Biomes & Nature [EXPERT MODE] Corruption/Crimson/Hallow can spread through placed/living wood and stone brick/slab

Zekeram12

Queen Bee
Exactly what it says on the tin. Think about it, the biomes can already spread through regular trees and regular stone, how is it resistant if it's blocks or bricks/slab? I'd imagine this would be Expert exclusive, it'd probably be too much for Normal.

As one would assume, when converted, wood would change to its counterpart for that particular biome, and for living wood it would become living ebon/shade/pearl wood. Stone bricks would become ebon/crim/pearl stone bricks, and the same would work with slabs.

Of course, you could also craft the pearl/ebon/crim stone bricks/slabs the same way you'd craft regular bricks and slab, so the materials aren't expert exclusive. However, they will spread the biome in question, so be careful.

Last edited:
That's the point. You shouldn't be able to block something that can convert trees and stone using wood or stone bricks/slab. That's why it's Expert Mode-exclusive.
Yes, I should. The Corruption shouldn't be made harder to control by giving it more ways to spread across the map. If I wish to cheaply block it then I should be fully able to do so with cheap materials because the world of Terraria is mine. I don't want the entire world becoming Corrupt or Hallow, nor do I want my house to become a different block for the sake of inconvenience. What if I don't want an Evil Wood house? I just want a normal wood one.

Like Jetstream said, this is a negative change and it would leave many unhappy.

Yes, I should. The Corruption shouldn't be made harder to control by giving it more ways to spread across the map. If I wish to cheaply block it then I should be fully able to do so with cheap materials because the world of Terraria is mine. I don't want the entire world becoming Corrupt or Hallow, nor do I want my house to become a different block for the sake of inconvenience. What if I don't want an Evil Wood house? I just want a normal wood one.

Like Jetstream said, this is a negative change and it would leave many unhappy.
You could use something else like a different kind of block, like red/ore bricks, or granite/marble. There are more options than just wood or stone. And again, it's expert Hardmode being talked about here. Plus, converted woods and stone bricks/slabs could be purified like any block that's converted.

Again, what if I don't want my house to be turned into a different block style? Changing the aforementioned properties of blocks won't be a great idea, and will simply contribute very little, if anything, to the experience to the game. Essentially, blocks placed like that should not be affected by the evil biomes. Only natural blocks such as grass and stone should be affected anyways.

Again, what if I don't want my house to be turned into a different block style? Changing the aforementioned properties of blocks won't be a great idea, and will simply contribute very little, if anything, to the experience to the game. Essentially, blocks placed like that should not be affected by the evil biomes. Only natural blocks such as grass and stone should be affected anyways.
It is Expert Mode. It's not supposed to back down on difficulty. However, I do see your point.

While I don't dispute that fact, making those blocks get converted isn't exactly the direction of difficulty the mode aims to place on the player. It buffs the enemies and alters some biome quirks. This would be a sensible change if it altered the frequency and speed of which the biomes spread. Forcing them to spread to these blocks would just seem out of place and uncalled for. Again, it is best to force them to stick to spreading to natural, pure blocks like sand, stone, and grass.

Again, it is best to force them to stick to spreading to natural, pure blocks like sand, stone, and grass.
The only difference with placed wood is that it's technically dead, and so is stone anyway. Stone bricks and slabs are just stone but chiseled. Though if we are to assume that doesn't count, then why doesn't living wood apply? Expert mode, as you said, alters biome quirks. Additionally, like I said, converted bricks, slabs, and wood blocks can be purified with whatever purifier you have on hand. The idea of Expert Mode is that everything is more powerful. It would make sense if that idea "spread" to the evil/Hallow, if you'll excuse the bad pun.
I'd like to stress that this would NOT carry over to Normal Mode, so it'd be the same thing in that.

Terraria has a very strong building aspect and one of the main features of the game is allowing you to build whatever you want. Making it so that someone can't use a certain building material restricts how creative one can be. Additionally, I, personally, think the idea of Expert mode is to make the game more difficult. Making the corruption spread easier doesn't make the game harder, it just makes it tedious and annoying.

The Spreading has never been a "difficult" mechanic. Just an annoying one. If we look back throughout the years the only changes made to it have been to decrease the severity of the Spread (Clentaminator, Corruptor Nerf, Slow post-Plantera Spread). It's barely tolerable as is and is in desperate need of another nerf with the poor Jungle being so vulnerable for so many years without alteration.

Technically the C/C/H doesn't spread through trees. It converts the grass under the tree and the tree's form is decided based on the grass/block it's planted on. (Correct me if I am wrong please.) Trees themselves can't spread the C/C/H, neither can wood. A lot of players make simple buildings with wood or basic bricks and may even use these as a containment measure. I don't think forcing players to find something more complex to build and contain with would be appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom