Terraria and it's popularity (also how it stacks against another game)

Will we ever get more sales than the mentioned game?

• Nah, let's be respectful to other games :P

Votes: 10 58.8%
  • No way, we'll never be as popular

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • YES. WE ARE NUMBER ONE!

Votes: 7 41.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Arcadia

Official Terrarian
We all know that Terraria is popular, but did you know it's only roughly 7 million games away from being the most downloaded game on the PC? Yes, this game is so well known that I met a couple of people irl who know this certain game. However, I did say 7 million games away, and it's the second most popular game on the PC. So, what game...
  • Had a crossover with Terraria?
  • Is of a similar genre,
  • Got the most downloaded on PC?
Sales Figures.PNG
Yes, Minecraft. While I wont dwell too long on this Topic, I do want to say that there are reasons why Minecraft is more popular :

actual advertisements on Youtube,
the fact that it's accessible to almost everyone,
and it has a certain convention dedicated to this game.

It's obvious, and you've seen it everywhere. The crossover I was talking about? One splash message of Minecraft is "Also Try Terraria!" and vice versa. However, the community is mostly children, as there are popular youtubers catering to those kids. As such, the kids don't ask their parents to buy Terraria, as they know it's rated T. Also, it was acquired by Microsoft, thus making this particular Indie Game the first of it's kind. And to finish this section off, they recently did an update where the Windows 10 Edition, Gear VR, XBone, Nintendo Switch, and Mobile (Android/IOS) editions will be unified as a cross-platform game.
Minecraft is king. Don't deny it.

If you haven't looked at the spoiler, it's ok. We will talk about merchandising and advertisements, which there are barely any advertisements for Terraria. However, there are some toys and plushes for Terraria, which I actually saw at Barnes & Noble. There are a few action figurines far and between, but I feel like it should be that way.

And finally, I want to talk about the people who play the game. Using SteamSpy, I can see that the game is regularly being used, however I see that the community isn't that active compared to other games. While there are forums, Reddits, and Discords, Terraria gets drowned out by other games, PC or not. We are a quiet community and I like that, however I think we can raise our voices more. To be a popular game, we need new people coming in, as not that many people speak out to the outsiders. We are Terrarians!

Oh, and thank the Moon Lord we have Yrimir back, he is our voice.

Plus The terraria community is more mature because like you said, tons of kids play minecraft. I havn't seen a single user under 13 on this forum. Terraria is more complicated (for which the digging alone would confuse younguns) and well, the rating. The rating does make it sound worse than it actually is, I mean rated T for gore and alcahol? Yeah, cause no kids have heard of pirates (cause the only alcahol is ale) and the gore? It is litterally only on zombies, critters, E&BoC, The twins, and the WoF. And since the aforementioned game is HEAVILY advertised and shoved down our throats I doubt terraria will ever get bigger then it.

Plus The terraria community is more mature because like you said, tons of kids play minecraft. I havn't seen a single user under 13 on this forum. Terraria is more complicated (for which the digging alone would confuse younguns) and well, the rating. The rating does make it sound worse than it actually is, I mean rated T for gore and alcahol? Yeah, cause no kids have heard of pirates (cause the only alcahol is ale) and the gore? It is litterally only on zombies, critters, E&BoC, The twins, and the WoF. And since the aforementioned game is HEAVILY advertised and shoved down our throats I doubt terraria will ever get bigger then it.

True. While kids shy away from Terraria because of what it contains, they would rather play something like Call of Duty because realistic gore is better than pixelated gore...

Also, Minecraft is a good game on its own merits (especially Java edition), but I believe it is time that we say NO to Microsoft and their corporate tactics. I mean, Minecraft Story Mode Season 2, Minecraft New 3DS Edition, and what else? Oh right, the fact that I see toys in literally every. Single. Store.

Kids are getting too sugarcoated nowadays, with the difficulty in newer games being lowered, Cartoon Network showing too much Teen Titans Go (a sappy cartoon nobody older than the age of 13 like), and even kid-friendly Minecraft Youtuber channels being popular for no reason or effort. Me personally, Terraria was that sweet spot that I really loved, with no hamfisted themes, easiness being nonexistent, and being a generally more mature game.

You're right on the fact that Terraria may never get bigger than Minecraft, but I accept that. We don't want someone like Pewdiepie exposing us to younger children, right?

My two cents:

Minecraft is a spectacular game. I loved building in it. But the combat leaves much to be desired which is what brought me here. Went from battle snoozing to "When will the barrage stop?".

As far as playability I'd say Minecraft is rated G.

But I think that this is part of what makes Terraria Terraria, the combat.

Thank you guys for coming to my thread.

I do think that Terraria, with a bit of childproofing, could be 100% child friendly. But it's one of those instances like the Family Friendly GTA Mod : It ruins the fun of what the game has to offer. GTA was meant to be a violent game, and kids play it for the cars and guns. If all the guns and adult references in Terraria were removed, it would basically ruin the fun of the game : adventure. I don't really mind the T rating, and I also only disable gore if I'm farming. But if Relogic babyproofed the game to the point of it being made for everyone, then I would just call it Minecraft 2 : Electric Boogaloo.

Thank god that didn't happen!

I wouldn't think you would need to take out the adult references, since there usually subtle enough so that most younguns wouldnt pick up on'em. But yes child proofing Terraria would just be
1. Critters
2. Building
3. Bubble gun
And that does not sound fun.

We all know that Terraria is popular, but did you know it's only roughly 7 million games away from being the most downloaded game on the PC? Yes, this game is so well known that I met a couple of people irl who know this certain game. However, I did say 7 million games away, and it's the second most popular game on the PC. So, what game...
  • Had a crossover with Terraria?
  • Is of a similar genre,
  • Got the most downloaded on PC?
View attachment 183192
Yes, Minecraft. While I wont dwell too long on this Topic, I do want to say that there are reasons why Minecraft is more popular :

actual advertisements on Youtube,
the fact that it's accessible to almost everyone,
and it has a certain convention dedicated to this game.

It's obvious, and you've seen it everywhere. The crossover I was talking about? One splash message of Minecraft is "Also Try Terraria!" and vice versa. However, the community is mostly children, as there are popular youtubers catering to those kids. As such, the kids don't ask their parents to buy Terraria, as they know it's rated T. Also, it was acquired by Microsoft, thus making this particular Indie Game the first of it's kind. And to finish this section off, they recently did an update where the Windows 10 Edition, Gear VR, XBone, Nintendo Switch, and Mobile (Android/IOS) editions will be unified as a cross-platform game.
Minecraft is king. Don't deny it.

If you haven't looked at the spoiler, it's ok. We will talk about merchandising and advertisements, which there are barely any advertisements for Terraria. However, there are some toys and plushes for Terraria, which I actually saw at Barnes & Noble. There are a few action figurines far and between, but I feel like it should be that way.

And finally, I want to talk about the people who play the game. Using SteamSpy, I can see that the game is regularly being used, however I see that the community isn't that active compared to other games. While there are forums, Reddits, and Discords, Terraria gets drowned out by other games, PC or not. We are a quiet community and I like that, however I think we can raise our voices more. To be a popular game, we need new people coming in, as not that many people speak out to the outsiders. We are Terrarians!

Oh, and thank the Moon Lord we have Yrimir back, he is our voice.

Hello, I have a good idea for a new crossover event. This is:

A crossover with the game "Risk of Rain", which is very popular.
This event would start like the fallen ship as happens in the game, a message appears in the screen saying that you have to go to the crashlanded ship in a random place on the surface of the map. Once you arrive to the ship, you have to wait between 3-5 days of Terraria and you will see an NPC (the Commando in "Risk of Rain") teleporting near the center of the map fighting with enemies of that game and the NPC will ask your help to defeat a boss and so he can return to his planet.

After finishing the event he will return to our world like the Travelling Merchant, to sell us special items (weapons, armours, accesories) of the game.

Right when i saw minecraft was king in the spoiler i just scroll down and wanted to write this "Screw Minecraft It Will Never Be Better Than Terraria, Terraria is #1, To Hell With Minecraft It is Boring As :red:". Thx for taking the time to read what i think of "Minecraft" and why I don't like it.

