Augmented TCF - A Chrome Extension & FireFox Add-on

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I intended to post here again after the update earlier this month, just now getting around to it...

The parts of ATCF I use are still working fine, which is good. And for me, that's primarily the floating top menu, and warn on unsubmitted content. I haven't heard that anything else from ATCF was broken by the update, either.

There is another big forum software update coming on the horizon (maybe a month or so away, hopefully), and that's probably going to break everything about this add-on. So if you're working on this, Everest, you might want to wait to see what's coming up.

I can say a few things that we've learned:
  • the floating top menu is now integrated in the browser client end, so no need to re-do that. Seems to be always on for everyone.
  • There's a 'back to top' button at the lower right when you scroll down any page. I always wanted that, and now there it is for free.
  • Profile status/posts/comments get a full Rich Text editor in the upcoming version, just like thread posts. BBcode is fully integrated (whereas currently there's a limited set of bbcode provided from a third-party add-on).
  • Profile post/status character limits:
    • Status messages are set to 140. Theoretically, they could be as long as 420, but making them longer than 140 really messes up the member cards (which display your status). For that reason, we're not keen to increase that limit.
    • Profile messages/comments are limited to 420, period. The effort to make that bigger would be significant and may well be inconsistent with future upgrades/updates.
    • tl;dr: we're not planning on changing either limit.
  • Character counters for profile posts/comments - still don't see one for posts/comments, and also don't see the one we're used to now for statuses. Perhaps that's due to the bbcode support, I'm not sure. Still looking for options with that.
  • Almost everything else should look pretty much the same. Underneath the hood, though: everything changed.
Hopefully we'll have some new feature teasers to show to the community at large as we get closer to finalizing our upgrade plans.

Profile post/status character limits:
  • Status messages are set to 140. Theoretically, they could be as long as 420, but making them longer than 140 really messes up the member cards (which display your status). For that reason, we're not keen to increase that limit.
  • Profile messages/comments are limited to 420, period. The effort to make that bigger would be significant and may well be inconsistent with future upgrades/updates.
As it turns out, the next forum update will see the current status removed from member cards, and the status message can now be 420 characters long.

As I suspected: the character countdown timers are gone and would be very difficult to calculate accurately when you factor in BBCode so they just got rid of it. I find it annoying too when my status is too long as well.

Hey, I'm not too sure if you guys know about it ( well; you probably do anyway ) but I can't seem to get the extension for FireFox.
upload_2019-9-11_21-9-5.png

Hey, I'm not too sure if you guys know about it ( well; you probably do anyway ) but I can't seem to get the extension for FireFox.
Yes, we know. For now, you could try this if you want: Augmented TCF - A Chrome Extension & FireFox Add-on

We have a major forum update coming sometime very soon which will likely incorporate some of these features, so this extension probably won't work at all after that without some tweaking by Everest, if he is inclined to do that.

I don't know, unfortunately. I used that extension just the once - to create the Firefox-compatible file. I've been loading that file every time I restart my browser since then, and it still works for me.

Let me see if there is any identifying information (for me personally) in that file that was created. If not, I'll upload it here for people to try (completely at your own risk). All I use it for is the floating navigation bar (but I'm very attached to that feature).

When we get to our eventual forum software updates, I would be kind of surprised if this extension continued to work at all, unless Everest or someone else modifies it to keep working.

eta: after a quick check with Darthmorf, it seems to work for him. So here it is, completely without any guarantees.

1. I do not know how to make Firefox extensions myself.

2. This works for me, and I make NO CLAIM that it will work for anyone else.

3. I did not put anything in this to make it a virus or malware. If something on your computer

warns you that this is a virus or malware, then you have a choice to make. If you believe your

computer, then you should stop reading this and remove this download; you're done.

4. USE THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK. Again, I make NO CLAIM that this will work for you or that it will

NOT do something undesirable to your browser, computer, etc. If you have any worries or doubts

that this is something to be wary of, then you should stop reading this and remove this download;

you're done.

5. You may see error messages or warnings from Mozilla when you attempt to use this .XPI file. If

you are at all concerned about those messages and warnings, then you should stop reading this and

remove this download; you're done.

6. If you don't know how to use zip archives or how to extract the .XPI file to use it, don't ask

me about it. You should probably stop right here and remove the download; you're done.

7. I will not be responsible if you try this and it breaks something. I will not provide any

support for this, or help you if you get into trouble. You are completely on your own after this

point.
Unfortunately, ðis no longer works as Firefox only allows users to install verified addons.

Unfortunately, ðis no longer works as Firefox only allows users to install verified addons.
Not surprising, since I made that post 4 years and who knows how many updates of Firefox ago.

I edited my post to remove the attachment, and I think it's past time to lock this and unpin it. The original author is long gone.

Most of the features of this have been superceded by native features of the forum software as it updated through the years, anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom