Other Make Bee Wax drop from (background) Beehives

Baconfry

Terrarian
The beehives that spawn naturally in the jungle currently exist as a biome hazard, and to a lesser extent, a minor source of Stingers. I'd like to propose that they additionally drop a piece of Bee Wax (the crafting ingredient for bee-themed summoning equipment).

This would mean that defeating Queen Bee would no longer be a requirement for obtaining the Hornet Staff. And in my opinion, this is fine. The Hornet Staff is an underpowered weapon when compared to the Imp Staff, which can be crafted without defeating any bosses. Bee equipment is probably a different story, since the improved minion capacity dramatically improves the effectiveness of both Hornets and Imps. So that should probably still be locked behind Queen Bee.

And the way I propose that is introducing a new item called Bug Meat. This would have a 50% chance to drop from Queen Bee, and a 100% chance to drop when the Queen Bee's larva is destroyed. (I'm open to making it the other way around, if you think it's appropriate.) Bug Meat would be used in the crafting recipe of Bee Headgear, Breastplate, and Greaves (but not the Hornet Staff). This means that you could obtain the full Bee Armor set from destroying three larvae without actually winning the fight, but if you attempt the fight three times and fail each time, I'd say you've suffered enough. Any extra Bug Meat can be used to craft 10 Apprentice Bait each.

You can consider this thread a variation of the commonly-seen "improve early-game summoners" thread. The way I'm doing it here is by moving the Hornet Staff into an earlier stage of the game, and yes, that means that another summoning weapon would now be available without killing anything. Which is fine, right? This change would be very good news for people who want to challenge themselves with a "summon-only" playthrough. Not that it was my primary motive for making this suggestion, but it's there.

To summarize in the form of a changelog:

-Beehives (background object) drop 1 Bee Wax when destroyed.
-Added Bug Meat. This is dropped from the Queen's larva and has a chance to drop from Queen Bee.
-Bug Meat is now used in the crafting recipes of Bee Armor.
-Bug Meat can be used to craft Apprentice Bait.

As always, your feedback is appreciated. If you want to leave a comment or suggestions for improvement, one good place to start would be helping me come up with a name that's a bit less disgusting than "Bug Meat".

Is Bug Meat from Stardew Valley? That's the only other game I can think of that has an item with that name.

I like the idea, but the name bugs me a little. Maybe Larvae, Bee Larvae, Bee Pupae or Bee Egg would be better?

The names I’d have preferred would be either Royal Jelly or Bee’s Knee, but those are already taken, sort of. And idk about crafting armor out of an entire creature that’s still alive.

I’d say “Exoskeletal Fragment” comes close, but then I’d struggle to justify crafting it into something consumable like fishing bait.

Back
Top Bottom