Other nurse abuse

SaltyBeggar

Skeletron
nurse is the best NPC in terraria ever, why? you can cure yourself endlessly and in the wanted moment!
you can easily kill moon lord stopped by using the nurse, because you can abuse of it!
so, I have a suggestion to stop the nurse abuse, you can only cure yourself again with the nurse after 10 minutes, and because a boss fight generally ends after 2 or 3 minutes, it won't be abused.
"ten minutes is way too long!"
mods can add really tough post-moon lord bosses, and because this is the final terraria update, terraria will be now generally played with mods because of that, so, to stop the nurse abuse in modded terraria.

One thing I always wonder is why some people desperately want to remove things that they deem overpowered or cheesy.
Not everyone has the skills to take down the last boss (or other bosses) without help from the nurse. Why do you want to take this tactic away and make life harder for others?
As ppowersteef and many others have said before: Don't like a certain 'cheese' tactic, don't use it, and allow others to play the game the way they want to, with all the Gouda, Mozarella, Cheddar, and Swiss cheese that they can chew.

The nurse is fine as she is. She's in the game for a reason.

One thing I always wonder is why some people desperately want to remove things that they deem overpowered or cheesy.
Not everyone has the skills to take down the last boss (or other bosses) without help from the nurse. Why do you want to take this tactic away and make life harder for others?
As ppowersteef and many others have said before: Don't like a certain 'cheese' tactic, don't use it, and allow others to play the game the way they want to, with all the Gouda, Mozarella, Cheddar, and Swiss cheese that they can chew.

The nurse is fine as she is. She's in the game for a reason.
I get angry with these people.
instead of doing gardening, mining stuff, doing events and defeating bosses multiple times to get all the dropped items, simply use this cheese tactic to because then you won't need to do this stuff, only a bit of mining and farming. It doesn't require skill, potions, doing arenas and done! a broken experience in this game. This is why I want to remove the nurse abuse!

instead of doing gardening, mining stuff, doing events and defeating bosses multiple times to get all the dropped items, simply use this cheese tactic to because then you won't need to do this stuff, only a bit of mining and farming. It doesn't require skill, potions, doing arenas and done! a broken experience in this game. This is why I want to remove the nurse abuse!
Then don't worry about those people. You're not playing the game for them, so why take away their fun for something that you don't like? That's where the power of choice comes in, my friend. You don't have to use the nurse, but others can do so if they really do need it. The definition of fun is subjective, so maybe other people like to do only some mining and farming, rather than using their time getting all the preparation needed without the need of the nurse (which, mind you, can take a LOT of time. In other cases, not using the nurse takes skill that some gamers just don't possess. It's no reason to take away their fun, though.)

If you get angry over people using valid game mechanics in order to overcome difficulties, then that's a problem with you, not the game's mechanics.
Live and let live. Play and let play.

I don't want you to take this the wrong way, but I want you to read what I write here and think about it closely.

I was once your age. I once cared a lot - a lot - about "honor" and "legitimacy" in video games.

I would worry about doing things "legit" by my own standards of doing things "legit" and if somebody else didn't meet those standards, then I acted like they had no right to even be claiming the rewards they were getting from their inferior, dishonorable tactics.

I assumed I was the best ever. That I knew everything, that I had the best judgement. It was extremely arrogant of me to think like that, but that's just how I functioned.

One day, a new installment in the Fire Emblem series was announced with a new mode that revived units after they had died. I was livid. How dare they take away the series' most defining element so that the game would be more approachable by more casual users? Unreal! If you can't handle a unit dying forever, then either get better at the game or just reset your map progress like the rest of us!

I was expressing my dislike of this with somebody else I knew, and he hit me with a pretty big question.

Why does it matter?

And you know what? I wasn't able to answer them.

I realized, in that moment, my very line of thinking was purely selfish. I was effectively gatekeeping the content of the game - it's characters, it's story, it's music, everything - from people that I thought simply didn't deserve to see it just because they weren't "good enough." I've stopped caring about "legitimacy" in single player games since then.

That is what this suggestion is. You want to keep people from being able to get Moon Lord equipment just because they're not "good enough" to fight the boss by your own standards of "good enough" despite, in the current state of the game, and across the many various changes to the Moon Lord to make it more difficult to defeat, the Nurse was left alone as a viable strategy for fighting the boss.

Say we put the Nurse on a cooldown. What now?
Is it a measure of skill to ask a friend to help you defeat Moon Lord with their own, post-Moon Lord equipment?
Is it a measure of skill to ask a stranger if you don't have any friends interested in Terraria?
Is it a measure of skill to have ten Heart Statues and stand in a honey pit in Beetle armor?

Besides, you talk about mods here, but if a mod author thought the Nurse was busted, wouldn't they just put a cooldown on her instead?

You're entitled to your opinions, but your opinions are rooted somewhere, I believe, is misplaced. I cannot change your mind, but I promise you that your ability to enjoy video games will be heightened if you stop worrying about how other people are playing them. After all, how somebody else is playing a game alone is not affecting your game whatsoever.

I implore you to seriously, seriously think about this for a bit. I remember that part of my life, and it was utterly miserable - if I can help even one other person get out of that funk a little faster, I'll be relieved.

Considering that they're removing nurse cheese during the moon lord fight in 1.4, it honestly doesn't really matter anymore. The moon lord is such a colossal skill check that if you cheesed literally any boss up to that point then you simply won't have the skills necessary to defeat it. I don't think a cooldown is necessary.

Also, every time someone says "if you don't like it then don't use it" I picture a last prism crafted from one dirt block by hand that does 7 billion damage and consumes no mana. If you don't like it, then don't use it! Why worry about multiplayer? Why worry about balance in the slightest?

Last edited:
You got a source for that?
upload_2019-4-15_11-21-1.png

Boom, look at the second change. I suppose it's not final that they're straight up removing it, but it's very very likely.

You got a source for that?
In the official Discord server, there was discussion about measures being put in place to avoid healing cheese in lategame.

The most immediate one I see is "healing is more expensive now, it's based on progression" but there's also Redigit saying this, so... Take it as you will.

1572885939680.png

In the official Discord server, there was discussion about measures being put in place to avoid healing cheese in lategame.

The most immediate one I see is "healing is more expensive now, it's based on progression" but there's also Redigit saying this, so... Take it as you will.

View attachment 229532
Good, looks like I'll have a fast way to kill my least used npc now. (seriously though I haven't used the nurse in YEARS)

Last edited:
Thanks to the both of you.

Increasing the cost shouldn't bother anyone, unless it starts to cost ludicrous amounts.

I'm not liking Red's comment though. Of course it's unclear what they'll be doing, but I hope they'll not be making it impossible for many players to defeat the Moon Lord.
I guess we'll find out sooner or later.

Instead of nerfing the nurse, there could be a debuff that prevents the player from healing from the nurse?
Moonbite :naughty:

In all seriousness, moon lord isn't that unfair if you do a lot of preparation. People have a habit of hyperbolizing things that they don't have much practice against. Just look at the martian saucer, people say it's a brutal fight, but it's actually pretty easy to dodge his attacks if you actually bother to learn them. The moon lords attacks are all telegraphed by different motions the pupils make in both phases, but the reason it's a little unfair is because you have to pay attention to three things at once at all times, and this is understandably very difficult for most people.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom