Items Right-clicking with Magic Mirror teleports you back

If added, should this feature be implemented into the vanilla Magic Mirror, or a crafted upgrade?

• Total voters

Baconfry

Terrarian
As the title suggests, right-clicking with the Magic Mirror or Cell Phone will teleport you back to the location from which you used it last.

Obviously this will allow players to save time if they accidentally Mirror without intending to, which has happened to me more times than I'd like to admit. Another more significant benefit is that one's spawnpoint can now function as a more convenient base. In the middle of exploration, you would be able to teleport to your base, deposit your inventory, and return to exploring without having to travel all that distance again. In my opinion this would drastically improve quality of life.

I think it would be simple and intuitive enough, but let me know what you think.

Absolutely a good idea. I would like it to be this way from the get-go, but I would imagine they'd probably make it an upgrade, all things considered. I'd be fine with it being an upgrade as long as it's included with the Cell Phone, and can be done without the entire Cell Phone.

I think this should be a part of an upgrade to the magic mirror. Being able to teleport back and forth between your base is an incredible utility that would massively change the game. You'd never have to worry about inventory space and if you're in some cave and about to die, you can easily teleport home, heal at the nurse, then teleport back. I think this would alter the feel and pacing of this game which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

It looks like we’ve mostly agreed that the upgraded Magic Mirror should be made available at a later stage of the game.

As for the upgrade itself, how about making the crafting ingredient drop from smashed Demon/Crimson Altars? Medusa is another option, as she is often associated with mirrors. I do think that whatever crafting ingredient we decide on should be given more than one use, though I’m not exactly sure what.

I'd really love to have this mirror, but yeah, it should definitely be a very late game item.
Being able to return home and back to where you were in the blink of an eye might give too much convenience, removing this feeling of "My inventory's almost full; am I going home or am I going to risk exploring juuust a little bit further?"

Perhaps make it available after the first decent wings become available, since with wings it's an easy task to get back to your old position anyway.

I don't see why not?

upload_2019-3-4_22-20-11.png

Maybe it could be a one time teleport, like if you use it it forgets the location. Also, being a halfway between magic mirror to a portal gun, maybe golem drops a material to craft with the magic mirror.

When you teleport home you move to your chests. when you right click you would just teleport to where you already were?

I think it's a little OP though.

Also, being a halfway between magic mirror to a portal gun, maybe golem drops a material to craft with the magic mirror.
That’s not really halfway, though. By the time you’ve defeated Golem, the exploration phase of Terraria is almost over, and all that’s left are invasion events and bosses. In other words, it would come too late to benefit the player.

Those of you who believe that this is OP: why are long mandatory travel times necessary for the balance of the game? Does it add to the gameplay experience? And if so, how late in the game should it be made available for this to no longer be an issue? I mostly agree that it should probably be around the same time the player gets full access to flight.

OP is not a word that I think people should throw around lightly. If, out of fear of creating something OP, you make new content that’s useless or weak, then haven’t you failed to achieve game balance either way?

That’s not really halfway, though. By the time you’ve defeated Golem, the exploration phase of Terraria is almost over, and all that’s left are invasion events and bosses. In other words, it would come too late to benefit the player.

Those of you who believe that this is OP: why are long mandatory travel times necessary for the balance of the game? Does it add to the gameplay experience? And if so, how late in the game should it be made available for this to no longer be an issue? I mostly agree that it should probably be around the same time the player gets full access to flight.

OP is not a word that I think people should throw around lightly. If, out of fear of creating something OP, you make new content that’s useless or weak, then haven’t you failed to achieve game balance either way?
I think the key to creating this upgrade should come from the Jungle or the Evil. Somewhere around that progression point.

Yeah, overpowered is definitely a word that I wouldn't use and shouldn't be used. This is an item of convenience.
The mirror already gets you out of a dangerous situation. This item would just bring you back. It does nothing that would be considered overpowered, it does not instantly slay monsters or create gigantic craters.

It's OP since it would cut down the time to play Terraria massively. Plus, part of the journey is getting there. How many times have you found something rare or funny on a trip to somewhere in Terraria?

It's OP since it would cut down the time to play Terraria massively. Plus, part of the journey is getting there. How many times have you found something rare or funny on a trip to somewhere in Terraria?
If one would compare it with fast travel in Skyrim. It certainely makes a difference. But it's not working like that. Because you'll only return to the last spot. Manual travelling anywhere else would still apply.

It's honestly just as 'OP' as Steampunkers teleporters are.

If one would compare it with fast travel in Skyrim. It certainely makes a difference. But it's not working like that. Because you'll only return to the last spot. Manual travelling anywhere else would still apply.

It's honestly just as 'OP' as Steampunkers teleporters are.
No, because it costs a heck ton of money to buy the wire to get anywhere really. Besides, I once tried to make a teleport mechanism to the underground jungle and it took me 3 hours before I finally gave up.

@Baconfry What about a buff that allows you to teleport back after coming to spawn for X amount of seconds?
I feel like a time limit on the return trip would be stressful, which is not a feeling I want to experience within my own base. Though I suppose it would be fair to remove the ability to teleport back if you die.

It's OP since it would cut down the time to play Terraria massively.
I don’t know about you, but when I play Terraria, I want that time to be spent on having fun. The time I spend on overworld travel/falling down hellevators is time when I’m not having fun. It’s not challenging or engaging and I think we can do without it.

I feel like a time limit on the return trip would be stressful, which is not a feeling I want to experience within my own base. Though I suppose it would be fair to remove the ability to teleport back if you die.

I don’t know about you, but when I play Terraria, I want that time to be spent on having fun. The time I spend on overworld travel/falling down hellevators is time when I’m not having fun. It’s not challenging or engaging and I think we can do without it.
I completely disagree. I feel that Terraria is like Minecraft in many ways. The reason I think Terraria is much better because of the reward system, without it, I would be playing another steam game right now. And part of the reward system is the work. and without the work there is no reward.

Back
Top Bottom