Game Mechanics Better animations for holding weapons? (And a little bit of touch ups and other stuff.)

Should all of this be added?

• Yes, all of them!

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • No, none of them.

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Only the top section

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Only the bottom section

• Only one of them. (Comment down

• Total voters

WyattRodebaugh

Official Terrarian
In Terraria, we kinda have a poor animation to using items or holding items I thought we could have a little cool animation every time we use a specific weapon? (there are so many different types of weapons that I actually have to stop drawing.) Well lets get into this!
Very light weapons:
Very light weapons include copper shortswords and broadswords. But some weapons are light and they are big so here is what it looks like when you hold a light weapon.
upload_2018-12-29_15-18-21.png
if you don't know what he is doing, he is holding a copper shortsword up to his left chest. Light swords let you run, jump and fly normally.
Extremely heavy weapons:
Extremely heavy weapons include Flying Dragon and True Night's Edge. (I forgot to mention that there is more than just those weapons.)
upload_2018-12-29_15-18-52.png
This player is holding a breaker blade. Its so heavy and big that he just drags it! Yes, these types of weapons decrease speed, Jump height and flying duration and TON so take to account when using these weapons.
Average weapons:
These weapons include Iceblade and Muramasa.
Sorry I don't have a picture for this player but he is suppose to be holding a Night's Edge on his shoulder. Well, the blade is on the shoulder. Yes this does decrease speed, Jump height and flying duration but only by a bit. So these weapons are fine to use.
Knife sized weapons:
These weapons don't decrease anything at all. All of these knife sized weapons have the same look with the animation except the scissors. Also, holding a knife sized weapon will allow you to sneak, no enemy or critter will see you so you can sneak attack any player and do tons of damage. Note that your first stab will alert the enemy or critter that you are behind them.
upload_2018-12-29_15-24-27.png
If you can see, he his holding the knife up to his left chest but he is using his right arm and not both.
Bomb sized weapons:
These weapons include yoyos and other bomb sized items you find. Bombs will actually tick in your head so don't hold a bomb for so long. (sticky bombs will stick to your hands randomly. they have a 50/50% of sticking to your hand, so keep clicking!)
upload_2018-12-29_15-28-33.png

Yes, it looks like his hand but it is a yo-yo.
Trident type weapons:
This does decrease speed, jump height and flying duration but not as much as Breaker blade sized weapons.
upload_2018-12-29_15-31-22.png

So this is the end of the animation for the weapons. Now lets move on!
When zombies have half hp, they will either loose their head, loose an arm, loose an leg or get cut from left to right of their bodies. Loosing a head will make them not go after you so they don't know where they are going, loosing an arm affects expert mode mostly so they loose their arm with a handheld weapon but it can stop a zombie from hitting you or hitting you very fast but it could be their right arm or left arm, and this same goes for zombies with no leg, they run slower than most zombies but they can jump higher and finally, the zombie whose top part of body is disconnected from the bottom, They will crawl making them slower than legless zombies. Loosing the body parts all depend from what weapon the player is using. shortswords have a better chance to cut off the legs and arms and even make a huge hole in the heart or stomach while the broadswords can cut off the head easily. Projectiles will also rip holes through the stomach or heart.

Slimes now split to 2 mini slimes at half hp because you know they are like jello in real life.

Enemies that are hard or harder than a bone will not get cut into pieces.

Harpies will have a really rare chance of dropping their wings. If you do get the wings before hardmode it will say "this item is cursed." Similar to obtaining a key before plantera.

Mushroom hats look more like the truffle's mushroom hat.

Whelp, that's the end. Hope you all enjoyed this presentation and have a good day! Peace!

Attachments

• upload_2018-12-29_15-3-27.png
    upload_2018-12-29_15-3-27.png
    895 bytes · Views: 115
  • upload_2018-12-29_15-10-37.png
    upload_2018-12-29_15-10-37.png
    972 bytes · Views: 127
  • upload_2018-12-29_15-28-12.png
    upload_2018-12-29_15-28-12.png
    901 bytes · Views: 119
Yes, these types of weapons decrease speed, Jump height and flying duration and TON so take to account when using these weapons.
This part worries me. This would mess with balance more than it should. Weapons like the Breaker Blade are already mediocre because of their slow speed. Debuffing them further would essentially phase them out of any practicable viability. Having weapons that are large and heavy are emulated well enough by the slow swing speed they usually boot.

Why wont you guys like to see somebody dragging their sword on the ground? I think its pretty cool! but again, I'm the child here.
Even if a breaker blade is heavy, you could fly away without holding it and we could buff up its damage to 43 and the wiki says it can hit multiple enemies like a trident but AGAIN, I'm the child here

Don’t see why we need this, would need tons of spriting to do all of them, and some people may not like their weapon being held in their hands while they flying.

