"Terraria is a ripoff of Minecraft" comebacks

Someone should just google it, however Doom is the oldest FPS game I've heard of. By the way, has anyone here tried out the new Doom game? My parents won't let me play it. I tried to say that I was 15 and could handle it. From gameplay I've seen, they're probably right...

Not by a Longshot.

Wolfenstein 3D was, AFAIK.

It was not "True" 3D (Neither was DOOM), but Wolfenstein 3d preceeded DOOM and AFAIK It's the first actual First Person Shooter.

As for the new doom, eh, just wait 3 years. It'll be $20 and it'll still be just as awesome and you'll have a better computer that could run it on higher settings at a smoother framerate.

Wait.. So does that mean I'm correct?

Well you said "Castlevania 3D" but assuming you meant "(Castle) Wolfenstein 3D" then yeah, you were actually right, in that it was before DOOM by a year and a half.

But then, again as I said earlier, neither game is an actual "3D" game, they were just drawn using vector graphics and clever optical illusions. I'm not entirely sure as to the first "real" 3D FPS game, but I would place a wild guess on Quake.

Well you said "Castlevania 3D" but assuming you meant "(Castle) Wolfenstein 3D" then yeah, you were actually right, in that it was before DOOM by a year and a half.

Oh right, I had the two confused.

But then, again as I said earlier, neither game is an actual "3D" game, they were just drawn using vector graphics and clever optical illusions. I'm not entirely sure as to the first "real" 3D FPS game, but I would place a wild guess on Quake.

Interesting...

Anime... Ni?
[doublepost=1554999180,1554999054][/doublepost]
From gameplay I've seen, they're probably right...
Whoops, I meant to say that my parents were right. I'll go in and edit it.
[doublepost=1554999737][/doublepost]By the way, there's this kid at my school who really hates Terraria because it's a ripoff of Minecraft or whatever the :red:. Every time he makes fun of me for playing it, I'm just like "Okay, how is it similar?" and he's like "Oh, because the worlds are randomly generated and you can build," and then I say "That's it? You know, building is pretty different in Terraria, because it's 2D and you can build walls. Also, there are more biomes in Terraria, the underground is different in all biomes, the enemies that spawn are different, the loot you can get is different, the-" and then he cuts me off, only to say "Oh, it's still a ripoff anyways."

No game on a computer/console/mobile/etc is REAL 3D. It's all just an optical illusion.
Technically, yes they are. Sprites are definitely different from models in the fact that they only use 2 dimensions when rendered. Models, on the other hand, are processed and rendered with 3 dimensions(3 axis) on a given platform. While the computer screen only has two dimensions, we can still perceive depth the models have because of additional fluidity in their animations and shading in their textures.

Eh, now we just getting into semantics.

While it is true that your monitor is 2-dimensional, when we say "3D" in the computer world, we are talking about how the game engine handles things code-wise. In a game like Wolfenstein 3D, DOOM, etc, everything you see is cleverly drawn sprites that look like they are drawn in 3D but they are always made to face the camera and only have a few different sprites that are swapped out as the sprite "turns" in relation to the viewer.

Environments are done by using vector graphics to draw lines towards a horizon point to give the 3D "illusion" and calculations are done on a 2D plane. Positions of actors (player, enemies, objects, terrain) are kept track of using two 2D planes, one vertical one horizontal (this is why such games almost always have flat floors, and no slopes, hills, etc).

In a true 3D game, the game's engine keeps track of things in three dimensions, with an X, Y and now Z coordinates instead of two X/Y axes. Calculations are done, characters and enemies are done using full 3 dimensional models that can be rotated in any direction and aren't just several different sprites that are drawn depending on which way they are facing, they are usually done by meshing graphics ontop of a wire figure, etc.

There's a huge difference in how these two different kinds of games work.

Mars is just a big tomato confirmed.
Not by a Longshot.

Wolfenstein 3D was, AFAIK.

It was not "True" 3D (Neither was DOOM), but Wolfenstein 3d preceeded DOOM and AFAIK It's the first actual First Person Shooter.

As for the new doom, eh, just wait 3 years. It'll be $20 and it'll still be just as awesome and you'll have a better computer that could run it on higher settings at a smoother framerate.
Technically, yes they are. Sprites are definitely different from models in the fact that they only use 2 dimensions when rendered. Models, on the other hand, are processed and rendered with 3 dimensions(3 axis) on a given platform. While the computer screen only has two dimensions, we can still perceive depth the models have because of additional fluidity in their animations and shading in their textures.

Would that make earth a big blueberry with moss growing on it?

The conversation has derailed heavily from the Thread Topic, this is a reminder for everyone to keep posts related to the topic of the Thread. An offhand comment or 2 once in awhile is okay on a Thread, but it is not related to the Thread topic at this point.

From here on please keep posts focused on the Thread topic please. If you want to talk about a different topic, you are better off continuing on a profile, or any relevant Thread that might exist for the different topic.

Back
Top Bottom