tModLoader Leveling Weapons

ScalarVector

Terrarian
Leveling Weapons

---------------------------------------------------------------------What is this?---------------------------------------------------------------------
In brief, Leveling Weapons was an experiment that I decided that I wanted to turn into a fully fleshed-out mod. It aims to add a few unique weapons to the game, with functionalities such as scaling stats, selectable abilities with cool-downs, and of course, fancy VFX.

The mod is still under heavy development, and the goal of this post is to gather some feedback and testing from the community. Currently a single weapon is implemented; the weapon functions as intended by itself, but is currently in a rather unbalanced state. I currently plan to implement a total of 6 weapons, one for each core class for pre-hardmode and hardmode.

---------------------------------------------------------------------Content---------------------------------------------------------------------

----------Mechanics----------
The main gimmick of Leveling Weapons is well... the leveling!
Level.png

As this mod's weapons are used in combat, the damage that you deal with them is translated into experience for that weapon. When your weapon levels up, it gains the stats listed in it's tooltip. Currently the maximum level for weapons is 10.

All of your experience and levels are saved when you exit the world, no matter where your weapon is (as long as it isn't dropped, of course).

----------Weapons----------
Currently the only implemented weapon is the pre-hardmode melee weapon, the Koranithus
Koranithus.png

The Koranithus

This mighty sword comes with a slew of unique unlockable abilities, which you can choose between as you level it up!

UI_done.png

One of the active ability choices, Slag Ward in use
Slagward.gif

This ability creates 3 protective wards around the player, which block projectiles and explode for high damage on contact.

It has a 30 second cool-down, but while holding your sword a helpful UI element to show your ability's cool-down will be shown!
Cooldowndisplay.gif

To obtain this sword, one would wish to seek materials that only reveal themselves at acts of extreme valor.

Such an act might include defeating the cursed guardian of the dungeon without wearing protective equipment, or possibly defeating a great evil with no trinkets in hand.

---------------------------------------------------------------------Downloads and Discord---------------------------------------------------------------------

A release download for the mod is currently unavailable, and it is not currently on the mod browser. If you want to play with/help test the mod, join the discord server and ask a staff member for the alpha build role to get access to an alpha download!

--> Discord <--

---------------------------------------------------------------------Credits---------------------------------------------------------------------

Me: Fueling my ego!
KittyKitCatCat: Some dev help
Verveine: for helping me out with working out some UI crashes

View attachment 224730 View attachment 224731
Some UI reworks! The hotbar UI now features text pertaining to the held weapon's mechanics and an experience bar, and the upgrade UI is more compact and includes a VFX toggle and ability reset button!
Wow, awesome! I have a idea though: How about making so that weapons reaching above level ten "ascends", which gives them a large bonus to stats as well as going back to level 1 ? The number of ascencions will be tracked like levels, but their exp is the levels.

In my opinion the idea is interesting because the possibilite of having a weapon (besides of the golden shower) of the entire run with a exponetial growrate on the stats.
In addition I have two questionsl.
1. Have the weapon level a limit? And if this is the case which way will the limit expand?
2. How will the selection of the aviable active Skills of the same weapon during a fight managed?

In my opinion the idea is interesting because the possibilite of having a weapon (besides of the golden shower) of the entire run with a exponetial growrate on the stats.
In addition I have two questionsl.
1. Have the weapon level a limit? And if this is the case which way will the limit expand?
2. How will the selection of the aviable active Skills of the same weapon during a fight managed?

> All weapons currently have a limit at level 10. I dont have any plans in the direct future to expand upon this, but I may implement a way to further upgrade them in teh future

> All duplicates of the same weapon share their resource, for example, using an ability on a koranithus will force you to wait for that abilities cooldown to finish before being able to use any other abilities on any other Koranithus, but other unique weapons will still be able to use their abilities.

This is close to exactly the kind of mod I've been looking for. Can this system be applied to all weapons? One of the sucky parts of Terraria is many weapons are only usable for a boss or two. A very simple leveling/upgrade system would let people retain those weapons a little longer.

Is this mod still in works? Looks like this thread was very active for a few months then the posting stopped.

Back
Top Bottom