Member-Run Contest Spriteathalon Part II

5719709261496320-pixel.png
meme

Round 1

(Forgive and correct me if you disagree with me…I’ll look at your sprite one more time!)

@TerrorPenguin

Creativity - 4/5 - A shark is already a mob of the sea, but you managed to make it extremely original! I was also expecting the weapon to be a sword, but you took that time to make it a pet! Nice work!

Color Palette - 5/5 - Hue shift present, only 10 colors make up the palette, yet the contrast and hue shift is visibly noticeable and still presents a stunning image!

Effort - 10/10 - Despite you submitting within the first 2 hours, all colors and shading goes to show texture and light, not to mention that the shading for the grub and the baby fit in to the overall feel! Amazing work!

Final Score: 19/20

@Giga

OBAMA IS GONE

Creativity - 4/5 - Same as Terror, the crab is already a part of the ocean, yet your interpretation of it renders it close to unique! The staff, though simple in nature, also is well executed!

Color Palette - 5/5 - You managed to use 9 colors to the full extent of their potential! Hue shift is present, and they all add up to make a cool-colored enemy!

Effort - 9/10 - While the sprite is small, details of effort have been made clear. The shell shows depth and texture through your manipulation of color and light, the claws are also detailed well enough with a little bit of texture showing through! While the legs (in my opinion) could have a better pattern (like joints, maybe?), you used the little area very well to the best it could possibly become!

Final Score: 18/20

@Melty

Creativity - 5/5 - This mob doesn’t currently exist, and the concept itself has very rarely been applied to the biome itself (I’d say even in some mods!). The weapon also pairs well with the skull itself!

Color Palette - 3/5 - While bone and red fit nicely together, I couldn’t tell the hue shifting (which is ok for more unsaturated colors), but in the end partially resulted in the sprite giving off a ‘dull’ color.

Effort - 7/10 - Nice work in creating the shape! I like it a lot! It’s very creative and the shape itself reflects nicely upon the skull of an ancient sea creature. However, there was a bit of pillowing here and there, as well as the fact some shading felt out of place (I would’ve made the snout area slightly lighter), and the outline shading contradicted with the internal shading (you had a lighter outline for the darker underside) - fix those and you’ve got a winner!

Final Score: 15/20

@Pixeroot

Creativity - 4/5 - While the whale mob doesn’t exist in terraria, the sprite could have been better!

Color Palette - 1/5 - While you only used 6 colors, they were all mainly greyscale, and while that’s alright, the grayscale made it a bit bland to look at. Suggestion: Mix your grays with another color like blue and hue shift that - it makes it pop out more and have more depth! Until you get the hang of using pure grayscale, always have another color mixed in!

Effort - 2/10 - While I like the cartoony concept behind it, I would encourage you to look at pictures of whales in real life, and try to model the body shape a little after it! Also, perhaps due to your canvas, but finish the tail of the whale! It’s a whale, not Winter the dolphin! Also, use those colors to your advantage! Shade your sprite so that texture can be seen! A place with round spots of light could symbol a round or lumpy texture - don’t just use bands of color! While I may not be the most experienced spriter, I suggest that you try it. Finally, this point rating might’ve been tough for you to see, but practice more and you’ll eventually get the hang of it! I look forwards to seeing you improve and show your worth in the future! Loved the face though - very expressive!

Final Score: 7/20

@Huzbubber Tim

Creativity - 5/5 - A new creature! Haven’t seen something based on coral yet, great idea! The fountain and carapace were both pretty new, and are pretty unique items!

Color Palette - 3/5 - While the colors were vibrant, and the gray was used well, little hue shifting, plus the 29 shades used lost you some points - hue shift for more vibrant coral!

Effort - 8/10 - I could tell a lot of thought has been put into this creature! The stone texturing, though a little faint, made sense due to erosion from underwater currents (it could be more pronounced in some areas) Additionally, while coral is indeed vibrant and multicolored, adding too many colors onto one creature makes it feel a bit out of place, especially under the sea, where everything is drenched in some shade of blue - maybe limit the coral to be one to two colors? The weapons, while pretty good, were really multicolored - it made them feel a bit out of place. Great work! Just some spaces to touch up on!

Final Score: 16/20

SDf

Creativity - 4/5 - Despite it being a crab, the idea of coral on it was pretty unique, and I liked the concept behind it. Also, at the time of writing, I didn’t even think of the boomerang as a sprite able weapon, but here we are! Nice work!

Color Palette - 4/5 - This would be pretty interesting to see underwater - if you can even see it underneath its blue camouflage! 2 colors with hue shift in an 8 color palette, I like it!

Effort - 5/10 - While I have no problem with the sprite idea and look, there’s one major issue I’d like to point out. The sprite, if you remove the coral, and change it to orange, looks almost identical to the crab sprite from in game, coincidence or not. The shading was well executed, but the coral felt a bit stuck on - perhaps it’s just a coincidence, but there was the need to take off points for that… Otherwise, a good submission, just make sure it doesn’t look like a resprite - those typically get disqualified!

Final Score: 13/20

Rankings:

WINNER OF ROUND: TerrorPenguin - 19/20

Giga - 18/20

Huzbubber - 16/20

Melty - 15/20

SDf - 13/20

Eliminated: Pixeroot - 7/20

Pixeroot, I’m sorry to see you go; you can always continue in the rounds and submit some stuff for me to judge - I’d be glad to! Everyone else, get ready for ROUND 2! PROMPT BELOW!

ROUND 2 -

NEW PROMPT BELOW, IGNORE THIS

The arms dealer has become fed up with the pleb guns that he sells. Traveling all over the world, he gathered 2 powerful firearms, and FUSION-HAA’d them into a new, more powerful weapon! To help him get on top of his competition, design a firearm that combines two preexisting guns!

CREATIVITY LIMITER - The product CANNOT be two guns glued together - It must be more than Ctrl C - Ctrl V - Ctrl C - Ctrl V.

HANDICAP - Highest scorers MUST only use guns obtainable from pre-hardmode + cannot use space gun. - This applies to TerrorPenguin

Spriter under this debuff: TerrorPenguin

POINT GAIN OPPORTUNITY - If you are able to merge 3 guns together AND make it look original, you may gain one extra point in this round.

Last edited:
Update: If you all really don't want to do a combination challenge, i can change it to something else - I want this to be fun, and not a chore. So would you guys prefer changing the prompt to something more interesting?

@Giga @TerrorPenguin , Huz, Melty, and SDf?

@Ai - T.a.S.A.I., Regarding what you said about the Whale tail, I was wondering how I should fix that. Is it a problem with the con as being to small? (It was 32 x 32), or is it just a problem with my coloring-skills? Also, I DID look at pictures of whales from real life, and modeled this one after the sperm whale. That’s why it’s a little boxy. Maybe I should’ve mentioned that, maybe not. Thank you so much for the feedback, though. That’s what I entered for, and I do appreciate it! :D

@Ai - T.a.S.A.I., Regarding what you said about the Whale tail, I was wondering how I should fix that. Is it a problem with the con as being to small? (It was 32 x 32), or is it just a problem with my coloring-skills? Also, I DID look at pictures of whales from real life, and modeled this one after the sperm whale. That’s why it’s a little boxy. Maybe I should’ve mentioned that, maybe not. Thank you so much for the feedback, though. That’s what I entered for, and I do appreciate it! :D
It’s just cut off:p unless that’s how you wanted it, then ignore that comment.
[doublepost=1541809481,1541808939][/doublepost]@TerrorPenguin @Giga @Huzbubber Tim @Melty @SDf

UPDATED PROMPT: Create a post moon lord ranged weapon that is an improvement of a prehardmode weapon. (Is this better?)

@TerrorPenguin Your handicap: you MUST include at least 2 lunar fragments

POINT GAIN OPPORTUNITY: MERGE 2 WEAPONS

Last edited:
Spriteathlon PostMoonLord FragmentPHMUpgrade.png
Upgraded phoenix blaster
Vortex and Solar fragments
Every 10-20 seconds or so you can shoot a spread of homing bullets (Like a shotgun, but each bullet shoots in rapid succession), which inflict daybreak for 3 seconds each (With right click)
Would prolly fire 1.5x faster than the phoenix blaster or smth

This is the Vortex Flare Minigun with the Vortex Flare. Upgrade of the Flare Gun.
The Flare Mingun fires faster and with more damage. Here it isFlareFun-2 (4).png

I’m rooting for you, @Huzbubber Tim!
Thanks!