In Terraria, we kinda have a poor animation to using items or holding items I thought we could have a little cool animation every time we use a specific weapon? (there are so many different types of weapons that I actually have to stop drawing.) Well lets get into this!
Very light weapons:
Very light weapons include copper shortswords and broadswords. But some weapons are light and they are big so here is what it looks like when you hold a light weapon.
View attachment 214863 if you don't know what he is doing, he is holding a copper shortsword up to his left chest. Light swords let you run, jump and fly normally.
Extremely heavy weapons:
Extremely heavy weapons include Flying Dragon and True Night's Edge. (I forgot to mention that there is more than just those weapons.)
View attachment 214864 This player is holding a breaker blade. Its so heavy and big that he just drags it! Yes, these types of weapons decrease speed, Jump height and flying duration and TON so take to account when using these weapons.
Average weapons:
These weapons include Iceblade and Muramasa.
Sorry I don't have a picture for this player but he is suppose to be holding a Night's Edge on his shoulder. Well, the blade is on the shoulder. Yes this does decrease speed, Jump height and flying duration but only by a bit. So these weapons are fine to use.
Knife sized weapons:
These weapons don't decrease anything at all. All of these knife sized weapons have the same look with the animation except the scissors. Also, holding a knife sized weapon will allow you to sneak, no enemy or critter will see you so you can sneak attack any player and do tons of damage. Note that your first stab will alert the enemy or critter that you are behind them.
View attachment 214865 If you can see, he his holding the knife up to his left chest but he is using his right arm and not both.
Bomb sized weapons:
These weapons include yoyos and other bomb sized items you find. Bombs will actually tick in your head so don't hold a bomb for so long. (sticky bombs will stick to your hands randomly. they have a 50/50% of sticking to your hand, so keep clicking!)
View attachment 214867
Yes, it looks like his hand but it is a yo-yo.
Trident type weapons:
This does decrease speed, jump height and flying duration but not as much as Breaker blade sized weapons.
View attachment 214868
So this is the end of the animation for the weapons. Now lets move on!
When zombies have half hp, they will either loose their head, loose an arm, loose an leg or get cut from left to right of their bodies. Loosing a head will make them not go after you so they don't know where they are going, loosing an arm affects expert mode mostly so they loose their arm with a handheld weapon but it can stop a zombie from hitting you or hitting you very fast but it could be their right arm or left arm, and this same goes for zombies with no leg, they run slower than most zombies but they can jump higher and finally, the zombie whose top part of body is disconnected from the bottom, They will crawl making them slower than legless zombies. Loosing the body parts all depend from what weapon the player is using. shortswords have a better chance to cut off the legs and arms and even make a huge hole in the heart or stomach while the broadswords can cut off the head easily. Projectiles will also rip holes through the stomach or heart.

Slimes now split to 2 mini slimes at half hp because you know they are like jello in real life.

Enemies that are hard or harder than a bone will not get cut into pieces.

Harpies will have a really rare chance of dropping their wings. If you do get the wings before hardmode it will say "this item is cursed." Similar to obtaining a key before plantera.

Mushroom hats look more like the truffle's mushroom hat.

Whelp, that's the end. Hope you all enjoyed this presentation and have a good day! Peace!

This is a very interesting idea. I think it would be good for a mod, but definitely not vanilla. Weapons are already balanced as they are, they're perfect the way they are. Yes some people may argue against me but I'm speaking majority if the people.

1.3.6 is adding the ability to sit on chairs and couches. I think terraria needs a bit more mobs, blocks, bosses, ores, weapons and items. Well lets get back to the point of this thread. That is a discussion for something else.
I very highly disagree with all of this, I personally feel like Terraria has had it's fair share of major updates. It's not simple making big updates like Terraria, like when 1.3 added something like 1k items and added like, a lot of bosses. I think what Terraria developers are trying to work on the small things now, because that's what people mainly appreciate. I also barely see any room for more ores. Don't get discouraged though. The ideas you propose could make a very great mod!

This is a very interesting idea. I think it would be good for a mod, but definitely not vanilla. Weapons are already balanced as they are, they're perfect the way they are. Yes some people may argue against me but I'm speaking majority if the people.

I very highly disagree with all of this, I personally feel like Terraria has had it's fair share of major updates. It's not simple making big updates like Terraria, like when 1.3 added something like 1k items and added like, a lot of bosses. I think what Terraria developers are trying to work on the small things now, because that's what people mainly appreciate. I also barely see any room for more ores. Don't get discouraged though. The ideas you propose could make a very great mod!
But there is a thread section of blocks, mobs, bosses, decoration and what not. Bosses are big things! And we appreciate big stuff more than the little touches.

Back
Top Bottom