If terraria wasn't pegi 12....
Hi guys, Ali A here, and today were going to be playing Terraria.
Me: Thank you, pipeworks for the 12+ rating

Reasons why minecraft is better than terraria:

-3d (although that's not a very good reason)
-Infinite worlds

Reasons why terraria is better than minecraft:

-More enemies
-Combat is very good whereas minecaft is the worst thing ever
-Actual decent bosses
-More armors
-Accessories and wings
-More Biome diversity
-Town NPCs are more diverse and sell more stuff than villagers
-More blocks
-Minecraft weapons are instantly outclassed by terraria
-More Tools
-Better movement
-Modded content is amazing in terraria, whereas in minecraft it is sub-par at best
-More power, more fun
-Vanity sets
-Better textures
-Actually difficult
-Expert mode
-Very replayable
-The community is bearable
-Weapon diversity
-Pets, Light Pets and Mounts
-Hooks
-Events
-User-friendly

Need I go on?

Both games offer different experiences that are too far apart to compare. Minecraft is an open world sandbox while Terraria is sandbox but more focused on combat. I think Minecraft is a better sandbox while Terraria is a better combat game. Overall I prefer Terraria because I often get bored in minecraft

I've made my return, and now I have something to say...
That Minecraft VS Terraria rap sounds nice, but it doesn't hold up on one single line...

Minecraft : "While in your game you can't even mod"

That was an actual argument made in 2015. You know, thanks to BlushieMagic (and some previous, experimental Modding APIs) we have mods, and with mods I have my favorite thing to hang around in... Calamity.
To be fair, Minecraft's Modding Community is more quiet, more meek when compared to the hype that was the Aquatic Update. While this also applies to Terraria, I think that nowadays Modding Terraria is quite the hip thing to do. Lemme post my reasons for why Terraria's Modding Community is flawed, but also Minecrafts

Terraria tModLoader Pros
  • There are more popular discords for Terraria Mods, thus allowing the general population of Terraria to get involved more.
  • Programming a mod is very easy, and if you put the time and effort into a mod, you can make it popular.
  • Terraria Modding actually brings more qualities to the game that make it even better, such as Calamity's craftable accessories, or Thorium's vanilla feeling.
  • tModLoader actually holds a sword against Minecraft Forge because you can download mods off the browser IN-GAME, and you can join a server and sync mods

Terraria tModLoader Cons
  • The community is even worse than I expected. While there are some good apples here and there, the general basis of the community is MEMES. Heck, Fabsol (the creator of Calamity Mod) almost stopped workin at multiple points because the community hates him
  • Going back to the "easily made mods", there is SO much junk in the mod browser because there are people who don't put effort into their easily-compiled mods
  • Well, tModLoader isn't really built for Multiplayer. I had to make a multiplayer server where no bosses are fought because they are so buggy (especially Calamity)
Minecraft Forge Pros
  • There are some REALLY good mods that have so much unique content, it makes me cry
  • Multiplayer is good (for the most part)
Minecraft Forge Cons
  • You have to download mods from the Internet, which can sometimes bring fake downloads and viruses
  • Modders actually quit modding because the game updated too much. Yes, that means changing the source code of the game so Modders can't follow in suit
  • It is sort-of hard to program Java, and when I have to use another mod to make models because an old minecraft modeling program got shut down, that isn't good...

So there you have it. Again, Terraria Mods go on top, but this time just barely. I just wish the two communities could get along again... :dryadcry:

In my logic set minecraft is better than terraria and if you press me on it I will give you bits and pieces of information, most of it out of context.

I mean, Terraria feels limiting sometimes, with a small world and all.
And Minecraft is mostly for your imagination to run wild.
But, I can't see myself playing Minecraft too much because my imagination relies on mods, and it gets messy...

Does this prove how intellegent I actually am ? I was able to understand everything in Terraria since 11 (P.S I'm just throwing a weird joke and btw I'm still 13)

And about Minecraft I literally rage quit so many times cuz of toxic community and don't say single player I sondo like being lonely while in Terraria community is so friendly and funny (like the top Terraria guide on steam "how to kill a zombie") except calamity discord server's community people don't appreciate anything there they just complain and some mods abuse and random ban

Back
Top Bottom