Making 1.4 worlds have all 8 starter ores could help flesh out pre-hardmode gameplay

RYTEDR

Terrarian
By starter ores, I'm referring to the basic ores found in caves before Demonite/Crimtane tier ores.

Currently the worlds you create will select 4 out of 8 random ores to appear in the world during world generation, and I feel that really squanders a lot of potential for interesting crafting options throughout the early game.

If you could have both copper and tin on the same world, you could do cool things like combine them to make bronze bars, which could be used for new armor and weapons that could have more unique effects, or simply use the bars for aesthetic purposes.

I'm thinking of stuff like leadskin potions, which would provide you with less armor but perhaps poison enemies who touch you. Now you also need strictly iron to make ironskin potions.

Also, now that these 8 distinct ores don't need to be basically the same for progression since they are all available, you could have some ore sets be more intricate than others. Instead of tungsten just being slightly stronger than silver, it could be a more melee-focused set while silver is more ranged-focused, or they could both just have entirely different effects unrelated to melee/ranged combat, such as silver armor and weapons are more effective against creatures that spawn in the night because of the whole 'silver harms creatures of the night' fantasy.

I don't know, I just feel like the weakest aspect of Terraria lies in the relatively shallow early game, and I feel that exploring something like this would really help to flesh it out and make it more interesting.

Any thoughts? Feel free to share any ideas you might have regarding the implementation of this idea.

Gamplay wise, I think that would be a lot of different ores and clutter in the world. since they both have to share their list.
You'll have to put more time to find the ores you need, which will likely lead to skip for higher tier ores faster.

Gamplay wise, I think that would be a lot of different ores and clutter in the world. since they both have to share their list.
You'll have to put more time to find the ores you need, which will likely lead to skip for higher tier ores faster.

Forgive me if I'm mistaken, but is it not standard gameplay to often skip multiple tiers of ore depending on what you manage to find?

I almost always end up skipping to gold/plat tier many times in standard gameplay, and only end up crafting the lower tier stuff for completionist purposes. Adding more variety to earlygame ore would make it less likely to get the highest tier ore immediately and making it more difficult to skip tiers as easily as it currently is could actually be a good thing.

Not only that, but if the earlygame armors had more unique effects, you'd have more incentive to complete these sets and to seek them out and to not skip them. As it is, copper/tin thru gold/platinum only differ purely in statistics, which encourages you to rush to get the best set possible.

The idea is all about making the earlygame more relevant and engaging, as the earlygame is where Terraria is most lacking IMO.

Last edited:
I support this idea/suggestion. And yeah, you are right. They should make ores in different tiers unique from each other.

As someone mentioned above, having all ore variations available in one world just makes the specific ore you are looking for harder to obtain while progressing. You'd have to add/change quite a lot if you want to make this a good change. A problem with the game is that having four different ore variations is pointless as people usually just make Lead/Iron armor and the Golden/Platinum Bow and just go for EoC and EoW/BoC with that; having all 8 ores in a world does nothing to solve this problem and just clutters the world more with ores.

Also the ore variety was added just so worlds would feel different from each other, kinda like Corruption/Crimson but not that significant. Removing that makes worlds feel more like the same thing.

The biggest problem when trying to flesh out the preEoC tier is that the power level is so low that anything you could add won't do anything significant and will still be replaced by the Demonite/Crimtane gear as soon as you kill EoC. This part of the game is meant to introduce new players into the game, and then everything gets more and more complex as you progress.

I somewhat like the idea of making exclusive items with each of the ores, but stuff like "Tungsten could be a melee oriented set, while Silver would focus on ranged damage" will barely change anything right now due to how weak things are supposed to be in the preEoC tier.

Back
Top Bottom