[doublepost=1542306232,1542298179][/doublepost]Ok, I have come with my entry!

The Flare Gun is really fun to play around with really early in the game, but it becomes obsolete so quickly. Harnessing the phantasmal powers of the Moon Lord and the spirits of the dungeon, the player can learn to create a new, powerful weapon. I introduce to you, the Cosmic Flare Buster!

Cosmic Flare Buster.png
(
Flare Buster Palate.png
Palate based off of the Moon Lord's phantasmal attacks)

The Cosmic Flare Buster is crafted using a Flare Gun, Luminite Bars, and Ectoplasm. It uses any kind of flare as ammo. When firing normal or blue flares, the gun will convert them into phantasmal
flares, which home in on enemies and pass through blocks. In addition, there are also 4 new types of flares that it can fire as well, crafted from the lunar fragments:
Solar Flare.png
Solar Flare: Explodes on contact with blocks and enemies and inflicts Daybreak.
Vortex Flare.png
Vortex Flare: Zaps enemies that it is passing close by with short chains of lightning.
Nebula Flare.png
Nebula Flare: Attracts enemies towards itself while flying.
Stardust Flare.png
Stardust Flare: Leaves a trail of stardust behind itself that lingers in the air for a few seconds.

Flare Palate.png
Here's the palate for the base of the flares. The colored parts are the fragment palates.

Last edited:
Ever wanted to be a space cowboy? No? Well let's assume you said yes, because I've got a new toy for all you intergalactic outlaws!
Nebula Sixshooter.png

Hi, Gigavoir here from Totally Legal Weapons Incorporated. I'm pleased to be the first to introduce the Nebula Sixshooter! This powerful revolver doesn't just pack six rounds, no sir. It packs six bullets infused with space magic! Isn't that amazing? I think it is, and you should too. But that's not all, folks! We also put a scope on it! Sure, revolvers are already quite accurate, but now you can duel the county sheriff from the other end of town!
If you buy within twenty minutes of seeing this ad, we'll throw in not one revolver, but two! That's right, two magical, super strong revolvers for the price of one!
Shipping and handling fees included. May not ship to all countries. We are not responsible for anything that happens to you involving this weapon, including but not limited to becoming a wanted outlaw with a massive bounty, a strange addiction to 12 PM, mutations of the body caused by unstable Nebula crystals, and a strong western accent.

EDIT: Why did I write this it's probably one of the dumbest things I've come up with today

Ever wanted to be a space cowboy? No? Well let's assume you said yes, because I've got a new toy for all you intergalactic outlaws!
View attachment 213282
Hi, Gigavoir here from Totally Legal Weapons Incorporated. I'm pleased to be the first to introduce the Nebula Sixshooter! This powerful revolver doesn't just pack six rounds, no sir. It packs six bullets infused with space magic! Isn't that amazing? I think it is, and you should too. But that's not all, folks! We also put a scope on it! Sure, revolvers are already quite accurate, but now you can duel the county sheriff from the other end of town!
If you buy within twenty minutes of seeing this ad, we'll throw in not one revolver, but two! That's right, two magical, super strong revolvers for the price of one!
Shipping and handling fees included. May not ship to all countries. We are not responsible for anything that happens to you involving this weapon, including but not limited to becoming a wanted outlaw with a massive bounty, a strange addiction to 12 PM, mutations of the body caused by unstable Nebula crystals, and a strong western accent.

EDIT: Why did I write this it's probably one of the dumbest things I've come up with today
You could be quite the salesman

View attachment 213282

This is the best thing I’ve seen all day!

This is the best thing I’ve seen all day!
Hey you said you we're rooting for me

[doublepost=1542391916,1542340172][/doublepost]
Midnight Swarm.png

Also, here's my original entry for the original prompt. It's kind of unfinished, but it was a combo of the wasp gun and the onyx blaster. Again, don't judge this one.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom