Terraria 8th Anniversary Lore Event

I am a bit confused.

So is Moonlord Chthulu or not? The lore states that he fled to the dark side of the moon, and the cultist tried to revive him and made the mechanic build the mechanical bosses to revive him, but it says she was building eyes and a brain, Moon Lord already has eyes and a brain, so are they the same or not?

I am a bit confused.

So is Moonlord Chthulu or not? The lore states that he fled to the dark side of the moon, and the cultist tried to revive him and made the mechanic build the mechanical bosses to revive him, but it says she was building eyes and a brain, Moon Lord already has eyes and a brain, so are they the same or not?
Re-Logic used to be very adamant that he was not and was not related to Cthulhu despite the True Eyes of Cthulhu that it summons...
Then they said (half-jokingly, I assume) that the Moon Lord is Cthulhu's Cousin.
And now they seem to be implying that Cthulhu's corpse remains is the Moon Lord despite the fact that the parts missing from the Moon Lord in no way match up with the parts that were supposedly broken off of Cthulhu...

TL;DR they put next to zero thought into lore until now, and it shows, badly.

I neither like or dislike this. It's an okay story for the game which didn't had a real story to begin with.
I care a lot about this game and with that being said, I think this shouldn't be a thing.
Write some proper lore that makes actual sense for a new game (which I really hope you guys are working on) because Terraria didn't need one.

To be honest this is not what i was expecting. I was hoping for something more. Like lore for all of the bosses, NPCs, the biomes, enemies, weapons, Really everything. Like. Why are there floating islands? Why is there a ninja in the slime king? Why is there a kid by himself next to the ocean? Who are the lihzahrd and why are they here? Whats the story behind the Last Prism? Whats the relationship between the Wall of Flesh and the Guide? I do hope more is added soon. And Maybe tweaked a little.

So, I assume that the pre-hardmode bosses, the Eye of Cthulhu, the Eater of Worlds, Skeleton, and the Brain of Cthulhu are the chunks of Cthulhu's body destroyed by the dryad race.

The mechanic Then made The Twins, The Destroyer, and Skeletron Prime as Cthulhu's replacement body parts (which would make Cthulhu stronger than before, as the parts/bosses themselves are a lot stronger.

The only reason that there isn't a mechanic Brain of Cthulhu is simply that the mechanic hasn't built them yet. The player arrives in the world (somehow), then rescues the mechanic in the dungeon, and stops the brain from being built.

I hope there will be more lore in the future, I feel like this was really well done :)

This says a lot about our society. Truly deep stuff. I especially liked where the mechanic is now building replacement :red:s for celestial beings with and without brains

According to the official discord, you're right. Still waiting for any info regarding sun lord though- I was thinking he would be a bit similar, but orange and with fangs... It would be really scary and he would have more arms too.
wtf im terrified right now. YOU BETTER delete your post or ill report you.

Spanish Version!
(No al 100% correcto)
Pagina 1:

''Bienvenidos al mundo de Terraria, una tierra llena de misterio y maravilla, con mucho del destino dejado a la imaginación más salvaje... sin embargo, algunas leyendas de antaño han hecho su camino hacia el presente. Transmitido por incontables generaciones de la guía, estas pequeñas cantidades de información le servirán para navegar y superar las amenazas que acechan en las sombras.
este conocimiento es ahora transmitido a usted, el valiente aventurero, con la esperanza de que le ayude en su búsqueda para salvar nuestro mundo.

Al principio, los dioses establecieron un equilibrio para garantizar la justicia para todas las criaturas vivientes. este equilibrio iba a ser de suma importancia, sin costo alguno para buscar su cumplimiento. Han pasado eones desde que los Dioses comenzaron a probar las complejidades de la vida en su experimento de justicia. En este proceso se crearon incontables mundos vivientes que ahora existen dentro del universo Terraria. Cada mundo de Terraria es un ser sensible que sabe todo lo que sucede y puede sentir los pensamientos de todas las criaturas vivientes con el único propósito de asegurar que el equilibrio deseado se mantenga, a menudo violentamente. los mundos utilizan muchos mecanismos de defensa para asegurar que el equilibrio se mantenga a toda costa - algunos de ellos son conocidos como la santidad, la corrupción y el carmesí''

Pagina 2:
''La Carmesi
El carmesí es un único ser viviente emergente conectado directamente a cada mundo, compartiendo una mente de colmena y enfocado únicamente en restaurar el equilibrio a toda costa. miles de mundos antes de aquel en el que ustedes se encuentran ahora han sido absorbidos por este ser. Mucha gente equivocada ha cometido el terrible error de elevar el carmesí al nivel de una deidad -llevando a cabo sacrificios humanos para aplacar la monstruosidad o buscar su favor. el carmesí consume gustosamente estos cuerpos convirtiéndose en uno con ellos y produciendo seres aterradores, todos los cuales pierden la habilidad de sentir y seguir ciegamente la mente de la colmena.

La Corrupción La corrupción es un cáncer causado por los pecados de los que viven en los mundos de Terraria. Las viles acciones y pensamientos presentes en todos los seres alimentan el crecimiento de la corrupción a medida que se propaga implacablemente por todo el mundo. La Corrupción no sabe otra cosa que consumir todo lo que toca, dejando atrás terribles criaturas de odio que existen por la única razón de causar dolor en castigo por el placer no ganado experimentado por los seres vivos. Si la corrupción restaura el equilibrio de la vida, la destruye con el objetivo de convertir el mundo en un abismo desolado y vacío de vida.''

Pagina 3:
''El santificado (Bendición)
El santificado, por otra parte, es de una naturaleza completamente diferente. Dentro de cada mundo hay un guardián que sirve como maestro y núcleo del mundo. Una vez que esta criatura sea destruida, el mundo liberará a los Espíritus Antiguos de la Luz y de la Oscuridad para acelerar el proceso de encontrar un nuevo guardián. Es aquí cuando se crea la santidad y funciona como una sobrecompensación de pureza, llevada al extremo absoluto. La santidad cura las amenazas que intentan violar el equilibrio crítico de la vida, matando todo lo que se encuentra en su camino como si se tratara de una infección, ya sea de un amigo, un enemigo o una parte neutral.
En última instancia, La Bendición sirve para hacer retroceder contra la incesante invasión de control.

es en el contexto de este precioso equilibrio de vida, desolación y dolor que se desarrollan las grandes batallas de la leyenda y las aventuras de nuestro tiempo. En el punto ciego del universo, existe un planeta de potencial sin precedentes: Tu mundo!

Tu historia comienza con Cthulhu - Una criatura de poder inconmensurable y origen desconocido - que llegó hace mucho tiempo con su aparentemente único propósito de llover destrucción y tener dominio sobre toda la vida sensible que florece en tu mundo.''

Pagina 4:
''Nadie podía resistirse a los consejos de Cthulhu.
El propio tejido de Terraria parecía estar en el precipicio de la perdición. Por fin, cuando toda esperanza parecía perdida, la antigua raza de las Dríadas surgió para librar una batalla contra Cthulhu. Las Dríadas, con su inigualable conexión con el planeta, fueron la última esperanza de Terraria al unirse para salvar la aniquilación de todas las formas de vida.

Los Dryads fueron incapaces de matar a Cthulhu, sin embargo, con el poder combinado de los Dryads fueron capaces de paralizar la habilidad de Cthulhu para causar más daño a Terraria arrancándole los ojos a Cthulhu, parte de su esqueleto, y trozos de su cerebro. Finalmente, este daño sustancial obligó a Cthuluh a retirarse al lado oscuro de la luna, donde habita hasta el día de hoy, reuniendo fuerzas para otro intento de conquista total. En cuanto a las Dríadas, lamentablemente, todos menos un solo miembro perecieron... y el único sobreviviente no ha sido visto en muchos años.

Ha pasado mucho tiempo desde la Gran Guerra de Cthuluh. Sin embargo, los rumores hablan de un culto lunático dirigido por un fanático fanático que busca metódicamente revivir a Cthuluh a su antiguo poder y provocar el fin del mundo. Como parte de estos esfuerzos, un genio de renombre -conocido simplemente como el Mechanc- ha sido secuestrado y obligado a reconstruir las piezas necesarias para hacer de Cthuluh una vez más completo. Los susurros de Husheed hablan de los resultados de este experimento: horribles simulacros mecánicos de los órganos de Cthulhu. La Mecánica casi ha completado su trabajo, sólo necesita terminar el cerebro Mecánico para restaurar a Cthuluh a su pleno poder destructivo''

Pagina 5:
''Los viajeros que pasan escuchan la construcción y los gritos que emanan del Calabozo - una fortaleza malvada y demoníaca de los muertos en la que el Mecánico supuestamente está prisionero mientras lleva a cabo su trabajo.

Muchos en Terraria han caído bajo la posesión del culto, incluyendo al anciano benevolente que supervisa el Calabozo, una ciudad que una vez estuvo llena de vida hasta que una maldición obligó a todos sus habitantes a volverse locos - viviendo más allá del punto en el que sus cuerpos se pudrían y se convertían en siervos del mal sin sentido de los muertos vivientes. Sin alguna intervención, alguna fuerza para detener esta marea, algún héroe para salvar el día, ¡la perdición de Terraria está cerca!

Esto nos lleva a nuestra aventura. Comienza con usted - en los comienzos humildes y mostrado su camino por el Guía fiel y misterioso
Como campeón del mundo, usted experimentará las comunicaciones del mundo para ayudar a proteger su misión. El mundo los ha traído a este lugar específico en este momento específico - ¿se pondrán de pie y lucharán por Terraria contra las crecientes sombras del impedimento de la perdición?''

We've all waited so long for this!
I still remember during summer all my friends and I were just online on steam recording the countdown to 1.3, and that was such a fun day
(until my computer hours ran out cuz when you're a middle school student that happens)
It's been a good run!
Long live Terraria!

Okay, I can see why the developers would want to make lore for Terraria. It's pretty standard among games and can be fun to write out a story.
But Terraria is not a game for storytelling, especially improv storytelling--it's a game for epic mechanisms, beautiful structures, and fruitful adventuring; and that's okay.

To prevent enraged sputtering in my DMs: I have 3700+ hours in Terraria and it's among my favorite games easily; I mean no harm in what I say. I only want to voice myself and perhaps get the message to the people who'll consider it. Nor am I going to address the flaws in the storytelling, for countless Reddit users are already tackling that.

In short, the "lore" of Terraria musters more questions than before its publication. It ties together ideas that nobody wanted to be tied, deleting some of the magic of Terraria. I'm sure you, the reader, can picture it: You've spawned on an island in the middle of a pure, beautiful, verdant field with no idea what to do. A mysterious guide helps you through your journey in a comical, fascinating, and intense world. No questions are asked because the game needs not them. It leaves the book open.

Saturating the game with nonsensical lore "just because" is... a very odd executive and narrative decision, and I disagree with that.

Not only is the lore unnecessary and ultimately grimace-worthy, but it also leaves countless questions to be asked after reading. For example,
  • Where do Plantera, Golem, and the Lizahrd come into this?
  • Why does murdering your guide in a lava voodoo sacrifice spawn a Wall of Flesh, and why is that Wall the guardian of the world, and why in Hell?
  • Why do the Cultists want to summon the ancient god of death and destruction?
I'm not seeking these answers to be answered, only to be considered. Once one sees how these vague connections and questionable grounds are laid out, it becomes evident that this story is all thrown together in a hodgepodge. Terraria before its lore was released had had fewer questions than afterward.

Nonetheless, I must leave this on a positive note, for I absolutely love this game, its developers, and its community. Re-Logic, I love your enthusiasm and conceptualization of lore for this timeless game, but it would be best to accept Terraria as a game that beckons no story. It has everything else it needs to exceed a great game.

Ultimately, I'll end up ignoring it and pretending this never happened. It's something to learn from.

Terraria is an amazing game, but it has never had a story and certainly does not need one now.

[Rereading: oh dear I just wrote a whole goddamn article. Sorry if I wasted your time lol. O o p s ]

Last edited:
Ok so i have kinda mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, it's pretty basic and mostly just stuff that was already implied in the game itself, but on the other hand, there's some things i don't really like. I'll probably just end up ignoring it and making my own. Still pretty good though.

I can see why people are upset about this, but please don't be too harsh on the devs. I'm sure they didn't mean to mess things up for everyone, and just wanted to answer some questions people had about the game.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom