tModLoader Calamity Mod

What would you like me to create more of?

• NPCs (enemies, house NPCs, etc.)

Votes: 1,170 19.5%
  • Bosses

Votes: 2,450 40.8%
  • Items (Accessories, Weapons, etc.)

Votes: 1,583 26.3%
  • Vanity (furniture, armor sets, etc.)

Votes: 438 7.3%
  • Mineable Stuff (Ores, Blocks, etc.)

Votes: 372 6.2%

• Total voters
Look, the mod started with a guy who wanted to make a post moonlord worm boss, and it turned into this.
Fabsol started it, and he's intent on finishing it, I have faith it'll work out.

As for sacrificing music well... We saw this coming. I was one of the voices who fathomed the idea. A cut had to be made and this was the obvious choice. The music is still there, it's just, not there entirely.

Also, I liked the abyss, I thought it was a neat take on a feature only done by a different mod. And alot of crafting items you need to make gear can ONLY be found in the abyss, there's no way you can just take that out of the picture entirely.
I get it's annoying biome and I honestly don't spent alot of my time in it either, but it's still worth being in the mod.

The planetoids, yeah, not so much. But again, what's done is done.
They used to serve a far better purpose in an eariler version, back when they were first introduced.

Fabsol is also taking every measure, as pointed out by @ARTEZUI before me to give as much credit as possible to Dokuro and promote his music as much as possible. Because Fabsol is grateful that such a wonderful composer has sacrificed an income source for his mod. Dokuro could have just stopped making music for Calamity at that point, but he didn't, he even made several tracks that will never be in the mod too.
Because again, Fabsol is greatful, unlike you. That, while seperated for now, great music, alongside a great mod.

Last edited:
Piss Ocean
Well, we've got the Piss Ocean. That's big; it's a big player-killing waste of time except for two items [...] the Piss Ocean has its own special tryhard mechanics that cause the player to lose breath anyway.

The Piss Ocean also contains notable enemies such as the Mauler Shark and the Scourge, both of which appear pre-hardmode and can be killed pre-hardmode, but don't offer rewards until hardmode. [...] Why does this enemy, which appears at the very start of the game, not drop anything useful until I'm fighting DoG?
The Abyss is just unique in it's own mechanics. You lose your oxygen faster due to water pressure. That's logical. And it's a reference to Subnautica. The thing is: You just don't want to build the proper diving gear. Which is up to you, of course. But the opportunity to properly explore it and to defeat the enemies inside it is given to you. You can even cheese the Abyss by making yourself a few breathing gaps. There is no problem with this mechanic.

Nonetheless, I agree with one or two thing here. No unique drops from those hard enemies until a certain point of the game. I agree, this is frustrating and makes the existence of these enemies useless up to that point. I would say it would be great if enemies like the Mauler shark would drop weapons that scale up to post ML. Just a general thought. I also agree that the Abyss' significance is sort of lost. You can go in there, you can grab a lot of good equipment and weapons and kill a few admittedly hard enemies. But honestly, the Abyss needs something. Like a boss. A proper boss.

As for the Sky Clutter, Planetoids make a few things easier, such as getting ores or grabbing items. Which is totally fine in my book. I see no issue here.

As for the post ML bosses... What else do you want? I semi-Agree with the bullet hell aspect. I do love bullet hell games but it kinda doesn't fit in a game like Terraria where your movement is partially obstructed. Obstructed is the wrong word. Let's say aspects like Gravity and lack of collision for projectiles make it sort of harder than it should be. In a space shooter, you have usually free movement without anything that pulls or pushes you.

Overall... I don't know what your issues are. Calamity Biome is a small biome which's existence is justified imo. And the Rogue class... we will see where that goes.

You just don't want to build the proper diving gear.
To build the proper diving gear, you have to fight enemies in the Abyss and search through the chests there, meaning you have to explore the Abyss so that you can build the gear that lets you safely explore the Abyss. By the time you have all the materials needed to make the gear, you've already stripped the place bare of its value. You have the siren pet and the teardrop and you don't need to go back down there.

The drops provided by the lower level monsters are inferior to equipment that's already available, or it has drawbacks that make it not worth using.

Fabsol is greatful, unlike you.
I don't get that impression. It's more like Fabsol feels greater attachment to aspects of the mod he feels ownership of. He didn't want to make a separate Subnautica mod because it's a weak concept for Terraria and wouldn't perform well independently, but he wont't cut it from Calamity because it's his. Same for Planetoids. Instead he cuts Dokoro because Fabsol doesn't feel that same sense of ownership towards Dokoro's work. Which is unfortunate because Dokoro's music is a better part of the mod than Planetoids and Subnautica.

There's also plenty of other chaff and garbage that could be cut from Calamity. Plenty of memes and references to other video games that felt a little tactless from the start. It's a few kilobytes here and a few kilobytes there, but if you cut enough garbage out of the mod you might find it's small enough to fit in tmodder while maintaining the things people like about it, and it wouldn't require a major advertising campaign for Dokoro.

Let Fabsol advertise for a separate Subnautica Mod instead.

In terms of trusting Fabsol, there's not really any reason to going by track record alone. The mod is bloating to the point of being a logistical problem. It's too large for tmodder and starting to use too much memory for a 32 bit program. If you really examine what's been added over the years, Calmity has been finished and over with for a long time. The bosses, all the way up to Calamitas, have been in the mod for a long time, and while the post-Moonlord bosses have been rebalanced, it's been mostly just to make them more tedious.

So what's been added that's worth noting?

Piss Ocean
Well, we've got the Piss Ocean. That's big; it's a big player-killing waste of time except for two items - the teardrop that controls weather and the siren light pet. The weapons in the Piss Ocean get replaced shortly after the Wall of Flesh is defeated, and many of those weapons aren't specifically amazing against the Wall of Flesh either. They're in the upper tier of pre-hardmode, but they're also randomly generated and thus not worth thinking about if you don't plan to hop to different world gens to find them. Additionally, it's obnoxious because although Calamity adds some water accessories which might validate the biome, the Piss Ocean has its own special tryhard mechanics that cause the player to lose breath anyway.

The Piss Ocean also contains notable enemies such as the Mauler Shark and the Scourge, both of which appear pre-hardmode and can be killed pre-hardmode, but don't offer rewards until hardmode. The Mauler Shark, which is more powerful than most bosses, doesn't even drop an item until after Polterghast, which is so late as to be inconsequential. Why does this enemy, which appears at the very start of the game, not drop anything useful until I'm fighting DoG? The whole biome just feels like this - an inconsistent series of nonsensical choices, and we were just barely fortunate enough to get anything useful out of it. It could be made into a separate mod, but if it weren't bundled with Calamity I doubt many players would feel it adds a lot to the experience. The Piss Ocean is an excellent candidate to remove bloat.

Sky Clutter
Planetoids, a recent addition, also add nothing of any real value. Mostly acting as convenient redundancies, Planetoids offer easy mushroom biomes and queen bee larvae. Personally, I find that over the span of the game, I usually run into a natural mushroom biome anyway, and you don't really need a mushroom biome until you need Truffle. As for the Queen Bee, exploring and searching for things is part of Terraria, and if you find even a single hive you'll have enough resources to construct and Abeemination. You really don't need to extend the sky and clutter it up with land masses for that.

I thought maybe something would come of the Sky Clutter, but like the Piss Ocean, there's not really anything of value to justify the extra file size. Actually it offers less than the Piss Ocean.

Calamity Biome
It's been in the mod for a long time, but like a lot of things in Calamity, it's just "[x], but TRYING HARDER". It's really just the Underworld, but more tryhard. It's a small biome, there's nothing consequential in it except for some ore which can be skipped. You summon an optional boss there, which I used to like fighting until the addition of the Brimlings. Now that the Brimstone Elemental has little sidekicks that get in the way, I just ignore it. It's not like she drops anything I want until post-Moonlord anyway. Honestly, you could cut the whole Calamity biome and use the Underworld as it is. If you feel it needs hardmore ore, then propagate the ore in the Underworld.

"Lore"
Goodness, how embarrassing. Was this really necessary? And did everything, even the deserts need to be connected directly to Calamity's NPCs? I neither need nor want speculation for things like "Cthulhu's Eye" because by being related to that eldritch horror it's implied to be beyond my understanding in the first place. It's just a Thing That Cannot Be. But then we have these little blurbs that make it feel like you have a hard time accepting your bosses are meant to be defeated. Adding text to make it clear that the only reason we beat Cryogen is "because he got weak" feels, again, like TRYING HARDER. Like we beat this boss, so now the mod tries really hard to convince us that the boss is totally way bigger and badder than the experience would imply.

Rogue Class

Is it necessary? "Just trust me guys". I mean, eh. Okay. It's not that I trust you - because I don't - it's that it's your mod and you'll do with it whatever you do. You don't need my trust and if you were overly concerned with player sentiment I'm sure you'd have waited until you had something to show. There are other mods that make use of the "throwing" class and you're breaking compatibility, but you already knew that, and I suspect "Rogue" is going to be "Throwing, but TRYING HARDER".

Post-Moonlord Bosses
And finally, not something you can cut, but something that's being changed every new iteration of the mod. Not really to make them more fun or more balanced, but to TRY HARDER. DoG can turn invulnerable, Dragon Fishron recovers his health and forces you to fight him twice. Calamitas gets a cage and then vomits up a bunch of random projectiles into it - something which a lot of the post-Moonlord bosses do.

There's all this talk of adding in even stronger bosses, like Yharim, but it's not a wonder it hasn't happened yet if DoG and Calamitas indicate what their fights would be like. I usually don't bother fighting Calamitas in new games. I often find myself stopping before DoG because DoG is a long, boring battle with regular periods of boss invulnerability and very little ahead of it that I want to experience. Whatever comes beyond Calamitas must be TRYING HARDER than DoG, Yharon, and Calamitas, and it's got to suck. I can only imagine the frustration of trying to make the Calamity boss to end all Calamity bosses, but being gridlocked by escalating projectile spam, cheesy tricks to hinder the player, and by one-upsmanship with yourself.

Your Success is Based on Terraria
At the end of the day, I think maybe you've gotten turned around and you think Calamity is the most popular mod because of how amazing Calamity is, but in reality people play it because it adds more Terraria than most other mods. There's more weapons, more ores, and more bosses. Once you're done with the Moonlord, you go on a little longer. That's all people want, that's all people are looking for. New biomes would be nice if they were implemented properly and added to the progression of Terraria, but none of this stuff does that. Imagine if the Abyss were a post-moonlord biome that didn't need a super special suit to do anything in, and it was a place where you summoned a logical, well-built boss as part of the game's progression - and I don't mean yet another worm that drops equipment you may as well skip.

Maybe instead of focusing on trying to rebalance and reprogram Terraria, you should continue along the lines of adding more of the same Terraria experience to Terraria. Expand on the game as it is rather than trying to expand on Fabsol. Because as it is, your Fabsol expansions are making Terraria less convenient to play with friends, and you're making it harder for other mods to play along as well.

I don't have much to say in response to this. I feel you are wrong in pretty much every aspect of this post. It is, at the end of the day, our mod and we do what we want with it. If you want a different experience play something else.

My success comes from this mod, my devs, and the Calamity community. You make it sound as if anyone could make a mod of any quality and make it this far...which is entirely false and makes no sense.

Just because you can write a lengthy post complaining about things doesn't give it any value, and I feel this is one of those cases.

As much as I love this mod, I'm gonna have to go against one of these "vanilla changes".

Namely, this change:
Life-steal cooldown - Admittedly this would've been a good balance change if this nerf wasn't so harsh. I get it, the Vampire Knives are overpowered, but almost completely stripping it and almost all of the other weapons that heal you of their life-stealing capabilities is a bit much. Life-stealing support weapons feel like any ordinary weapon now. I'll only heal about 20 hp before the cooldown starts which seemingly lasts minutes. This applies to armor and accessories, too. So what about the Spectre armor? Isn't that armor's purpose entirely based on life-stealing, with the cost of a huge downgrade in damage? What if we remove the cooldown and hard-cap the max life you can steal from an enemy based on a weapons strength. Say, a maximum of 3 hp can be recovered with the Vampire Knives regardless of damage being done, and the Empyrean Knives can only recover a maximum of... 30 hp?

If you're not up to changing this, can we please get a command to disable the cooldown, or preferably all of the vanilla changes?
Thank you for taking the time to read this, and I'm sorry if I seem selfish, as this may seem like a personal issue.

Now this I can get behind. The nerf was made because some healing mechanics, coupled with the life regen system and healing potions, lead to pretty bloated healing amounts.

Lessening this effect wouldn't be all too difficult. Balancing it is another story.

Keep thinking that, I can't stop you. But I'm going to reiterate once more because I'm just... kind of done with dealing with you? There's no point in arguing with someone too thick to take in logic and reasoning over salt and fury.

Nobody got cut and the side mod that contains Dokuro's music is being directly promoted by the mod creators. You can find out yourself by going to the Calamity Discord and either asking Fabsol about it, or scrolling through the "announcements" channel, found conveniently under the "Announcements" tab.

Nobody's getting the short end of the stick here, no matter how pissed you are about the mod not being what you want it to be. Again, If you don't like the mod, then stop :red:ing playing it. Fabsol isn't going to change his mind on his decisions over the rage of a single person who doesn't like what this mod has to offer.

Go outside and do something else with your life. If you've got a response, I don't really care, I don't intend on responding.

It honestly feels like the person you're responding to made his posts out of ignorance, which is a shame really. It completely invalidates his arguments.

Some people fail to understand why I still have my team and why most people haven't left me, it's because I CARE and I don't give them a bull:red: story/lie when I'm feeling down, depressed, or upset. I am REAL with them.

Last edited:
You could balance lifesteal by saying as example "You can only heal up to 5% of your maximum health per second" - As an example. That would be 25 health with 500 total health. This would reward tankier builds. Especially those that focus on health. And no matter your maximum health, it would always take a flat 20 seconds to max out your health again. It of course would be more insane with much hier health, but I guess this is easily compensated by the fact that you have less other accessories or stuff.

It's my personal thought at least.

Some people fail to understand why I still have my team and why most people haven't left me, it's because I CARE and I don't give them a bull:red: story/lie when I'm feeling down, depressed, or upset. I am REAL with them.
All the respect I can give, you just earned it right now with that statement.
Godspeed man.

I do agree with everything else, ESP about Flamingo. But I think we can all agree he's just some salty player who didn't get the mod he wanted and is lashing out, and we simply arn't going to respond to him anymore.

You could balance lifesteal by saying as example "You can only heal up to 5% of your maximum health per second" - As an example. That would be 25 health with 500 total health. This would reward tankier builds. Especially those that focus on health. And no matter your maximum health, it would always take a flat 20 seconds to max out your health again. It of course would be more insane with much hier health, but I guess this is easily compensated by the fact that you have less other accessories or stuff.

It's my personal thought at least.

I think something that we be beneficial would be accessories that decrease this limits as well, but shouldn't be combinable in the long run into multi-purpose accessories to force players to pick this over the "meta" loadouts.

Last edited:
I am having this issue, where when I rub my nipples clockwise, it makes me tingly, but if I rub them counterclockwise, I get tired. Anyone else have this issue?
Hello @The Senate, as you’re new here you may not realize that these forums are PG-13, and your comment isn’t appropriate for this site, along with the fact that it has nothing to do with the topic. If you decide to post again, please keep this in mind going forward. You can read more here: Terrarian Community Rules & Culture - PLEASE READ

Send me a private message if you have questions or want to discuss it further by clicking on the ‘Start a Conversation’ link under my avatar at the bottom.

I feel you are wrong in pretty much every aspect of this post.
I'm aware you've probably heard exactly my criticisms from other sources already. I was also expecting exactly this kind of flippant response - your personality does read from the mod.

But a man surrounded by sycophants is a hopeless person. You have approached and then passed the practical limits of one mod. At some point, you'll have to ask not how to improve the mod by adding to it, but by asking how to improve by taking away.

I’m in need of some assistance for my worlds. The only Mod I have installed in Calamity, and I have reloaded the mod to attempt to troubleshoot. The worlds are fine up until I hit Hardmode, when it spawns the new Biome for the Astral Infection. In my first world, the biome loaded fine until I logged on one day and the entire area was gone. Now, in my current world, killing the WoF seems to have removed the Abyss from my game altogether, just cutting it straight from the map. It’s really agonizing because I just wanna play the game. Is there any way I can prevent this from happening?

wow, after reading just the last 6 pages of pure cringe i now know why everybody has been saying don´t support calamity. Objectivity and constructive discussion is not something you guys are very fond of, right? At first i liked the mod, but after seeing who makes it and even more inportant with what level of
pretentiousness and mindless "i am right and you are wrong"-zeal, i can´t morally justify looking over this. Everybody can make a mod of this magnitude and "quality" if they put there mind to it, modding is like setting panels on a scaffolding, but not everybody can make a game like terraria, as not everybody can build the scaffolding, take it from a software engineer. Humble yourselves, y´all are acting like a bunch of fabs.

Then create a mod of your own. We would be more than happy to play it. A second Calamity would sure be a nice addition to the mod selection, am I right? :D

The discussion here has been civil for as long as I have been reading through it. Which admittedly is not a long time. In fact, this discussion only recently escalated due to someone dragging the mod through the dirt. Because that's the fine way of sharing criticism and opinions. The feedback I've been reading through the past 6 said pages was more than civil in my eyes for the majority. Yeah, some single individuals being a bit more... excessive in their expression. But overall I really see no reason why you would say that.

