tModLoader Monster Expert

Gortart

Terrarian
This mod is discontinued. It has too much bugs while it adds very little to the game. Feel free to decompile it and make it better.

Monster expert grants players weaker banner effect that grows as the player kills that enemy.

You can download monster expert from the mod browser.

It is character based bonus.
The bonus starts at 8% of vanilla bonus and maxes out at 80% of vanilla bonus at level 10(lvl up at 50 kills).
The bonus is INDEPENDANT of each other. Each monster has expert level.
This bonus does NOT stack with banners. Banner effect is always stronger than it and will override it.
This bonus DOES work with other custom banners that grant different amount of bonus. (e.g. being expert in DD2 event enemies will NOT grant any bonus)

Changelog

Initial release.
Fixed a typo in the mod description.
Fixed a bug that made melee weapons deal less damage from expert level bonus.
Now players can get expert level in multiplayer. Team member kills also count.
Attemped to fix an array index exception when new mod that adds npcs with banner gets activated.
Attemped to fix an array index exception again. At least enemies with wrong banner index is hittable now.
Fixed a bug.
Added a command to check progress.
Improved above command.
Just use "/monsterexpert" to display every single enemy that you killed at least once.
Use "/monsterexpert [name]" to display every single enemy that has that string in its name(case insensitive).
Finally made it work in multiplayer.
Improved the command so it can search with more than one word.
e.g. You can now search "blue slime" instead of just "blue".

Last edited:
Gotta fix the "at" typo!

upload_2018-11-27_9-25-59.png

The bonus starts at 8% of vanilla bonus and maxes out at 80% of vanilla bonus at level 10(lvl up at 50 kills).
If I'm understanding this correctly, is this a passive bonus to the character itself?

Also, how does this work in the presence of banners?
  • Since they don't stack, which effect takes precedence for a given enemy when its banner is nearby, the mod bonus or the banner effect?
  • If the banner effect takes precedence, does the player still have the mod bonus against non-banner enemies when other enemies' banners are nearby?

The current banner bonus is a 5% damage. So... Does this add an initial 8% damage bonus on top of that constant passive 5% damage bonus? So it's two different calculations?

I'm sure this question is included in the questions asked above, and I'm just rephrasing it in my own way as I'm interpreting it.

Interesting concept though! I was expecting something very different based on the name of the mod.

If I'm understanding this correctly, is this a passive bonus to the character itself?

Also, how does this work in the presence of banners?
  • Since they don't stack, which effect takes precedence for a given enemy when its banner is nearby, the mod bonus or the banner effect?
  • If the banner effect takes precedence, does the player still have the mod bonus against non-banner enemies when other enemies' banners are nearby?
Yes, it is bonus to the player character itself. For example, if a chracter kills 25 blue slimes and goes to an another world and kill 25 more, that character WILL get level 1 expert on blue slime.
Banner completely overrides player bonus.
The bonuses are indepent. Each monster has their own expert level.
The current banner bonus is a 5% damage. So... Does this add an initial 8% damage bonus on top of that constant passive 5% damage bonus? So it's two different calculations?
Banner bonus is 50%/100% bonus damage to the monster and 25%/50% damage reduction from the monster.
8% means it will grant 8% of the original bonus.
E.g. level 1 expert will grant 4%/8% bonus damage and 2%/4% damage reduction.

Hi , I want to say first that this mod is great , but I keep having an issues where only range weapons get that bonus damage while melee weapons actually deal far less damage the more you level up , i tried removing all mods and it still the same : melee weapon deal less damage when u level up and only range deal more damage when u level up , the damage reduction seems to work fine but only melee get a reduction instead of an increase , can you look into it if you have time?(PS magic weapons work the same as ranged , they get an increase not a reduction)

How to check the progress?
Also, Maybe they should be some Global Banners? I mean... this would be cool... maybe crafted from 10 banners? I mean. With 10 Zombie Banner u are able to craft Zombie Global Banner
Or maybe not a banner. maybe some even more cool like i dont know... a Flag? This would be really cool

I don't know which mod it is conflicting with, but after a while of using this eventually Overhaul's console will throw an exception and projectile weapons will stop working on certain enemies.

Also, Maybe they should be some Global Banners? I mean... this would be cool... maybe crafted from 10 banners? I mean. With 10 Zombie Banner u are able to craft Zombie Global Banner
Or maybe not a banner. maybe some even more cool like i dont know... a Flag? This would be really cool
I can't think of a simple way to check progress. Vanilla has 250 banners and modded mobs with banners will make progress very hard to display.
Global banner is what this mod kind of tries to be.
I don't know which mod it is conflicting with, but after a while of using this eventually Overhaul's console will throw an exception and projectile weapons will stop working on certain enemies.
Can you elaborate on it more? Sending me the error log will be very helpful.

Can you elaborate on it more? Sending me the error log will be very helpful.
Sure, but as I said before, it may be a conflict with another mod, since I'm running quite a few.
Code:
System.IndexOutOfRangeException occured in TerrariaOverhaul
Índice fuera de los límites de la matriz.
Stacktrace:
   en MonsterExpert.MyPlayer.OnNPCKill(NPC npc)
   en MonsterExpert.MyGlobalNPC.NPCLoot(NPC npc)
   en Terraria.ModLoader.NPCLoader.NPCLoot(NPC npc)
   en Terraria.NPC.NPCLoot()
   en Terraria.NPC.checkDead()
   en Terraria.NPC.StrikeNPC(Int32 Damage, Single knockBack, Int32 hitDirection, Boolean crit, Boolean noEffect, Boolean fromNet)
   en Terraria.Player.ApplyDamageToNPC(NPC npc, Int32 damage, Single knockback, Int32 direction, Boolean crit)
   en TerrariaOverhaul.OverhaulPlayer.PreUpdate()

Sure, but as I said before, it may be a conflict with another mod, since I'm running quite a few.
Code:
System.IndexOutOfRangeException occured in TerrariaOverhaul
Índice fuera de los límites de la matriz.
Stacktrace:
   en MonsterExpert.MyPlayer.OnNPCKill(NPC npc)
   en MonsterExpert.MyGlobalNPC.NPCLoot(NPC npc)
   en Terraria.ModLoader.NPCLoader.NPCLoot(NPC npc)
   en Terraria.NPC.NPCLoot()
   en Terraria.NPC.checkDead()
   en Terraria.NPC.StrikeNPC(Int32 Damage, Single knockBack, Int32 hitDirection, Boolean crit, Boolean noEffect, Boolean fromNet)
   en Terraria.Player.ApplyDamageToNPC(NPC npc, Int32 damage, Single knockback, Int32 direction, Boolean crit)
   en TerrariaOverhaul.OverhaulPlayer.PreUpdate()
I think one of your mod is adding new enemies after the game is loaded. What mods do you have enabled?

I added a command to check progress.

Back
Top Bottom