Will we be able to reuse worlds in Journey's End?

Nathrol

Terrarian
Now, what I mean by this is will current worlds we have be updated with new Journey's End world content. This many include possible new biomes like the Oasis or whatever new zones they have in story for us, or possible new ores or whatever features may come in Journey's End.

The reason i'm looking for this is because in the past year I have poured a lot of time and effort into building cool things for one specific world I have right now, and I'm looking forward to the possibility of using this world in Terraria 1.4. I would hate to have to start from scratch again with a new world, but I guess I could reuse that world and use it as my "building world" where I just use it for building projects. I'd still prefer getting some use out of those cool creations and using them as my base for me and my friends, though.

If worlds CANNOT be updated, i personally think this would add a pretty cool quality of life aspect to the game, as some people would simply want to progress their current character into Journey's End rather than having to create a new world and start from scratch, or creating a new world and powering through to current content with their over-geared characters. In 1.1 the world was changed after defeating the Wall of Flesh (I don't remember if this caused players to have to create a new world, but to me it makes sense for it to not be required). In 1.2, however, they hard-added biomes such as the snow and crimson (changes for world, so this one is partially irrelevant i guess), the temple, beehive, and new ores such as chlorophyte. The biomes were not locked behind anything as far as I can remember, but chlorophyte was locked behind hardmode. I dont remember if the snow biome was added to older worlds created before the patch, so it would be a good exhibit to use as an example as to why or why not worlds would not be able to be "reused" in 1.4. Any idea if we'll have to make new worlds?

I would highly recommend making a new world. Otherwise you will not be experiencing half of the major changes and additions this update has to offer.

New items that drop from enemies or new enemies that spawn in already existing biomes or items sold by NPCs will still be obtainable with the new update.

World generation changes such as the Oasis will require a new World, also if there are any items that spawn in chests on World Generation. There's no reason that you couldn't keep your current world and make another new World when the update comes out. You can always use your original World.

Due to the way Worlds are created in this game, it isn't really feasible to add new biomes or structures into older worlds as it would be tricky to modify a player's world that way and risk interfering with a build a player might already have in their world. Ultimately to experience things like the Oasis, a new world will be required for those aspects. I imagine a fair portion of the new items will still be obtainable through older worlds depending on how they're obtained.

Tbh, if you have already a whole building world. Then I don't think you want your buildings randomly replaced with the new minibiomes instead.

World generation will only happen when making new worlds. So I do recommend making a new one to experience all the newly generated content.

As for old worlds. It really depends on what is neccesary. Usually you can shape most of the biomes to your own. So it's likely you can create or transfer the items to your main one if neccesary.

Now, what I mean by this is will current worlds we have be updated with new Journey's End world content. This many include possible new biomes like the Oasis or whatever new zones they have in story for us, or possible new ores or whatever features may come in Journey's End.

In general, new versions of Terraria will not transform old worlds to have new stuff in them.

Now, most biomes in Terraria are based on the presence of certain blocks. So it is possible that terrain in one version of Terraria which would be the default biome would be able to become a new biome based on the presence of whatever was there before. For example, an Oasis biome might be a Desert biome that has X amount of water in it. So if you happened to have a desert biome in a 1.3 world that had X amount of water in it, then when you load it up in the new version of Terraria, it would count as being an Oasis, within the vicinity of the water.

Of course, most biomes in Terraria are based on blocks that didn't exist in older versions. The Marble mini-biome requires marble, which didn't exist in 1.2. So a 1.2-generated world would not have any marble in it, so it couldn't have a Marble biome. Not unless you transplant marble into it.

Now, the Journey's End stuff we know includes changes to existing biomes, which may be applicable to existing worlds. But these would be different behavior/visuals/enemies, not terrain.

If you want access to all of the 1.4 content, you will need to create a new world.

The reason i'm looking for this is because in the past year I have poured a lot of time and effort into building cool things for one specific world I have right now, and I'm looking forward to the possibility of using this world in Terraria 1.4. I would hate to have to start from scratch again with a new world, but I guess I could reuse that world and use it as my "building world" where I just use it for building projects. I'd still prefer getting some use out of those cool creations and using them as my base for me and my friends, though.

You can do that just fine. Indeed, I used an old 1.1 world as my storage/castle world for many years. I only abandoned it when it became clear that I just had too much stuff, and there wasn't enough room to fit it all without doing a major rebuild. So I just built it on a fresh world.

This is what I'm also worried about. I have made a huge build in version 1.3. What I'm wondering is if the game progression, story-wise and the moments when new biomes/items appear, would get glitched/bugged if I use TEdit to copy my 1.3 build (containing many items and certain blocks) to a newly created 1.4 world.

This is what I'm also worried about. I have made a huge build in version 1.3. What I'm wondering is if the game progression, story-wise and the moments when new biomes/items appear, would get glitched/bugged if I use TEdit to copy my 1.3 build (containing many items and certain blocks) to a newly created 1.4 world.

Well, let's get one issue out of the way: it will be glitched/bugged, because TEdit will take time to be fully compatible with 1.4. ;)

However, once the program has been updated to support 1.4, it should be fine. I copied a chunk of a world originally generated in 1.1 into a 1.3 world without incident. And that included items in chests and so forth.

That being said, you probably shouldn't bother. At least, not initially. You're going to want to start a fresh playthrough on a fresh world to experience the new content as its meant to be used. And while starting off with a few choice items is always nice (personally, I always give myself a gold pickaxe/axe and a mirror), you don't want to give yourself everything up-front.

I am still using a 1.1 world as my base... it is HEAVILY modified.

Ever since 1.2 came out I have been happily modifying it. It now has living trees, marble biomes, snow, crimson, and anything else I felt I wanted it to have. It is immensely easy to add a lot of elements to old worlds... it just requires a lot of building!

Of course, there are some things you will never be able to add, such as underground desert or spider caves (no stylist for me).

If you really want to keep an old world you can, you will just have to build a great deal and compromise on some elements.

Back
Top Bottom