Game runs in "Slow motion" or low fps?

So I have owned terraria for PC for about 3 weeks, and my fps was :red: which then lead me to this article and with a little reading I found a response from a user named..

Marcus101RR

He said that someone else's .NET framework was broken and needed repair, so I tried that out for me and did GPU driver updates like Aihara mentioned, so after a restart terraria started running at around 200 fps ingame and 350-410 on the main menu. I believe it was the .NET that was causing low fps because my GPU drivers were "up to date" (in reality the drivers were 5 years old and there were newer ones, thanks dad) so after I sorted that out not much happened. My friend with a way more powerful PC was also having this issue with latest drivers. So after I did this I suggested the .NET repair to him and now he is running without issues.

So I suggest running a .NET repair, here is a link to the latest framework as of 1/12/19
https://dotnet.microsoft.com/download/dotnet-framework-runtime
Download the file and it should have 2 options

Repair .NET installation

or

Remove .NET installation

You would want to pick the repair option, so after you select that it'll work it's magic and request that you restart your PC. So save any work you had then restart.
After the restart I loaded terraria and went fullscreen at the highest res option. WITH FRAMESKIP DISABLED, I also had V-Sync and Triple Buffering disabled through nVidia control panels. If you want to disable V-Sync and such yourself there is a reply on this thread somewhere with that info I think. And just like that I was running with decent frames.

I am playing with a Dell Precision M4800
(check dell page for more specific specs)
Specs below.

Intel Core i7-4910MQ @ 2.90ghz
NVIDIA Quadro K2100M w/ 2gb of GDDR5 memory
32GB of DDR3 memory
Microsoft .NET Framework 4.7.2
Microsoft XNA Framework 4.0
Windows 7 Professional Service Pack 1

-Epickcin
1/12/19

I was having the same issue as some in the thread (even though a decent PC) and am here to post how I got the game fixed and playable for me. This may or may not work for you, but it's surely worth a try.

I combined a few tips from here and found almost perfectly smooth solution for me.

The "sweet spot" settings:
- terraria.exe priority HIGH or ABOVE NORMAL (windows task manager) <- THIS was the most affecting setting for me, somehow. I needed to turn this to have smooth frametime/framerate
- Frameskip off
- maximum prerendered frames: 1 (nvidia control panel)
- force no vsync (nvidia control panel)
- 1920x1080 resolution (instead of 2560×1440 I usually use, this fixed vibrating graphics)

Things I tried:
- tweaking with nvidiainspector
- adjusting vsync, gsync
- adjusting nvidia control panel settings
- adjusting screen refresh rate
- maxcapping game fps

I tested this with Rivatuner Statistics Server (RTSS) on screen info and frametime graph. Without these tweaks, the frametime was bouncing all around in the graph, while the fps was looking quite smooth around 130-144fps and the game and the mouse felt laggy. With these settings, I got almost perfectly smooth frametime, fps and mouse movement.

I took a few screenshots with the RTSS frametime graph for illustration.
8e1f36d4465db4d6a72c94366c1d96be.png

Picture 1: Here's what it looks after the changes. The framerate is almost perfect 144fps, and the graph showing frametime is almost perfectly smooth line.

9922e136d031f7192b49aa4caabda7e4.png

Picture 2: Here's what it looked like before the settings/changes. Frametime was skipping a lot between 6.9ms-45ms (that's a lot of lag) even though fps was showing to be only between 130-144fps. The game felt horrible, small microstutters everywhere, and a lot of mouse lag. Sometimes the game felt it was slow-mo when moving around, then when stopping it felt smooth again.

170c20f4bd4077caa61bbe289fd8431f.png

Picture 3: With the tweaks, but with Frame Skip. This is how frametime behaves when frameskip is turned to SUBTLE or ON. The experience is not as bad, but there is constantly small stutter and lag. Also, it automatically caps the fps to 60.

My Rig:
Windows 10 PC
i5-4690k @ 4 Ghz (OC)
GTX 1080 Ti
16 gigs ram

Hope this helps someone! I will update if there's something more I will find out

You need to use NVidia/AMD Graphics Panel to adjust how the program runs, don't let the app decide. In addition, always setting to "HIgh" priority does the trick along with those settings. I hope this will be addressed in 1.3.6

Found the most (not) obvious fix. Go to full screen, assuming you're on borderless windowed. I know, I hate it... but it fixed the issue completely for me. Maybe seeing this will help the developers in diagnosing the issue?

EDIT:
When a message from Discord or Steam pops up, the game slows nearly to a halt for 30 seconds. In multiplayer, this makes me jump/glitch around for other players. Again though, making Terraria full screen, instead of borderless windowed fixed that issue.

System Specs:
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
i5-3570k
GeForce GTX 970
16GB DDR3 RAM
OS boots from 256GB SSD*
Tarraria runs from 1TB HDD*

*I know those two probably don't matter, but if it's trying to load something from a HDD, instead of RAM it could cause it to go slow.

Last edited:
You won't be needing any 200-300 Dollar card for terraria, but the best price to performance cards in that range are the Vega 56 and the RX 590

Hello guys I found a fix for my issue. I went to video on the main menu and disabled borderless. So far this has made my game buttery smooth with no lag.

The horrid performance is likely because the game on Windows is still using the horribly ancient XNA framework. Then again, I can't say for sure whether building against FNA on Windows would be any improvement, considering that at least on AMD GPUs, the OpenGL performance would be atrocious on Windows, thanks to AMD's "lovely" drivers.

Yes, I find my Linux performance to be way better than the Windows performance. I have yet to try running the game under Gamescope, however, so I can see whether I can force 1080p in a "fullscreen" view to scale to my 3840x2160 monitor, since the game itself refuses to do this for me properly.

E: I have found a solution to my Windows performance issues: I disabled the "borderless window" mode, and now it performs much better, even in a 1920x1080 window, which due to my system DPI, is doubled to fill the screen.

Last edited:
I know that this has already been said but TURN FRAME SKIP ON. The most likely reason why the game is running in slow motion is because when frame skip is off I makes sure that you get every single frame, so if the game caps the max frames per second at (eg.) 120 and you are running at 60 frames per second then it's going to takes 2 seconds to get all of the frames. Skipping frames honestly isn't that noticeable unless you have really low fps. I hope this helps anyone who still has a problem.:happy:
we HAVE IT ON, its in the post!

we HAVE IT ON, its in the post!
Hi there @REDnotfred, the post that you're replying to is almost five years old. TheFancyWisp gave this advice to someone else five years ago. So I'm confused about your post, why it's somewhat yelling back with caps and an exclamation point.

Back
Top Bottom