Weapons & Equip Terra Blade: Ultimate Terrarian Weapon Again (without adding a True variant)

Fortanono 🌳

Retinazer
People hate the Influx Waver and Meowmere and Star Wrath. Why? Because they offend Terraria's lore. While I don't see why people have such hot takes on the matter, I do understand why this is an issue. The Terra Blade is the sword you've been crafting from near the beginning of the game, salvaging pieces from the Eye of Cthulhu up until you can get the Broken Hero Swords to build it. But here's the thing. Even then, it's kinda boring. Night's Edge is an awesome crafting recipe, yes, minus its lack of a Crimtane counterpart. The Excalibur once took a ton to build up, yes, but then alternate ores came the same update as the Terra Blade and they made the crafting boring again. I'm gonna say this flat-out: A True Terra Blade is not the answer.

The answer, is to take the steps we are given in progression, and space out the components a bit more to make it as epic as we say it is. Why don't we begin?

I. Bolt of Zeus, Excalibur and New Swords

So, first off, you can still get the True Night's Edge with a lucky Eclipse post-Mech. You cannot get the True Excalibur this way, however, or even the regular one.

Why not? Well, simple. You go to craft a sword from the pieces of the shattered Skeletron Prime, and... The Excalibur isn't there. Instead, we have a sword with roughly the same stats, but it's tiny, Light's Bane style, and is shaped like a lightning bolt. This is the Bolt of Zeus. Your first crafting component in the Excalibur. Yup, that's right. We're doing a Night's Edge style run for the Excalibur. This'll be fun. Here are your first component's stats, by the way.

Bolt of Zeus
57 melee damage
5 knockback
19 use time (doesn't autoswing)
Crafted with 12 Hallowed Bars instead of the Excalibur

Now how will I turn this, this tiny little stub of a sword, into the Excalibur? Well, simple enough. There are three swords you need to find at different tiers. Y'know how Molten, Necro and Jungle armor, the armor sets for the Night's Edge swords, represent melee, ranged and magic? Well, the same idea applies here.

Beetle Keeper
48 melee damage
9 knockback
21 use time
Releases a barrage of 2-4 non-piercing insane-knockback homing beetles to attack enemies.
Crafting:
  • 6 Beetle Husks
Dream Sickle
65 melee damage
5 knockback
26 use time
Summons a projectile that acts exactly like the Death Sickle's projectile, but stronger.
Crafting:
  • 18 Spectre Bars
Shroom Breaker
175 melee damage
7 knockback
33 use time
Upgrade to the Breaker Blade, with massive range.
Crafting:
  • 10 Shroomite Bars
Talk to me about the OP potential on the last one. Because I know you'll have questions. (Hint: It isn't that useful.) The use time is quite slow, and the range, while big for a sword, is not good for fighting, especially with no projectiles.

You will have to craft all 4 of these together at a Crystal Ball, by the way. I want some sort of special crafting station for it.

II. Getting the Terra Blade

So you get the Excalibur and... I have two options about what would happen next. Let's get into them, shall we?

Option I: Terra Blade is your Final Battle Weapon

This is my preferred option. What would happen is that you get the Excalibur and it's a disappointment. Very much so. No projectiles, but it does have the exact stats of the True Excalibur minus the beam. But you don't want to fight bosses with a sword with no projectile. So smack a Broken Hero Sword onto it, because you are fully able to do that right now! Just go to your Hardmode anvil, and do it.

The Terra Blade, on the other hand, is more complex. No, you don't need the Influx Waver, or Horseman's Blade, or any of that. All you need is (love) the Ancient Manipulator. No other issues, just get it, and as soon as celestial creatures invade, you have the sword of your dreams.

Meowmere and Star Wrath will still overpower it. That's the main problem with this. But I don't think it matters, because now, your Terra Blade took you into the final battle with the Moon Lord, and if you wanna disappoint people, it's a great idea to give them less damage than a blade before it. Otherwise, yeah. Don't. And I am not a proponent of the True Terra Blade stuff. Hence my making of this thread.

