PC Terraria's Future

Should Terraria Keep Releasing Big Updates Like 1.5, 1.6, And So On?

• Yes!

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Pheonixy

Terrarian
I first started playing Terraria on Xbox 360 around 2015, then switched over PC a year later, and in fact I'm still playing it till this day. Terraria has been a great game all these years, but after hearing about "Terraria: Journey's End" being the last update it made me think about its future and how the game will continue to strive and be popular. This did happen with 1.3 where the developers said it was the last update, but then continued adding more things. So my question is that will the game really continue having big updates like 1.5 and so on? If not, this will really upset me, because its hard seeing a game you've spent your childhood on go away and fade into the darkness.

Minecraft has been out for 10+ years, and they are still releasing good updates. Unturned is another game on steam, it has weekly updates even though it came out 3 years after Terraria.

I'd prefer Terraria 2 to 1.5

Unturned and Minecraft both lost me a long time ago, they kept updating when it was no longer necessary or in the wrong directions.

I'd prefer Terraria 2 to 1.5

Unturned and Minecraft both lost me a long time ago, they kept updating when it was no longer necessary or in the wrong directions.
Terraria 2 most likely will not happen, the developers said 1.3 would be the last update, and they continued the game updates to 1.4 now. 1.4 is also well delayed, probably because they were working on "Terraria: Overworld" which got canceled. 1.4 would've got released last year if it wasn't for "Terraria: Overworld". Hopefully they stop the game at 1.5 rather than 1.4.

Terraria 2 most likely will not happen, the developers said 1.3 would be the last update, and they continued the game updates to 1.4 now. 1.4 is also well delayed, probably because they were working on "Terraria: Overworld" which got canceled. 1.4 would've got released last year if it wasn't for "Terraria: Overworld". Hopefully they stop the game at 1.5 rather than 1.4.
They literally just discussed Terraria 2 multiple times, in the 1.4 announcement and anniversary. Re-Logic wasn't even working on Otherworld.

I think it would be better to stop at 1.4 and have terraria 2 then have 1.5.
Adding post moon lord content wouldn’t make sense (Epic build up with the cultists, celestial towers, Impending Doom.) 1.4 is polishing all of the games content and adding 800+ items. I think 1.5 would probably bloat everything, and you can’t keep polishing everything.

Re-logic are clearly ready to let Terraria rest with this update, and that's absolutely fine and I look forward to seeing what games they produce in the future.

I don't understand what you mean by this.
Unturned's updates have slowed down because U2 is going to be open to the public fairly soon.
But both for Unturned AND Minecraft, non of the updates have been unnecessary. I don't know what you mean by that, if you're subtly implying that the 1.9 update for MC was "unnecessary" then I'd respectfully disagree because people were begging for combat changes back then, recently they were changed again too. Other than that one update, every update for Terraria, Unturned and Minecraft have all been beneficial. Necessary is a weird word, because no game is required to update, no update is strictly necessary unless it's fixing game breaking bugs or features. Unturned's updates were all necessary too, so again, I really don't know what you mean here.

Re-logic are clearly ready to let Terraria rest with this update, and that's absolutely fine and I look forward to seeing what games they produce in the future.
I think it would be better to stop at 1.4 and have terraria 2 then have 1.5.
Adding post moon lord content wouldn’t make sense (Epic build up with the cultists, celestial towers, Impending Doom.) 1.4 is polishing all of the games content and adding 800+ items. I think 1.5 would probably bloat everything, and you can’t keep polishing everything.
What if the community doesn't want 1.4 (Terraria: Journey's End) to be the last update? not everyone voted for that. I would really want the Developers to keep adding frequent updates to the game by removing glitches and bugs. 1.3 still has many glitches and bugs that haven't been patched yet, for example the bug where in expert multiplayer the treasure bag sometimes bugs out and never drops upon the boss's death (yes, even if i did damage it too.) I think this decision should be to the community, where we decide if this should be the last update.

When I heard about "Terraria: Overworld" I didn't even like a single bit of it, it just never felt like Terraria, but then after it got canceled I was relieved.

What if the community doesn't want 1.4 (Terraria: Journey's End) to be the last update? not everyone voted for that. I would really want the Developers to keep adding frequent updates to the game by removing glitches and bugs. 1.3 still has many glitches and bugs that haven't been patched yet, for example the bug where in expert multiplayer the treasure bag sometimes bugs out and never drops upon the boss's death (yes, even if i did damage it too.) I think this decision should be to the community, where we decide if this should be the last update.

When I heard about "Terraria: Overworld" I didn't even like a single bit of it, it just never felt like Terraria, but then after it got canceled I was relieved.
I think this is what people mean when they talk about gamer "entitlement". In almost any other situation I would be in favor of a community over a company, but you are fundamentally misunderstanding this situation here. This isn't a community project. It isn't a community decision. It's Re-Logic's decision, nobody else's.

And for the last time, 1.4 is not the last update. ImI frustrated with all the game-breaking bugs too, but they're going to be fixed 1.4 or no.
[doublepost=1561744514,1561743991][/doublepost]

I don't understand what you mean by this.
Unturned's updates have slowed down because U2 is going to be open to the public fairly soon.
But both for Unturned AND Minecraft, non of the updates have been unnecessary. I don't know what you mean by that, if you're subtly implying that the 1.9 update for MC was "unnecessary" then I'd respectfully disagree because people were begging for combat changes back then, recently they were changed again too. Other than that one update, every update for Terraria, Unturned and Minecraft have all been beneficial. Necessary is a weird word, because no game is required to update, no update is strictly necessary unless it's fixing game breaking bugs or features. Unturned's updates were all necessary too, so again, I really don't know what you mean here.
Unturned 3.0+ is a disaster. It completely broke everything I liked about the game and destroyed it graphically as well. Nobody plays 2.6 classic anymore because the game's population was so small in the first place.

1.9 is tolerable in my book, but certainly not well thought-out. It failed to address the actual core problems with the way combat was structured and favored weak solutions that just destroyed the pvp community (a huge portion unlike Terraria) and made survival less enjoyable. 1.7 was definitely my least favorite as for every interesting biome or natural element, something horrifically detrimental like biome temperature scaling, rarity values, and simplified cave generation were added. Several post-1.9 updates barely added anything of value at all, and to date some of the game's core elements like mining have received nothing but downgrades. Minecraft is a shadow of its former self.

I think this is what people mean when they talk about gamer "entitlement". In almost any other situation I would be in favor of a community over a company, but you are fundamentally misunderstanding this situation here. This isn't a community project. It isn't a community decision. It's Re-Logic's decision, nobody else's.

And for the last time, 1.4 is not the last update. ImI frustrated with all the game-breaking bugs too, but they're going to be fixed 1.4 or no.
I still don't think they really came to a final conclusion about "Terraria: Journey's End" being the last big update. There is still more to fix and add.

Even though its Re-logic's decision that they stop bringing big updates to Terraria, they should first ask the community about this situation. Because we are the one that plays their game.

I still don't think they really came to a final conclusion about "Terraria: Journey's End" being the last big update. There is still more to fix and add.

Even though its Re-logic's decision that they stop bringing big updates to Terraria, they should first ask the community about this situation. Because we are the one that plays their game.
They’re gonna add some bug fixes after 1.4 and that will be it.
Also it is literally “Journeys End.” The game will end and we will get Terraria 2.

Not everyone wants Terraria 2, like I said, Re-logic should allow the community to make this decision.
That's not how game development works. Re-Logic has zero obligation to do what their community wants them to do. Sure, it's in their best interest to make decisions that are in line with what their community wants them to do, but if they don't think those decisions are good in the long term, or just flat out don't want to make them (working on one and the same game for six years gets boring), then they won't, and there's no obligation (either moral or transactional) for them to do so anyway.

Besides, "keep making updates" is a rather empty desire: those updates need to contain content. You're not suggesting they add anything specifically that you'd like to see in game, effectively you are saying you just want them to keep working on Terraria for the apparent sake of it. But like any project, whether a book series, a film series, a building complex, a study or indeed a video game, at some point it's simply done, either because there's nothing more to add, because there's nothing left worth adding, or because time spent adding stuff is better spent elsewhere.

I get that people don't want development to end, but frankly, you can't expect (let alone demand) that Re-Logic should keep working on Terraria until they all retire. On the one hand because eventually it will just fall apart from content bloat, engine limitations being hit and/or dependencies no longer being supported, but on the other, in my opinion more important hand, because they can't emotionally be expected to: they want to move on, try something new. Not just because they, as a company, need to make money (Terraria is by my estimates incredibly lucrative, but even that won't last forever), but also because you simply can't work on the same project forever without it becoming dull, tedious, repetitive or, simply put, a grind.

That's not how game development works. Re-Logic has zero obligation to do what their community wants them to do. Sure, it's in their best interest to make decisions that are in line with what their community wants them to do, but if they don't think those decisions are good in the long term, or just flat out don't want to make them (working on one and the same game for six years gets boring), then they won't, and there's no obligation (either moral or transactional) for them to do so anyway.

Besides, "keep making updates" is a rather empty desire: those updates need to contain content. You're not suggesting they add anything specifically that you'd like to see in game, effectively you are saying you just want them to keep working on Terraria for the apparent sake of it. But like any project, whether a book series, a film series, a building complex, a study or indeed a video game, at some point it's simply done, either because there's nothing more to add, because there's nothing left worth adding, or because time spent adding stuff is better spent elsewhere.

I get that people don't want development to end, but frankly, you can't expect (let alone demand) that Re-Logic should keep working on Terraria until they all retire. On the one hand because eventually it will just fall apart from content bloat, engine limitations being hit and/or dependencies no longer being supported, but on the other, in my opinion more important hand, because they can't emotionally be expected to: they want to move on, try something new. Not just because they, as a company, need to make money (Terraria is by my estimates incredibly lucrative, but even that won't last forever), but also because you simply can't work on the same project forever without it becoming dull, tedious, repetitive or, simply put, a grind.
I guess you're right about this. But how is MInecraft (a 10+ year old game) still bringing quality updates every now and then?

Who said all of Minecraft’s updates have been good ones? I can name a few off the bat that weren’t (1.9,1.10, etc)
The reason for the last 2 mc updates were that the previous areas were absolute CRAP. The ocean was just gravel, and villages were just cobblestone and wood, and villagers did nothing except walk around. Now the ocean has coral reefs, turtles, fish, and drowned, while villages have varied buildings, and villagers work.

Keep in mind that freaking MICROSOFT owns Minecraft. Minecraft also has NO SENSE of progression whatsoever. You have iron and diamond and boom I have best armor in game.

Minecraft also has infinite worlds so there’s not much to bloat, it’s more of a building and mining game, not a combat and progression game. Terraria can’t go past moon lord Rn (as I have stated above) so it would be bloating the progression tiers. Again since terraria 2 is probably happening then you get new things to do, it’s like a refresh/restart. Without refreshing into a new game, terraria just gonna bloat up progression.

Terraria 2, not 1.5 and beyond.

I guess you're right about this. But how is MInecraft (a 10+ year old game) still bringing quality updates every now and then?
Because their motive is different.

Mojang operates a subscription based server model (Realms), which means they have a monetary incentive to keep people coming back. Terraria does not have such a model, so Re-Logic could stop updating without suffering a hit in revenue. In fact, Mojang was bought by Microsoft for no other reason than to make money; Minecraft is not a passion project for them, it's just a product. So the only reason they still update Minecraft is to make money, and they will stop doing so as soon as Minecraft is no longer profitable. Re-Logic on the other hand still updates Terraria because of a combination of them wanting to and their community wanting them to. There's barely any monetary incentive (updates are free, and while they can potentially attract new customers, I think the majority of those who are ever going to buy Terraria have done so by now), so essentially it comes down to what they want to do.

Who said all of Minecraft’s updates have been good ones? I can name a few off the bat that weren’t (1.9,1.10, etc)
The reason for the last 2 mc updates were that the previous areas were absolute CRAP. The ocean was just gravel, and villages were just cobblestone and wood, and villagers did nothing except walk around. Now the ocean has coral reefs, turtles, fish, and drowned, while villages have varied buildings, and villagers work.

Keep in mind that freaking MICROSOFT owns Minecraft. Minecraft also has NO SENSE of progression whatsoever. You have iron and diamond and boom I have best armor in game.

Minecraft also has infinite worlds so there’s not much to bloat, it’s more of a building and mining game, not a combat and progression game. Terraria can’t go past moon lord Rn (as I have stated above) so it would be bloating the progression tiers. Again since terraria 2 is probably happening then you get new things to do, it’s like a refresh/restart. Without refreshing into a new game, terraria just gonna bloat up progression.

Terraria 2, not 1.5 and beyond.
Right now for my poll its 3 people that want 1.5 but 3 people don't want 1.5 and so on.

Dude, if you're desperate for content to the point where you want the developers to add LITERALLY ANYTHING, it's time to look into mods. Even red said that's what will keep alive after 1.4... And if you say that mods don't have enough quality you haven't seen thorium.

Dude, if you're desperate for content to the point where you want the developers to add LITERALLY ANYTHING, it's time to look into mods. Even red said that's what will keep alive after 1.4... And if you say that mods don't have enough quality you haven't seen thorium.
Other people want 1.5 too, not just me. I don't think you've been on the steam terraria forums.

Back
Top Bottom