tModLoader Terraria Overhaul - Gameplay enhancements and much more

i noticed that the Meatball and the Ball 'o' Hurt can be crafted if you have a Loom built nearby (even without having the required materials). not sure if its an Overhaul bug but taking in account this mod adds whips as an additional to Flails i wanted to report and see if other's have found the same with this last update.

that and some black blocks are the only weird thing i've seen in 3.0, will have to check which blocks are those because for the most part all the tiles are showing as intended, no background or lighting issues so far (that i have seen at first glance).

copypaste from the Patreon page:

What even is this though?
(Copypasta) The update's main change is the completely new resource (textures, sounds and music) management system, which nerfs load times to the minimum, significantly lowers memory usage and doesn't even slow down the game, because its multi-threaded and works asynchronously.

After that, there's a lot of general FPS optimizations, which had me optimize the game itself instead of the mod not for the first time. This is, however, the first time I was able to run this at very stable 144 fps (note: very few things in Terraria actually update at your monitor's refresh rate) instead of being stuck with a choice of either feeling weird at 100fps, or turning on frame skip and feeling weird in another way. So yeah, it's just overall better.

There's also tons of fixes (but phantasm is still invisible, sorry!) and random additions & changes that all make the game more playable. Just check the changelogs below.

Load speed comparison:

2.1.9.1: ~17 seconds; 3.0: ~2 seconds.

Initiate memory usage in small world comparison:

2.1.9.1: ~1900-2000 MB; 3.0: ~1250-1400MB.

Added
  • Beta2 -> Release:
  • Added an option to turn off water floods
  • Previously:
  • Added ModPack Judge
  • 99, 999 and 9999 max stack values will be replaced with 100, 1000 and 10000.
  • New impact effects for when you shoot Crimson Ligaments.
  • New fabulous forest tree variant for all seasons, made out of unused sprites.
  • Thrown dynamite and bombs can now be picked up with Right Click, so you have a chance to save your house from being accidentally blown up.
  • Fixed an untested feature not working.. Try headshotting a skeleton.
  • Crimson Ligaments will no longer grow in Spring.
  • New footstep sound for gore and evil tiles.
  • Cheesy names for Normal & Expert skill levels.
  • Crows will now spawn at day in autumn too, but they won't be hostile until night comes.
  • Items no longer have horizontal air friction, making loot explosions more good looking and annoying. Life and mana pickups won't be affected, because explosions can make a total mess.
  • Items will now bounce off ground and walls.
  • Items now visually rotate.
  • Items now have new ground impact sounds.

Performance
  • Beta2 -> Release:
  • (!!!) Releases now have compiler optimization, which sadly results in loss of proper debug strings, though.
  • (!!!) Heavily sped up game's lighting via code injections.
  • (!!!) Heavily sped up game's tile rendering via code injections.
  • Rewrote text rendering to fix issues with tags not being parsed. It now acts 100% the same as in vanilla, but calls draw methods up to a hundred times less frequent. SPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED.
  • Sped up configuration access, which very slightly improved performance of everything in overhaul.
  • Slightly improved one injected method's performance.
  • Previously:
  • Heavily optimized Terraria's infamous "Marathon Medalist" achievement code.
  • (!!!) Half of the mod's backend (technical side) has been rewritten.
  • (!!!) Wrote custom texture management for overhaul: Loading times are much lower now, textures load-in on need, and memory usage is way way lower.
  • (!!!) Completely rewrote Overhaul's OGG sound system. It's basically the same as with textures: Hundred times faster loading times and way lower memory usage.
  • (!!!) Music now uses OGG files (instead of MP3) and also uses way less memory, as it now replaces vanilla music tracks completely in memory when needed and is unloaded properly, so there won't be a Blooming Corruption track loaded if it's not even Autumn.
  • Split a lot of code into systems, which are only loaded if needed, so there's some very slight (old clientside code lines weren't executing on servers too, but there were still per-frame checks before them) performance boosts for dedicated server.
  • (!) Completely reimplemented the tag system, which is used by everything in overhaul that's at least remotely related to new and existing content. This boosted performance by about 2%, which is a lot tbh.
  • (!) Completely reimplemented item extensions. I'm not sure how much their type-checks and instancing code was taking, but this rewrite very possibly could raise FPS by at least 1 for some people.
  • (!) Sound Effects that weren't used for 30 seconds are now unloaded, which lowers memory usage and highly lowers chance of still getting OutOfMemory exceptions.
  • (!) Heavily sped up a lot of Vanilla's text rendering via code injections. This improved UI performance by about 2 times.
  • (!) Fixed lag from projectiles checking collisions with far away crimson ligaments, hopefully completely.
  • (!) Heavily optimized some tModLoader methods by adding cache to them, resulting in a huge performance boost of rendering of some modded armors. This should be in tML itself eventually.
  • World load speed dramatically increased.
  • Epic Crimson Ligament optimization.
  • Heavily optimized act of adding blood to tiles.
  • Optimizations for lighting computations for blood on tiles.- Optimizations for sound instancing that result in performance increase on multiplayer clients.
  • Fixed some serious performance slowdowns during rain (doesn't affect vanilla code).
  • Rewrote Tile Check related code. This fixed many issues alike to cloud lakes evaporation and slightly improved overall performance.
  • Rewrote NetMessage parsing code.
  • Rewrote AtmosphereSystem code, with slight performance improvements.
  • Slightly optimized AtmosphereSystem code.
  • Slightly optimized all code related to seasons.
  • Removed many useless resource loads on dedicated servers.
  • Optimization of Reflection-related code during initialization.
  • Optimized general tile-related functions by around 40%
  • Simple, but for some reason effective optimization: Replaced Main.GameUpdateCount property with a field
  • Very slight optimization for ALL of overhaul's rendering.
  • Even more optimizations for Overhaul's tile rendering-related code.
  • Once again, heavily optimized overhaul's projectile code (interaction with other projectiles, players, npcs and gores).
  • Rewrote water freezing & evaporation code for a huge performance boost during Summer & Winter.
  • Slight optimizations for rendering of blood particles & electricity.
  • Slight optimizations for spawning of gores in autumn evil biomes.
  • Slight optimizations related to access to types of items & npcs

Changes
  • Beta2 -> Release:
  • Getting Wet debuff no longer gives players Chilled debuff when in cold areas. They still get it when touching water directly.
  • Warmth Potion now makes the player immune to Chilled debuff.
  • Winter is no longer pitch black at nights. Instead, it's just darker than Autumn at night and is brighter than Summer at day.
  • Autumn is bit less darker at night now, and is way less dark at day.
  • Many beds are no longer flammable. Previously all of them were flammable on purpose.
  • Items that float in water will now try to achieve zero rotation when entering it.
  • "Can be picked back up with RMB" message should now show up on glowsticks and explosives too.
  • Heavily improved arrow sticking logic. This also resulted in a bugfix for jester and some other arrows not penetrating enemies.
  • Previously:
  • Removed Exception Logging forcing.
  • Brain of Cthulhu now spawns creepers in its second phase every second.
  • Completely changed ash grass regrowing: It now needs to be close to a non-burned grass block to grow.
  • Increased size of Onyx Blaster 9000's projectile's hitbox from like 4x4 to 32x32 pixels.
  • Smoothed sky transition for when you enter Corruption/Crimson in Autumn.
  • Players will now be teleported to their spawn point on load if any issues occur with their saved position or velocity. This is a small change to make the very rare yet unknown "NaN" teleports outside the map less impactful.
  • Completely redid Crimson Ligaments. There's way less glitches and shooting them is now way more satisfying.
  • Halved sunlight dimming of Autumn.
  • Heavily improved small gore & blood spawns when a gore piece is destroyed.
  • Better sounds for gore destruction.
  • Crimson Ligaments now drop Vertebrae.
  • Minimap is now disabled by default when you enter a world.
  • Small bees now have x1.5 times damage, but can only hit you once before dying.
  • Medium bees are now slower but deal bit more damage.
  • MOTDs are now shown every time you enter the world, not just when there's a new one.
  • "MOTD:" prefix renamed to "Overhaul MOTD:"
  • Made some menu text bit more readable.
  • Halloween now starts at 1st October and ends at 10th November like on mobile.
  • GROSS debuff should now disappear faster when leaving/destroying the crimson ligament you were touching.
  • Autumn Evil's sky is now a little bit more intense.
  • Winter Evil's sky is now a bit darker too, instead of looking like in Summer

Fixes
  • Whatever:
  • ALT+TAB/WINDOW RESIZE CRASH HAS APPARENTLY BEEN FIXED oH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOod.
  • Beta2 -> Release:
  • (!!!) All code injection methods are now way more stable and should now work on Linux & Mac the same way they do on Windows. This means that Overhaul's in-game settings should appear on Linux & Mac.
  • Supposedly fixed black lines appearing randomly in world when in multiplayer.
  • Fixed "Enable Item Overhauls" option not affect anything.
  • Fixed various bookcase and workbench types burning though they obviously shouldn't.
  • Fixed Online Info requests "stacking up" when there's no connection to the internet.
  • Fixed piranhas, sharks and trees not spawning during hurricanes. HOW COME NO ONE REPORTED THIS SINCE ~2.1.9?
  • Fixed Chlorophyte bullets getting "stuck" inside metallic enemies.
  • Fixed gore & tree blood not spawning in Corruption or Crimson in Autumn.
  • Fixed jester and some other types of arrows not penetrating enemies.
  • Fixed "Spark Taser" item in thorium and many other items being falsely detected as throwing items.
  • Previously:
  • Finally fixed loot bags disappearing in multiplayer. This is temporarily done by disabling item optimizations in MP.
  • Finally fixed high memory usage caused by tModLoader's awful texture system and some other things. See "Performance".
  • Finally fixed Tile-related checks being bugged, resulting in issues like water evaporating from cloud lakes and water freezing when it clearly shouldn't. The checks were also optimized.
  • Finally fixed player or camera movement being very shaky and accelerated when frame skip is off on >60hz monitors.
  • Fixed some crashes that could be caused by trees in multiplayer.
  • Finally fixed dirt spawning instead of burning tiles when in multiplayer.
  • Fixed "A meteor has fallen!" messages not getting triggered.
  • Fixed mop's new sprite going back to the old one when it's used.
  • Fixed player rendering duplication when using Thorium and/or some other mods.
  • Fixed female characters sometimes use male armor sprites.
  • Fixed clothing style with "heart" and "skull" having shirt/undershirt colors swapped
  • Fixed corals being able to grow on wet sand without water.
  • Fixed worlds that were made without overhaul start in the current IRL season instead of always starting in Spring.
  • Fixed "Dangerously Placed Torch Removing" not properly running in worlds that were made without overhaul.
  • Fixed {version} instead of a version number showing up in main menu when a new update is available.
  • Fixed Meteorite Bar crafting recipe requiring an anvil instead of a furnace.
  • Fixed lighting (background most noticeably) flickering under some conditions when frame skip is off on >60 hz monitors.
  • Fixed main menu freezes when loading the mod without internet connection. Web requests are now completely asynchronous, executed in another thread.
  • Fixed a really awful issue with "Deselect" code not running on items sometimes, resulting in chainsaw & minigun sound loops never stopping.
  • Fixed Onyx Blaster and possibly some other weapons causing error spam on servers when held by any player.
  • Fixed some magic weapons from thorium causing overhaul to cause some sound errors.
  • Fixed a strange crash during item rendering that.. just.. started happening.. for some reason..
  • Fixed a crash that could sometimes occur during rain.
  • Fixed lightning being able to spread fire through non-flammable blocks.
  • Fixed getting struck by lightning causing messages in the likes of Player was slain by Player's .
  • Fixed there not being any messages for deaths from on-block electric shockwaves.
  • Fixed fallen stars stacking up in the world due to item optimizations.
  • Fixed random "Destination array was not long enough." exception related to wall climbing in OverhaulPlayer.
  • Totally ensured that "Division by zero" exception that was being thrown during background rendering is fixed.
  • Fixed seasonal textures being updated (checked) every frame in main menu, resulting in slight FPS drops.
  • Fixed Onyx Blaster and many boss deaths shaking screens for all players in multiplayer regardless of their position.
  • Fixed most the issues with Crimson Ligaments in MP.
  • Fixed "Dangerously placed torch removal" code not running when it was the whole fire system itself toggled instead of just torches' behavior.
  • Fixed Brain of Cthulhu not dying properly in multiplayer. Apparently this was due to a sound playback call on dedicated servers.
  • Fixed some generation conflicts with other mods like Antiaris.
  • Fixed hotkeys sometimes activating when typing text in chat. This sucked.
  • Fixed inadequate behavior of "Update available" messages when on a private beta.
  • Fixed on-load crashes when using the newest tML build from Github.
  • Fixed bosses spam-spawning their gores due to damage dealing debuffs still being on them.
  • Fixed season/year/day announcements being affected by zoom.
  • RE-fixed issue with backgrounds flickering in corruption & crimson.
  • Fixed creating a new world not clearing the "inactive item" array, resulting in drops from previously loaded worlds appearing in the newly generated one.
  • Fixed chainsaw and/or Minigun sounds not stopping when item is dropping via a key.
  • Fixed magic weapons not making any sounds on normal shots.
The update's picture took me 84 years to make.

a correction in what i said yesterday, the assorted evil biome flails are being found avaliable for crafting without materials if you have an Anvil present. still not sure if its an Overhaul exclusive bug but just for clarification in case someone has found the same thing while playing.

There is a bug with Calamity mod, eye of cthulu does no damage on expert mode. You can skip to minute 10 in Alwec's video here where it is cleary illustrated. Also, I have tested it right now and the issue is still present. Please consider fixing it.

Would Content mods such as Thorium/Calamity work for this mod without breaking too many things? Really want to do a playthrough of this but I don't want anything to break in the middle of said playthrough.

I'm having trouble trying to install the terraria over haul mod. Every time I install it and then reload my mods it crashes, then when I load Terraria back up its fine but then after a few seconds it will crash, so I'm on a time limit to uninstall the mod, very rarely it will install perfectly fine or crash when I try reloading my mods and then when I start it back up its fine but going to create/load a world will then cause terraria to sit there frozen for about 30 seconds, say Terraria has stopped working and then crash. I'm not sure if its because of the mods I have installed (I have 27 mods installed + Terraria Overhaul) I doubt its the mods though because I've had 32 installed before and it worked perfectly fine. Could it be because its such a big mod or its not compatible with some of the mods. This mod is amazing and I would love to be able to use it. Help would be appreciated.

Mods:
Consolaria. Console exclusives and more
Mod Helpers (Hamstar Helpers)
Alchemist NPC
Extensible inventory
Miscellania
Danews Minin-Boss NPC
The One Library
Celestial Gifts
Portable storage - experimental
HERO'S Mod
Tremor Mod Remastered
Fargo's Mutant Mod: Summons and Souls
Which Mod Is This From? (WMITF)
Magic Storage
Spirit Mod
Where's my items
Calamity Mod
Thorium Mod
Yet another boss health bar

a correction in what i said yesterday, the assorted evil biome flails are being found avaliable for crafting without materials if you have an Anvil present. still not sure if its an Overhaul exclusive bug but just for clarification in case someone has found the same thing while playing.
I'm also experiencing this bug- it's what I came here to mention, after searching around to figure out which mod was causing it. Just noticed it today. It's unpleasantly tempting to craft them since I'm early-game but no exploiting.

Would Content mods such as Thorium/Calamity work for this mod without breaking too many things? Really want to do a playthrough of this but I don't want anything to break in the middle of said playthrough.
It won't necessarily break, however most mod content will GREATLY outshine anything Overhaul alters since Overhaul removes autoswing/autofire for lots of melee weapons, magic weapons, some guns, adds reloading to guns and charging to bows, all of which doesn't work with the majority of modded items.

all inventory and menu text is blinking after update. very annoying. how can i turn it off?
Seconded. However, you may try "No Text Pulse" or "No Font Pulse". It's another mod which supposedly stops all text from doing that. Not sure if it will work with Overhaul but it's worth a shot.

I'm having trouble trying to install the terraria over haul mod. Every time I install it and then reload my mods it crashes, then when I load Terraria back up its fine but then after a few seconds it will crash, so I'm on a time limit to uninstall the mod, very rarely it will install perfectly fine or crash when I try reloading my mods and then when I start it back up its fine but going to create/load a world will then cause terraria to sit there frozen for about 30 seconds, say Terraria has stopped working and then crash. I'm not sure if its because of the mods I have installed (I have 27 mods installed + Terraria Overhaul) I doubt its the mods though because I've had 32 installed before and it worked perfectly fine. Could it be because its such a big mod or its not compatible with some of the mods. This mod is amazing and I would love to be able to use it. Help would be appreciated.

