject of strategies... tell me there isn't a single boss in all of Terraria, mod or not, that has no reliance on a single kind of strategy used in order to best deal with it. Literally no boss in the entire game has a single, generalistically widely-used strategy in the ENTIRE game.

Eye of Cthulhu: run in a straight line. Dashes will never hit you, especially in Expert.

Eater of Worlds: use a melee/piercing/exploding weapon. In Expert, try to avoid staying still when it shoots vile spit.

Brain of Cthulhu: watch for it's teleports, and stay away from large clusters of Creepers. In Expert, it genuinely isn't that different, as only one brain has a health bar.

Skeletron: Big platform is preferable. Run back and forth, and jump over hands. In Expert, don't stay at one point of elevation in order to dodge skulls when he starts shooting them.

Queen Bee: several layers of platforms is best. Switch between them when she dashes. Get an exploding or melee weapon in order to deal with bees. spike balls also work to place on platforms to trick her into taking damage with each dash.

Wall of Flesh: big block platform across all of the underworld. run and shoot.

You see my point here, surely. But at the exact same time, you don't really have to do these things.

I've fought the wall before without a bridge. I've almost entirely abandoned the platform arena with Queen Bee, only using them to support like, heart lamps and campfires. With the Eye of Cthulhu, I tend to try and stay in one area so that it becomes a little more challenging... I don't like the fight with that one general method, it gets boring, as you say.

There are other examples of bosses that have been fought in ways people don't USUALLY do. Take Yrimir's Expert Moon Lord fight (at least the first one, I do not know if he's done it again.) He, instead of doing what a lot of people do end up doing for that fight, which is fighting the boss by only flying around and using the Rod or fast wings for the phantasmal laser, opted for staying on the ground for almost the entire first phase, using a small setup with a shield of blocks to avoid damage from the laser entirely. On Phase 2, he tries to outpace the eyes.

And in terms of Calamity bosses, take Leviathan's challenge with the Devourer of Gods, Cosmic Kunai only:

The tactics he uses here aren't tactics you can't use with other classes, with other weapons. I'd go as far to say that you can use these unconventional methods to deal even more damage to it than if you did some other way.

There is no one true way to deal with any boss in Terraria, or the rest of the game. I've utilized the methods Leviathan uses against the Devourer in my own fights, and it'd proven itself to be rather effective. Not only that, but it's made the fight much more thrilling and fun, as I have to dedicate a rather large amount of concentration in getting it right.
i meant in total of accessories, you can interchange them.

terraria bosses encourage creativity, while calamity bosses just make you bored out of your mind while you grind the facetank in front of you unless you use the right weapon, strategy, and accessories. not much accessory combos are actually viable against certain bosses.

when a new strat is found to do a boss fab wants you to do one way, fab either nerfs the item or changes up the boss to make the strategy no longer viable, like adding fire breath to dog to make an already non-viable weapon (cosmic kunai) impossible for a normal person to use.

terraria bosses encourage creativity, while calamity bosses just make you bored out of your mind while you grind the facetank in front of you unless you use the right weapon, strategy, and accessories. not much accessory combos are actually viable against certain bosses.

when a new strat is found to do a boss fab wants you to do one way, fab either nerfs the item or changes up the boss to make the strategy no longer viable, like adding fire breath to dog to make an already non-viable weapon (cosmic kunai) impossible for a normal person to use.

Well, in the case of the nerfs and buffs, you have a good point. I haven't attempted the DoG courting method for a while, and this was before Fab added the fire breath. However, I do still feel like you can push the limits of this mod in such a way. There doesn't have to be one set way in dealing with it, as I'm still certain there is still more than one way to deal with each boss in the mod, as there should be. Hopefully these methods do not get entirely screwed over in the future.

... or they at least add more items for you to take advantage of outside of a single tier, like drops from bosses or enemies that are actually useful for a long amount of time after the next boss, at least...