MountainDrew is the creator and owner of this mod. He decides what to add, he decides what to remove. He also decides how to respond to certain criticism. And if you think that he's someone who takes criticism in a bad way, meet some of the big developers who have to endure 1.000+ emails of pure hatred from their community, and then expect them to respond kindly.

The job of a developer doesn't end at the creation of a mod or a game, but continues with taking, processing and executing feedback as well as taking the bad mood of others which unfortunately happens more than necessary. Look at several indie-devs out there who's games got really popular. They don't just get cake and gift baskets. They also get several mean emails, or even hate-speeches or harassments in certain locations. Do you think they manage to stay sane through all of that? If you think that, then you are deluded into thinking that every dev except for calamity dev is great and can just ignore everything that they don't like. And trust me, I've seen devs that caused their community to witch-hunt specific persons for expressing negative feedback. Just so you know, worse is always an option.

Besides. Yes... The job as a modder is altering the game's mechanics or adding more into them. What's wrong about that? I also created mods in games that didn't even require me to code. Yet it was still work. It's their months of time they spend for you to enjoy for a couple of hours.

This being said.

I think something that we be beneficial would be accessories that decrease this limits as well, but shouldn't be combinable in the long run into multi-purpose accessories to force players to pick this over the "meta" loadouts.
That would actually be an excellent idea. I would suggest something like "Vampire Core" which you can craft out of... I dunno... blood themed stuff. Which increases the healing you can receive before the cooldown sets in by 25%. Or perhaps give things like blood orange this ability as well to permanently increase the healing you can receive.

Or just soft-cap it again. Everything above a certain amount is reduced by 80%. I mean, we all love dem soft caps. :D

Why was thrower changed to rogue? It doesn't make sense to me, because now I can't use throwing weapons from Calamity and other mods at once, because thrown and rogue damage is a different thing.

PERFECT, just pure gold. You’re golden Fabsoul, you’re golden.
084CD4F0-C5EE-493B-9812-7910FA052F15.v1.png

Last edited:
I’m in need of some assistance for my worlds. The only Mod I have installed in Calamity, and I have reloaded the mod to attempt to troubleshoot. The worlds are fine up until I hit Hardmode, when it spawns the new Biome for the Astral Infection. In my first world, the biome loaded fine until I logged on one day and the entire area was gone. Now, in my current world, killing the WoF seems to have removed the Abyss from my game altogether, just cutting it straight from the map. It’s really agonizing because I just wanna play the game. Is there any way I can prevent this from happening?
I think that's because of the Steam cloud saving. I'd recommend deactivating it.

Why was thrower changed to rogue? It doesn't make sense to me, because now I can't use throwing weapons from Calamity and other mods at once, because thrown and rogue damage is a different thing.
The most important reason is not known, as Fab wants to keep it secret until the time comes. Though one of the reasons that is actually known is that "throwing code is ugly, rogue isn't". 1.4.2.002 will be an expansion for this class, adding new effects, weapons and other stuff.

Personally I trust Fabsol's decisions and I know there is always a good reason behind each thing he does. And, like pretty much everything, he works with trial and error. If something is added and he ends up not liking it (because reasons), he'll change it or remove it. For example, Yharon's illusions, Halibut Cannon, Legendary Weapons, etc.

Last edited:
I think that's because of the Steam cloud saving. I'd recommend deactivating it.

The most important reason is not known, as Fab wants to keep it secret until the time comes. Though one of the reasons that is actually known is that "throwing code is ugly, rogue isn't". 1.4.2.003 will be an expansion for this class, adding new effects, weapons and other stuff.

Personally I trust Fabsol's decisions and I know there is always a good reason behind each thing he does. And, like pretty much everything, he works with trial and error. If something is added and he ends up not liking it (because reasons), he'll change it or remove it. For example, Yharon's illusions, Halibut Cannon, Legendary Weapons, etc.
Well, I'm hoping it turns out well. Although it really sucks in the current state, because I either use throwing weapons from all other mods or rogue weapons from Calamity, due to them benefitting from different damage type. I guess, unfortunately, for now I'll have to stick to thrown weapons, because there is just more variety in both equipment and weaponry.

I'm aware you've probably heard exactly my criticisms from other sources already. I was also expecting exactly this kind of flippant response - your personality does read from the mod.

But a man surrounded by sycophants is a hopeless person. You have approached and then passed the practical limits of one mod. At some point, you'll have to ask not how to improve the mod by adding to it, but by asking how to improve by taking away.

Really sucks when you consider the fact that the mod isn't done yet

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom