"Terraria is a ripoff of Minecraft" comebacks

Well, set me on fire and call me dead! A quick glance at Terraria and you might see Minecraft, maaaaayyybbeeee vice versa. But look at the genres, not the textures! Minecraft is more of a survivalist sandbox type game. None of the bosses drop anything cool, and there are only three. It's not progressive or huge, even if you do believe it has a lotta content. Meanwhile, Terraria is more of an RPG battle game. There are 13 bosses and they all drop weapons, materials, armor, and other things. They also progress the game. The endgame tier is overpowered, especially compared to Minecraft's 'endgame' tier. Terraria is obviously different, boisengirls.

Well, set me on fire and call me dead! A quick glance at Terraria and you might see Minecraft, maaaaayyybbeeee vice versa. But look at the genres, not the textures! Minecraft is more of a survivalist sandbox type game. None of the bosses drop anything cool, and there are only three. It's not progressive or huge, even if you do believe it has a lotta content. Meanwhile, Terraria is more of an RPG battle game. There are 13 bosses and they all drop weapons, materials, armor, and other things. They also progress the game. The endgame tier is overpowered, especially compared to Minecraft's 'endgame' tier. Terraria is obviously different, boisengirls.

upload_2019-5-17_23-57-1.png

It's safe to say that Minecraft launched sandbox games with elaborate terrain deformation and freeform building mechanics into widespread popularity, and also that this influenced Red's decision to create something different but still within the same broad digging/building/sandbox genre.

Back when Terraria was in early development, I recall Red getting flak from various gaming websites and forums for using Final Fantasy sprites as placeholders. Like Minecraft, Terraria started out pretty humbly. Both games sold incredibly well (30m copies of Minecraft, 12m of Terraria) in part because there were no other games like them out there and people really dug the new genre, whether or not they were inspired by earlier titles.

Almost every single thing you see in today's media was inspired by something else.

If that constitutes "ripping off" then EVERYTHING is a ripoff.

This is a bit of a tangent, but I ended up actually using only about twenty different weapons from the beginning to the end of progression after starting fresh recently. Everyone has different playstyles of course, and I've played Terraria for thousands of hours since release (so I already know what I like), but I'd definitely say that a lot of weapons could use some love to make them more viable at each stage of progression.

Then again, there are yo-yos, and that alone is pretty rad. Yo-yos are probably my favorite weapon, since they combine melee's non-garbage defense with respectable range, the precision of cursor-point spells, the ability to snake around corners and through holes, and unique feel and mechanics.

This is a bit of a tangent, but I ended up actually using only about twenty different weapons from the beginning to the end of progression after starting fresh recently. Everyone has different playstyles of course, and I've played Terraria for thousands of hours since release (so I already know what I like), but I'd definitely say that a lot of weapons could use some love to make them more viable at each stage of progression.

Then again, there are yo-yos, and that alone is pretty rad. Yo-yos are probably my favorite weapon, since they combine melee's non-garbage defense with respectable range, the precision of cursor-point spells, the ability to snake around corners and through holes, and unique feel and mechanics.

Terraria is an old game with many patches under its belt, many new additions, many broad strokes with the brush.

Weapons that were added in 1.0 pale in comparison to some of the neat stuff Red and Co. have come up with in, say, 1.2 or 1.3. There's no way a manual click (I'm a very firm believer that all weapons should be full auto, just to avoid RSI and wearing out mouse buttons) sword is going to out-perform a yo-yo, or the arkhalis for example.

I think a lot of items should be tweaked or consolidated as they really don't have any use in the game, such as the various ore weapons and armors as there's really no reason we need so many of them.

But then again, they might surprise us and do something just like that in 1.3.6 because the theme of 1.3.6 is said to be "going back over the whole game with a smoothing brush" to smooth out stuff, add finishing touches, etc like the wind effects, the critters, etc and perhaps a bunch of rebalancing tweaks to remove some of the jagged edges (or at least smooth them out) where some items are either too good, or not good enough for their respective tiers.

Terraria is an old game with many patches under its belt, many new additions, many broad strokes with the brush.

Weapons that were added in 1.0 pale in comparison to some of the neat stuff Red and Co. have come up with in, say, 1.2 or 1.3. There's no way a manual click (I'm a very firm believer that all weapons should be full auto, just to avoid RSI and wearing out mouse buttons) sword is going to out-perform a yo-yo, or the arkhalis for example.

Yeah, I know. I've been playing since release and after each major update up until July 2015, after which I took a long break until just recently.

Agreed on the full auto, even if that means a re-balancing of some weapons is necessary. Besides, a simple mouse macro can emulate auto-swing for weapons that don't have it if someone wants to be bothered.

I think a lot of items should be tweaked or consolidated as they really don't have any use in the game, such as the various ore weapons and armors as there's really no reason we need so many of them.

I suppose they're good for collecting and variety if nothing else, and the ores all have associated bricks and walls. Plus, the assets are complete. That said, I've always found the double ores slightly annoying logistically and storage-wise, especially since you're pretty much guaranteed to blow through the first two tiers of hardmode ore in a short period of time.

I would ask them what their favorite biome theme is. I would also ask them which arrow they prefer, Holy or Crystal. When they reply with "There are only three themes and they're all garbage" and "We only have arrows that are slightly modified," just say "Oh, sorry, I'm just a bit too used to Terraria. My favorite theme is the corruption theme, because it lets off a very fitting evil tone, and, I might sound crazy here, but seems to go with the color purple. And I like Holy Arrows better, because a bit of a spread shot can be accomplished by a Shotgun or Onyx Blaster, and the other items that rain stars from the sky are accessories or melee weapons. Oh, I forgot that you have no idea what I'm talking about because you can't even bother to look up what Terraria even is."

Back
Top Bottom