tModLoader [1.4.4] TerraGuardians - Terraria Companions Mod

Yep, another TerraGuardian update, but this one will not have a patch note.

This update adds another guardian, Nemesis, the Wraith.
Nemesis is literally a human like guardian, so making it use player armors, allows the armor to be seen worn by it.
Nemesis can come as Male or Female, the gender it comes with depends on your luck (or simply the rng).

Since this is a gift, If you enter the game until October 31th 2019, the character you enter the game with will get him right away.
If you manage to be late and try getting him after that date, you can still try to find him by killing Possessed Armors.

Also, pro tip, you can make them wear vanity gears by placing them on any slot in the first row of the inventory.

Enjoy!

Ps:. Thanks to Nemesis, I guess I have fixed a serious aiming issue the guardians were having.

So, do you like Nemesis? Then here are some fixes for it, alongside some other stuffs too.
Nemesis npc will now only spawn from Possessed Armors when you haven't met it yet.
Nemesis equipments will now be loaded when necessary.
A number of tweaks on a number of guardian dialogues.
The guardians will no longer ask you to defeat Hardmode Dungeon monsters before you have defeated Plantera.
Your guardian will now face enemies when using light or heavy swing attack weapons.
Your guardian will no longer try to jump tall tiles when being pushed to it, and not moving.
Increased the distance the guardian stays away from monsters when using magic weapons.
The Nemesis is no longer unknown to the mod, meaning It will be able to spawn by itself if you met it.
You will now be able to have 3 guardian requests active at a time.
Not only now your guardian will try picking your character up/reach your chraracter when you use the Mount command, but also added a mount and dismount animation (there is no animation if the guardian mounts on your shoulder).
Nerfed Zacks bonus defense rate from 20% to 10%.
Non human like Guardians like Rococo can have some head equipments shown as vanity gear.
Functions somewhat like how Nemesis handles his vanity gears. It will first try using the equipped item, then check if there is any equipment on the first inventory row.
The guardians will now try using a potion suitable for their current health state.
Added a mini tutorial for starters on the mod. I hope they mind to check the chat.
Of course, existing characters wont see the tutorial.
Guardians now starts with initial items.
Added new shields for your guardian to use.
The game is now aware of the biome around your Guardian follower.
Informational accessories effects on your currently summoned guardian inventory or equipment will now be displayed on your hud, if the guardian is near you.
Large guardians will no longer show death messages suggesting that was attacked by multiple npcs, when being defeated by only one.
Fixed a bug where if a guardian dies while attacking with a spear, your character would be useless until it revives.
Guardians will now only attack monsters if their aim is locked on them.
Your guardian will now be placed on your character position, when you tell it to get off your mount.
Added a little hitbox height discount when the guardian is sitting on your mount. That will reduce the chances of suffocation when travelling through the desert, by using the Basilisk mount.
AFK Abuse counter were removed from the mod, but the guardian gained another behavior to take action when the player is afk while in combat.
Before: Being afk while near the guardian, leaving it do the combat alone for 3 minutes, resulted in it taking a mischevious behavior, picking up your character and ramming on the monsters.
Now: There will be no change of behavior during the time passed afk, but if the guardian gets knocked out after 3 minutes afk, It will be automatically dismissed.
That does not happen if you have enough friendship to make the guardian no longer mind you going afk.
You may be wondering: "Why did you remove AFK abuse, that will make people abuse of the guardians even more.". Then I answer: It was stupid.
I've completelly removed that, and instead made the guardian go away if you let it die after some time while afk, like as If It was saying something very insulting to the player. In the future I may add a better afk penalty system, but for now, that will stay.

Ever since I saw Rococo defending my character from the Twins, I've been wondering about the possibility of adding buddy interactions the player could have with the guardian, to make things cooler, but right now the only idea I got was of adding a healing spell book for the player to use and heal the guardian.
I'm sure It will be fun if one helps the other, or plays with the other.

Since the mod has stepped ahead in the development compared to early posts, I guess I can now allow people to create their own guardians to the mod. Currently I'm trying to think how I could do that without having to send me the guardian infos and sprites and then come on a future update, possibly I'll make use of ids and the mod name, but for now, let's make use of the first alternative.

I'll post somewhere what you need to do to create your own guardian in the mod.

Until then, see ya next time.

Edit:. Oops, I forgot. Happy Halloween guys. Be sure to show prints of the looks of your characters and your nemesis.

I’m extremely happy and appreciative to see the NPPlayers system come back, and I like how you implemented it. I’m very satisfied with it so far, and thank you for bringing it back and onto tModLoader.

Unfortunately, I’m experiencing game crashing/freezing a lot with it (I’m very, very early in my playthrough, and the game is most often crashing shortly after I boot my world back up). I’m pretty sure it’s this mod since I’ve disabled it and played with all of the other mods I was already playing with, and the game didn’t crash nearly as often. I’m going to try playing with a smaller game window to see if it lessens, but that’s really inconvenient when I want to see more of the area. I’m not sure if this is widely known or if others are even experiencing it as much as I am, but I wanted to bring it to your attention.
As a side note, I am playing with a few other large mods (the Ori one, Calamity and its music, Overhaul, for example).

Does the mod shows any kind of error window when it crashes?
Also, what were you (or the guardian) doing when the freezes/crashes were happening?

There’s no error window; the game just freezes completely.

also, I removed everything from my guardians’ inventories and made them not collect loot, and the game stopped crashing for now. I think it has something to do with the inventory system.
As some side notes:
- Terraria is the only major program I’m running
- Frame skip doesn’t matter
- Quality doesn’t matter
- Game crashed more frequently underground (but did often crash on the surface at times as well)
- Not sure if weapons cause any possibility of it, but boomerangs, swords, amethyst staff, wand of sparking, bow and arrows, enchanted sword, starfury, and arkhalis for sure did not freeze the game when the guardians used them.

Also forgive me for using “freeze/crash” interchangeably; in my situation, they’re basically the same result of ending my current game. I’m just not getting error messages.

The loot system is still giving problems? I did some changes to it on the currently under development version, but I dunno if will make the mod cause less problems related to item looting. Also, having items on their inventory probably wont cause problems, since they don't check it every frame.

Oh, just to sum up. The mod currently has an issue that causes it to use way more physical memory than necessary, that issue will be fixed on the next update, but I dunno if I'll be able to launch the newest TerraGuardian with that update.

Fixes are probably better before content. But yeah, after disabling looting, my guardians aren’t freezing my game anymore.

And thanks once again for making awesome mods and keeping NPPlayers alive!

Guys, this update is bigger than you think.
Guardians now holds the torches correctly.
Immortal npcs no longer gets hurt by the guardian backfire damage.
Fixed a hand confusion that happened sometimes to the guardian, when holding off hand items.
The guardian will now try throwing the best potion as possible on you, when you are hurt.
Nerfed the Wooden Greathammer damage.
  • Damage went from 19 to 12.
Your guardian is no longer defenseless when you're dead, and it's far away from you.
Armor Wraith sounds have been changed to be more like a "Wraith", instead of a "Player".
Guardians mounted on your character shoulder, or sitting on your mount will have the left arm and leg be shown in front of the player.
  • There will be a few moments where some animations will have part of the mount or the player body passes through the guardian body, can't really do anything about that right now, without breaking the sprites. (Ex:. Ufo Mount)
Items used by the guardian will no longer get scale changes.
The guardian will now follow the height offset caused by the mount animation, alongside the player riding it, when sitting on the mount.
I don't know how, but item tooltips are being showing correctly on the guardian inventory.
Your guardian will no longer spam that it's inventory is full.
Guardians now correctly rotates with the player when mounted on the player mount, or mounted on the player while in a mount.
Your guardian will no longer spazm it's wings while mounted and trying to jump.
Guardians using wings and using magic weapons will now try to fly closer to the target they want to attack, if they are far higher than them.
Using the Mount order will now make your guardian dismount from your mount, if it is.
Rococo gained a review on a number of his dialogues.
Zacks sprite of when sitting on your mount's right (left) arm has gained a revamp. Now his right arm is shown holding your character to not fall off the mount.
Nemesis now is shown holding your character with his left (right) arm when sitting on your character mount. Good thing that It doesn't uses the right arm, neither can see it.
Removed a clunky system I had implemented because didn't got at the time how mod file works, now the mod takes way less physical memory to run.
Your guardian will now take arm range in consideration when checking if can attack an enemy.
  • The arm range currently is the one of a normal swing.
Rocket boots no longer will have hard times making your guardian go higher.
Cloud accessories no works partially as intended, effects still to come.
If a Guardian uses the Throw Potion action, and the target is currently with potion sickness:
  • Instead of giving an extra healing, the player will instead complain about being hit by the potion.
  • The damage displayed after being hit by the potion is just an effect for humoristic purpose.
If your guardian is teleported to your character position while being pulled by the chain, will now make it teleport with it's aim too.
Did a change on how the mod checks the level of the guardians outside your party, when using NExperience mod.
  • You will need the mod at version 1.3.1 or higher to make use of the changes.
  • Their level will be set to the level of the strongest player in the world.
  • If there is an npc stronger than that player, the level will be set to the one of that npc.
Your guardian item collection range has been improved. It will no longer be a sacrifice for it to loot items, or even need to duck to get it.
Sardine's Bounty Quests are in.
  • After talking to Sardine about it, and placing a sign at his house, he will place requests to kill tough monsters that appears on certain places of the world.
  • Those bounties will reward players who completes it with a good sum of coins and some items, includding angler rare accessories.
  • Placing an Announcement Box on his house will tell you a brief information about the bounty, like name, location it appears and it's most important rewards.
Guardian sitting on your mount will now aid you on looting items.
You no longer need to have the guardian summoned to give it a present. Just talk it in it's house with a present in the inventory.
Reduced the length of Blue's arm on the end of the light vertical swing animation.
Changed Rococo's ducking attack animation. It's no longer a copy/paste of the heavy swing animation.
Your guardian will no longer jump to a horizontal direction if it has dodged an attack while having knockback immunity accessory.
The Guardian selection window now shows the mod the guardian originates from.
Other mods can now add their own custom guardians to the mod.
  • This system needs some further testing to see if it works 100%, so be sure to backup your saves even if you don't use custom guardians.
Oh boy, so many changes, where do I begin? Oh, from the beggining. *Just kidding*
But first, a word from our sponsor:

index.php
"Sardine: Hey you, do you know how boring it is to stay at home? There is literally not much to do, or any excitement and fight. That's why I decided to open a Bounty Hunting office on my house, I'll try sharing with you the bounties I receive, and in the end we share the lucre, even If I do not participate the fight.

Are you interessed? Just place any sign at my home, and I'll place there informations about the bounty."

Yes, I added a Bounty Hunting quest system to the mod, once they surge, they will tell where the monster will spawn, and you must cause a true mayhem at It's home to lure out the "evil things doer" guy. Those bounty targets are stronger versions of normal monsters, so fight them with care.

I've been able to fix the Guardian drawing issues, aswell as adding a "foreground" layer to their sprites, that will be mostly effective when the guardian is sitting on your character mount, or in some cases when mounted on It's shoulder.

Another change you should notice, is that now anyone who can create a mod can create It's own custom guardians. Lorewise, "Due to the veil of the Ether Realm thinning, Guardians from other worlds are able to access Terrarians world.". The veil thinning part of the plot brings that as a good part, the bad part may be coming in a future update.
I will need some time to write a guide on how to do that, but until then... Well... Just wait. Also due to that, Version 35 will take some time before it changes to 36, because I'll start using the other numbers in the dots to set as the mod version, because If I change the first number, mods using that mod as a refference will be broken, so that means anyone who made a TerraGuardian for the mod would be unable to play with it, due to the version change of the mod.

The TerraGuardian npcs also got a change in their leveling rules on NExperience mod, the rules are in the patch note, at least now they wont be extremelly weak based on the game mode you're playing.

And sadly, the newest Guardian, Alex, isn't coming in this update, I need to finish a few things for him, like his dialogues, a few balancing fixes, plus add the recruitment method of him before I launch. That may be coming in the next weeks, but for now, he's not acquireable yet.

Well, enjoy the update.

Creating a Custom Companion.

Since I'm really bad at explaining, you can check here an example companion I made to show how you can make a custom companion in the mod.
Currently, that example allows you to create a Custom Companion, like the TerraGuardians. An example for a Custom Terrarian companion will be coming in the future.

If you want to try out the custom companion, then check out tModLoader - [TerraGuardians] Gaomon Companion.

Last edited:
Nice mod you have here Nakano. While playing it, I noticed that all of the enemies rapidly regain health. Is that a bug or feature? I didn't read it anywhere so i am assuming it's a bug.

Oh boy, I guess I forgot to add an extra conditional check. The modifier of life regen for bounty target should only affect the bounty target. Hahaha.
The bug will be fixed on the next update. Meanwhile... Enjoy the extra difficulty.

Edit:. Oops, I forgot to post this on the guide of creating a custom guardian, beside It's not really related to creating a guardian, will allow one to create their specific items.
The Guardian specific items functions differently from the player weapons, one of the things you notice is that, obviously, only your guardians can use it.

To create a heavy weapon, you must begin the process of making a custom item on the mod, but instead of "ModItem", you have to replace for "giantsummon.Items.GuardianItemPrefab", that is a modified version of the mod item for guardian specific items.

You just need to create the item normally, but pay attention to the new fields It brings, and fill them in depending on the use.
CodeDescription
ItemOriginThis field is very important when making a weapon or held item for your guardian. This will be the point where the guardian will hold the item, that's why their weapons don't follow the design of Terrarian weapons, but they still are able to hold it.
ShotSpawnPositionThis point variable defines the position where the shot will come from, when using this weapon. Extremelly useful for items that shots stuffs, you know.
ProjectileFallRateTo help the guardian AI, fill this with a value if the projectile the weapon shots falls a number of pixels per frame. Wooden Arrows, for example, falls by 8 pixels per frame, so set that as the value If your weapon uses arrows.
ItemStatusScriptThis delegate handles the special effects the item will give to the guardian when equipped. If you want the item to give an extra effect to the guardian, like max health, increased damage and stuff, place the code here.
handPick which hand the guardian will preffer using this item with. Each value is self explanatory, just remember that left is right, and right is left.
HeavyHeavy items changes the function of the item on the guardian. Weapons will use a different animation when the guardian swings it. Armors will drop a bit the movement speed when the guardian is wearing it.
ShieldTells if the item is a shield. Also makes the Block rate make sense.
OffHandItemTells if the item is a offhand item, currently there is no code for telling what happens when your guardian holds an item offhand.
BlockRateIncreases the block rate of the guardian, It wont really work if your guardian isn't using a shield.
Have fun.

Last edited:
New TerraGuardian update came. Alex arrives.
Changed a suffix from a bounty target from the Hallow.
You can now control which guardians will be spawned on your world.
You can have up to 10 guardian npcs in your world.​
If you set them to go home, they will move away after some time, if there is no player near it.​
Making a guardian npc stop spawning on the world will not stop you from calling it to help you.​
Nemesis left (right) arm now changes animation when using an item while sitting on your mount.
The guardians will now gain a boost of status on NExperience mod, they will have the status points for their scaled level distributed between all status demi-equally.
Blind and Blackout debuffs now hurts your guardian Accuracy.
Fixed a potential error when the bounty target would be about to spawn.
Guardians no longer jumps when dodging an attack while using a knockback immunity accessory.
Guardians using full Beetle Shell set will no longer be overpowered tanks.
You can now ask guardians that has a magic mirror in their inventory to teleport you to town.
The mod will no longer show a message on the chat when changing the guardian combat behavior.
Life Regeneration modifier for bounty target will only be under effect to the bounty target, not all monsters in the world.
Increased the delay before a bounty monster with life regeneration modifier regenerates health.
Your guardians can no longer "eat" tiles and wall items.
Acrobatics now increases only based on guardian vertical speed now.
When the guardian gains a level up in a skill, the mod will now tell the highest level achieved for that skill.
The Dungeon Guardian will no longer receive counter damage from the guardian.
Fixed a problem which caused the guardian to misbehave when on the right border of the world (and possibly on the lower border too).
Wall jump added to Guardians.
Added Guardian wing position configuration.
You can configure it on your custom guardians by using "WingPosition" object.​
New TerraGuardian added: Alex.
You'll need a new world to find him. But doesn't means you wont be able to have him at your town after meeting him, just need to have him summoned at least once.​
The guardian skill leveling now has individual progress for each skill.
Well, new update out, and this update brings in Alex, the newest TerraGuardian.

GiantDogGuardian1.png

The only thing he used to do was guard her old partner day and night, until you arrived.
Beside you wont be able to make him stop missing her, you can at least bring him on your adventures, or leave him on your village to play with your town citizens, includding other TerraGuardians.

This is the first TerraGuardian implemented that isn't actually biped, so you can see how important this guy is to the project right now.

Another thing I should talk about, is the fact that now there is a limit of 10 TerraGuardians you can have living on your world. I added this limit for the case this mod ends up getting a lot of guardians (something I don't really think may end up happening) and things get a bit out of hand about overpopulation. Any guardian you have met, you can set on the guardian selection window If they can move in to your world, or if they should go home. That wont influence if you will or not be able to call the guardian to help you on your quest, and by default, newly met guardians will try to move in to your world.

The last thing I'll talk about right now, is about the individual skill leveling on the guardian. The method used on previous updates was the most challenging one to level up, because the maximum exp of the skills was shared, so the max exp was a crazy math based on the total level of all guardian skills. The problem with that system, is that skills like Athletics and Acrobatics would end up being hindered after some time, since combat skills, most likelly the attack skills, would be higher leveled than previously mentioned skills, causing problems on leveling it up.

I kind of think that It may be influenced by the fact I'm using a leveling mod, but that's a question of testing anyway on how individual skill leveling will impact on the gameplay. If you disliked the new skill leveling system, be sure to give me a feedback, I may do changes to it, or just revert to the old system on a future update.

Now talking about something I want to do... Would you guys mind if on multiplayer you can have only up to 100 players online? The question seems silly, but I have something reserved for those other player characters, maybe that will make the TerraGuardians following the player work better on some systems.

Give me a word about that, and see you guys on the next... Post. Because I'm not sure if the next time you guys will read anything from me will be on a future update.

Last edited:
For some reason, the new updates have broken my game. I can move my own character, and my guardian moves too, but everything else is frozen. Projectiles and particles are frozen in place forever, some weapons and tools don't work, items aren't being magnetized like normal, and no enemies are spawning at all. I spawned in some enemies and bosses with CheatSheet, and they're completely frozen, too.
And I overwrote my previous version with this update, so I can't go back to the old version.

1575240102505.png

Attachments

• 1575239839178.png
    1575239839178.png
    1 MB · Views: 181
For some reason, the new updates have broken my game. I can move my own character, and my guardian moves too, but everything else is frozen. Projectiles and particles are frozen in place forever, some weapons and tools don't work, items aren't being magnetized like normal, and no enemies are spawning at all. I spawned in some enemies and bosses with CheatSheet, and they're completely frozen, too.
And I overwrote my previous version with this update, so I can't go back to the old version.

View attachment 230668

Update: I started a new character and world and disabled CalamityMod and Overhaul. This world seems to be working properly so far.

What are house requirements? It says the housing does not meet the requirements for raccoon guardian

Heey, I've seen that behavior before. The game is attempting to pause, but not being able to. That behavior happened when I tried to implement a system to pause the game when making use of the order window, but obviously you aren't using the order window.

The closest guess is that the game is crashing and tModLoader is trying to supress the issue. Try opening the game with the character that behavior happens, trigger it, and then close the game. After that, go to your tModLoader saves folder, then open the Logs folder, and try opening the latest log made.

Once you do that, place the content of it on a site like Pastebin, then place the resulting link here, so I can check that out.

Meanwhile, I'll investigate if the order window pause system is fully disabled.

Edit2:. Holy potatoes, all those affixes and suffixes!

Edit:
What are house requirements? It says the housing does not meet the requirements for raccoon guardian
The housing height requirement changes depending on the guardian height, due to being taller, large guardians like Rococo needs a taller house.
You need to make a house 1 tile height taller to have him move in.

I think I might have discovered the source of the problem. Immediately after I recruited Sardine in the new world, the everything-freezing problem came back. (I already had Rococo and Alex beforehand, and it worked fine). So I guess it has something to do with him somehow.

Let me see about trying to do what you said...

Edit: Pastebin won't let me paste the log because it's over 512 KB and I'm not a pro member. Anything else I can try? A notepad document or something?

Attachments

• client.log
    2.4 MB · Views: 146
I think I might have discovered the source of the problem. Immediately after I recruited Sardine in the new world, the everything-freezing problem came back. (I already had Rococo and Alex beforehand, and it worked fine). So I guess it has something to do with him somehow.

Let me see about trying to do what you said...

Edit: Pastebin won't let me paste the log because it's over 512 KB and I'm not a pro member. Anything else I can try? A notepad document or something?
That works, and bingo! I found out the problem, It's the bounty quest system having problems to find out where the bounty board is.
The fix will be coming later.

Hotfix out.
Telling your guardian to use buff potions will no longer make it spam pet spawning items repeatedly.
Fixed a problem where Sardine's bounty board could glitch your entire world.
The first issue I had to fix after Rococo started spawning too many baby grinchs.

Back
Top Bottom