Mods:
-Snip-
Post your client-crashlog (found in your main Terraria install folder) and your logs file (found in the Logs folder), preferably in spoilers, or as a pastebin link, or just the files themselves; otherwise it would be far too difficult to help with such a vague crash. That said, if I had to take a guess, it's likely Magic Storage and Portable Storage. I've heard those two are extremely incompatible with eachother, so you should try removing whichever you would prefer to be without and try again for now.

Nice big update, but I'm still really hoping for options to turn off weapon charging/reloading and bring back autoswing, and also bring back the ability to lock onto enemies for ranged attacks. Maybe coming in the future?

On an unrelated but kind of related topic, could the optimizations and performance/speed improvements targeted toward Vanilla Terraria and tModLoader code in v3.0 perhaps be put into a new, seperate mod as well? I'm sure lots of people would love the option to get the boost they provide, even if not extremely significant, without needing to install Overhaul, for example on playthroughs where they're running lots of other mods, as Overhaul tends to clash with lots of mod-added content.

I also get the black artifacts bug, sometimes it's glitched sprites from the game repeatedly pasted across the background. Occurs when I alt-tab to desktop, alt-tabbing back and forth or going fullscreen seems to fix it for me.

As for the light glitch, I noticed it aswell as I was doing a build with lamps..
Torches seems to flicker on/off (like faulty lights) while lamps do activate and change to the ON sprite, yet emit no light whatsoever, seems to affect all lamps, tested it out.

Last edited:
I'm also experiencing this bug- it's what I came here to mention, after searching around to figure out which mod was causing it. Just noticed it today. It's unpleasantly tempting to craft them since I'm early-game but no exploiting.

It won't necessarily break, however most mod content will GREATLY outshine anything Overhaul alters since Overhaul removes autoswing/autofire for lots of melee weapons, magic weapons, some guns, adds reloading to guns and charging to bows, all of which doesn't work with the majority of modded items.

Seconded. However, you may try "No Text Pulse" or "No Font Pulse". It's another mod which supposedly stops all text from doing that. Not sure if it will work with Overhaul but it's worth a shot.

Post your client-crashlog (found in your main Terraria install folder) and your logs file (found in the Logs folder), preferably in spoilers, or as a pastebin link, or just the files themselves; otherwise it would be far too difficult to help with such a vague crash. That said, if I had to take a guess, it's likely Magic Storage and Portable Storage. I've heard those two are extremely incompatible with eachother, so you should try removing whichever you would prefer to be without and try again for now.

Attachments

• client-crashlog.txt
    45.7 KB · Views: 205
  • Logs.txt
    1.9 KB · Views: 160
20181028203453_1.jpg

The lamps work great now! Props for the fix, though now campfires seem to have the same issue.

-crashlogs-
Judging by your log files, it is in fact an out of memory error that's repeating each time you try. it's not so much the number of mods that matters, but the amount of content, and you have a large number of very big mods installed, which is likely what's pushing you over the 4GB RAM limit that 32 bit programs such as Terraria have.

Judging by your log files, it is in fact an out of memory error that's repeating each time you try. it's not so much the number of mods that matters, but the amount of content, and you have a large number of very big mods installed, which is likely what's pushing you over the 4GB RAM limit that 32 bit programs such as Terraria have.

Ah ok thank you very much

Since it became 3.0, there was a delay which was not previously in multiplayer, in-game chat is not functioning well.
Do you have the same symptoms?
It does not fix it even if it reaches 3.0.1.

These are the other mods we are putting in.
AFK's PETS and more v 9.9.1.5
Even More Modifers v0.1.2.3
Chad's Furniture Mod v1.4.1
WeaponOut v1.6.3
Wing Slot v1.6.2
Calamity Mod v1.3.4.103
YetAnother Boss Health Bar v1.3.2
Magic Storage v 04.3.3
Infinity - Endless Items v 18.1

So I like this mod, but I turned it off so I could play normally. When I went to change my controls back, I noticed that the name of the control scheme was still set to Overhaul (recommended). I suppose it's not too bad, but it kinda bugs me, so does anyone know how to change the name? If you do I'd really appreciate it.

Back
Top Bottom