Is this a good idea

• Yeah mate

Votes: 13 65.0%
  • Nah

Votes: 7 35.0%

• Total voters

Llama_Lord_55

Terrarian
I never really liked fishing, especially hunting for bait. I just want the Angler to have a shop where he sells different baits, fishing polls, and maybe fish.
I just want to know if anybody else wants this too?

I voted yes, because I would like to see the Angler have a shop like the Tavernkeep, where you get a token every time you complete a fishing quest and can then spend it on his inventory.
It'd make it not so ridiculously hard/luck-based to get a weather radio, pocket guide, and sextant.
I'd love it if all his quest rewards would be in this shop, with varying prices, except for the quest rewards that you get by doing a certain number of fishing quests.
(E.g. no bunny rides/golden fishing rods in the shop.)

Bait is easy to come by, so I'm not worried about that. Grab a bunch of worms on a rainy night, or fireflies on one of those random nights where they spawn in swarms, and you'll be set for a long time. And as you do more and more quests, he provides you with even more bait. Crates have bait as well. Terraria is drowning in bait.
Him selling fish seems a bit silly to me. The point of him selling this stuff is to get you fishing.

Agreeing with Gotcha. But if tokens as another currency is not feasible for the Angler, unlock new items after completing enough quests, so you don't have to do dozens of quests for random chance rewards.

If bait was sold, it would have to be low-quality to encourage the player to still get better baits. Worms, Lightning Bugs and Fireflies are some of the better baits and are rather easy to find in sufficient quantities to use.

If the Angler ever has a shop, it should be for bait only. Otherwise you totally destroy the effort and the niché that the quests and fishing have.
If you can buy armoured cave fish, then why even fish for them? If you can just buy the golden fishing rod, why bother completing quests for it? etc.

Maybe only have him sell bait after a certain amount of fishing quests have been completed?

It was cenx saying that the Reaver Shark is much rarer now.

The problem is, if something's overpowered, making it "rarer" isn't going to help much, especially when it's something that can easily be spammed... like fishing.

If the devs want it fishable pre-hardmode, but don't want it sequence-breaking so much, then there are a couple of proper solutions, neither of which is "most players don't get to do this, but you're lucky or maybe you just put in your ten hours work". You can dial back the power, or put a real gate in front of it... or both: Suppose you fish up a NerfShark that can match a platinum pickaxe or so, but you can combine it with something to get the power of the current Reaver Shark. The obvious choices for the "something" fall along a scale: Meteorite bars, Evil ore/bars, Evil pickaxe (or just Scales/Samples), obsidian, or Hellstone ore/bars, depending when you want to allow it.

That said, I don't think having the Reaver Shark be overpowered is that much of a problem -- yeah it's mildly sequence-breaking, but it's part of a pattern where fishing allows for limited sequence breaking. Other pattern members are the Rockfish, Sawtooth Shark, and the Falcon Blade (IMHO overshadowing the more direct Swordfish). And fishing for biome crates can get you some of their chest items.

The other thing is, there actually is a gate of sorts there: You need to be able to get to the ocean (always across evil, and perhaps jungle as well), get bait, and survive fishing out there long enough to snag an RS (which also needs some fishing power). You can do that with raw skill and guts, but most folks will take a little more time to de-crunchify themselves first.

It's not as bright a line as "I beat EOC", but it's something.

Regarding the original topic, I'd like to see some more controllable way to get the various rewards. Items like the Golden Fishing Rod, the Fuzzy Carrot, or the Angler "armor" would be unlocked for purchase when you earn one for a numbered quest. That way you can replace them if, say, your mediumcore character died in a lava lake. But you'd get to choose what to spend your tokens on -- Tacklebox components, fish-finder components, Golden Bug net etc, replacement armor, potions, vanity items, bait. Note that Master Bait currently sells for 10 silver, which implies a purchase price of half a gold apiece. That seems fair to me, but the Angler might have a markup anyway.

I was about to Vote No till I thought about it more, and looked at what others had to say. Yeah he should own a shop that sell’s Bait since it is annoying having to go catch it get more.

Back
Top Bottom