Sprites Solar Gun

I've been a Boktai aficionado for a while and never noticed much care for that Sun-based stealth action game, most people forgot it existed and it only ever got referenced in a couple Mega Man Battle Network games and one Metal Gear Solid (I know of, that is). So, here's an idea: The Solar Gun.

How to Obtain
May be dropped from a Vampire as Dark Gun, and can only be cleansed after the Solar Eclipse by using 5 Purification Powder, 10 Sunplate Block and 5 Fallen Stars at a Sky Mill. Attempting to cleanse it before the end of a Solar Eclipse will only result in the Dark Gun no matter what. However during a Blood Moon it may be cleansed properly.

Properties
  • As Dark Gun:
    CyANmyt.png

Ranged
    Base Damage:
    Knockback: Weak
    Critical Chance: 0%
    Possible Modifiers: None
    Use Time: Very Fast
    Velocity: 14 (6 for the projectile?)
    Rarity: 4 - Light Red
    Sell Value: 3G 45S
    No Auto-Fire
    "Mysterious gun cursed by vampire blood. Maybe can be cleansed?"
    Despite the fact it does zero damage, it is capable of pushing enemies back. Unfortunately, the dark energy projectiles fired from it can't produce any effect like triggering a buff, debuff, or special accessory/armor effect. However, once purified...

• As Solar Gun: (Stats separated by slashes are for Solar Gun I, Solar Gun II and Solar Gun III specifically. I'll detail later why)
    KLVYh4i.png

Ranged
    Base Damage: 40 / 80 / 160
    Knockback: Weak / Weak / Average
    Critical Chance: 8% / 10% / 13%
    Possible Modifiers: Any Ranged
    Use Time: Very Fast
    Velocity: 14 (6 for the projectile?)
    Rarity: 6 - Light Purple / 8 - Yellow / 10 - Red
    Sell Value: 4G / 15G / 30G
    No Auto-Fire
    "Gun that perplexes most, but simply converts Sunlight into energy."
    Unlike most guns, it uses its own built-in ammo system, which is obtained by absorbing sunlight or, to a smaller degree, moonlight. By tapping Left Click the player will shoot heated energy projectiles, while holding Right Click will allow them to spray that energy rapidly for a short distance in front of them to repel hordes, however only causing 1/4 of the damage.
Upgrading
Once obtained, the Solar Gun I can be upgraded linearly two times. The first time via Mythril/Orichalcum Anvil with Illegal Gun Parts, 30 Crystal Shards, 12 Hallowed Bars and 10 Souls of Light. The second time it can be upgraded is via Ancient Manipulator with 30 Fallen Stars, 12 Chlorophyte Bars, 5 Diamonds and 5 Mana Crystals.

Mechanic
As long as the Solar Gun I or II is in the inventory a new indicator will show under Health. This indicator, will show one or two rows of suns, using the standard sun sprite. To better exemplify it, I will use the emoji ☀️.

Solar Gun I
☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️ (100%)

Solar Gun II
☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️ (200%)

Solar Gun III
Doesn't require solar energy to shoot, however it displays an efficiency level in the form of a single sun. That efficiency is based solely on the "energy gain multiplier", that will be explained later.

Each time you shoot a normal solar shot, it will consume one sun, however using the solar spray will take two per second, and one sun is required to use the normal shot while the spray requires two.

Thankfully, obtaining that energy comes naturally. Just go to the surface where the sun or moon shines, or near certain light sources. (Multipliers affects the gain per second, as you'll see in moon phases and weathers)
  • Sun: 1% / 0.3 seconds
    • Solar Eclipse -1% / 10 seconds
  • Moon: 1% / 0.8 seconds
    • Full: 1x
    • Gibbous: 0.75x
    • Quarter: 0.5x
    • Crescent: 0.25x
    • New: 0x
      • Full Blood Moon: 2x
      • Frost/Pumpkin Moon: 1.5x
  • Cloudy: 0.8x
  • Light Rain: 0.6x
  • Rain: 0.4x
  • Heavy Rain: 0.2x
  • Sandstorm/Blizzard: 0.1x
  • Most Torches and craftable light sources (requires to be placed to be effective): 1% / 10 seconds
  • Ultrabright Torch (requires to be placed to be effective): 1% / 8 seconds
  • Lava (standing within 3 blocks from a 1 "block" of lava): 1% / 6 seconds
  • Lunar Events: 1% / 0.5 seconds (overrides all others including multipliers, as long as the player is in the range of a Pillar
  • Moon Lord: 0% / second (overrides all others including multipliers, as long as the player is in the range of a Pillar
While the Solar Gun III doesn't use Solar Energy, it does however have its efficiency affected by the multipliers above. Over 1.25x, 20% increased damage. Under 0.75x, 20% DECREASED damage. 2x, 50% increased damage. 0x or less, 50% decreased damage. Doesn't stack, of course, except with equipment and modifiers bonuses.

The Solar Spray's reach is about 1/6th or 1/5th of that of a flamethrower, and does not inflict the On Fire debuff that the flamethrower does, but is visually the same. Meanwhile the Solar Shot and Dark Shot shares the appearance with Terrarian's projectile, with the exception of being black and having red glow for Dark Shot (creating no light but being fully visible) and white with yellow glow for Solar Shot (creates a white light half the radius of that of a common torch).

A little bit of backstory behind this idea:
My original intention was to make a mod for it, but my sheer lack of skill, time, patience (Terraria + Tmod takes long to load, ya), and energy makes it impossible to. I don't have faith it will be taken into consideration or anything, but no harm in trying.

Last edited:
I'm not sure I'd want my Solar Gun completely useless in certian situations like an eclipse. Nor would I want to fight golem about 8 times to get an upgrade to a tool about to be invalidated by the presence of pillars.

Sounds like a great weapon, but waaayyyy too in-depth for an Easter Egg. I feel like its kind of a waste, because you put so much thought into it and created such a cool idea. I guess that's kind if the whole point of suggestions anyway.

How about instead of having the bar get squished under the health bar it be a small meter above the players head showing how much "fuel" is left, seems much less tacky and will only appear when the bar is at less than 100%
Sounds like a great weapon, but waaayyyy too in-depth for an Easter Egg. I feel like its kind of a waste, because you put so much thought into it and created such a cool idea. I guess that's kind if the whole point of suggestions anyway.
Let me simplify:
Vamp drops Dark Gun, does no damage but knocks back with projectiles.
Can be crafted into Solar Gun which sprays and has base damage and has a right-click ability in a spray pattern. unlike the Dark Gun. Uses Solar energy as ammo which is replenished by standing next to most light sources.
See it's not that hard :3
I appreciate he went so in depth, that means he not only cares about it, but it leaves us with not many questions and more tweaking! :)

Last edited:
I think what he means is that it's too complicated for one item, not that he didn't understand it. Really no Terraria items go this in-depth with their functions, and there are 4 tiers of the weapon all sandwiched into late Hardmode.
How about instead of having the bar get squished under the health bar it be a small meter above the players head showing how much "fuel" is left, seems much less tacky and will only appear when the bar is at less than 100%

Let me simplify:
Vamp drops Dark Gun, does no damage but knocks back with projectiles.
Can be crafted into Solar Gun which sprays and has base damage and has a right-click ability in a spray pattern. unlike the Dark Gun. Uses Solar energy as ammo which is replenished by standing next to most light sources.
See it's not that hard :3
I appreciate he went so in depth, that means he not only cares about it, but it leaves us with not many questions and more tweaking! :)
Yeah. Truth be told it would have a better chance of getting in without the extra bar added under the hp bar. But I like that idea - I just don't think it fits too well.

I think what he means is that it's too complicated for one item, not that he didn't understand it. Really no Terraria items go this in-depth with their functions, and there are 4 tiers of the weapon all sandwiched into late Hardmode.
Oh whups, yeah ok, I do agree this weapon would seemingly coming out of nowhere for Terraria.
If anything making this a Ranged Damage weapon that uses Mana to attack would. E pretty unique and I'm sure much easier to code. How about that?

Back
Top Bottom