I disagree with your statement that calamity bosses do not promote strategizing and creativity, if you want something to be fun (I imagine you get bored when fighting the different calamity bosses) then just add a some flavour and spicing to the fight, like fighting with no armour, using/banning use of different accessories, fighting post-Providence/post-Moonlord buffed with pre-Moonlord/pre-Providence gear, dodging attacks in a certain way, disabling movement (not sure if anyone has tried this but dodging a jumping Ravager by moving below it has to be one of the most fun things to try doing, especially now since he has these pole things.), no one said you have to fight the Devourer using a straight horizontal platform, you can fly, you can make an arena just like in the SCal fight, also, you do know the Devourers tail end is highly vulnerable, just like it's head, still making the strategy somewhat doable. If you can't fight SCal, then just try harder, nothings wrong with a bullet hell, it's in the name of the attack type, an entire hell of bullets or projectiles. Just because you can't do it, doesn't give you the authority to actually change something just so you can do something. There are people who enjoy fight Supreme Calamitas this way. If you remember before SCal was reworked, you would know she was just basically the Calamitas Doppelganger but with a gigantic buff, and that does not seem fun to me because it's not challenging. One does not simply remove the challenge just so they can finish the game, fighting SCal right now feels extremely rewarding, fighting SCal then didn't feel as rewarding because it literally was just a buffed Calamitas. Then, you could defeat all 3 of the final bosses (not including Bumblebirb as a major/notably hard boss) with out all these crazy 1-shot Firenados and box arenas, but now, because Calamity's bosses have been reworked, then the challenge element to do these 3 bosses would be near impossible, especially with Supreme Calamitas' hit count, that's what makes this mod so bloody fun, because you can't simply facetank these bosses. Recently, Plantera has been facetanked, and shredded in 10 seconds, do you see how creative you can be with these bosses, how challenging it is to kill Plantera using Post-Mech Boss gear? I'm not sure about this, but I'm quite positive that you can kill Golem with the same gear. You can go for max damage, max speed, or max defense with your accessories, you can use downgrades of your accessories, that's a lot of choice, and variety. So ye, im a dead now

I disagree with your statement that calamity bosses do not promote strategizing and creativity, if you want something to be fun (I imagine you get bored when fighting the different calamity bosses) then just add a some flavour and spicing to the fight, like fighting with no armour, using/banning use of different accessories, fighting post-Providence/post-Moonlord buffed with pre-Moonlord/pre-Providence gear, dodging attacks in a certain way, disabling movement (not sure if anyone has tried this but dodging a jumping Ravager by moving below it has to be one of the most fun things to try doing, especially now since he has these pole things.), no one said you have to fight the Devourer using a straight horizontal platform, you can fly, you can make an arena just like in the SCal fight, also, you do know the Devourers tail end is highly vulnerable, just like it's head, still making the strategy somewhat doable. If you can't fight SCal, then just try harder, nothings wrong with a bullet hell, it's in the name of the attack type, an entire hell of bullets or projectiles. Just because you can't do it, doesn't give you the authority to actually change something just so you can do something. There are people who enjoy fight Supreme Calamitas this way. If you remember before SCal was reworked, you would know she was just basically the Calamitas Doppelganger but with a gigantic buff, and that does not seem fun to me because it's not challenging. One does not simply remove the challenge just so they can finish the game, fighting SCal right now feels extremely rewarding, fighting SCal then didn't feel as rewarding because it literally was just a buffed Calamitas. Then, you could defeat all 3 of the final bosses (not including Bumblebirb as a major/notably hard boss) with out all these crazy 1-shot Firenados and box arenas, but now, because Calamity's bosses have been reworked, then the challenge element to do these 3 bosses would be near impossible, especially with Supreme Calamitas' hit count, that's what makes this mod so bloody fun, because you can't simply facetank these bosses. Recently, Plantera has been facetanked, and shredded in 10 seconds, do you see how creative you can be with these bosses, how challenging it is to kill Plantera using Post-Mech Boss gear? I'm not sure about this, but I'm quite positive that you can kill Golem with the same gear. You can go for max damage, max speed, or max defense with your accessories, you can use downgrades of your accessories, that's a lot of choice, and variety. So ye, im a dead now

My biggest issue with the bosses in the mod is supreme calamitas' hit counter / bullet hell. Terraria was not designed to be a bullet hell, its movement is not as tight as touhou's or monolith's or cuphead's etc. It takes time to change from one direction to the next there's momentum that you need to lose making it very hard to not get hit, the hit counter on top of this only adds insult to injury. Either the hit counter is removed and the bullet hell is kept or the bullet hell is removed and the hit counter is kept.

If you can't fight SCal, then just try harder, nothings wrong with a bullet hell, it's in the name of the attack type, an entire hell of bullets or projectiles. Just because you can't do it, doesn't give you the authority to actually change something just so you can do something. There are people who enjoy fight Supreme Calamitas this way.

The point isn't that I can't do it. The point is that the projectiles are produced like a fireworks burst wherever they land, and even if you watch good players like Leviathan, you see him pretty regularly using the Rod of Discord to escape a cage of projectiles. The cage thing is the design flaw. Terraria does have momentum, increasing your jump speed forces you to jump an uncontrollable minimum distance, and the dodge accessories also force you to move a set distance. All of that makes the idea of bullet hell questionable in the first place. Sometimes the movement mechanics will fail you, but you can somewhat account for the reliable pitfalls of Terraria's movement. You can't, as a player, account for projectiles randomly trapping you.

It's the randomness that's the biggest issue. The randomness is what makes the hit counter non-viable, because you're going to get hit sometimes by pure chance through no fault of your own. I think if you really wanted to fire projectiles in a bullet hell fashion, you'd want the projectiles to emanate from a fixed point - like the center of the boss, maybe - spread outward in a fixed pattern, and then sometimes switch up the pattern to trick the player while still giving them time to course correct when they spot the change.

Requiring the strict movements of a bullet hell from most of the late Calamity bosses is still a lot to ask because the feet move a lot on Polterghast, DoG is chasing you, Yharon is teleporting, SCal's animal sidekicks are trying to ram you. That's the flaw of lifting base game AI and trying to add mechanics that don't jive with that AI. Planetera isn't designed to be a bullet hell boss and adding bullet hell is an unpredictable mess. If bullet hell is the objective, the bosses should be scratch-built to suit a bullet hell design, and the bullet hell shouldn't be randomly generated, but should come in a way that gives the player time to set up and move. Just a second or so to alter your momentum or leap into the sky.

fighting SCal right now feels extremely rewarding
It's not rewarding in any physical, objective way. First of all, when you defeat it, it insults you. Second, its drops and the equipment you can make from it are not valuable because they provide limited to no benefit against DoG, Yharon, nor SCal. All bosses before those three can be easily trashed by anything you can make post Yharon. Yharon is the last boss to add actual value to your arsenal. Some people might even argue the Shadowspec armor is a downgrade from Auric armor.

If you can't fight SCal, then just try harder, nothings wrong with a bullet hell, it's in the name of the attack type, an entire hell of bullets or projectiles. Just because you can't do it, doesn't give you the authority to actually change something just so you can do something.

I mean unless it's literally built to not be done. The fight proves itself to fail to be player-friendly (things literally prove themselves to be impossible in certain situations that have nothing to do with actual, enforced player progression) and things definitely need to be reworked so that everybody has a chance to be able to finish the fight. If you die, it should be the PLAYER'S fault, as perhaps they were not careful enough to avoid a barrage of attacks, or failed to utilize their gear in the most effective way, NOT because Supreme Calamitas "decides" you got hit too many times. It makes Terraria's health system basically pointless, as even if you recover from a hit, you'll still be closer to death no matter what.

Hi guys. I'm currently playing calamity with a few other mods, overhaul and thorium being the only major ones. Recently got the sun god's staff and I was wondering how it works?

As far as I know, the effects of the staff stack upto the number of minions I can summon. As of now, that'd be six, and my staff does 118 damage per hit. Theoretically, it should do about 700 damage per hit but it seems to be doing nearly half that and it still takes either one or two shots to kill enemies like flying corruptors. It doesn't feel much different from just having summoned the staff once.

What am I missing? it doesn't feel like it stacks :/

Hi guys. I'm currently playing calamity with a few other mods, overhaul and thorium being the only major ones. Recently got the sun god's staff and I was wondering how it works?

As far as I know, the effects of the staff stack upto the number of minions I can summon. As of now, that'd be six, and my staff does 118 damage per hit. Theoretically, it should do about 700 damage per hit but it seems to be doing nearly half that and it still takes either one or two shots to kill enemies like flying corruptors. It doesn't feel much different from just having summoned the staff once.

What am I missing? it doesn't feel like it stacks :/

Are you playing in Revengeance Mode? If you aren't playing the Summoner class exclusively (not using weapons belonging to other classes) in Revengeance mode, summons do MASSIVELY decreased damage.

Are you playing in Revengeance Mode? If you aren't playing the Summoner class exclusively (not using weapons belonging to other classes) in Revengeance mode, summons do MASSIVELY decreased damage.

No, it's the normal stuff. It is expert mode.

The point isn't that I can't do it. The point is that the projectiles are produced like a fireworks burst wherever they land, and even if you watch good players like Leviathan, you see him pretty regularly using the Rod of Discord to escape a cage of projectiles. The cage thing is the design flaw. Terraria does have momentum, increasing your jump speed forces you to jump an uncontrollable minimum distance, and the dodge accessories also force you to move a set distance. All of that makes the idea of bullet hell questionable in the first place. Sometimes the movement mechanics will fail you, but you can somewhat account for the reliable pitfalls of Terraria's movement. You can't, as a player, account for projectiles randomly trapping you.

It's the randomness that's the biggest issue. The randomness is what makes the hit counter non-viable, because you're going to get hit sometimes by pure chance through no fault of your own. I think if you really wanted to fire projectiles in a bullet hell fashion, you'd want the projectiles to emanate from a fixed point - like the center of the boss, maybe - spread outward in a fixed pattern, and then sometimes switch up the pattern to trick the player while still giving them time to course correct when they spot the change.

Requiring the strict movements of a bullet hell from most of the late Calamity bosses is still a lot to ask because the feet move a lot on Polterghast, DoG is chasing you, Yharon is teleporting, SCal's animal sidekicks are trying to ram you. That's the flaw of lifting base game AI and trying to add mechanics that don't jive with that AI. Planetera isn't designed to be a bullet hell boss and adding bullet hell is an unpredictable mess. If bullet hell is the objective, the bosses should be scratch-built to suit a bullet hell design, and the bullet hell shouldn't be randomly generated, but should come in a way that gives the player time to set up and move. Just a second or so to alter your momentum or leap into the sky.

It's not rewarding in any physical, objective way. First of all, when you defeat it, it insults you. Second, its drops and the equipment you can make from it are not valuable because they provide limited to no benefit against DoG, Yharon, nor SCal. All bosses before those three can be easily trashed by anything you can make post Yharon. Yharon is the last boss to add actual value to your arsenal. Some people might even argue the Shadowspec armor is a downgrade from Auric armor.
Oof ok so the real problem with the bosses are the movement mechanics and the randomness of Scal's projectiles right? So what I think you're saying is that terraria wasn't designed to be a bullet-hell random projectile spam game, and that every action a boss makes has to have at least an identifiable pattern and that bosses shouldn't force you to move quickly right? Ok hol up i feel pretty :red: (im not sure how you swear without using the actual word but ive seen people use red to swear so ye) for feeling pretty arrogant, i guess i can agree that SCal's dialogue is pretty edgy, which for some reason I do not expect from a witch that has a sense of hopelessness considering she can't even escape yharim, so ye the dialogue isn't that easy to like. Ok so i think there are 2 sides of the community, those who like the randomness, and those who would rather find patterns in bosses, and another 2 for those that think movement shouldnt be strict and that movement should be strict, i guess i was kinda blinded by how cool the music, sprites, and attacks each of the bosses have so ye, p foolish yo. (hopefully im not pissing you guys off by being quite informal) but ye i guess we should just let this topic slide yo yo yo, i guess we should just accept both sides and the bosses as they are, ig. if there are changes yall want with scals ai im fine with it yo probably even rooting for the dialogue change but ye i guess we all should shut up or something especially with regards to this topic . the mods great tho, sprites, music, lore, design, not perfect but 99% oof sorry for sounding like an a-hole if i did in anyway yo yoski

oof, okay so i already posted this on another thread but it seemed pretty inactive, so i guess i might as well post it here.
So uh, the abyss didn't generate in my world, there are no holes whatsoever, and I checked playthroughs on episodes where I can see the hole to make sure It wasn't just really small or i had to dig it myself (although I think I would spot a giant hole in the ground after walking through the SS multiple times). My world size is medium (expert, revengance). I didn't notice until after I defeated the aquatic scourge and decided I would check out the abyss for a while (you know how that ended). Another detail is that whenever I enter the water when digging down, I get the effects of the abyss (low light source, cant breathe even with gills potion) and even the abyss music plays.

I don't think i can fix this, but this is just a heads up for the bug. Check your world's before you progress through almost halfway of the game y'all.

No, it's the normal stuff. It is expert mode.

The Sun God staff doesn't multiply its damage based on how many you summon, as they simply summon and layer on top of each other. If you have six summoned at once, you'd have six Sun God summons striking their target at the same time.

The Sun God staff doesn't multiply its damage based on how many you summon, as they simply summon and layer on top of each other. If you have six summoned at once, you'd have six Sun God summons striking their target at the same time.

yes, I understand. I'm just double checking to see if it works as intended because it seems to me to be doing the same amount of damage as one even when I summon 6. Since there's no indicator of how many I've summoned at any given point, i can't really check. I'll try to summon other minions and see if I can find out that way :)

I'm confused; I thought Void would go with Lower Abyss as intended as well as Infernal Catharsis Rebirth with Yharon Phase 1 and Roar of the Jungle Dragon with Yharon Phase 2?

Back
Top Bottom