How come the solar pillar is so much harder?

Hope

Terrarian
I mean, everything else feels more manageble, the only other one that feels annoying is the Nebula one with the insta teleport on hit and super damage laser eyeballs. In all the others you can fly around and get room to dodge, on solar you get a giant worm that will say destroy you if you try, and staying on the ground means facing enemies that run up to you at 100mph, and one that goes through terrain and rushes you from the edge of the screen without knockback affecting it.

I remenber that the go through terrain enemies couldn't act that way if there was a block in the way, but now, they just ignore that and rush you the second they are on the screen, and since you can't get far above without the worm to get in the way, or knockback pushing it away the event feels quite unbalanced. Even staying on a above ground platform for the event dosn't work that great since they can still rush upwards.

Because it's kind of not.

Different playstyles struggle in different ways during this events. Summoners and mages (or indeed, a summoner using the right magic weapon) absolutely ruin solar pillar with their immense amounts of crowd control. The same setup might get pretty wrekt on Nebula and Stardust, where flow invaders punish players who kill them absentmindedly and the brains waste a lot of time.

Solar is only the hardest one sometimes for me. Other time, Nebula gives a ton of trouble to my characters, and a few builds in particular even found Vortex extremely tough to manage.

Because it's kind of not.

Different playstyles struggle in different ways during this events. Summoners and mages (or indeed, a summoner using the right magic weapon) absolutely ruin solar pillar with their immense amounts of crowd control. The same setup might get pretty wrekt on Nebula and Stardust, where flow invaders punish players who kill them absentmindedly and the brains waste a lot of time.

Solar is only the hardest one sometimes for me. Other time, Nebula gives a ton of trouble to my characters, and a few builds in particular even found Vortex extremely tough to manage.
For once I DIS-agree with you.

If we're being honest, here, Solar Pillar is an absolute monster. Crawltipedes absolutely :red:wreck anyone who even thinks about flyin' around (aka, standard movement in lategame Terraria, so completely unexpected and VERY frustrating to get used to). The other enemies either fly through walls or are incredibly fast and can be right in your face from off-screen in the blink of an eye, tearing up your health pretty quickly.

Mobs in other pillars don't do nearly as much damage as Solar enemies. Not nearly. Not even close. They all rely on gimmicks of some kind. Solar Pillar does not f*** around.

That's not to say that Solar Pillar can't just be completely :red:wrecked, now. I've said it before and I'll say it again. Solar Eruption is so laughably effective here it's insane.

But I haven't had even ONE instance where a build that let me rip the tar out of Solar Pillar left me ill-prepared for another Pillar. There is no build that is super effective on Solar that gets :red:wrecked anywhere else. At least not in my experience.

Well, you hit the nail on the head: The worms force you to stay grounded, while Corites, Srollers, and Selenians crash into you and clip through blocks.

Although they can clip through blocks, they do seem to need someplace to land (which is probably why Redigit and his evil minions employed the worm to force you to STAY on the ground), and I've found that terrain matters a great deal. Flat land is the deadliest when fighting the Solar Pillar, in my experience. If you can get inside a small valley, a Crimson or tundra cave entrance, or even the Dungeon entrance, and if you have a weapon with good reach and/or that can go through blocks, you should have a much easier time of it.

Selection of weapons is important. Enemies must spawn from off-screen, so if you are able to use the Star Wrath or Lunar Flare (or the Blizzard Staff, etc.), concentrate your fire just past the edges of the screen to damage them as they spawn, or, if in a valley or cave, concentrate your fire along the outside edges at an angle so that you can catch as many of them as possible while they're trying to get to you.

If you're really having trouble, you can build small arenas/defensive fortifications at the locations where pillars spawn, i.e. at 20% intervals (depends on world size; divide total block width by 5) from one edge of the world to the other, except of course for the middle.

If you're very, very good, and with the right equipment, you could stay airborne and dodge/kill the worms every time, but if you were that good, we wouldn't be having this conversation (I'm not that good, either).

For me, the Solar pillar is one of the easier ones. The first time I fought it, I just built a small shack, and flung my Death Sickle at my foes.
I got hit by some Corites every now and then, but apart from that, it worked just fine.

After I got the Solar Eruption, it was a walk in the park.

The one I always seem to have an issue with is the nebula pillar. Those damn evolution beasts fire projectiles that always seem to escape my notice, and while I'm focused on the flying brains, I don't realize I'm at 1/4th life.

Solar Pillar is easy
ESPECIALLY CRAWLTEPEDES
To avoid them just stay on the ground
How to kill crawltepedes
Ranger-Use Chlorophyte Bullets to kill crawltepeds
Mage-Use Razorblade Typhoon and Rainbow Gun
Summoner-Raven Staff and Frost Hydra Staff
Melee:possesed Hatchet

Eh, the Solar Pillar is pretty easy once you discover that Crawltipedes ignore you if you're on a platform.

The hard one for me is the Nebula Pillar. Evolution Beasts' homing orb things are really a pain, as are the teleporting Nebula Floaters.

I find that all have some annoying enemies.

For me on Solar Pillar:Corites (Since if I fly, I die.. and they pass through blocks)

Vortex Pillar: Hornets being spawned on my head constantly

Nebula:The Floaters

And Stardust:Flow Invaders. (I find Stardust Pillar the easiest tho.)

Your two nemeses in this fight are Srollers and Crawltipedes.

If you stay on the ground, you get Srolled. If you fly to avoid them, you get Crawltipe'd.
Both deal ~180 DMG on hit.

Pick your poison.

If you're using the UFO, you can actually hover 10 or so blocks above the ground without getting attacked by Crawltipedes. This is very important, because it heavily increases your mobility.

Building a tall platform above the pillar doesn't seem to work from what I've tested. My main character is a mage and the Last Prism is my child, but it doesn't seem to do much against these damn crawlipedes. It takes 17 years for it to turn, making it a very unreliable weapon agas bat the worms. The nebula blaze works quite well, as the projectiles target the tail.

I personally find the solar pillar to be one of the easier ones, and the nebula pillar to be the undisputed hardest.

Obviously there's the stuff with the wings, but I imagine there's a big class disparity here too - if you play a class with projectiles, the Solar Pillar is going to have a difficulty spike with the Selenians, where if you're playing summoner or melee, they're just another enemy and you don't have to worry about accidentally gibbing yourself while not paying attention.

Also, if you're melee and you're killing Crawltipedes with anything other than Vampire Knives, you're doing it wrong. Them sweet sweet heals...

I haven’t read all the replies so idk if its already been said.

I find the solar pillar to only be hard before you know how to use the shield of cuthulu. I mean, all you have to do is “jump -> dash -> hook -> repeat” at the right time and you’ll be golden. That being said, the nebula pillar is definitely the hardest one. The brains are the most annoying things in the world and the purple orbs the evolution things shoot out make dashing around on ground stupidly annoying.

Edit: it depends on the class you are playing a lot too

I find Solar harder as some enemies can go through walls meaning you can't just build a small shack near the pillar. However, when I did ranged it felt much easier when I could use my range to my advantage against the pillar.

I find solar by far the hardest as I'm a bullet hell player and to strip me of flight is to strip me of my power. I can nohit all the other pillars because of flight and I usually remain aware of everything on screen but with solar everything is just tanky enough that even if I see everything I can't kill them fast enough.

Back
Top Bottom