In-Depth Expert Hardcore Guide *As it Happens*

Hello everyone,

So, I'm not sure what the demand is for this, but, seeing how much I love Expert Hardcore as a challenge, I feel like I want to share the experience with others, and hopefully offer my two cents after countless runs.

I have not currently finished Expert Hardcore, and do recognize this could hurt my credibility, but, I've attained a stage of comfortability, and acknowledge that it is possible to finish the game without dying once. Even having not finished an actual run, my tips and advice for the earlier stages of the game could offer some crucial hints and ideas for how to approach your own playthrough, and interestingly enough, Expert Hardcore becomes a way of playing, and mimics a pattern.

I will be taking this in steps, updating every day (or as frequently as possible) with a few new tips and tricks, ideas, or approaches to Expert Hardcore as a concept. Keep in mind that I'm as far as it gets from an experienced or veteran Terraria player, so, I may miss things here and there.

I'd also like to add that this guide is created using many of the tips and tricks of the almighty @ppowersteef, who has finished a run entirely, proving it is possible.

Please let me know if you have any questions, or advice for writing a guide overall!

Thank you!

Key notes for the guide:

Blue text = Approach (A number of approaches can be taken based on pace, and perception of one's run)

Red text = Serious disclaimer or warning (Expert Hardcore is a no forgiveness mode, and warnings need to be seriously taken into consideration)

Pink text = Advice (It is in your best interest to take it, as it facilitates the game)

Green text = Key progression move (Something really important to ensure your character progresses through Expert Hardcore)

Orange Text =
Good fortune (Will follow up with the benefits of this good fortune)

Grey Text = Poor fortune (Will follow up with how to recover)

This is the beginning. Expert Hardcore means no dying. So, you'll want to follow a number of precautions early on. There are no guarantees, but with some luck, you can do it!

Upon spawn, you'll be located in the forest at the center of your map. Make sure it stays that way for the time being.

The best move early on is scouting both ends of your starting forest, gathering wood and killing a few slimes where possible. Make sure to collect at least 30 - 50 stone as well, as this will be beneficial later on! If surface ore is found, do not overlook it! It is key however that you do not put yourself in situations of peril on the surface. If a fight proves too difficult, just run. This will enable you to get an idea for your surroundings, and assess where your starting base may be located. Hopefully, should you have been lucky, a hill or underpass will have been found, making a great location for chests, and then building a home. Equip what needs to be equipped, but do not dispense of potions or consumables yet!

[The Halloween season also means pumpkin spawns scatter across the forest. Should you start within this period, collect ALL pumpkin found!]

Once you've scouted both ends of your starting forest, head back to the guide, and build a nice base anywhere within the vicinity. This is not the Creation Compendium; "nice" means a design that will protect you, hold chests, and serve as a crafting room for the time being.

Once this is done, you're looking much better. Night will likely have fallen at this point, so just stay safe, and within the boundaries of your home. It is not advised to house the guide the first night.

The first night is a key one, as it allows you to plan your move for the next day. Before that however, make the most of the night to craft better gear. A wooden sword, wooden bow (and arrows obviously), and should you have spare wood, wooden armor will all be indispensable later on.

[Pumpkins provide both armor and the incredibly pumpkin pie. Assess the pumpkin you have at that point, and decide which you'd like to make. (A bit of both is the best compromise)]

Once this is accomplished, you'll be looking much better, and will likely have the endurance to better assess your world the next day. The last move before day comes is to organize your inventory and hotbar. This is crucial, as knowing where potions and equipment is located can be the difference between life and death.

(more to come)

This is just the first day, have some patience. Unless you're a speedrunner, the Water Bolt and Enchanted Sword aren't something you can just get on your second or third days.

I recently completed an expert hardcore run, if you've got any questions I'll see if I can help.

Back
Top Bottom