Option II: Terra Blade is Post-Moon Lord

This is the idea many people want, but I don't like it because the Terra Blade itself will never see use. What would happen is as follows:

1. Excalibur does have a sword projectile. You can easily fight with it.
2. You craft the True Excalibur at the Ancient Manipulator. It is used to fight Moon Lord.
3. You get the Terrarian from the Moon Lord. Not only is it a yoyo, it's also a gem that fits perfectly into the sword you're forging. Craft it with the other two swords, and you'll get the Terra Blade.
4. You have a Terra Blade! Might need some new functionality other than damage, because the other swords have cooler projectiles.

Here's why I don't like this. One, the Terrarian's amazing on it's own, but it's the only thing that fits from the Moon Lord's drop table. I don't wanna use Luminite or anything. Two, what will you do with the Terra Blade? And three, as I said, it's a straight beam. Might need some improvements to look cooler than the memeswords y'all are crazy about getting rid of.

But I digress. What do you guys think?

Last edited:
I like option 1. I'd love to battle the moon lord with the coolest sword I know. You did confuse me for a moment but I figured it out. Although I like the idea I didn't see a crafting recipe for the, "Bolt of zeus" I'm curious on what it is

I like option 1. I'd love to battle the moon lord with the coolest sword I know. You did confuse me for a moment but I figured it out. Although I like the idea I didn't see a crafting recipe for the, "Bolt of zeus" I'm curious on what it is
Would be the same as the Excalibur is now. 12 Hallowed Bars. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

So it's like the Light's Bane version of the Excalibur.

I like the direction you're going but I'm not a fan of your methods. Making Excalibur the result of a fairly random assortment is inappropriate, and we've seen first-hand that "slow but powerful" melee weapons are for the overwhelming majority worthless in hardmode due to the way Terraria's combat scales (see: most chlorophyte melee weapons).

With that in mind, I have several suggestions that may or may not be used together.

Option 1: Make the Enchanted sword part of either Excalibur, True Excalibur, or the (for lack of a better term) True Terra Blade's crafting recipe. This would add an element of uniqueness and rarity to the item and facilitate your Ancient Manipulator idea, but may also be obnoxious due to RNG reliance.

Option 2: Make 4 out of either the Frostbrand, Cutlass, Keybrand, Seedler, Breaker Blade, or Influx Waiver (this one is basically required for pacing issues) required to craft the True Excalibur, then buff the regular Terra Blade through the :red:ing roof so it becomes a slightly above-average Celestial-tier weapon. This could not only balance out the annoying discrepancies between the Night's Edge and Excalibur (NE requiring swords for its recipe and E requiring hardmode-swords to upgrade), but also allow for the Terra Blade to be more powerful without needing a True Terra Blade.

Option 3: Scrap the current "true" system entirely and gate the Terra Blade behind every unique sword in the game (minus the ones required to create the Night's Edge). This would allow for buffing it up to post-Moonlord stage since it would fit in with the Ankh and Phone and only be a ceremonial item for die-hard collectors.

I had some more concepts but forgot them. @Baconfry I'm assuming you'll want to be part of this discussion.

I like the direction you're going but I'm not a fan of your methods. Making Excalibur the result of a fairly random assortment is inappropriate, and we've seen first-hand that "slow but powerful" melee weapons are for the overwhelming majority worthless in hardmode due to the way Terraria's combat scales (see: most chlorophyte melee weapons).

With that in mind, I have several suggestions that may or may not be used together.

Option 1: Make the Enchanted sword part of either Excalibur, True Excalibur, or the (for lack of a better term) True Terra Blade's crafting recipe. This would add an element of uniqueness and rarity to the item and facilitate your Ancient Manipulator idea, but may also be obnoxious due to RNG reliance.

Option 2: Make 4 out of either the Frostbrand, Cutlass, Keybrand, Seedler, Breaker Blade, or Influx Waiver (this one is basically required for pacing issues) required to craft the True Excalibur, then buff the regular Terra Blade through the :red:ing roof so it becomes a slightly above-average Celestial-tier weapon. This could not only balance out the annoying discrepancies between the Night's Edge and Excalibur (NE requiring swords for its recipe and E requiring hardmode-swords to upgrade), but also allow for the Terra Blade to be more powerful without needing a True Terra Blade.

Option 3: Scrap the current "true" system entirely and gate the Terra Blade behind every unique sword in the game (minus the ones required to create the Night's Edge). This would allow for buffing it up to post-Moonlord stage since it would fit in with the Ankh and Phone and only be a ceremonial item for die-hard collectors.

I had some more concepts but forgot them. @Baconfry I'm assuming you'll want to be part of this discussion.
It's not fairly random. If it was fairly random I wouldn't have added three swords for them. Shroom Breaker could easily have a better gimmick though, I agree. I chose them because they represent melee, ranged and magic tier armors, just like the Night's Edge. To be honest, all three of those weapon tiers could use more uses anyway. But using existent swords might make it more possible to do anyway.

I was gonna buff Terra Blade just like you mentioned. Just didn't show it because I'm not the best with numbers. Options 1 doesn't appeal to me too much; however, a tweaked Option 3 could be done if the swords were done in groups like the Night's Edge was. Just making a massive crafting recipe doesn't seem to fit, but if we throw everything into it? Maybe.

(Also tagging Baconfry is like murdering a suggestion! Why? Haha)

Yeah, I see you, just needed a little time to figure out what I wanted to s-

(Also tagging Baconfry is like murdering a suggestion! Why? Haha)
first of all how dare you

Anyways, I am actually quite fond of the idea of making Excalibur a prestigious weapon again. My main worry is the viability of the component weapons; Shroom Breaker looks very bad on paper, and I don’t think you gave the Bolt of Zeus any redeeming qualities either. That’s quite fixable, though. And I think you have the right idea when it comes to making the components of Excalibur crafted weapons rather than rare drops, though it looks like it’s not entirely free of RNG (Death/Ice Sickle being rare and all).

I don’t like the idea of Terra Blade being a post-Moon Lord weapon, either. Of the options listed, the one I prefer is making the Terra Blade more of a Lunatic Cultist-tier weapon. Then it just comes down to making a new recipe for the Excalibur that makes sense, and it’s there that I see the most room for improvement.

Yeah, I see you, just needed a little time to figure out what I wanted to s-

first of all how dare you

Anyways, I am actually quite fond of the idea of making Excalibur a prestigious weapon again. My main worry is the viability of the component weapons; Shroom Breaker looks very bad on paper, and I don’t think you gave the Bolt of Zeus any redeeming qualities either. That’s quite fixable, though. And I think you have the right idea when it comes to making the components of Excalibur crafted weapons rather than rare drops, though it looks like it’s not entirely free of RNG (Death/Ice Sickle being rare and all).

I don’t like the idea of Terra Blade being a post-Moon Lord weapon, either. Of the options listed, the one I prefer is making the Terra Blade more of a Lunatic Cultist-tier weapon. Then it just comes down to making a new recipe for the Excalibur that makes sense, and it’s there that I see the most room for improvement.
Sorry! I was kidding around. You always have good ideas for suggestions but tear apart bad ones. :p
Shroom Breaker I'll change to something more unique. Ice Sickle would be from Ice Mimics if this went through, at least. Instead of Frostbrand. Just, if it's more powerful than either RNG Sickle without requiring one, I think there's a problem. Bolt of Zeus, I'll see if I could add something, but non-projectile swords are difficult to actually make good, and they only become projectile swords with the True versions. Arkhalis style, perhaps? But then would the Excalibur be a downgrade.

Sorry! I was kidding around. You always have good ideas for suggestions but tear apart bad ones. :p
Shroom Breaker I'll change to something more unique. Ice Sickle would be from Ice Mimics if this went through, at least. Instead of Frostbrand. Just, if it's more powerful than either RNG Sickle without requiring one, I think there's a problem. Bolt of Zeus, I'll see if I could add something, but non-projectile swords are difficult to actually make good, and they only become projectile swords with the True versions. Arkhalis style, perhaps? But then would the Excalibur be a downgrade.
Frankly I'm opposed to using non-sword weapons in these recipes. It doesn't feel right.

Frankly I'm opposed to using non-sword weapons in these recipes. It doesn't feel right.
Ehh. The Dream Sickle works like a sword, but yeah, I see your point. It was for pun value only, really. And considering it throws the Death Sickle off its balance, yeah, we're going to need to replace two of the component swords.

Well, it’s definitely a different direction than what you have written up there, but for the Excalibur I’d like to stick to basic elements, just like with the Night’s Edge. For the Night’s Edge, we used fire, water, grass, and darkness. For Excalibur, we could either use that same assortment of elements or an entirely different set consisting of wind, light, electricity, and ice, with entirely original swords to represent each (except the Frostbrand).

These are just my ideas of what would be cool and maybe a bit more thematically appropriate. I find it hard to imagine the Holy Sword Excalibur being crafted from a sword made of beetles and bees, and another one made of mushrooms. There’s no need to stick too close to the mould, you know?

I have an idea. What if instead of using a bunch of new weapons to make Excalibur, it just uses the 1.1 recipe (accounting for alternate ores, of course) with Hallowed Bars replacing Souls of Might? The gap of time given between the True weapons and the Terra Blade also gives the aforementioned pair of weapons actual usage.
Additionally, the problem of a crimson alt for Night's Edge isn't really a problem; the Dark Lance and Demon Scythe share its color scheme and theme.
Also, final battle weapon would work amazingly as it would still be postgame class with Legendary applied, kind of like how a Legendary Night's Edge is/was at least on par with a regular Excalibur.

Besides all that, all my support, Influx Waver must learn its place.

Very well thought out suggestion! I like the general idea but right now it's late at night and I'm too tired to fully process it lol. Everyone in the thread also seems to have some great thoughts on it. Keep it up, guys! :D

So, for this sword, you go through a lot of grinding, but let's discuss specifically what.

1. Killing queen bee approximately 7 times
2. Killing WOF approximately 7 times
3. A platinum or two
4. 225 glowing mushrooms
5. 36 chlorophyte bars
6. 9 ectoplasm
7. An hour of ice-ice-grinding
8. EOC or EOW
9. Hellstone
10. Obsidian

Now, if I haven't been grinding for swords the entire game, what unchallenging grind does this make for me?

1. Hellstone
2. Obsidian
3. Killing WOF approximately 6 times
4. Killing QB approximately 6 times
5. A platinum or 2
6. 225 glowing mushrooms
7. An hour of ice grinding
8. EOC or EOW

Assuming neither of us like unchallenging grinding, that's why I think it's bad.

So, for this sword, you go through a lot of grinding, but let's discuss specifically what.

1. Killing queen bee approximately 7 times
2. Killing WOF approximately 7 times
3. A platinum or two
4. 225 glowing mushrooms
5. 36 chlorophyte bars
6. 9 ectoplasm
7. An hour of ice-ice-grinding
8. EOC or EOW
9. Hellstone
10. Obsidian

Now, if I haven't been grinding for swords the entire game, what unchallenging grind does this make for me?

1. Hellstone
2. Obsidian
3. Killing WOF approximately 6 times
4. Killing QB approximately 6 times
5. A platinum or 2
6. 225 glowing mushrooms
7. An hour of ice grinding
8. EOC or EOW

Assuming neither of us like unchallenging grinding, that's why I think it's bad.
I'll edit out the Keeper, Breaker Blade and Ice Sickle cause those are the worst offenders. The next worst would be the Shroomite, which I'm keeping but will lower the bar count. Thanks for the feedback, because it actually does matter and makes sense. I do think it should have a ton of components, but maybe a little less.

Back
Top Bottom